Thursday, January 17, 2008

Young accepts Miami assistant coaching job

Kansas University defensive coordinator Bill Young confirmed to the Journal-World that he is in line to become defensive coordinator at Miami. The official announcement is awaiting the processing of paperwork.

"It's a new challenge," Young told the Journal-World. "Sometimes as a coach, you need that."

Young said it's not a done deal because of paperwork that needs to be completed. He said details of a contract have not been finalized.

He will replace Tim Walton, who was fired last month by Miami head coach Randy Shannon.

"It's a great opportunity to coach a program that has won several national titles," Young said.

Young spent six years at Kansas, leading some of the most successful defenses in school history. After KU ranked third nationally in run defense in 2005, Young became a popular figure in Lawrence. That continued in 2007, when the Jayhawks were top 10 nationally in run defense, pass defense and scoring defense.

Young, who's been in coaching for 39 years, speaks fondly of his tenure at Kansas.

"It was a wonderful time," Young said. "It's been a great six years."

Comments

walkdog262 6 years, 11 months ago

It's too bad he's leaving, but it's a good sign that Mangino knows top talent. The Canes will be back on top soon, so their hiring Young means he's a top-flight coach.

Mr_Sandman 6 years, 11 months ago

This sucks, are we gonna have any assistants left? I hope we have some promising position coaches who can step up or can hire someone outside the program. There could be a significant drop-off in coaching quality if we can't fill these positions with quality coaches.

DSommersby 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for all your efforts Coach Young. You put together some salty game plans and helped build up several players into really strong players. Always felt good that you were pushing the buttons for the defense and knew you could get us going.

Hope something falls thru with the paperwork and somehow you stay at KU but thanks again and best of luck with the Canes.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

While I understand the need for a new challenge ...

which program is closer to a national/BCS title:

Miami or Kansas?

Best of luck, Coach Young!

Kevin Long 6 years, 11 months ago

OUCH! Come on man!! I hate the price of success!!!!

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

sevenyearhawk, are you fuking serious? You cannot recruit the caliber of athlete at KU that you can at UM. That was probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard you say, ever!

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

And when was the last time that Miami was relevant?

that program has gone to pot ... but they definitely have the right coach to rebuild!

While Kansas is a less populace state, Florida has SEVEN Division one colleges, with FAMU threatening to become the eighth ...

Ryan Gerstner 6 years, 11 months ago

Best of luck Bill. You did an outstanding job at KU and I wish you all the best! We'll miss having you here, but hopefully not too much. :-)

McGuzzo23 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree as we are coming along pretty good. Miami will out recruit us every year. You can't fault Young for taking this job it will be a good deal. Looks like he got pretty comfortable at Dolphin Stadium as it will be his new home field.

Jacobpaul81 6 years, 11 months ago

What you talking about, notabandwagonfan. Apart from the increase in Sunshine, and a beach, what's miami got that lawrence hasn't got? It's more expensive, there's more people (and more competition for limelight), and they don't have Mark Mangino. You'd certainly be better off coming to Kansas and being the star (like Aquib Talib's done), than go to Miami, and just be another dude. =)

Shazam 6 years, 11 months ago

We were lucky to have a coach as talented as Young at Kansas, but his success only demonstrates Mangino's ability to find excellent coaches. Between that, our emergence as a real football program, and Perkins holding the purse strings, we should expect a great replacement.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 11 months ago

It's ok. Mangino knows what he's doing and he has lots of coaching connections. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he doesn't replace these coaches with equally adept people. Remember, coaches are important but players make plays. Who would have clamored to keep Young after 2002?

John Percival 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree sevenyear - Miami's a joke now. Need for a new challenge?!? the guy's been coaching for 39 years and who knows how many stops (I heard about 5 in the last 15 years on the radio this morning). How 'bout building a legacy? How 'bout some loyalty now that you've had success. Yes, I'm pissed.

justanotherfan 6 years, 11 months ago

sevenyear,

Usually you are on top of things and I tend to agree with you, but the last time Miami was relevant was 2002 when they were playing for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Add to that the fact that you can stumble out of bed in Florida and run into D-I football talent. Oh, and the Canes just landed the #1 recruiting class in the nation. 14 of their 27 commitments are from within 90 miles of campus. As much as I love Kansas, you can't land the #1 recruiting class with half your talent from within 90 miles of Lawrence.

This is a tough loss for the Hawks. Hopefully we can maintain the level of success that we had this year with some new coaches.

phoggydrive 6 years, 11 months ago

notabandwagonfan...I'd quite talking crap and starting thanking your lucky stars. You got a heck of coach and that's were you should leave it at.

Mo Golany 6 years, 11 months ago

Coach Young good luck to you in Miami! too bad you couldn't stay because great things r brewing here! The Canes suck and they need all the help they can get! I'm almost certain that with the success of this season, Mark Mangino will almost certainly be bringing in a better defensive coach! Who wouldn't want to come to KU! With the new facility and being in the Big 12! There will be a top notch D here next year and I am excited to see who the new replacement will be!

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

sevenyearhawk, 2005 had a 9 win team, and was ranked 3rd in the country late in the season but lost 2 ga tech. Thats 2 seasons ago. Dont have amnesia!

JBurtin 6 years, 11 months ago

Bill Young - Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line

Clint Bowen - Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties

Mangino didn't expect Young to be here forever. Even if he stayed at Kansas he would only have had a few more years. Bowen is a young guy (no pun intended) that is loyal the University of Kansas. He already knows how we play defense.

Sure we'll still need a couple of quality guys to replace the ones we have lost, but I really don't think we'll miss a beat. This kind of thing just has to be dealt with when a program experiences success.

justanotherfan 6 years, 11 months ago

sevenyear,

Usually I agree with you, but today I am not with you. Miami played for the NATIONAL TITLE just six years ago. They WON the thing seven years ago. They haven't been very good for a couple of years, but that hardly makes them irrelevant.

They landed the #1 recruiting class this year based almost entirely on recruiting the state of Florida. 20 of 27 recruits from Florida, most of those from within 90 miles of Miami. They even took the best Kansas prospect (Arthur Brown). As I said this fall, its fun to kick the Canes when they are down (my dad is a huge fan and I've enjoyed rubbing it in these last two years), but they can rebuild faster than anyone because all they have to do is convince a dozen kids to stay close to home. Not many schools can say that.

sdoyel 6 years, 11 months ago

Mangino is going to WVU. Wait. No he's not.

Bill Young is staying. Wait. No he's not.

Come on Mr. Wood.... You've GOT to start doing a better job for us readers!

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

start thanking my lucky stars? Ok for some of you newbies to this board, I've been here the past 2 season, but havent been posting much lately. I'm from kansas, live in lawrence actually. This is bittersweet for me, because I have always been a hurricane fan. Some of you people who believe miami is a joke are just plain retarded. Im not talking crap, because I love jayhawk football. However, anyone with any logical sense on here cant sit here and agree with anyone who thinks bill young should stay at the powerhouse of ku football and leave for the joke of miami football. With that said, ku did something very special that nobody expected last season. That same very thing is expected every season at Miami. Get a clue people!

Michael Leiker 6 years, 11 months ago

This makes me very sad. This guy was a huge key for KU. Not too many guys take 6'1" QBs from derby and turn them into big XII defensive players of the year. Plus for those of us that just like watching fundamentally sound defensive football it's been a great 6 years. Good Luck Coach Young, thanks for all you did....DAMM IT

I hope Mangino can find the same kind of guy to lead the defense going forward.

phoggydrive 6 years, 11 months ago

If getting a clue is what it is about then I think you've missed the boat. Do you really think posting anything that paints KU in a bad/sour light compared to another school is going to be met with positive feedback on a KU board???

I'm not saying the KU DC position is better than the Miami DC position, history would lean toward Miami and pay probably too. I'm just saying if the two schools played today...who would win?

Michael Leiker 6 years, 11 months ago

Burtin - I agree, let's start the Bowen for D-Coordinator bandwagon

notabandwagonfan - seems like your name would be more appropriate on a U site...and yes I know you've been posting a while. People from Kansas who are U fans shouldn't be talking about how they're not bandwagon KU football fans.

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

what does that have to do with anything? Thats not even relevant? This relates to a coach taking a better job at a better football school. If that upsets you, then im truely sorry. Nothing I said casted Ku in a negative light, period! I said that you cannot recruit the same caliber of athlete at ku that you can at miami, ala Arthur Brown. Case closed! And in 3 years, if not 2, Miami would hand it to them.

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

Im stating the obvious leikness, so people can pull their heads out of their dillusional a$$es. Thats like saying that if miami had a GREAT season in basketball, and their coach had an offer to go to ku, then he should stay because ku had a down year. Get real!

Michael Leiker 6 years, 11 months ago

Didn't say Young made the wrong choice, just saying you need to get a different screen name.

shelleysue 6 years, 11 months ago

Perkins get to work and find us an even bigger Defensive genius than Bill Young.

John Percival 6 years, 11 months ago

Miami's a joke b/c they're a bunch of thugs & have been for 20 years. Their coaches have been slime balls & they had to bring in a guy that's done everything he tells his players not to do to turn things around. If our basketball team won the way they do, I'd be embarrassed. I think the brawl with FIU is still on youtube if you need a refresher.

John Percival 6 years, 11 months ago

doesn't matter. the U was willing participants.

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

Im also a ku fan from ks. So that means I cannot support 2 schools? damn....... Hey 909603, if i came to you and body slammed you, would you fight back?

6 years, 11 months ago

I hate seeing Coach Young go to the scUM co'Canes in what is basically a lateral move. His history has proven though that he is fairly nomadic. I have confidence Coach Mangino will find the best possible replacement for him.

Kevin Long 6 years, 11 months ago

notabandwagonfan- you have made your point, whatever it is. People get upset when coaches leave. Let everyone vent for awhile! We may say some stuff that doesn't make sense, but it is because we are all KU bias. This is kusports.com not Miami.com. I usually agree with you and like your posts, but today you are being a little ridiculous. Calling Liekness a simple minded bleep and whatever else.

John Percival 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm a lover, not a fighter. Just saying this was not an isolated incident in their history & swinging helmets are never the answer. I have to check it out when I get home - you can bet I'll be wearing fatigues when I do.

As I said before the OB - have faith in Mangino!

Michael Leiker 6 years, 11 months ago

I am a simple minded bleep....when it comes to KU athletics. I guess you can be fans of both schools, I just don't like it. I live in Omaha and it's kind of like being a Creighton Bball fan and a NU Football fan (tends to piss a lot of people off), but not exactly like that...got it.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

are we having fun yet?

this is a symptom of success - sad but true!

kevbo 6 years, 11 months ago

Best of luck Coach Young. Thanks for helping make us relevant! I'm confident Mangino and the gang will hire a competent replacement.

To all of you clamoring about him leaving, get over it. DCs don't stay with teams forever. It's just how it goes. I'm just happy our team is good enough that teams are taking coaches instead of picking them up off the floor after they've "left" or been fired. We're re-tooling on the D line, our corners look amazing. I am confident we will be just fine.

TtownHawk 6 years, 11 months ago

sadly this is what happens when you get good. oh well, better to be talking about this than another losing season. great year and whoever we replace him with i'm sure will do fine

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

I didnt call leikness a simple minded bleep. I called killabees a narrow minded bleep. I have ku bias as well, as why this is so bittersweet for me. But I will not sit here and listen to people degrade a school that I care about(MIAMI), just as I would not sit and listen to someone dis another school that I care about(KU). Im a fan of both football and basketball of both schools.

townie42 6 years, 11 months ago

As a Lawrence native & a UM alum, I have to say I'm a bit torn on this one.

As a Canes fan, I'm ecstatic to get a great defensive coach with experience.

I just wish he was leaving a different school. I want to see KU keep rolling. I love seeing KU win a BCS game while Mizzou's best team in 30 years is in the Holiday Bowl. :)

As to all this ruckus about which program is better... I love my Canes, but wouldn't it be better if we could just settle it on the field for a National Championship??

grantmvb 6 years, 11 months ago

notabandwagonfan: Why the hostility? You're making yourself look like a fool. You realize this is kusports.com. It has the word KU not Miami. I agree comments like "who's closer to a NC" don't have any credibility, but post comments about Miami football on a Miami Hurricanes site. And, I'm sorry but nobody cares how long you've been blogging on kusports.com

Bill Young is a great guy and should be thanked for bringing a Kansas football program back to the promise land. His defensive schemes and blitz packages were brilliant.

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

I look like a fool? Im not posting here on behalf of miami football fans, and the only reason I brought up the point of my posting here is because some of the newbies dont know my feelings about past jayhawk issues. You are obviously one of the newbies. I do not have to sit here and justify myself to you, are to anyone else. Stated again, I'm a fan of both. If you have a problem with that, deal with it. I will always be, and nothing any of you will say can change that. I'd defend KU in the same manner, as some of you, who aren't new, have seen in the past!

grantmvb 6 years, 11 months ago

once again, calm down buddy..

and if it makes you feel better i've only posting comments for about 6 months.

There is no correlation to the amount of time you've spent making comments on this site and the amount of knowledge you have about KU sports. Lives move on, my man.

Dan Harris 6 years, 11 months ago

Jimmy-Dean, Totally uncalled for! Coach Young thanks for being a huge part of KU Footballs best season ever! Now about Miami, I live in Dallas and I'm getting sick and tired of them stealing all of my teams coaches, first The Cowboys and now my Hawks! When does Hurricane season start and I'm notting talking about the Caines!

Alan Halvorsen 6 years, 11 months ago

I think Bowen would be a good fit....you know how Mangino likes guys who are familiar with the University/System. Plus he's young, and if I'm not mistaken, a grad of the U from Kansas.

Now that I've vented with my prior comment about Young, I'm glad he's gone. If you don't want to be here, we don't want you! I'm glad we can now move on and get someone in here who isn't in it for themselves.

I would understand him taking a head coaching job somewhere.

You want a challenge Young, I'll give you one harder than any college coaching staff has ever done....Win a National Championship with KANSAS or at least make them a consistant winner. (Sorry that isn't spelled right for you english professors on here) Then you can retire and call it quits! PUNK

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

A lot has changed since Miami won that title ...

Miami hasn't made a BCS bowl since the switch to the ACC, both appearances came in the Big East.

With apologies to Virginia Tech, the ACC has only appeared in the BCS Title game three times (FSU, every time)

The Big XII has had five appearances (OU, UT & Neb) - and I'll give the credit to our neighbors to the east ... if Mizzou beaten Oklahoma, that would have made number six (four schools)

[the SEC is 2nd with four (three schools)]

Winning the Big XII is more prestigious than the ACC (again, with apologies to our Hokie guests)

Thus ends my discussion of this ...

townie42 6 years, 11 months ago

Jimmy_Dean wrote: "Plus he's young, and if I'm not mistaken, a grad of the U from Kansas."

Clint Bowen is actually from Lawrence. He went to LHS.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Jimmy_Dean is young and full of piss and vinegar ... he'll calm down, I messaged him off-board.

This too shall pass, folks ...

at least Coach Young will already be in Florida when he finally retires! :)

William James 6 years, 11 months ago

I expected we might lose coaches to head coaching vacancees. The way we are losing them makes me feel like Im supporting a mid-major.

townie42 6 years, 11 months ago

And sevenyear...

The Big12 champions haven't fared that well in the BCS title game (OU vs. LSU, Neb vs. Miami, OU vs. USC), so I wouldn't be using that argument. Frankly, the ACC has been terrrible (1 and 9 overall), but most Miami fans don't feel much affront at ACC insults since we haven't been in the conference very long. It's not like calling out Duke or UNC really bothers us :)

The Big12 is more prestigious than a down ACC, but make no mistake... if Miami & FSU are in the top 10 again (just a few years away, imo)... you'll be surprised how quickly the national pundits jump on the ACC bandwagon.

scootja32 6 years, 11 months ago

What's with the Miami love bandwagon?

Everyone I know that has attended has transferred (3 people) and everyone I know that has visited said "yeah, it's fun, but I wouldn't want to go to school there."

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Sadly, FSU isn't going to recover anytime soon ...

I like Coach Bowden, reminds me of a college professor I had (anyone know Jim Barnes?)

Miami may recover, but guess what's changed since leaving the Big East - FIU and FAU have grown, and with the Owls, even prospering, a bowl appearance is worth something!

It won't be like it was, parity has come to college football - and there is more competition in Florida now ...

Alan Halvorsen 6 years, 11 months ago

sevenyear, townie was just confirming what I said and then some.

Sending me a text off-line doesn't calm me down. Thanks for trying though.

I am full of piss, when I drink a lot, I don't ingest vinegar though.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

one more thing ...

the cost of housing in SoFla has gotten RIDICULOUS!!!

as someone who used to live there, and who visited my former employer during my Orange Bowl visit ...

things have changed, just in the last few years, this will affect coaches AND recruits!

townie42 6 years, 11 months ago

scootja - the Miami bandwagon is just 2 of us. More like a carpool. :) I loved my time there, no doubt.

Given the sports traditions of these 2 schools, this season is a bit unusual. We've got the football overlap for the first time since the Aloha years, & I'm hoping to see my Canes make a little noise in basketball... you have a little love to share with us for the Duke & UNC games, don't you??

Anyway, I'll save the rest of my Miami comments for the Miami boards.

Best of luck to the Hawks in 08!

hollpat 6 years, 11 months ago

Did you check your sources this time wood ?

rgreene 6 years, 11 months ago

hollpat,

When Young says it himself in the story, I'd say it's reliable. Don't you think?

JBurtin 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, this seem like much ado over nothing. Sure he's a good coach and all, but the man that brought him and all of the other coaches on board is still here. Mangino has had to build a program from the ground up over the last few years, it's not like he can't handle a simple assistant coaching hire.

BTW, sevenyear has a valid point. If I'm not mistaken, it was KU that won the Orange Bowl this year. That's not that far from national championship level football.

Anyone who thinks that KU can't recruit athletes on the level of Miami should probably look at which team produced 3 All-Americans this year.

The recruiting rankings are a joke and often times putting on your blinders and recruiting guys mostly from your area will make you miss out on some serious talent elsewhere. Just looks at Texas, all those stars and they still couldn't beat K-State. Yes, that's K-State, the same team that got beat by Iowa State. Miami could easily be falling into the same trap.

If you still want to look at our players and see only their star ratings, then more power to you. All I see is a talented group of Orange Bowl Champions.

FlaHawk 6 years, 11 months ago

JBurtin I disagree. KU had a great year (best in history) and produced 3 All-Americans. Miami has had years where they produced 5-6 All-Am,ericans. Look at the numbers currently in the NFL from Miami and KU ... no contest.

If KU could suck all the talent out of Texas they still could not match Miami and Florida (especially South Florida) football player production.

Check the number of NFLers from Florida and Texas .... again no cnntest.

Bill Young will enjoy having legitimate talent on his defense and not have to rely on sleepers and over achievers.

His life will be much more rewarding in Miami and you never know how long Randy Shannon will be around wither. Next step might be as Miami Head Coach!

Jim Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

Dudes! I am seeing no faith in Mangino here. Trust in the man who orchestrated the best season in KU football history. He will find his guy and we will continue to recruit the same kind of players that got us where we are today. He didn't win coach of the year for nothing!! Let Young do his thing and let Mangino take care of this in his own way. Assistant football coaches move around--fact of life. I, for one, respect Coach Mangino enough to expect a great replacement to step in and guide our excellent defensive players without much of a hiccup. We are an up and coming program. Faith, dudes!

peoplefoot 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry but Bill Young's defensive scheme is why we beat V-Tech. He will not be replaced easily, stay with Bowen he watched it all happen.

bmcmich1 6 years, 11 months ago

I'd certainly love to see Clint Bowen be promoted to the DC position. He's a Lawrence native, a KU guy through and through, and probably most important he's been here the entire Mangino era (and then some) and knows the ropes.

This is just proof that KU as a program still has some work to do. Coordinators leave big time programs all the time, but usually it's to take a head coaching job elsewhere, not the same positon. We need to keep things rolling and establish some consistency at the top, and next time a coordinator leaves it will be to take a head coaching job.

The important thing in all of this is that you have the main man staying put. Keep Mangino here for a while and we will be able to maintain a high level of success and avoid slipping back into mediocrity like so many high profile KU teams of the past have.

We can't be so naive as to think that we can go 12-1, win the Orange Bowl, and not have any other schools notice and come knocking at our coaching staff's door. What's important is we move on and continue to look forward. We've got great recruits and top notch youngsters to fill the holes left after this season, let's not forget that. I am not soured one bit on the progress of KU Football after this news, and can't wait for August.

ROCK CHALK!!!

okjhok 6 years, 11 months ago

Young's defensive scheme is NOT why we beat VTU. They have a horrible offense, and when they wanted to run the ball, they did so at will. It's their fault they didn't stick to it...they may have beaten us.

Coach Young has every right to take this job, and we, as fans, have every right to rip him for his decision. It's part of the business. Gotta have a thick skin. That said, I'm with Jimmy Dean on this one...don't let the door hit you in the ass, Young.

JBurtin 6 years, 11 months ago

Gee FlaHawk, since you put it that way it seems like all the talent in the nation must be in Florida and everybody else should just pack it in and stick to basketball.

I could care less who the NFL thinks is worthy of playing. Their methods of talent evaluation stink. Brodie Croyle will probably stink up the field in the NFL for the next 10 years simply because he won a popularity contest. Meanwhile, Todd Reesing will likely never sniff an NFL paycheck despite having considerable talent.

I'm simply not buying the argument that Florida players have so much more talent than everyone else. If that were truly the case then Nebraska would have zero national championships. It's all about how your coaches evaluate talent and what they do with that talent once they have it. If teams like Nebraska and K-State can compete at the highest levels, there is no reason KU cannot do the same.

truefan 6 years, 11 months ago

FlaHawk, I beleive JBurtin was refering to this years All Americans and how the Canes have fallen into mediocre seasons as of late. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows that they have produced better in the past, and it's rediculous to assume that he was referring to the past when looking at how we faired without Mangino. The fact is, when talking to VT fans and seeing how nice they were and how humble they were in defeat, I found out who the bad guy was in the VT vs. UMiami rivaly. Miami is the Missouri of that rivalry and when looking at their behavior in the past, they have always been the Missouri of that conference. I wish Young the best, but I wish he had left for a legitimate school instead of that group of thugs.

On another note, I think everyone is making a big deal about this because no one wants to repeat what is now happening to K-State. They enjoyed a great decade, but with too much success, all of the assistants kept leaving and are now coaching other big twelve schools or helping big programs win titles. I am just hoping Mangino will fair well with his damage control responsibilities. Bowen has my vote as well.

eastTXjayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

The problem here is that although both schools have former NFL quarterbacks that may have played against each other in high school, ours (John Hadl) retired years ago, while theirs (Vinny Testaverde) has managed to defy the space-time continuum and add an unfair advantage in the "total number of players in the NFL" arguement.

Speaking of former KU QB's, going to be interesting to see what the Aggies look like with Nolan Cromwell as their OC...

eastTXjayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

ironic that i can spell space-time continuum and not "argument"

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

truefan.............................once again, narrow minded individuals who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the University of Miami come to this board making stupid comments. Thugs you call them? I understand you cannot change the past 20 years ago, but Miami is HARDLY a group of thugs. Don't believe me? Look at graduation rates, academic all-americans, etc......... Miami has higher admission standards than most schools, including ku, in the country. Dont believe me? Look all of that up. In my opinion, THUGS don't go to school. They gangbang, do drugs, sell drungs, and steal cars everyday. To my knowledge, there are no, as in 0 players who have ever done this. Dont believe me? Look it up! You wanna talk about thugs? Talk about the florida gators, who have had more arrests in the past 2 years under Urban Liar than any school in the country. Talk about florida st who had to sit over 25 players who were involved in a cheating scandal. I hope you understand now!

hometownhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

We just lost an excellent DC to Miami. Obviously they have more football tradition than us. But I, for one, am completely sick of hearing all these KU/UM diehards come out of the woodwork. I know you post all the time notabandwagonfan, but usually as a KU fan. We all get it. You guys love Miami, but this is a KU board and if people want to vent, let them. It's really annoying to see every other post repeating how glorious "the U" is.

Jimconch 6 years, 11 months ago

Right state, wrong school. The real thugs are at the University of Florida and Florida State. The "thug" image, which Jimmy Johnson cultivated to draw attention to an otherwise unnoticed small private school, was dropped during the Butch Davis era when Miami was serving probation. Their current coach Randy Shannon is a no-nonsense disciplinarian who was hired to replace Larry Coker of the FIU brawl incident; that brawl cost Coker his job. To the brain-dead fool who claims that it does not matter who started the fight: If I swung at you, would you fight back? If not, then more than your brain is dead. The Univ. of Tennessee recently suspended a player for failing his 4th drug test! The school allows 3 freebies! Try that at Miami and you would be sent packing the same day that you tested positive the first time. Oh, and check Ohio State's arrest record. Just pack a lunch when you do; you'll need it.

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank you jimconch, once again somebody is intelligent!