Saturday, June 7, 2008

KU football notebook

Memorial Stadium plan will add luxury seating

A new outdoor luxury seating section will be installed behind the south end zone of Memorial Stadium, KU athletic director Lew Perkins announced in a letter to Williams Fund members.

The plan calls for the 56-seat section to include 22 flat-screen televisions, an exclusive hospitality area with complimentary beverages and upscale buffets, and luxury chair-back seating.

None of the seats have been sold, associate AD Jim Marchiony said.

"We think these seats will offer a unique combination of location, comfort and service that our fans will be excited to experience," Marchiony said.

The new section will be on display from 5 to 8 p.m. on June 23.

Girard recruit gives KU oral commitment

Darian Kelly, a 6-foot-2, 195-pound senior-to-be from Girard High, has orally committed to Kansas University's football program, Rivals.com reports. Kelly said he received early offers from KU and Kansas State and received heavy interest from Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. Kelly was recruited as a safety.

Kelly's oral commitment brings the number of non-binding KU commitments for the Class of 2009 to six. The others: safety Prinz Kande, linebacker Earnest Norman from Euless, Texas; cornerback Tyler Patmon from Cedar Park, Texas; running back Deshaun Sands of Coconut Creek, Fla., and the son of former KU running back Tony Sands; and quarterback Jordan Webb of Union, Mo.

KU football to relocate to new complex in July

The KU football program tentatively is scheduled to move its headquarters into the new complex that includes a state-of-the art weight room, coaches offices and academic center, during the week of July 7.

Comments

troutsee 6 years, 3 months ago

Our defense, if it stays humble, should be very, very good, good enough to carry us to Big-12 championship.

FortWorthJayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

I desperately hope that those luxury seats are not going to obstruct the view of the hill! The view from the stadium is too amazing to go and screw it up for a few luxury boxes.

Ryan Gerstner 6 years, 3 months ago

Are you serious? That's the dumbest thing I've heard. There's already a huge scoreboard blocking most of the view anyway. I like seeing people on the Hill adding to the atmosphere around the stadium, but the bottom line is we need every seat in the stadium sold out, every game.

actorman 6 years, 3 months ago

"We think these seats will offer a unique combination of location, comfort and service that our fans will be excited to experience,"Please explain to me how a "location" behind the end zone is so great. I understand wanting to put a luxury section in, but why would anyone want to spend an exhorbitant amount of money and not even be able to see the game properly? Maybe that section is just for those people who aren't real fans and just want to hang out and show how rich they are.

lance1jhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

actorman- I couldn't agree more.As for it blocking the view from the hill... There isn't really a view from up there anyway, with all the hospitality tents and new football offices. However; from my seats at the 50 yard line the view is terrific.

34_5_20_nbaTitle 6 years, 3 months ago

so people who sit in the end zone aren't real fans huh? have you ever been to a football game?

jayhawk02 6 years, 3 months ago

kranny's got it right. If I were older and didn't feel like sitting in some of the incliment Kansas weather, and could afford it, I'd rather sit inside a luxury box where I could watch it on the flat screen and stay warm, dry, cool, etc...... But since I'm younger and poor, I'll sit wherever I can.

kranny 6 years, 3 months ago

As far as the seats go, 22 inch flat screens showing instant replay, complimentary booze and food, plus two quarters of the action coming right at you. I wouldn't mind it.

rolo2383 6 years, 3 months ago

I think this is the next step to more stadium expansion. I still hope someday that they lower the field and add 10,000 to 15,000 more seats. If we put together 5 more solid winning seasons we should be able to put 75,000 fans in that stadium. I also wouldn't mind putting real seats in the stadium. I haven't missed a home game since 1996 and sometimes wish I had something to lean back into. I guess I'm just getting old.

KU 6 years, 3 months ago

This is just the first step in creating demand for more luxury boxes and big money donors. Big Lew knows what he's doing. If we can string together about 5 winning seasons in a row, Memorial Stadium should be ticketed for an expansion to about 75,000.

KU 6 years, 3 months ago

I like the idea of lowering the field and taking out the track. This would create seats closer to the field. (Although I wouldn't want to make the stands as close to the field as OSU.)The drawback of putting in chairback seats is that you would reduce your seating capacity. Rent one of the portable chairbacks if you'd like.