Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Kansas football coach Mark Mangino signs contract extension

Kansas coach Mark Mangino holds aloft an orange as KU athletic director Lew Perkins, right, looks on.

Mangino signs contract extension

Kansas University head football coach Mark Mangino signed a new contract extension today that will keep him on the sidelines for the 'Hawks until 2012.

Turns out, BCS does equal dollar signs for Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino.

Mangino, who led the Jayhawks to a 12-1 record and Orange Bowl victory in 2007, signed a contract extension Tuesday that will pay him $2.3 million a year through 2012 - an increase of $800,000 from his previous deal.

The seventh-year coach is slated to make $229,900 in base salary pay and an additional $1,770,100 per year for "educational, public relations and promotional duties." According to the deal, Mangino also could earn up to $675,000 in performance-based incentives in any given year, as well as a retention payment of $1,500,000 if he remains Kansas' coach through Dec. 31, 2012. The funds used to cover the contract were raised by Kansas Athletics. No tuition dollars or state funds were used.

"I want to thank Chancellor (Robert) Hemenway and (athletic director) Lew (Perkins) for their strong and continued support," Mangino said in a statement. "We all share the same vision for excellence in our football program. I appreciate their support of our mission to keep KU football a nationally ranked and respected program, both on the field and in the classroom."

After going 2-10 in 2002, his first season with the Jayhawks, Mangino has led Kansas to bowl appearances in three of the past five years and, with a 37-36 career record, is the fourth winningest coach in school history.

Before the start of the 2006 season, Mangino signed a five-year contract that would have paid him $1.5 million a year, plus incentives, through 2010.

But 2007 changed all that.

The new deal comes on the heels of what many consider to be the most successful football season in school history. Kansas finished 12-1 (7-1 in the Big 12) and notched its first BCS bowl game victory after beating third-ranked Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl. The Jayhawks finished the season ranked No. 7 overall - the highest finish ever by a KU football team in the Associated Press poll.

In the process, Mangino earned national coach of the year honors from multiple outlets, including Sporting News magazine and the AP.

"This is an appropriate reward for someone who has done a terrific job with the Kansas football program," Perkins said. "Chancellor Hemenway and I think it's important that we not only reward Mark for the job he's done, but also give him the support and stability he needs to keep this football program a successful and nationally respected program."

The Kansas football team opens its season Aug. 30 at home against Florida International.

Breaking It Down

Prior contractTerm: Jan. 1, 2006 - Dec. 31, 2010Base salary: $229,900Professional services: $1,280,000Total: $1,509,000

IncentivesNational championship: $200,000BCS Bowl: $100,000New Year's Day Bowl: $75,000Any other bowl game: $50,000Big 12 Championship game victory: $50,000Big 12 Coach of the Year (Big 12 Coaches or AP): $25,000AP Coach of the Year: $50,00040,000 season tickets sold by Sept. 1: $100,000

New contractTerm: 5 years (January 1, 2008 - Dec. 31, 2012)Base salary: $229,900Professional services: $1,770,100Retention payment: $300,000 per year (earned only if coach remains for five years)Total: $2,300,000

IncentivesNational championship: $225,000BCS Bowl: $125,000New Year's Day bowl: $100,000Any other bowl game: $75,000Big 12 Championship game victory: $75,000Big 12 Coach of the Year (Big 12 Coaches or AP): $50,000AP Coach of the Year: $75,00040,000 season tickets sold by Sept. 1: $125,000

Comments

kuilander 11 years ago

am i allowed to say that he can eat gogators' coach or will i get sued?

11 years ago

GoGators - you don't need a joke - - YOU are the joke.

Jeff Worthington 11 years ago

Mizzou is by far better than KU?????You beat us by 8 points last year. You went 7-1 in the North, we went 7-1 in the North. If you were by far better than us you would beat us by like 30 (like we do to you in basketball), If you were by far better than us, we would've went like 1-7 or 2-6 in the North. About 5 or 6 games behind you guys, (again, kind of like we do to you in basketball) Mizzou has a very good program going, but your idiot fans bring you back down. Come back to this board when you win a BCS bowl, or at least get to one.Go Badgers, GO AWAY!

sdoyel 11 years ago

GoBadgers and GoGators are:A) The same personB) Loser Roommates

finestack 11 years ago

Gators and Badgers...we are blessed with envious fans of TWO programs on the downslope!

Carter Patterson 11 years ago

7year...I'm laughing hysterically. GoBadgers? re your statement..."by far the superior football team" all I can say is....It must really suck to be a Missouri Fan!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a_u0c...

GoGators 11 years ago

Do they have television in Kansas? Seriously. Now, I'm willing to entertain the notion that there is a universe where KU is better than Florida at something. I am. But please, let's not make jokes about championships. I mean, really? You realize the University of Florida has won 3 of the last 5 basketball and football championships, don't you? I'll let that sentence sink in. I mean, we can't expect to win EVERYTHING every year, can we? You were all doing better with the "I know you are but what am I" jokes you've been making since I joined this board. Also, congrats to Fatty McFatface Fatterson for the contract extension.

DSommersby 11 years ago

Congrats to Coach Mangino and his fine players and staff. They all saw wood together to make this program into a winner. Let's take it to even higher levels now. Rock Chalk!

Jonathan Allison 11 years ago

Wow what a great job Coach Mangino has done, and man that's a phat contract. But could the biggest indicator of how far the program has come be that some loser Gators fan has come to kusports.com to stir things up?

sdoyel 11 years ago

Hey if posting on a KU board makes you feel better about yourself then be my guest! Maybe you'll feel like a winner for a change.

Dan Harris 11 years ago

Go Badgers- It must really suck being you. Remind me again how many championships The mighty puuussssyyyyycats have won?

GoGators 11 years ago

Kansas basketball IS impressive. One national championship the last three years is nothing to sneeze at. Can you imagine how awesome it would feel to have TWO of the last three? I mean, can anyone? Can you imagine how awesome it would be to have a football coach who can fit on roller coasters and normal sized chairs?

chicagoeddie 11 years ago

congrats coach! you desreve it and cant wait for the new year!

GoBadgers 11 years ago

The Orange Bowl championship is just the beginning of what? I'm a little confused by that statement. Usually people say that it's just the beginning when they anticipate even more success. But for kU, the Orange Bowl is it. That's the best football season the chickenhawks will ever have and could ever HOPE to have. This is just the beginning of something alright. It's the beginning of a return to suckiness.

sevenyearhawk 11 years ago

... and when the Jayhawk faithful saw that Lew Perkins had not come down from Mount Oread, they took their gold and poured it into a mold and Eldon Teft made them a great statue ...http://beakem.org/images/statue.jpg

sdoyel 11 years ago

MU fans are still bitter? I guess they always are....

sdoyel 11 years ago

BUDDHA!!!!!!!!When are we building a statue? ;)

GoGators 11 years ago

God, he's fat. I don't even have a joke. He's just really, really fat.

GoBadgers 11 years ago

GoBadgers and GoGators are:A) Not the same personB) Not roommates. Though the loser part is definitely accurate. Why else would I be constantly responding to every post from you schmucks?

lance1jhawk 11 years ago

It's awesome to have fans of two previously relevant programs on our board. I guess this means we have made it into the national spotlight. Or... They are just giant douche bags.

killabees 11 years ago

High number of non-KU posters on this thread. Kind of odd. I'll take it as a compliment that our football program is that much more relevant now.I'm glad the Univeristy is taking steps to keep Mangino at KU for a long time. He deserves it, and I'd hate to lose him.

NH_JHawk 11 years ago

CHA CHING! Nice job Coach Mangino.

11 years ago

Nice! Sweet Lew showed Coach Mangino the money big time. The future is looking very bright for KU Football!!

William James 11 years ago

I was talking to a Husker the other day that was certain he was gone now that he has lost some wieght? Its a tough time to be a Husker.

Toto_the_great 11 years ago

Are GoBadgers and GoGators the same person? Signed up about the same time and post on the same thread. Hmmm.

KEITHMILES05 11 years ago

To the people making comments about MM weight word is he is losing weight and it is quite noticeable.Hence, the fat jokes will be minmized and hopefully in due time go away totally.

hardwick15 11 years ago

I love people like GoBadgers and GoGaters. They make me smile. Jealousy must eat away at their souls. Don't worry GoBadgers and GoGaters, it is true. Being a Jayhawk is a great thing. I'll just smile and enjoy our banners. You go enjoy....oh wait. Sorry.

GoBadgers 11 years ago

Just to set the record straight, I am a fan of a program that is far from being on a down slope. Maybe you've all heard of the team I'm a fan of? The University of Missouri Tigers? Fan of kU or not, I think we can all be logical and agree that Mizzou is by far the superior football team. The GoBadgers username is simply a tribute to my favorite animal of all time. And badgers will never be on a down slope. Anybody ever encountered an angry badger? They'll rip you apart before you have a chance to say, "Rock Chalk....OH MY GOD, MY FLESH IS BEING TORN FROM MY BONES!!!"

frompekka2sasha 11 years ago

GoGators- You might want to have your head examined if you seriously believe that Florida is somehow on par with KU in basketball. Know how I know that you're wrong? Go post your argument on any random message board that exists today and see what the rest of the world thinks. That, my friend, is called reality.I had to sit through 2 of those championships and your team was absolutely sick. It got so bad that a huge chunk of the crowd (including me) left with 10 minutes to go with Ohio State because we knew that you guys were unbeatable. Congrats on that amazing team but let's not start thinking that you are a basketball powerhouse because of that one great team.

GoBadgers 11 years ago

Hey jhawkjdub. Nice post. You're definitely super knowledgeable about Big 12 sports. One tiny thing, though: Kansas didn't go 7-1 in the "North". They went 4-1 in the North. Missouri, meanwhile, went 5-0 in the North. You see, the "North" is very different than the "Big 12 Conference". But you probably knew that, because you're really, really smart. Now, repeat after me: "I...am...sofa...king. We...todd...did."Also, don't bring up that BCS stuff. Everybody on earth (except kU fans) thought Mizzou should've gotten the Orange Bowl.And I will never go away because you guys mean too much to me. I enjoy our back-and-forth banter too much. Does a crack addict give up crack just because it's ruining his life? Does a Kansan move away from Kansas just because it's a desolate and lonely wasteland? Does Mark Mangino ever leave any leftovers after dinner? The answers are no, no and no. Same goes for me. I will never stop posting.P.S. If you really want to razz people stick with GoGators because all of his posts are really lame and not funny.

stravinsky 11 years ago

I'd assumed Badgers was a Wisconsin fan. To which I was going to say "I'm sorry for your conference affiliation," but apparently I would have been off.I'm not a huge fan of needless spam flaming but I cant help myself...Mizzou Basketball.Hah...

11 years ago

rockchalkjayhawk81 - the above post by fabio applies to you, for starters. Go back to your trailer park in Lincoln and cease to exist.

kmatlage 11 years ago

Missouri hangs NCAA tournament APPEARANCE banners. Nuff said for basketball.As for football, they're pretty good, but the Orange Bowl Committee picked us because when we were down to Missouri, we fought back and possibly could have won given another couple minutes. Missouri, on the other hand, just got all pissy and gave up when they were down to OU. More than anything, that's probably why we were picked. They wanted a good game, so they didn't want the team they brought in to give up if they got down. Plain and simple. There were other reasons, but I think that might have been an important one.As for Florida, they have better football tradition and we have better basketball tradition. There's really no denying either of those.

GoBadgers 11 years ago

"I guess everybody on Earth thought you should have gone to the orange bowl except for the people that matter the most. The Orange Bowl committe and OU who beat you down TWICE!"Good point, but you lost me when you threw OU into the mix. Does everybody REALLY think kU would've done any better against OU? kU could've had its shot at OU, but the chickenhawks couldn't get past Mizzou.Maybe the Fiesta Bowl didn't want a kU/OU matchup because it would've been an ugly beat down?And 5DecadeHawk, I totally agree with you about the racist meth-heads. I might be a Mizzou fan, but I definitely didn't grow up there. If I had, I probably would've been found dead in a ditch years ago instead of internet bantering with you fine people.

lance1jhawk 11 years ago

Hey GoBangyosista oops sorry badgers... I guess everybody on Earth thought you should have gone to the orange bowl except for the people that matter the most. The Orange Bowl committe and OU who beat you down TWICE! If Chase Daniel could get his finger out of his nose and into a playbook, maybe someday you can dream too.

5DecadeHawk 11 years ago

"Everybody on earth (except kU fans) thought Mizzou should've gotten the Orange Bowl."Obviously the Orange Bowl Committee thought differently. Ohhhhhhh I see.... Mizery fans want to point out other's mistakes, but they don't care if they make mistakes themselves.When his post trashing the Orange Bowl Committee comes, don't forget that the Fiesta Bowl was seriously considering a KU vs OU matchup.MU just wasn't wanted because nobody wanted to deal with their irresponsible fans. The jails at the bowl sites wouldn't have been big enough to hold all the racist meth-heads.Blame yourself Badgerbrain. Fans like you are what the bowl committees wanted to avoid.

11 years ago

wats211 - glad to see you got the caps lock thing figured out ;) We haven't seen you in a while. Welcome back.

live4h2o 11 years ago

Better hope that last year wasn't a fluke - a la Notre Dame/Charlie Weis.I seem to recall ND jumping all over Coach Weis' nuts and giving him a huge extension after his close LOSS to USC only to find out that it was an anamoly.

Rick Arnoldy 11 years ago

"I think we can all be logical and agree that Mizzou is by far the superior football team. "Thanks! I needed a good laugh. p.s. Chase Daniel eats boogers...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEW8_KVhDFEGaters lover their own...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hi_uDNJ3Fs&feature=relatedBadgers have the worst fight song ever...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOxR7rTYuSI

midhawktx 11 years ago

Has anyone heard about Self's contract? Any details or good gossip?

GoBadgers 11 years ago

Who doesn't eat boogers? Don't deny it ohioburg. I'm sure you do. We all do.And badgers don't have a fight song. Badgers do one thing: get angry and rip things apart. If they did have a fight song, it would be nothing but shredding noises and maybe some screams if that thing they were shredding was a person.

Brad Watson 11 years ago

In the year 2100 Kansas University will be known for its great football tradition! It will also be known as Kansas University and not The University of Kansas.i

GoGators 11 years ago

Umm, I don't know where all the basketball superiority is coming from. Kansas has the exact same amount of championships as Florida the last fifty years. If we're going back the last fifteen years, Florida has more final four appearances and more championships.The only difference is that Florida has been successful in other sports too. Argue with GoBadgers all you want about Mizzou, but there's really no debate about who has a more successful sports program between KU and UF. Unless you attended a school like KU, in which case logic and rational thinking are probably mystical, heretical concepts that should never be spoken of.

Michael Auchard 11 years ago

Congrats, coach. Wanna buy me some basketball tickets with all that money?

Alan Braun 11 years ago

I really wish, as a doctor and KU alum/fan, that he'd take some of the extra money & go get some sort of weight reduction surgery done. He's a fantastic coach, the best we've had in a LONG time, and I'd hate to see him drop dead 20 years ahead of his time from a preventable coronary. RCJHKU

oregonjhawk 11 years ago

Wow that Shining moment YouTube video is freaking hilarious. I didn't realize how much missouri really sucks....Oh, and uhhh.....I don't eat boogers....

11 years ago

live4h2o - Did Weis win with his players in that outstanding year? No. Did Mangino win with his players last year? Yes.Don't bring that weak argument in here.

jayhawkinATL 11 years ago

Not to mention we beat the Gators on a neutral court last year!!!!!Where is your b-ball program now?!?! Unlike the Gators, KU reloads to make the run EVERY year!!!! Enjoy the NIT from here on out, tool!!!!

William James 11 years ago

Is there any particular reason that GoGators and GoBadgers made their first post a couple days apart and only make comments together?

Ben Kane 11 years ago

I just threw 2001 out there, forgot about 1996. Lets clarify, 2 basketball championships I think we can all remember those, and 2 football championships which to me seems quite small for a school pretending to be one of the most dominant programs. Lets not forget that Spurier refused to play Miami any more in the late '80's because he was tired of losing and wanted a creampuff opponent to beat up on. Later they tried to get out of their rivalry against FSU forcing the governer of Florida to pass legislation requiring the two top state schools to play eachother (this couldn't be done for Miami since it is a private school).

troutsee 11 years ago

Let's not forget, Mangino was a great hire by the often maligned Al Bohl, who was demonized by good ole Roy for daring to fire his pal, Terry Allen. We all agree that Coach Mangino has earned his raise.To heck with intruders on this web site. Pay them no heed. The Hawks football team will prove itself for real this year by winning the B-12 North. I think we have a good chance of winning the entire B-12. My one big, big concern is an unproven kicking game. However, we will be rock solid on both sides of the ball. It should be a great year. Bring it on.

live4h2o 11 years ago

txrockchalk - defensive much?It's not a weak argument - in fact its not an argument at all. It is simply a hope that the team will continue to win and an observation that other schools have rewarded coaches prematurely for what was perceived to be good coaching successes.

LAJayhawk 11 years ago

Did you know that the golf courses in Columbia only have 14 holes?They never play the final four.

Brad Watson 11 years ago

AWESOME!!!! I'm happy for the man! He has really shut me up...and most of you all...I'm Manginos' biggest fan now.....I really am excited about the upcoming season....Texas..at home!!!!!!...see you all there!!!!!

11 years ago

live4h2o - had you framed your original remarks in the same manner as your last post, I would not have said anything. I am just tired of people slamming our coach and program.My bad.

frompekka2sasha 11 years ago

Wow. KU football is big-time. We have fans from all over the place coming here to post their remarks. Vhat uh coontry!

William James 11 years ago

Does anyone remember, just one year ago, all the geniuses criticizing and attacking Perkins for giving Mangino the big contract he gave him in September 2006. It makes me sick, if they would of had their way we all know where KU football would be right now. Gator fans wouldnt even realize that KU had a football program. On this very site you had people attacking Manginos physical appearance because he wasnt making progress fast enough to suit them. Im not going to say any names, but you CLOWNS all know who you are, and not a single one of you EVER came back to apologize after Mangino made you look so foolish. I cant respect your football IQ, because you proved you have none, but I could have respected you as an adult if you would of apologized.

GoBadgers 11 years ago

Don't get me wrong. I hate the Gators as well, but where exactly are you getting your information chuckberry32? The Gators were national champions in football in 1996. Before 2006, that was Florida's only national championship in any of the big three sports you mention. Where's the 2001 coming from?

Kevin Kelly 11 years ago

What no GoOrangemen or GoDeamonDeacons available? Where is GoYellowJackets when you need them?The whole GO nation is out to get us!!!

Ben Kane 11 years ago

god i hate the gators and i live in gator country. All basketball season all i heard was that ku would choke and man the gators were good the last two years. Where are ya now guys? before 2001 never won a basketball, baseball, or football championships. I'd say learn some class you freakin newbies but your only one step up from misery so it's not too likely.

woodhawk 11 years ago

Some good podcasts from Matt Perrault on BigSports 590 up in Omaha. Interesting objectivity from someone not from here (he's from Boston originally, and not a Cornshucker fan).http://podcast.bigsports590.com/ThisWeek/tabid/2412/Default.aspxI'm thinking, too, that maybe Lew was a little 'money drunk'. From 1.5 to 2.3M/year is an enormous jump for only 1 great season. Maybe Big Lew was scared he'd get hired away.

Chris Weaver 11 years ago

dollar signs. that's right. dollar signs.good job coach mangino. i haven't been a fan of yours since your arrival, but for the first time in many years i am not embarrassed by our football program. your hard work, your disciplined coaching, and your enthusiasm has erased a lot of bad feelings from this jayhawk. i'm all for big lew spending lots of money to keep winners. i can't imagine the message boards if head coach mark mangino split for more money at k-state or something. lew's showing other coaches down the line that hawks reward winners.by the way - missouri is so lame.

sevenyearhawk 11 years ago

I get it, I GET IT!You're not a Gator ...you're a Purp, a Feline, a Mildcat.You couldn't even find G-town with a map or a Garmin.If you really ARE from Florida or Gainesville, please tell us ... What did Gale Lembard Drive used to be called?