Originally published June 26, 2008 at 07:51p.m., updated June 27, 2008 at 01:18a.m.

Five Jayhawks drafted, then traded: Brandon Rush and Darrell Arthur chosen in first round; Mario Chalmers, Darnell Jackson and Sasha Kaun selected in second round

A group of Jayhawks, from left, Darrell Arthur, Mario Chalmers, Sasha Kaun, Brandon Rush and Russell Robinson, stand together in this file photo from Austin, Texas. The five, plus Darnell Jackson, will learn their fate in the NBA Draft tonight in New York.

Videos

Jayhawks selected in the 2008 NBA Draft

video thumbnail

A total of 5 Jayhawks were selected in the 2008 NBA Draft, tying the all-time record.

Kansas University tied a record with five players chosen in Thursday's NBA draft. All five players were traded by the teams that selected them and Darrell Arthur was dealt three times.

Brandon Rush was taken 13th in Thursday night's NBA draft, Darrell Arthur 27th, Mario Chalmers 34th, Darnell Jackson 52nd and Sasha Kaun 56th.

The Portland Trailblazers selected Rush and traded him in a five-player deal to the Indiana Pacers. Darrell Arthur, reportedly because of concerns over the health of his kidney, slipped all the way to 27th, where the New Orleans Hornets selected him and traded him to the Trailblazers, who dealt him to the Houston Rockets, who then traded him to the Memphis Grizzlies. Chalmers slipped into the second round and was selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves, who were making the pick for the Miami Heat. The Heat will send two second-round picks and cash to the Timberwolves in exchange for the rights to Chalmers.

The Miami Heat selected Darnell Jackson with the 52nd pick and later dealt him to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Kaun was selected by the Seattle SuperSonics, who sent him to the Cavaliers.

After selecting Rush, Portland traded him, Jarret Jack and Josh McRoberts to the Pacers for draft choice Jerryd Bayless and veteran Ike Diogu. All draft-night trades were pending league approval. Rush's trade to Indiana put him on the same team his brother, Kareem, played for last season. He is a free agent uncertain if he will return to the Pacers.

Arthur slipping so far in the draft became a mystery that ESPN's Ric Bucher attempted to clear up by revealing that multiple NBA general managers told him that they learned of kidney concerns regarding Arthur, requested results of lab work and were not given them.

Asked about the condition of his kidney by ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, Arthur said, "My health is fine. I took another blood test in Washington and everything came out fine, but I guess those guys never contacted anybody. Everyhting is cool."

Kansas tied an NBA draft record by having five players chosen in the same draft. UConn (2006) and Florida (2007) had five players taken in previous drafts.

Comments

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

I'm surprised about the "kidney issue." You'd think an in-depth physical would be one of the FIRST things that you would have to go through.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Unfortunately, Brandon and D.A. won't be together in Portland. That would have been pretty cool.

rcaltrider 11 years, 7 months ago

HUUUUGE mistake by Mario!! I feel bad for him. I don't know if people were lying to him or he just chose to believe what he wanted to believe. But, this is why you can't take the chance if you are not guaranteed a 1st round spot. He may have cost himself a ton of money. I hope he makes it somewhere and will always be a huge fan. But I think it is undeniable he made a big mistake in leaving.

Alan Braun 11 years, 7 months ago

Willy Walker was a pee brain to stay in the draft in the 1st place. But at least we won't have him using the Allen Field House sideline as a urinal anymore.

jayhawkgl 11 years, 7 months ago

Darnell a better pro than Wayne? Blasphemy or the truth?

ku98 11 years, 7 months ago

Mario, keep your chin up... think about Gilbert Arenas, Carlos Boozer, Rashard Lewis, Manu Ginobili, Michael Redd... Excellent NBA players who were picked in the 2nd round... I am rooting for you, man!

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Yep...and to think Chad Forde of ESPN had Chalmers going No. 12!!!!

Chris Weaver 11 years, 7 months ago

rush is going to be traded to indiana for bayless.rush and rush.

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

hate to see aurther slip so far down in the draft. its too bad because i thought he said he would only stay in the draft if he were chosen in the top 15. oh well.....

Ben Kane 11 years, 7 months ago

this is not what i had been hoping for

apeoples410 11 years, 7 months ago

Rush is going to Indiana, not Portland.

U2freak 11 years, 7 months ago

I think both Chamlers and Self were badly misinformed about Chamler's stock...it sounds like he had some great workouts, that's why Chamlers sounded very confident about staying in the draft, so did Self...Man it is really defeating I feel mightily sorry for Chamlers.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

I think it's a moot issue...I'm pretty sure both signed with agents.

rcaltrider 11 years, 7 months ago

NBA GMs are about the dumbest group out there. George Hill before Mario Chalmers??!! They are about the same size and Mario has played against far superior competition and in much bigger situations. I'm sure Mario could have easily averaged 21+ pts at IUPUI. Not to mention some the stiffs (foreign and domestic) that have been chosen at forward ahead of DA. This is stupid!

Michael Foulston 11 years, 7 months ago

Randolph Morris declared out of high school, so he was under different rules. Does anyone have any clue about this kidney issue?

ku98 11 years, 7 months ago

I like Mario in Miami. Jason Williams is getting old, and the other PGs are Marcus Banks and Chris Quin. Looks to me like Mario could get significant PT alongside Dwyane Wade.... and I just saw that DJ is going to Miami too...

Jayhawks09 11 years, 7 months ago

If you are not drafted then you can come back. Look at Randolph Morris from Kentucky he did not get drafted and was able to sign as a free agent right when the college season ended.

tis4tim 11 years, 7 months ago

Cassell ain't gonna be around forever...

rockchalk80 11 years, 7 months ago

Darrell and Mario... still waiting... and the slug Koufos taken before either of them!

Dan Harris 11 years, 7 months ago

Looks like Mario won't be going inthe first round. This should make a lot of under classman reconsider leaving early next year.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Hmmmm...don't know that the Celtics need a PG.

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 7 months ago

Does that count as the "third Jayhawk" drafted?

Alan Braun 11 years, 7 months ago

Well I guess pee boy gets picked after all, #47 by Washington. I'd have liked to see him go undrafted, he's such a low life. Oh well...

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

on a lighter side of things.....he's gone from making potentially 1.8million/ year to making 1.3millin/year.this assuming he gets drafted before the #25 spot.

Ben Kane 11 years, 7 months ago

I think chalmers would have been back next year for sure if he hadn't hit "the shot". He probably heard from too many people that type of exposure would not be able to be duplicated again next year. Unfortunately, i think he would have a had a tremendous senior year. I wonder how long his dad will stay with us?...

tis4tim 11 years, 7 months ago

Missed it by that much. Nice going, Mario!

palewhale 11 years, 7 months ago

Minn. might be a good fit. He's the 2nd best player on the team behind Mayo :)

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 11 years, 7 months ago

I'm excited to see what Mario can do with the Heat. Darrell got ripped off, I could barely watch it. Congrats Rush. Darnell I couldn't be happier for you, congrats I hope you do well in the NBA. Sasha best of luck in Russia. Russell i hope your career isn't over cause I would sure like to see you play again.

palewhale 11 years, 7 months ago

That "kidney issue" must be a big concern.

canuckhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

I thought Detroit would be it. He is just the kind of guy for Dumars. I knew Memphis would be out. He can't be liked in that city! Celts probably could use a defensive PG, but not more than another Big, like Jordan.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, but I don't claim J.R. as a Jayhawk.

Jayhawks09 11 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully DA and Chalmers won't get drafted at all and did not hire agents, and therefore would be able to come back!!!

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

He's going to serve as a cautionary tale for future Jayhawks!!!!!

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

THANK GOD!!!!!Goin' to hang with Julian.

palewhale 11 years, 7 months ago

I think mario could get some playing time in Boston...come on Boston!

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Don't get me wrong...I'm certainly not going to miss that world-class punk!!!!

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

i just asked the buzzmaster on espn draftcast about DA....he said that Andy Katz should be reporting something on DA soon.

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

so it all comes down to this......come on celtics

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully, D.A. uses this experience to his advantage and proves to all those who picked before N.O. that they made a HUGE mistake...you know...much like Paul Pierce eventually did.

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 7 months ago

jross,My apologies regarding Wright. I just never could see what others see in the guy.And as a fellow Benedictine Raven your credibility has just went up in my book.

Jayhawks09 11 years, 7 months ago

Arthur to Cleveland with Lebron = Championship

stanfordstarter 11 years, 7 months ago

good pick congrats rush, wouldve like to see him play for the suns though

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

I'm guessing D.A. shouldn't have refused to work out for some teams.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

I thought San Antonio was a lock for Mario.

John Baker 11 years, 7 months ago

He's going to make his money, no doubt. It will just be more towards the back end of his career than the front.

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

rumors are Older Rush may not be back with indiana next year

Dan Harris 11 years, 7 months ago

If Mario is selected in the 2nd round how can he sign as a free agent?

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

At least Willy Walker hasn't been tabbed yet.

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

by the way...when you are selected in the second round the team that drafted you has your rights for a limited time. they're not obligated to give you a contract. should they opt not to sign their draft pick, that player then becomes a free agent. thus the importance of being a 1st round pick.

Joe Ross 11 years, 7 months ago

Kevin Pritchard will take care of you, DA!

woodhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

I'm still in shock that Mario slipped so far. Everyone seemed so high on his workouts. Overall, though, GREAT draft for all KU players! Great work guys and good luck!

justanotherfan 11 years, 7 months ago

I'm surprised that Arthur is still there. I thought for sure he was gone when Washington and Cleveland had their picks.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Nope...wouldn't trade "the shot" for anything!!!!!

NH_JHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

adam-From ESPN:Updated: June 26 -- 10:52 p.m. ETThe Miami Heat have acquired the draft rights to Mario Chalmers from the Minnesota Timberwolves for cash and two second-round picks, according to a league source.Looks like Mario and Beasley are teammates.

apeoples410 11 years, 7 months ago

This is brutal. I bet Arthur wishes he would have come back for another year.Good luck to Arthur and Chalmers. They'll get seleted eventually.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

I agree, kutravis. It all seemed to work out for the Hibatchi.

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 7 months ago

I think it is safe to say the players that excelled as team players and schools that were team oriented did not fair well in the draft again. Its all about the one-on-one show. If the NBA wants to feature one-on-one they need to bring back the one-on-one compitition they had from the 1970's.Some one explain to me the Hornets logic in trading away Arthur and keeping "Bricks" Wright.

Joe Ross 11 years, 7 months ago

Darrell Arthur still in the Green Room.

Joe Ross 11 years, 7 months ago

BC RAVENIts an arbitrary thing to base an impression on, perhaps, but Ive always esteemed you highly simply because we share an alma mater. I went to BC. Having said that, I take exception to your characterization of Julian. It almost angers me. There have been Hawks who have gone on to not do so well, but in my opinion none of them deserve venom especially after having represented KU well. Why pick on Julian?

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 7 months ago

It's a state of Kansas love fest for the Heat. Mario, Darnell and Beasley....KU, KU and K-State. Now there's an interesting set of mates.

ku98 11 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe San Antonio picked Hill from UIPUI, instead of Mario... I am shocked...

NH_JHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

jross1972 - I bet you think this draft is about you. Dont you? Dont you?I heard that song today while walking thru Lowes and had to laugh.

mariochalmersfan15 11 years, 7 months ago

i agree with you that mario and darrell should have stayed another year...there stocks would have went up a lot....and im glad da is going to portland and rush to indiana...and is chalmers being traded or not...jackson got 52nd and kaun got 56th by seattle

Joe Ross 11 years, 7 months ago

This is a disappointment, concerning Darrell.

apeoples410 11 years, 7 months ago

George Hill over Chalmers??? Things are getting nuts!!!!

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

if Chalmers isnt taken in the first and is still around late in the second....he'll go to san antonio and get a free agent contract. going late in the first gives him a low guaranteed contract. if he were to go in the second he can sign as a free agent and doesn't have to follow the 1st round draft pick rules in terms of salary guidlines. there's still the potential he could make more than DA if he goes in the 2nd and signs with a team

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

wow....just looked up the rookie salaries for picks 20-30 looks like the millions are just hundreds of thousands instead....900K - 700ka millionare DA will not be...this year

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

only two picks left and chalmers may be out of guaranteed money....scary scary

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

A lot of people were blowing smoke up D.A.'s a$$.

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

they can't come back...they would have had to withdrawn by jun 16th...plus DA hired an agent

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

is da the only guy left sitting in the crowd? i feel real bad for he and his family.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

They CAN'T come back...they missed the deadline to withdraw!!!!!

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Apparently, D.A. was listening to the WRONG people!!!!!

justanotherfan 11 years, 7 months ago

I can sort of understand Chalmers still being there, but Arthur is too talented to still be on the board. This kidney thing must be really bad for him to be left on the board into the mid and late 20s. Some of the people getting taken now are just unknown guys. There are some big time guys on the board and they are grabbing random guys.

Patrick Leiker 11 years, 7 months ago

Kevin Pritchard trades up to take two Hawks. Brandon and Arthur going to Portland.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

I believe Gilbert Arenas went through something similar to what kutravis is describing. If so, it definitely seems to have worked out for him.

Joe Ross 11 years, 7 months ago

A guy from Western Kentucky goes over DA? This is painful to watch.

rcaltrider 11 years, 7 months ago

Now there are about 15-18 teams you can go out and stick it to on a regular basis DA!! Go dominate JJ Hickson, Speights, et al and make the GMs look as dumb as they are.

oh, i might be wrong...those are the numbers from the 05-06 season

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

The Sean Elliott experience must be scaring off all the teams.

kutravis 11 years, 7 months ago

holy sh$!...are you kidding me JR over Chamlers....this is a bittersweet day for me.

KGphoto 11 years, 7 months ago

Call me when things settle. I'm sure there are about 300 trades left before this scam is over.I hear that Russ had a chance with the GlobeTrotters but he was traded six times and ended up with the Traveling Wilburys.Why do we bother watching this mess?The fact that the Celtics took Giddens over Chalmers was all I needed to see. And what happened to the Hornets and Spurs guarantees?

palewhale 11 years, 7 months ago

I think they've missed the deadline to withdraw their names from the draft. Since it's draft night...just guessing.

rcaltrider 11 years, 7 months ago

pleiker, Brandon isn't going to Portland. He's going to play with his brother in Indiana.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 7 months ago

DA was ALREADY going to Portland...the deal was made yesterday. Some bad advice here again for sure. all these upside international guys go before these 11 point, 7 rebound, 6 assists guys. the NBA really doesn't care how many championship shots you hit...you still have to have the numbers. and Mario and Darrell didn't...ergo the stock fell bad.If Arthur stays and goes 19 and 10 for next year...he's a lottery pick for sure, ....and i think he would be able to take care of his kidneys better. I've said it from the start....both Mario and Darrell should have stayed, plain and simple. they could have had the enjoyment in basking in the glow of coming off of a championship...and then tried to do it again. It's really sad, how the NBA draft and it's stupid rules, (guaranteed money 1st round, age limit and all) affect the collegiate game.

Dan Harris 11 years, 7 months ago

This SUCKS! Who were the IDIOTS our guys were listening to! I really feel bad for Mario and DA they deserve better.

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 7 months ago

Eh, kutravis? Then why have a second round in the draft?

rcaltrider 11 years, 7 months ago

Joey Dorsey, enjoy your seat on the bench playing behind DA!!

klineisanazi 11 years, 7 months ago

chuckberry..i would say he will stay until we need another package deal to win a NC.....

Ed Fox 11 years, 7 months ago

Would we trade "the shot" to have Mario back next year? I'm guessing not from most people on this board - and ultimately probably not from Mario too.

Joe Ross 11 years, 7 months ago

i hope Darnell Jackson gets drafted. Sasha's got his.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 7 months ago

Guess Mario should have stayed after all. I wish he could have gotten a better indication of his stock. Those mock drafts were way off.

kltbadboyz 11 years, 7 months ago

Wish Rush could have stayed with the blazers because they get oden back and should be in the playoffs. Brandon would of been a perfect fit on the wing along with Brandon Roy, Oden and Aldridge. If Shady remains in Portland, it might be hard to get pt because he has alot of guys to beat for Pt. (Aldridge, Frye, Lafrentz, and Dorsey) Portland and Seattle are loaded with picks. Mario in Miami is a great pick, has a chance to start.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 7 months ago

Wow, Bill Walker and J.R. Giddens will be teammates...good grief, it's mix and match night between the grapes and KU! lol

TtownHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

great draft for our guys. tied for the most selections in one draft ever correct?

PeteJayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Keegs:Though you should pick up a copy of Strunk & White sometime.Though you apparently have no idea how sentence make should you.Though job keep work good up.

jedarchul 11 years, 7 months ago

Latest word is DA to Houston... makes more sense, he should be able to contribute immediately on a playoff caliber team.Mario missed out on his guaranteed payday but I like where he ended up. I about threw up all over myself after Minn drafted him, but he'll be in the mix to start or at least play some quality minutes for a dangerous Heat team. Hopefully D-Jax can work his way into a roster spot.Rush should be able to get immediate PT, but it will prob be at the expense of his brother. Hard to know exactly what to expect out of that team though.It appears Sasha has some NBA options down the road if he chooses to pursue them.I've gotta say, this draft really baffled me pretty much from the 4th pick on. Never really been sold on Westbrook. I mean I know he's a freakish athlete, but what's the value of a guard that can't shoot, has no court vision, and minimal passing skill. Not to say that his abilities shouldn't land him in the first rd, but lottery?? The kid from Rider at 12? Really???Holy crap, I just reviewed the 1st rd after Rush at 13 and I'm hard pressed to find more than 2 or 3 picks that makes the least bit of sense to me. The DA kidney thing doesn't make sense. Sounds like he has been tested on multiple occasions with no problems. I don't get it. All these 7' 195 lb foreign players that may or may not even come to the US after "developing" for 2 or 3 more years overseas? Hill from IUPUI?!! WTF??? And all the trades... yeesh...Oh well, I guess it's good that they've got a chance to show what they can do. Kind of a baptism by fire to the meat market that is the NBA. I wouldn't be shocked to find RussRob fighting his way onto a team somewhere over the offseason as well. Give 'em hell 'Hawks!!!

Matt Lacey 11 years, 7 months ago

It was almost worth seeing DA and MC get shafted by the show to see Kaun and DJ get drafted. I'm happy 2 great guys, hard workers, who really grew as players and people at our alma mater are continuing to live their dream. I thought for sure that Boston would give up on Rondo and take MC. Ironic that CDR slipped to round 2 also.

Jayhawks09 11 years, 7 months ago

Sasha Kaun and Darnell Jackson both traded to the Cavs!!! Lebron, Sasha, and Darnell = Championship

Billy Derringer 11 years, 7 months ago

ok-my head is still spinning, the nba is totally crazy, all the moves are just wimms by the GMs- i didnt see anything that said hey were taking charge of this draft, it was just a meragoal round. The oversees players i thought they were to highly picked for not knowing even if there to withstand the NBA brute and force......one last thing J.R. GIDDENS suprised me for being able to put the B.S. behind him and make his dream come true-- suprising he went in the first==all five jaybirds have left a legacy that will be rember for ages way to rock out boys...ILL TAKE ONE EVERY FIVE YEARS BILL AND YOUR THE CRAFTY-SLY MAN TO DO IT...