Originally published June 27, 2008 at 09:32p.m., updated June 28, 2008 at 12:00a.m.

Russell Robinson joins Houston Rockets

Russell Robinson was not among the five Jayhawks that heard their names called at last night's NBA Draft, but the senior guard is NBA bound nonetheless.

Russell Robinson has accepted an invitation to play for the Houston Rockets' summer-league team.

The former Kansas point guard has joined the Rockets as an undrafted free agent.

"I worked out for them twice. They liked me," Robinson said Friday. "They said they can use a guy like me."

Robinson said he was a tad disappointed he wasn't selected in Thursday's NBA Draft. He accepted the Rockets' offer just an hour after the draft ended.

"I wanted to get drafted just to go down in the record books," Robinson said. "But I talked to coach (Bill Self) before the draft and he said it might be best to not get drafted and pick a team or go to a team that really wants me. It's an ongoing audition (for the NBA or Europe)."

Comments

NH_JHawk 12 years, 3 months ago

RR, "NEW YORK, NEW YORK" Thanks for helping the Jayhawks bring home a championship. Best of luck to you!

nmuller11 12 years, 3 months ago

Also I think Houston made a big mistake in not taking Darrell Arthur. He would have really helped them with some athleticism, scoring, and defense. He is better than Luis Scola in those categories.

Keckadek 12 years, 3 months ago

Russell... all i can say is your the man.New York, NY

Dyrk Dugan 12 years, 3 months ago

RR will always have the Jayhawker point guard from New York City that led us to the national title legacy.....good luck Russell!

Gary Bedore 12 years, 3 months ago

I agree Robot. Now he has to play well in Vegas or it'll likely be Europe for him. I hope the Rockets summer league roster isn't full of players. Keith never really got much playing time with the Spurs last summer cause there were a batch of guys on the team. Should be interesting to see if Darnell on the Cavs and Russ on the Rockets get significant playing time in summer league. I think Darnell will for sure.

canuckhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Self. RussRob may not overwhelm you at first sight with his athleticism or physical presence, but he is a winner and a smart NBA team will see that if they are wise enough to take a few looks. Russell is a great KU story. Freshman year were he sat out and chose not to enter the game in Baylor if I remember right. The fans were down on him, many thought he was certain to transfer. He comes back his sophomore year and becomes the heart of this championship team. The New York, New York cheer is a perfect memory for such a special player. It always gave me chills.Good luck with your future pursuits. Thank you Russell.

Dirk Medema 12 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully, RR also has heard loud and clear the rpeated comments from the pre-draft workouts that he needs to be more aggresive. There's not quite the same expectations as Brandon, but it is just occured to me that it is essentially the same thing as it was for BR last year. You are good, NBA good, so show your team and the league with your aggressive drives, dishes, D, and taking/making the open shot.Rock Chalk, NY, NY

nmuller11 12 years, 3 months ago

The Rockets weakness is not having a good point guard. Rafer Alston has no defense and is a poor passer. He is a pretty good three point shooter but inconsistent and not tough like Russell Robinson is. I hope he gets a chance in Houston because I think he can really help the Rockets and actually get minutes. The Rockets virtually have no backup for Rafer who is the reason why they can't get past the first round.

Gary Bedore 12 years, 3 months ago

I think it's significant Russell got an immediate offer from Houston. That doesn't really happen too often.It's usually a few days later.Russell now has pretty much guaranteed himself a good European deal if he doesn't make the Rockets team.It's pretty neat he gets to play in the summer league in Vegas. Remember there are some great great players going to play in the summer league.Good luck to Russ. All KU fans have to love the guy as you all surely do.

yates33333 12 years, 3 months ago

I live in Houston. They need a competitor like Russell. I profoundly hope he makes the roster. As noted, they also need a point guard. With a little experience Russell can fill the bill.

tis4tim 12 years, 3 months ago

I hope Russ sticks with someone whether it's Houston or someone else. Forget "potential". Russ has realized his as a leader on a championship team. Somebody will recognize that.Plus, from all I've read, he was a scorer in high school, but put that aside for the sake of his team in college. Now, he might want to think about bringing a bit more of his scoring mentality back while still being a shut down defensive guy, who gives his all every minute he's on the court. If he does that, he's got a real shot of making a squad.Way to go, Russell!

CasperCorps 12 years, 3 months ago

Was one of my favorite players since his freshmen year.. Russell your already in the record books.. National Title baby, National Title.. Rockem Hawks...

Rick Arnoldy 12 years, 3 months ago

You beat me to it, canuckhawk. I think RR is the classic example of sticking it out when times seem tough. I'm sure he's glad he stayed.

Robin Smith 12 years, 3 months ago

Gary's right about the significance of being invited immediately after the draft. It's almost like a draft pick because obviously they liked RR but didn't feel it necessary to spend a draft pick to get him. If it had seemed likely that another team had equal or greater interest in him, then they very may well have spent a late second on him. Teams are always making picks relative to the other teams, hence potential is important because potentially someone will cash in big, and also hence the trades - teams are picking players other teams want in order to trade them and squeeze the other team for assets. Drafting and Scouting are not only different but sometimes contrary, so the Rockets scouted RussRob and liked what they saw, but the perception was that he was unlikely to actually be drafted so they could just play it cool, pick up a player like Donte Greene who potentially could make them secure, and still get the guy they want.

Gary Bedore 12 years, 3 months ago

In other words, I agree with you dagger.

Jonathan Andrews 12 years, 3 months ago

Aaron Brooks = no roster spot for Russell. BUT, it's a great sign that he's on the NBA's radar. I think Russ will win a couple of c'hips in Europe, and return to the States and play in the NBA.

KEITHMILES05 12 years, 3 months ago

Russ is a great example of sticking to the grind and getting better each year. He's been a great ambassador for KU and will do okay in the future.

Gary Bedore 12 years, 3 months ago

Basically it appears to me the only way to "make a team" is to play well in the summer league games.And play well when you get a 10 day contract.By play well I mean show you can score.Keith Langford seems better when he starts and gets in a rhythm. He never really scored much in summer league or his 10 day contract stint, but he dominated in the NBADL.Aaron also never really did much scoring.Gotta either scorer or make it real easy for teammates to score to impress.