Saturday, January 26, 2008

Kansas raises football season-ticket prices slightly; points special announced

The price of watching Kansas University's football team just went up.

KU released football-ticket prices for the 2008 season and an online "priority points special" on Friday.

Public season tickets for the seven-game 2008 season will cost $300. Faculty-staff season tickets and recent-graduate packages (2006-08 graduation dates) will cost $240. Family-Zone season packages - two adult and two youth general-admission tickets to the north bowl - will cost $400.

Last year, public season tickets were $375, faculty-staff tickets were $220 and recent-graduate packages were $200. Family-Zone packages cost $350.

Single-game ticket prices also had a modest increase.

Single-game tickets for all nonconference games will cost $40, up from $35 last season. This year, tickets to the Colorado and Texas Tech games will cost $45 each. Texas tickets will run $60, and Kansas State tickets will cost $85.

Last season, Baylor and Iowa State were $45 seats, while Nebraska - the lone premium game - cost $75.

Single-game tickets will go on sale to the general public August 1.

Now, about that online points special :

Current members of the Williams Educational Fund who buy football season tickets online between Friday and Feb. 8 will receive five permanent points to their Williams Fund account for every season ticket purchased. There is no limit to points earned. Normally, the limit is 20.

Each Family Plan also will be worth five permanent points.

Fans who purchase their season tickets with e-check will not be charged a handling fee.

Starting Feb. 9, fans will receive five points per season ticket up to four tickets and one point for every season ticket thereafter.

Tickets may be purchased online at www.kuathletics.com.

KU will open the season Aug. 30 against Florida International and play host to Louisiana Tech (Sept. 6), Sam Houston State (Sept. 2), Colorado (Oct. 11), Texas Tech (Oct. 25), Kansas State (Nov. 1) and Texas (Nov. 15).

The Jayhawks will travel to South Florida (Sep. 13), Iowa State (Oct. 4), Oklahoma (Oct. 18), and Nebraska (Nov. 8). Kansas will play Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium on November 29.

The Border War against Missouri will again be played in Arrowhead Stadium. That game is not part of the 2008 season ticket package. However, KU season-ticket holders and Williams Fund members will receive first priority in purchasing KU's allotment of tickets in Arrowhead Stadium. KU season-ticket holders will receive information in mid-April regarding the purchase of Border Showdown tickets.

Comments

KUglow 9 years, 4 months ago

Um, hello, the MU game is a ROAD game this year. Why would it be part of the season ticket package?

HawkDigestCom 9 years, 4 months ago

"The Border War against Missouri will again be played in Arrowhead Stadium. That game is not part of the 2008 season ticket package."

That pretty much guarantees 20k or less KU fans. Despite the extra revenue, the Arrowhead deal now has to be considered Lew's greatest mistake.

mojayhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

Don't worry HawkDigestCom. Last season, plenty of tickets were available through the Chiefs website. That was where most mizzou fans bought theirs.

Lew thinks big, and I like that about him. He may have to think even bigger if the rumors about Pickens trying to lure Coach Self to Ok State are true! Let's not wait until too late to voice to Coach Self our appreciation for what he does! Regardless of whether we win it all or not!

HawkDigestCom 9 years, 4 months ago

I do agree that the Arrowhead experiment was something that we needed to try. I felt like the execution was brutal, especially with KU stepping up as the initial party to give up a home game. No attempt at dividing the fans in the stadium or parking lots. How the heck do the Missouri fans get the player tunnel? I mean that's pretty basic. Again, the epic atmosphere and national attention are big time positives for both programs, but I have not met a KU fan that enjoyed the experience or would be interested in going back. Last year we had 30k blue out of the gate because of the season ticket package. Now that KU fans have some game experience at the 'Head mingling with the "fine supporters" of Mizzou, I don't see a lot of people buying in as an add-on. Of course, maybe this will weed out the weaklings and we won't have the Hoops fans selling out for profit.

HawkDigestCom 9 years, 4 months ago

To be successful in KC, I think the series would need to be viewed as a neutral site each year with 50/50 fans.

We only have seven home games ... we had eight games in our season ticket package last year. Clearly we can handle the cost.

The KU football fan base isn't as vast as some other neutral site examples ... say Texas or OU. We need to take every advantage to get some fans in the seats for a neutral site game in Missouri.

I'll consider it as Lew doing the right thing though -- essentially not forcing season ticket holders to go to Arrowhead. I'm just concerned because no matter what, the team has to show up at that game and I want them to have some support. They deserve it.

Ryan Gerstner 9 years, 4 months ago

I had a great time at Arrowhead last year despite the outcome. I was miffed that the Chiefs botched everything around it, but I'm hopeful they'll do a better job this year. I'll definitely be at Arrowhead supporing the Hawks!

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 4 months ago

Ah, another price for success. ..increased ticket prices. I'm willing to pay for it though if it ultimately means more wins and a consistently successful program. Go Fightin' Manginos!!!!

JBurtin 9 years, 4 months ago

Luckily, with one less home game, the tickets still aren't quite as expensive.

Also, the conference home slate is awesome! Colorado Texas Tech K-State Texas

Next year should have Memorial rockin' like never before.

Drew Alan 9 years, 4 months ago

I think there is a schedule mis-print.... no possible way we are playing 3 home games in 8 days... not many people can complain about this schedule, we are playing 6 teams that went to bowls last year and two that were one win away from going bowling (but didn't go because we beat them!) I also like the way the schedule shakes out. Missouri on a Neutral site might actually help us next year, I like Texas and Tech at home. Oklahoma on the road worries me, and depending on how quickly Pelini can get nebraska going they might actually be pretty good by early november.

William James 9 years, 4 months ago

Hawkdigest-Mizzou didnt sell the Arrowhead game with thier season ticket package last year and had a lot more than 20k? Why do you think we would only get 20k there. I understand we lost last year, and it was cold but I dont think Kansas fans are that fickle. Maybe I could be wrong.
I didnt like the outcome on the scoreboard and there are certainly some things that need to be ironed out, but I thought it was awesome. I felt like I was at the national championship.

thiknthinhawk 9 years, 4 months ago

The ins and outs of why the game should be played at home will never outweigh the benefits of taking a seriously underexposed rivalry and giving it the exposure arrowhead gave it. Unfortunately, the reality of KU's situation is that it will take a few more years of success before people get as excited about going to memorial as they would about going to arrowhead. Arrowhead at this point is more enticing to the national media than memorial--- but our continued success will change that. We really need to get on board with an obviously intellegent Lew Perkins. That man has brought much needed savvy to our football program.

HawkDigestCom 9 years, 4 months ago

fabio -- I'd say we had 40k this year at Arrowhead. If we can match that again next year, I'd be thrilled. I'd love to be wrong, but it seems like a much tougher hill to climb in 2008.

thiknthin -- I want the Arrowhead game to be a success. It's the best recruiting weapon I can imagine, plus I never have to go to Columbia again. The revenue and exposure are key for the program. I talked the event up with everyone I knew. Unfortunately, the post event feedback has been negative for the majority. Sure the outcome factors in, but most of the people I've spoken with indicate they made their decision prior to kickoff.

Also, I'm a fan of Lew. I just wanted to point out that it was a mistake to not have the logistics of that game under his control.