Thursday, July 10, 2008

Chalmers signs deal with Heat

Miami rewards KU product with 3-year contract

Mario Chalmers

Mario Chalmers

Apparently the Miami Heat liked what they've seen out of Mario Chalmers so far.

The Heat signed Chalmers - one of the heroes of Kansas University's 2008 national-championship team - to a three-year contract worth around $2.3 million, according to published reports.

Chalmers was a second-round pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves in last month's NBA Draft.

The Heat traded the Timberwolves two future second-round picks and $2 million for Chalmers.

Chalmers was eligible to receive as little as the rookie minimum of $442,114 for one season.

But the Heat locked him up instead.

The deal includes two guaranteed seasons, with the first starting around $700,000 and the third year at the Heat's option, the Orlando Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday.

"It's an extremely generous deal," agent Sam Goldfeder told the newspaper.

The Sun-Sentinel reported that Chalmers impressed the Heat with his play at last week's summer camp and at this week's Orlando Pro Summer League.

Darnell Jackson, a second-round pick from the Jayhawks who will play for Cleveland's summer league team, likely will sign a two-year contract with the Cavs worth $1,178,534, the Lorain (Ohio) News-Herald reports.

Jackson likely will earn the NBA minimum of $442,114 in 2008-09 and $736,420 in 2009-10. In the past, the Cavs have guaranteed both years of the contract.

In all, five KU players were drafted.

Comments

BCRavenJHawkfan 6 years, 5 months ago

If any of you have followed the news out of the NBA summer camps this news on Chalmers should not be any big surprise. In a game between Miami and Chicago Chalmers schooled Rose to no end.I am with prairie-dog on this, Miami got a bargin deal. Truth be know they may have had their eye on Chalmers as his stock fell and knew they could cash in at rock bottom.

kellermi25 6 years, 5 months ago

this is awesome!!! can't say much more than that

quigley 6 years, 5 months ago

"Chalmers was eligible to receive as little as the rookie minimum of $442,114 for one season"Wish my company had this as the minimum...Good luck in the NBA hawks!!!

100 6 years, 5 months ago

Also you can email your KU friends after you vote for the best championship shot ever (follow their link). Ten possible shots. Right now, Laettner is in first, beating Mario by just a few votes, so this can change with 150,000 KU people working together:http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=151

KU 6 years, 5 months ago

Bedore et al, you better get on the Big 12 revenue split story. In 2006-2007, KU was the 4th highest in the conference revenue split, behind Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska.Anybody want to bet that KU will be #1 for 2007-2008?? I can't see any school hauling in more than KU after a national championship and an Orange Bowl victory.

FlaHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Great job Mario and Darrell. Guaranteed money what you need and you both cash in appropriately!GO HAWKS!

kutravis 6 years, 5 months ago

D-Jack with a guranteed contract! If anyone could use that money is definitely Jackson and his family. This definitely puts an exclamation on a fantastic year for Kansas Basketball.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

trich424,Read Herb Cohen. Everything is negotiable.

6 years, 5 months ago

Lebowski - great points as usual. Also, Mario will have a little tougher time handling the ball just because the defense in the League is so much more intense."Minus 20K - a few nights out in South Beach"I can attest to this, going to the Orange Bowl back in January. Funny stuff, smitty33.

ChicagoJHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

kushaw - That's what I thought, that's awesome! I'm sure we'll have 6+ in the near future. Rock Chalk!

JayViking 6 years, 5 months ago

I just might be watching some NBA games next year...congrats.

KGphoto 6 years, 5 months ago

We have yet to see where Chalmers' game will end up. I think he has a lot of room for improvement still, and will probably find his NBA game by the end of that contract. I can't wait.

Rick Arnoldy 6 years, 5 months ago

I think they signed him after just two exhibition games because they knew the price was just going to keep going up.

Nutflush21 6 years, 5 months ago

"Wow, five KU basketball grads with serious contracts."Lets not get carried away, Arthur, Rush and Chalmers didnt graduate. But they are going to make more money than any of us.

afilmer 6 years, 5 months ago

hey - a little help -my buddy said that sasha was playing in cleveland summer games - and that it sounded like he was going to sign with the cavs. i know he's got major money and a contract in russia, so does anybody know if there is any truth to that rumor?

craigers 6 years, 5 months ago

Congrats Mario. I'm sure you will do well. Don't spend it all in one place!!!

KUFan90 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm happy for my man Mario C, cuttin it up on the turntable, but I'm even happier for D Jack. Talk about hard work paying off...what an incredible story.

hawkitup 6 years, 5 months ago

That's great news for the both of these guys. Has anybody heard anything about Simien getting a contract offer? I would really like to see that guy sign on with somebody.

K_Easthouse 6 years, 5 months ago

The Miami media has apparently started to respect Chalmers' abilities a little more.http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/599777.htmlStill, seven turnovers isn't a good sign. Glad he was able to salvage the night, but he's got to clean that up before facing the real tests during the regular season.

ChicagoJHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

That's awesome, congrats Mario & Darnell!! You guys definitely deserve it.KU basketball has always been great but I think we've on another level now with Self. I can't remember when last we've had 5 players drafted in the NBA! With all the recruits that Self is landing, along with his coaching, I'm sure there will be many more good things to come in the future!

100 6 years, 5 months ago

In case you missed it: post a vote for mario's shot on ESPN's basketball page. Right now he's barely getting beat by Duke (Laetnner)

smitty33 6 years, 5 months ago

Is it just me or I thought DBlock was in Miami as well???? When did he get to Cleveland?? Please educate me.

Jacobpaul81 6 years, 5 months ago

17 of 17 from the stripe tells me there was a lot of fouling going on. Probally attributed to several of those turnovers.

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm so happy for Darnell and Mario. Way to go guys!

100 6 years, 5 months ago

Awesome job, Mario. The risk payed off. We'll miss you at the Fieldhouse, and best of luck. KU fans, speaking of Mario, check out the front page of ESPN, rock the vote and vote right here:http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/rank?versionId=1&listId=151

Carter Patterson 6 years, 5 months ago

I think that this is a win-win for the Heat and Mario. Tear it up at the NBA Mario!

6 years, 5 months ago

clarification: more intense in the sense the guards in the League are the best of the best on-ball defenders.

smitty33 6 years, 5 months ago

Mario's Deal = $2.3 MillionMinus 1 Million - Instant TaxesMinus 700K - Condo in MiamiMinus 400K - Place for ParentsMinus 100K - new wheels in MiamiMinus 20K - a few nights out in South BeachMinus 75K - loan to buddy Sherron CollinsMinus 5K - trips back to Lawrence to help the new guysBe careful Mario! 2.3 can go fast!!

tis4tim 6 years, 5 months ago

That kind of money for a 2nd rounder after just a couple summer league games seems to indicate Mario will be a starter sooner than later. Marcus Banks has been pegged as the guy whose job it is to lose, but provided Mario keeps producing, that is a foregone conclusion at this point. Congrats to both D. Jack and Mario!

Jacobpaul81 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey KU,Yea, I've read that. I suspect that leads to some pretty sloppy play. I'd mark those turnovers up as that. Mario never exactly had the best assist to turnover ratio, but I think 6 ast to 7 turnovers is pretty high. I'll chalk it up to the fouls. Smitty,Dblock got traded the day after the draft. Cleveland wanted him "real bad"! I'm not sure why, but they were trying to get him from miami the moment he was picked. Not sure what the trade was, but I think it involved a future second round pick.

prairie_dog 6 years, 5 months ago

I only follow the NBA in passing and was amazed at how bush league their draft was. Anybody who could not figure out that Mario was this kind of player, who should have gone higher in the draft, does not deserve much respect. Good for Miami; they got a steal.

Rick Arnoldy 6 years, 5 months ago

Good grief. Where is Rolando Blackman's shot against Oregon State on that ballot? That one even made the cover of SI.

KU 6 years, 5 months ago

Jacobpaul81.....The summer league has some weird rules, such as no foul-outs. So there's no incentive to play great defense. They just foul if their man gets past them.

trich424 6 years, 5 months ago

No, he already signed with Russia. No NBA for atleast 2 years.

oldboy 6 years, 5 months ago

p>Cavs.com Beat Writer, Joe Gabriele barely mentions Darnell in his July 9 articles but does say that GM Ferry will get a chance to see Darnell and first round draft choice working in the low post together starting Monday in their summer league games. Gabriele only mentions Simien and where he has played which is no more than what he says about Billy Thomas.Maybe the biggest competition for Darnell for that spot will be Robert (Tractor) Traylor. Remember him? He has been out of the League for three years and is trying to come back.Garbriele is talking about next week's games and Jackson has already made the team, it seems. That is great. He just has too much to offer pros not to have made it big in spite of being drafted so low. I think that LeBron is going to love D Block and what he can do for LeBron's game.

kltbadboyz 6 years, 5 months ago

Damn thats like winning the lottery! You can watch the heat vs oklahoma city on nba.com tonight, they have a live web cast. Mario vs Russell Westbrook should be a good game.

killabees 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, five KU basketball grads with serious contracts. They deserve it all.

6 years, 5 months ago

"Good for Miami; they got a steal."prairie_dog - I was just about to post the same thought when I read yours. This is also incredible news for Mario. He is very deserving. I look forward to seeing him play with Beasley and Wade next season.

Chris Shaw 6 years, 5 months ago

Chicagohawk: You can't remember the last time KU had 5 players drafted in the NBA because it hasn't happened before. The record is held by UConn, Florida, and now KU.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

KGphoto,You made a lot of sense in your last post. Thanks for dropping the logical disconnect about buying whores. It didn't work.There's always two sides to a story and on a second try you make a case a prudent man can follow...not necessarily agree with but follow.Re Cribs: you reveal more about your own viewing habits than mine. I've never seen or heard of it. Is it for DIYers making baby beds? Ha! :-)I look forward to more of your pithy, validly reasoned posts.

KGphoto 6 years, 5 months ago

Smitty33?What do you make a year? Do you buy Miami whores with your money? You pegged Mario with a 100k ride and a bunch of materialistic crap.That's you. Not Mario. So...Go back to your pimp dreams. Mario has never had anything to do with that. Go away Smitty.-K

KGphoto 6 years, 5 months ago

jaybate,I think Mario understands a little more about money than you give him credit for. The guy is solid. His dad is a coach on the team. They don't need a new 400k house. If Ronnie Chalmers found out that Mario was buying ridiculous wheels and makin it rain in Miami hotspots, he'd be down there pulling him out of those clubs by the ear.Let's make a bet. At the end of the year, we'll see what kind of lifestyle Mario has. We'll see if he's spent his entire 3 year contract in a week. Or if he buys a conservative place, and wheels, and focuses on winning games. That's my bet.Besides, he's going to get all sorts of money thrown at him for commercials, shoes, restaurants, car dealers. Do you think he's not going to capitalize on that shot? He's probably going to make more from promos than his contract.You and smitty should quit watching "Cribs". And I've always preferred Fear and Loathing for my disorders.

actorman 6 years, 5 months ago

Let me attempt to respond to the above quote a la KG:Smitty, you're nuts. There's no way that Mario could loan 75K to Sherron. If he did that, that would be a clear NCAA violation and KU could get in a whole heap of trouble.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

KGphoto,Give Smitty33 a break!A. He figures Mario's overhead conservatively.B. He warns Mario to look after his doe.C. You ask him if he buys Miami whores.Do you see the logical disconnect?Remember: too much Camp Lazslo makes KGphoto a disordered boy.

100 6 years, 5 months ago

J-Hawks have been dominating the front page of ESPN basketball last couple days. Yesterday the Mario shot (with Bill Self interview) as the headline(s). Today, same video to go along side picture of... Michael Lee (shot that would've won it in 2003). By the way, for those math majors/ or non math majors going back to the root of the equation: 5 Jayhawks were drafted (1st and 2nd rounds). Russel Robinson signed a summer contract (#6). Padgett, who wore a Jayhawk uniform for a year, signed a summer contract (#7). And Giddens, a Jayhawk who wore the jersey for 2 years at KU, also would've been part of this national championship had he not decided to leave after the bad learning experience to put it nicely, was drafted in the first round (#8). Had he stayed after getting cut up, he would have red-shirted and this would have been his senior season. In short, it's pretty amazing to think of all the temporary and full time Jayhawks who just signed with the NBA who just left college: Eight. That's right: Eight (8). Had Julian stayed an extra year, we would be talking about NINE (9).

actorman 6 years, 5 months ago

"Minus 75K - loan to buddy Sherron Collins"That's funny!KG, I don't think anyone, including smitty, seriously believes that Mario is going to squander his money. When I look at your reactions, one phrase comes to mind: "taking things WAY too seriously."

Kyle Crenshaw 6 years, 5 months ago

everyone make sure to go to espy.tv to vote for ku as the "best team" and "best game!" voting closes the 12th so everyone get on it!

KGphoto 6 years, 5 months ago

Cribs isn't my viewing habit, I avoid it like the plague, which it is. But I'm aware of it. It's a show about celebrity consumerism and household lifestyles. It's a putrid MTV joint, usually centered in Miami or L.A.. (hence, the reference)Not sure about DIYers. But you can't comment on my viewing habits if you're watching Cartoon Network. Heh. ;)

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 5 months ago

you guys are hilarious, sort of... :D I am so happy for each of these Hawks, and especially Darnell Jackson. WOW!

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

I knew it! You are "aware" of Camp Lazlo and CN, too. My kid watches Lazlo and CN.What's your excuse?Rock (chalk) on!