Friday, June 27, 2008

Four different teams owned the rights to Darrell Arthur, who ultimately wound up with the Memphis Grizzlies

The first couple of hours of Thursday night's NBA draft, nobody wanted him.

And then everybody wanted him.

Arthur, because of concerns about the fitness of his kidney, lasted until the 27th pick of the first round.

By the time all the transactions were done, four different teams owned the rights to Arthur at one point or another.

The New Orleans Hornets selected him and then traded him to the Portland Trailblazers, who dealt him to the Houston Rockets, who sent him to the Memphis Grizzlies for Syracuse forward Donte Greene, orignially selected one pick behind Arthur.

Comments

Joshua Hann 11 years, 9 months ago

Kareem is no longer on the Pacers squad. Not sure why that is not being reported. He is a free agent that they are not really looking to resign. Little Rush is on his own for my boys in Gold and Blue.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 9 months ago

I am curious, Truth08--what is Marios and Self's situation?

CasperCorps 11 years, 9 months ago

Only if Authur would of stayed.. He would of been top fifteen next year.. Thanks for the Championship Hawks.. Rockem..

11 years, 9 months ago

kushaw - no problem. I am guessing you may have been somewhat fatigued when you were posting.Lebowski - that's some funny sh*t :o)

11 years, 9 months ago

"I thought it was great Rush being taken in the lottery and I thought Portland would be an awesome fit for the Trailblazers."kushaw - Are the Trailblazers thinking about relocating?Arthur's and Chalmers' drop in the draft may have been a product of waiting too long to sign with an agent. I know they were concerned about possibly getting hurt in the days leading up to the last day they could back out of the draft, thus leaving the possibility of returning to school ala Rush. Overall, it looks like they got some bad information/advice. Hopefully, they will use their selection positions as motivation to excel in the league.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

txrockchalk: No the trailblazers are not relocating, but where it says "Trailblazers" in my post should have been "B Rush". Thank you for pointing that out.Royaljayhawk: Kareem is still with the Pacers and is deciding whether or not to resign due to his free agency. You are right, the pacers are probably not looking to resign him.

hawkitup 11 years, 9 months ago

I didn't catch the 2nd round of the draft so I am glad to hear some of the results! I live in Memphis so I am happy to hear that Arthur is heading this way. Too bad he's going to a messed up organization.That's cool that Chalmers is heading to Miami. Should be good for him. Hope he can learn to play with a former K-Stater. =)

Brad Devlin 11 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure the fans in Memphis will be thrilled to have DA there and will accept him with open arms... Speaking as a fan who lives in Sacramento, I've always detested Bibby and hated that he was on the Kings' roster. As far as I'm concerned, he must have sold his soul for his career night against KU in the tourney and there' a special place in hell for that D-bag. But I'm sure I'm the only one who feels that way and none of the Memphis fans will remember DA's role in derailing their dream season. Now can you imagine if Chalmers had ended up there...

TheTruth08 11 years, 9 months ago

Anybody hear of Mario and Bill Self's situation?

JJHAWK 11 years, 9 months ago

Could this be the rule of money at work?If Indiana sees them as basically the same player, B-Rush should be quite a bit less expensive for the next four years. Or could it be defense? I never thought Kareem played hard D while at Misery; however, Brandon more than once said his older brother was very hard to score against.Guess only the Pacers know for sure.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 9 months ago

So after it's all said and done he actually is worth a 28th pick?

stanfordstarter 11 years, 9 months ago

enough trades already, but I do like the end resulthopefully it will stay this way

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

Well, For the most part my assessments about the draft were almost right on. I think most GM's saw what I've seen about Arthur all along. I've stated in several posts that I always thought Arthur played "Soft" and apparently most GM's thought the same. Maybe the kidney information scared a lot of people. For where Arthur got drafted Memphis got a pretty good value in my opinion. I was hoping Arthur would stay in Portland, but now that he's in Memphis I don't think that is a good fit for him. I feel he's going to get lost in the Memphis Shuffle since their franchise is in complete Chaos. I thought it was great Rush being taken in the lottery and I thought Portland would be an awesome fit for the Trailblazers. Then he got traded to Indiana. Did anyone else think this was a little weird odd? Kareem and Brandon on the same team? I think that is great and terrible at the same time. Just being brothers playing on the same team and playing in the NBA together is really cool, but they both play the same position. I think it could stir up the pot a little. I would have liked to have seen Rush go to a contender since everyone thinks he is so NBA ready. It will be interesting to see how the "Rush" brothers shape out together there in Indiana. I was really hoping Chalmers would get picked up by Boston with the 30th pick. That is where I initially had Chalmers going. I was only off 4 picks with him going 34th, but the fact he is going to Miami is a pretty sweet deal for him. I was terrified for him to go up to Minnesota, but once that trade was announced and he was heading to Miami; I breathed some fresh air. Miami will be a good fit for Chalmers and has the opportunity at some immediate playing time. I wish he could have been drafted in the first round to give himself the "gurantee", but I think he'll be okay.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

I also like the fact that D-Block will be in Miami with both Beasley and Chalmers. Good draft for Miami and I think D-Block will have an opportunity at a role position. He'll learn from Haslem. To those individuals who didn't think Kaun would get drafted...........All I can do is laugh at you. Here are some posts from earlier in the week that I can't help, but copy for everyone to view and mock. JRoss: "Kaun will not be drafted. He wont be for a combination of two reasons that, when put together, will eliminate him from the draft. His draft stock was already low but when you mix in the fact that he's earmarked to play overseas for 3 years (and perhaps longer because he wont get paid here what he does there), teams will not want to give a draft pick away for a player who wont pay dividends for that long."Afilmer: "BS kushaw -my boy sasha just threw his association card away. nobody will draft him and many have said that he had a promising career ahead of him.the only way this makes sense is if sasha's deep desire was to go home - and let's face it - he had less complaints than robinson and jackson.i was looking forward to watching him and now i am sad. and by the way - this year's olympic team will obliterate all challengers. USA gold by 20 a game."

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 9 months ago

Arthur had horrible handlers of his situation. Not getting a REAL agent who knew what the heck was going on has cost him millons. I feel badly for the guy cause he really comes across as a sincere, likeable guy. I do hope he gets professional people taking care of his business and gets rid of family/friends for advice.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

I agree keithmile! Somebody definitely dropped the ball and misrepresented Arthur or didn't represent him at all. I still think that a lot of GM's were still sour on Arthur because of his combine results and his overall "Soft Play". However, the combining of this so called Kidney ailment did not help out matters at all. I would be firing somebody in Arthur's camp.

cobweb 11 years, 9 months ago

Underclassmen take note. These agents had 50 kids thinking they were sure lottery picks. Chalmers and Arthur should have stayed in school. Also, does Arthur have health issues or not? If so, thinking he could hide something was foolish. These guys do their homework. You should be upfront with all tests made available.