Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hoops recruit Henry adds Texas, UCLA

Ballyhooed men's basketball recruit Xavier Henry reportedly has expanded his list of possible college destinations.

According to CBSSportsline.com, Henry had narrowed his finalists to Kansas University and Memphis and was to announce his decision at last weekend's LeBron James Skills Academy.

"I was going to make an announcement this week about where I'm going to college, but then I found out I'm still not sure," Henry told CBSSportsline. "I talked it over with my mom and dad, and now I'm not really sure where I want to go."

Henry, a 6-foot-6 guard, now plans to visit Texas and UCLA, too, before deciding between his now-four finalists.

Comments

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't think he is so concerned about how great a recruiter Bill Self is. We're only going to have 2 or 3 scholy's available most likely, so the team he sees this year is basically the team he'll be playing for with possibly a couple added top recruits (especially for a one and done type player). Sure what kind of guys you get depends on how good your coach recruits, but the players they are recruiting are more concerned about if the team can win a championship, what kind of TV exposure they can get. How many players the team puts in the NBA. And how big a role they will play on the team as a freshman and possibly a sophomore.Xavier, KU is clearly the best choice. You are supposed to be a Jayhawk.

yates33333 6 years, 5 months ago

What do you think UT and UCLA are offering>

K_Easthouse 6 years, 5 months ago

Think of it more as exploring all of the options. When you go car shopping and are in the market for something high-end, you don't look at one or two options - you look at 12 and test all of them out before getting the right feel.I'm sure Mom and Dad are pushing the KU angle, but I'd like to think responsible parents also want their child to do what's best for them. I would much rather have a recruit excited for the opportunity to play at Kansas than a recruit that is lukewarm because their parents pushed them that way.That being said, I suspect once he tests the waters elsewhere, he'll see how KU stacks up with the competition and how much better a situation it would be for here.

Jason Sinclair 6 years, 5 months ago

"...but then I found out I'm still not sure," He "found out" how he feels? What, did somebody tell him and surprise him?"Hey, X, you still aren't sure man.""Oh, thanks, for letting me know".

Dyrk Dugan 6 years, 5 months ago

it would be a blow no doubt, if he didn't come. he's a legacy alum, he's in our regional backyard, and he's a top 3 player in the country. I don't care what's happened with other recruits...they're all unique. I still think we're in the lead, and Self will land him. If we don't, then there's definitely a story that won't be told. I can't believe he thinks another program will give him a better venue to be at, than Kansas.

hawkitup 6 years, 5 months ago

Lebowski...thanks for the defense. I never did say they were my "friends" and I appreciate you pointing that out to people who cannot correctly read posts.

DSommersby 6 years, 5 months ago

Xavier's father, Carl Henry, was/is one of my all time favorite Jayhawks. I remember being intrigued by his jersey #13. The fans called Carl Henry and Kelly Knight, "The Heart and Soul" of those Jayhawk teams. There was a banner that hung in Allen Field House bearing that mantra. Carl Henry was a flat out player. He scored, rebounded, defended, and just could do it all. I would love to see his son Xavier wearing the Crimson and Blue. It would be very cool! Xavier's Mom is a Jayhawk too! Come on Xavier...come add to the great legends and tradition!

JayhawkPurist 6 years, 5 months ago

hawkitup,Tell your Memphis friends to watch this clip of Douglas-Roberts after the title game talking about how KU won the game fairly, and how he he thought the officiating was good the whole game (starting at the 1:53 mark):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgPdgu...

Jaminrawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and Xavier, look at how everything turned out for the guys that commited to Texas and UCLA over the past four years. Don't see any championship rings on those fingers. Recruits can't even think those teams get them into the NBA faster anymore either. FIVE players taken in the draft this year. Lawrence is Title Town. Come home.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

actorman,Two points:1) When the agent takes his cut, and his attorney takes his cut, and the family takes its cut, and Uncle takes his cut, and Mister $5M buys the mortgage with the interest right off that his accountant and financial advisor (who take their cuts) say is optimal for his investment strategy given his tax bracket, and he buys his Benz, and he takes his family and friends on vacation, and he meets a woman and supports her, he's going to be working for a living just like you, only he's going to be hung with a higher standard of living.2) Have you ever watched Chris Rock's routine on the difference between money and wealth? "Not talkin' 'bout munny. Ah'm talkin' 'bout WEALTH!"A Number 1 with a shoe contract can walk away from the game.The rest of them are high paid labor with huge overhead until they pay off the hangers on and get a big bonus on the second contract...if they pan out.Not talkin' 'bout munny.Talkin' 'bout WEALTH!

oldalum 6 years, 5 months ago

My biggest worry about the KU parents thing is that X is a teenager. Show me a teenager, and I'll show you someone who is determined to zig when he is expected to zag. Just the fact that "everyone" expects him to follow in his parents footsteps to KU might be enough to send him somewhere else, even if he has always liked KU. I'd really like to get him. One and done isn't set in stone as we have seen the last couple years.

FortWorthJayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Maybe it's because Kansas ISN'T a place for one and doners...If X doesn't want to come, so be it. There are plenty of other great recruits that will be playing for KU and enjoying the next NC that X misses out on. It'll be his loss, not ours.

100 6 years, 5 months ago

Big deal. If u were 18 u mite be tempted by another coach at a camp to come see their town (4 free). This is a big deal for him. Let him weigh his options. In the end we all know where he would fit the best. Its up 4 him to figure that out when he visits Allen fieldhouse at late nite.

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

This is reminiscent of Silly Willie (a.k.a. Willie Warren).

BigTamale 6 years, 5 months ago

jayhawkinatl...Reading this story reminded me of the Willie Warren saga last year.Kansas was always at the top of his list, he adds more favorites and ultimately goes elsewhere.I wish we can land the guy but won't be holding me breath.

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 5 months ago

this is NOT a willie warren saga. Nowhere even close!

actorman 6 years, 5 months ago

"Talk about a drama king - cut him loose."Brilliant observation, kcphantom. Clearly, KU should have cut Darrell Arthur loose when he took a long time to decide."We're talking about the difference between instant financial independence as a top 1 or 2 pick and having to play his way into financial independence at anything less."You're right. Being the number 16 pick and making "only" somewhere around $5 million is not nearly enough to be financially independent.

FortWorthJayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll admit, I did like Oden for the one year he was in the NCAA. That being said, I typically don't care for the one year players. That's probably because I hate the one year rule and think it cheapens college athletics. I would much rather pursue players that are at least going to be around for a couple of years and make progress towards a degree. These kids are supposed to be student-athletes. But of course, that's the state that college athletics are in. We can't just stick our heads in the sand and hope things change. So, I guess I'm flip-flopping... I just hope the one-year players that come to KU are the good kids. Not the head-cases looking to use and abuse a school.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

KU has no problem with A. Self has shown with Rush early and Simien that he is not afraid to let a talented guy carry the load.KU has no problem with B. KU's best guys play big minutes the last half or third of each season.KU has no more problem with C than any other top program. Its a year to year thing what the make up of a team will be and cannot be determined until near the NBA draft. Hence, Xaviers increasingly are tempted to wait and see what team compositions actually will be.KU always scores low with D. They are consistently underreported in the good years (last year) and often completely ignored most of the year when they are merely good.KU usually scores pretty well with E, but with Arthur's grade thing Collins assault case pending, well, KU just gets scored a little lower than say UCLA, or UNC, or Texas, at present. Add in the stains of Giddens knife fight and Giles and Rush's paternity issues, KU probably gets scored mayber near Memphis in this regard, but definitely lower than UNC, UCLA to name two.KU probably scores pretty high with E, but again, while Coach Self is a terrific coach, he has not yet shown the willingness to get down on his hands and knees and grovel to the super stars the way Calipari and Howland have. Calipari and Howland have shown they will shaft their existing players (bench starters) to get one and done stars. Until Self really abuses some of his players and grovels all season long to a one and done player the way Howland and Calipari do, Howland and Calipari will always have the inside track on these guys. I hope Coach Self never becomes that kind of coach.Xavier will not play at KU unless major violations surface at UCLA and Memphis. Rush was better than most of the guys taken ahead of him. Had he been the franchise player for Memphis or UCLA this year, he would have been a top 5 pick for sure. This is the stark reality Self faces in recruiting him. To land him, he will need Memphis and UCLA to be mired in scandal even to get the chance to then grovel to him for one year.Land Stephenson and one of the three bigs (Favor et al), coach, forget Xavier. Little will be able to guard Xavier. We'll beat Xman's team just like we beat Durant and Beasley's teams. Better teams win. Better grovellers land the Xaviers and Roses and take second.

Joe Ross 6 years, 5 months ago

I wonder about Xavier.I really thought he was high on Kansas. I even remember thinking we'd get him. Im really not sure at all anymore, and in fact Im doubtful. If you have your schools narrowed to 2 and then you EXPAND to four, then there MUST be a reason for that. He must like something better in other schools that he doesnt see in Kansas (I know...it seems almost sacrilege to say)! I cant see how it's a contest.1. We blasted UNC and beat Memphis, two of his other schools in the running (before he cut down to 2).2. We place a lot of players in the NBA and so its not whether he can be recruited to play pro ball.3. We are better coached than Texas. We get as much national exposure as any other team.4. Oh, and by the way your parents played here and the fans would only adore you for however long you stayed and lay palm fronds on the ground wherever you walked.There has to be something more to Xaviers decision if he's expanding the list of schools because he already knows this about Kansas. It's concerning.Im scratching my chin as I sit and wonder here. Is it that he feels he wont be featured like Durant was at Texas, Rose at Memphis, Love at UCLA, or Beasley at Kansas State? Does he see Darrell Arthurs role of being a team player as hurtful to his stock? I dont know but the more I consider it I think he looks at how the big name players fit in the respective programs and is trying to extrapolate from this year's draft how they will go. Rose, Beasley, and Love all went early. Is he looking at that?I just dont know...

chicagoeddie 6 years, 5 months ago

remember it doesnt matter if we have number 1 players or not. coach self will put together whoever he has and create another championship team.it is up to players to see if they want to be apart of that or just do a year and go pro. coach is recruiting like a mad man, so keep up the good work!rock chalk!

hawkitup 6 years, 5 months ago

I can't see the guy choosing UCLA. Their offense doesn't seem like his style. That being said, I can't help but think he's not coming to KU either. Has he really ever expressed strong interest other than narrowing it down to us and Memphis? Perhaps he's thinking more of his family and that's why KU was so high on his list. I'm just saying, but then again perhaps I don't even know what I am talking about because I don't really know the guy personally. I do live in Memphis and I would absolutely HATE it if he came here. The fans here are ridiculous. I still hear people telling me how the refs gave us the National Championship.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I think he is still coming here. He is definitely a "one and done" guy though. That may be perfect though because this team probably will need a full year to start clicking. Man, imagine if KU lands Henry and someone like Lance Stephenson or Renardo Sidney. This team would probably be the most talented KU team ever. If someone like Collins or Aldrich goes pro, they could probably add both or any of the other top recruits looking at KU. I think 2009-2011 KU is gonna be very, very dangerous.

6 years, 5 months ago

Ahhh, yes - - Willie Warning. I would love for us to shut him down when we play OU this coming season. I haven't heard him say he is going to Carmelo-ize (ala Malik Hairston) the Sooners, but you know he's thinking it! Seriously though, they are going to have a solid team this year.

NH_JHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

According to this May 2007 LJW article from Gary Bedore, seems like Xavier has been considering Texas all along."He's Xavier Henry, Athletes First's 6-foot-6 sophomore sensation out of Putnam City High who is considering KU, North Carolina, Memphis, Texas and Ohio State."http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/may...

JayCeph 6 years, 5 months ago

hawkitup...Have your Memphis 'friends' told you how the refs missed the free throws on Memphis' end of the court (on fouls called against KU) or how the refs made Mario's 3 go into the bucket with 2.1 seconds left in regulation? Better yet, have they told you how the refs are responsible for only KU showing up in OT?Those refs are so talented and powerful, no? No.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

First, Xavier is doing exactly what he should do. He is keeping his name in he media and setting the table to pick the team that after this coming season is:a) most certain to show case his creating shots, scoring and will teach him defense;b) most certain to give him 30 minutes a game;c) has the best array of experienced talent that by adding him to the mix has the chance to go deepest in the tourney and so add the most buzz to his name;d) offers the most consistently biased media hype in his favor;e) is NOT under a cloud of investigations that can indirectly tarnish PR showcase; andf) has the coach that he trusts the most to optimize a through e in his favor;The six criteria above are what get a guy into the top five draft slots.Tradition doesn't matter. Where his parents went does not matter. We're talking about the difference between instant financial independence as a top 1 or 2 pick and having to play his way into financial independence at anything less. The product endorsement contracts that a 1 or 2 pick either get, or are in a position to get VERY shortly are the tail wagging the dog IMHO. If Xman is as terrific as everyone says, he has to create a matrix. The six criteria above are column headings. Team names are the rows. He ranks the teams for each category from 1 to 10. He goes to the place with the highest score. Nothing personal. No hunches. Strictly business. End of discussion. Looking at this matrix, you can quickly see why KU has trouble landing guys like Derrick Rose, or Xavier Henry.

ameraidi 6 years, 5 months ago

His loss if he doesn't come to the greatest program in the world.

Ed Fox 6 years, 5 months ago

The only 1 and Done to lead his team to a title, that I'm aware of, was Carmello and that was only because of fluky bad KU FT shooting. If KU doesn't ever get the reputation as a place for thise hot shot 1 and Done's, I won't cry a bit.

Chicago_JHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Adding two schools late would seem to indicate that he doesn't want to attend KU or Memphis. I'd prefer him at UCLA over UT, though. We still have several other recruits on the radar, so not to worry...

Billy Derringer 6 years, 5 months ago

great points but--i think the correct word to use for coach self is hes a great tammer, he likes taming the wild and thats what he did with this group-the previous core group-miles-langford-J.R. ect, just wouldnt let coach tamm them due to previous success and loyality to the previous coching staff-you see when he got HIS kids in here, they didnt know any better than to take his teachings to heart,when u can tamm a lion theres nothing better than that.

bmkjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Not to be a pessimist, but I'll be surprised if KU gets Henry. Just a feeling I'm getting. But I'd really hate to lose him to any of those other three schools, although I'm not sure which one I'd least want him to go to if it isn't KU.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 5 months ago

Texas has NEVER been mentioned in his list. This is highly suspect reporting and all the legit recruiting specialists would agree.

kcphantom 6 years, 5 months ago

Talk about a drama king - cut him loose.

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 5 months ago

he will NOT pass up an opportunity to play for the the same school that........................... 1. Just won the national championship! 2. Alma matter of both parents! 3. Childhood favorite! 4. Is coached by the best recruiter in college basketball! He is just playing the game. No problem with free trips to Los Angeles or Austin. I wouldn't be suprised if he didnt take a 5th visit as well. And whoever says its no big deal if he goes elsewhere, you are completely insane! It would be a MAJOR blow to Kansas Basketball if he chose to attend any school but here!

actorman 6 years, 5 months ago

I understand your point, jaybate, but it reminds me of the classic line said during the NBA lockout (I forget by whom): "Sure we make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money." Pull out the violin, the poor guy can't make it on "only" $5 million.Although you may be right, it is also possible that there are at least SOME players who have the maturity to know how to handle $5 million without blowing it on in a few years.