Monday, June 23, 2008

Hesston High lineman commits to Kansas

Riley Spencer, a 6-foot-6, 254-pound offensive tackle from Hesston High, has orally committed to Kansas University's football team, Rivals.com reports.

Spencer had received early offers from Kansas State, Texas Christian and Miami (Fla).

"The facilities at Kansas are great," Spencer told Rivals.com. "I've seen them, and I was very impressed with what I saw, but they didn't play a major part in my decision.

"One of the great things about Kansas is my relationship with coach Blaney (Brandon, recruiting coordinator, tight ends coach). I really like him a lot, and he is easy to talk with."

¢

Former KU assistant football coach Tim Allen has been named director of football operations at Michigan State, Spartans coach Mark Dantonio announced.

Allen worked for Glen Mason at both KU and Minnesota.

Dantonio is also a former KU assistant.

Comments

LAJayhawk 11 years, 4 months ago

justanother-Yeah, I saw his picture on Rivals and thought the same thing about his size. He is still pretty young, though, and has a lot of time to bulk up. I have no doubt that's part of what he's working on.

DSommersby 11 years, 4 months ago

Very nice pick up! The Hawks are assembling a nice team of players for future success.

justanotherfan 11 years, 4 months ago

Hopefully this kid fills out a little bit. 6-6 is huge, but 254 is a little light for a D-1 tackle. I'm sure another year in high school and a summer of weights and work with strength coaches will get him where he needs to be.

Jonathan Briles 11 years, 4 months ago

Yeah I saw that picture and thought the same thing, but also thought wow if he is listed as the best O-lineman in Kansas now I wonder how good he will be with some more muscle and training from our coaches.

KU 11 years, 4 months ago

Are we seeing KU begin to dominate the recruitment of top-tier INSTATE football players? Who would have ever predicted THAT about 10 years ago?

LAJayhawk 11 years, 4 months ago

Good correction trojanhawk. Confirmed it is indeed Miami, Florida -- a big difference from the other Miami.Once again, another commitment touting his connection to the recruiting coach (along with the facilities) as his reason for joining Hawk Football. The staff clearly seems to be doing the right things.

actorman 11 years, 4 months ago

"K-State is destined to return to its JC roots just as last year's class indicates."Shame on you, dagger. That's an insulting thing to say about JC's.Another nice pickup for KU. Even if it's true that he's a little on the light side, if Miami (FL, not OH) was recruiting him -- even the weaker version of Miami -- that's a pretty good sign.

number1jayhawker 11 years, 4 months ago

FYI he is up to 265 lbs per the Rivals site.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 4 months ago

It is great to be getting a top KS recruit.There was an interesting article some years ago (I think it was in the KCStar about the time that Magino got here, when Darren Sprouls was graduating from K-State?) about how KU didn't recruit top players in-state or out, during the TA-era. I'm recalling Sprouls being quoted in the article as saying that he had grown up wanting to be a Jayhawk, and would gladly have gone here if we had showed any interest. Sprouls is just the one example that I'm vaguely recalling from the article. K-State is destined to return to its JC roots just as last year's class indicates.Rock Chalk!

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 4 months ago

Awesome ...Who says you can't win with Kansas kids?Just too bad that there aren't more of them.Come on people, to the bedrooms and get to work ...Do it for your alma mater! :D

justanotherfan 11 years, 4 months ago

It's not that you can't win with Kansas players. There are some good ones. It's just that there aren't enough good ones. In 2006, there were 12 ranked D-1 football prospects in Kansas.In 2007, there were 17. In 2008, there are 23.Only this year were there even enough D-1 prospects to make up a full class, not even taking into account duplication or competition. I'm still hopeful that eventually the KSHSAA will realize that in order to produce athletes that can consistently compete at the next level, they must allow our high school coaches to work with their players in the summer, as almost every other state does. Losing the spring and summer months of development keeps all but the most talented kids from having a shot at the next level, not only in football, but also in basketball.

funkitect 11 years, 4 months ago

... correction, make that championship year '92... '96 was my freshman year at KU!

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 4 months ago

My years at Kansas made me bigger ...when I started I looked liked Cheech Marin, when I left I looked like Horatio Sanz! :D

11 years, 4 months ago

seven - I like how we can always count on your self-deprecating humor :o)

rockchalkblock 11 years, 4 months ago

oo yea.. and i remember watching that game at Cessna stadium where we won on the leg of the best kicker ever to grace the Hobb

funkitect 11 years, 4 months ago

ahhh, ryan achilles... probably the man with the best chance to have ever reached the NFL from HHS... blew it all away because fort hays state wouldn't let him play wide receiver as well as kicker...yes, that was a great game, albeit a low-scoring one.and nick, he was my roommate for 3 years in college, so i remember that fondly...well, here's to hesston and all the success we can hopefully continue to enjoy... as i watch from the distance in NYC.

funkitect 11 years, 4 months ago

hey rockchalkblock, no laughing at the Swathers... that's my HS alma mater! they won the 3A state championship my freshman year in '96.there's nothing like having a piece of farm equipment as your HS mascot! ;-)

rockchalkblock 11 years, 4 months ago

hey funktect, that was elation laughter im a HHS alum too, we havent had a D-1 recruit in a while.. last person from hesston on KU squad was Nick Dillon and he was a walk on. As for Rileys weight, he will gain alot you should see his dad...

lollylane 11 years, 4 months ago

The best part about Riley committing to KU is that his entire family are K-Staters. How fun that he picked us over the family favorite.I too was at Cessna for that state championship in '92. Nearly froze to death in the sleet. Well worth it though! Always wished Achilles had gone somewhere besides FHSU.