Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Young denies accepting Miami job

Kansas University defensive coordinator Bill Young denied a published report stating he accepted a job at Miami on Wednesday.

"I haven't accepted a job anywhere," Young said when reached Wednesday evening.

Young has been linked to jobs at Miami and Washington in recent weeks, but the veteran assistant insists he's still defensive coordinator at Kansas.

CSTV.com, citing anonymous sources, posted a story on its site Wednesday saying Young had accepted a two-year deal to become the defensive coordinator at Miami.

Comments

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

hey umchick, its canes thing! "Its all about THE U!

hometownhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

He sure didn't say anything about staying here. Sounds eerily like "Not yet."

Carter Patterson 6 years, 11 months ago

Lew! More bags of cash please.

Coach Bill....you gotta stay a few more years....the ship has just left the launch pad on the way to the moon. Miami has no facilities. It rains every day in Washington.

DSommersby 6 years, 11 months ago

Hang on Coach Young. We still need you! Hope he stays!

UMchick 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't know why people say that Miami has no facilities - esp. if they've never seen them. They may not be billion dollar facilities, but they do the job. I guess they were good enough for Arthur Brown to leave the state of Kansas and go to Miami. There's a reason why all the 'Canes in the NFL come back during the offseason to train there .. along with other NFL players.

It would be a great hire if Coach Young came to Miami. I hope he does. Congrats on your season by the way Kansas .. amazing job.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

let's look at it like this:

Where is he the closest to getting a shot at a BCS title?

Washington, Miami or Kansas?

I think we ALL know the answer to this question!!!

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm kinda surprised that a Miami fan found our little site here... I always thought we were a bit off of the beaten path.

Please stay Coach Young! We still need you!

John Brown 6 years, 11 months ago

I hope that if Young leaves Kansas he'll go to a program and city that has class. I would not want my children to grow up in Miami. Miami the city has a lot of problems. That fight that broke out last year versus FIU is symbol of Miami the city. I have lived in the south for 15 years and Miami is the only large metropolitan city in the south that I totally dislike. It is not that it is unattractive but that all the people have nasty attitudes. For those who have never been there, Florida has much better beaches to spend vacation than Miami. South Beach is nasty.

townie42 6 years, 11 months ago

jbrownjib - have you been to miami anytime other than the orange bowl? you might be surprised to know 1) the school is in a great area, 2) there are plenty of beaches other than SoBe if you don't like the vibe, and 3) it's not snowing there tonight :)

plastic- there are more miami fans around than you realize...

imo, the hurricanes will be just fine with coach shannon taking back the def, but best of luck to coach young wherever he goes.

the hawks had a great year. i for one would like to see them become a powerhouse in the big12.

Jeremy Bolinger 6 years, 11 months ago

Being a jayhawk fan and a hurricane fan, been both my entire life, if there is one team i'd have no problem with bill young leaving. I think he'd be great a Miami. Also, for those who continue to bash the city of Miami, keep this in mind....... The university is NOT in the city of Miami itself, its in the suburbs. Also, the infamous "brawl" that someone stated earler, was in fact due to the attitude of FIU, not Miami. I could only hope that if anyone were to pick up kerry meier and bodyslam him to the turf, that the entire team would have his back and kick some A$$. Im sick and tired of hearing all the negative talk about Miami and the University. There is plenty of attitude around Lawrence Kansas as well, and most of you people know what I'm talking about.

scootja32 6 years, 11 months ago

PAY HIM LEW!!!! YOU F'D UP THE HILL. YOU OWE US THIS

UMchick 6 years, 11 months ago

For those that have no idea .. obviously this jbrownjib guy doesn't - University of Miami is in Coral Gables - south of the city of Miami. It's not in some ghetto. Honestly, I wouldn't want you here in the first place jbrownjib. Who honestly cares if you don't like the city. The fact that you said the fight that broke out between FIU and UM is a symbol of Miami the city is probably the most asinine statement I've ever heard. I guess the brawl between Dartmouth and Holy Cross last year is a symbol of the city of Hanover, New Hampshire. I guess the brawl between Clemson and South Carolina in '04 is a symbol of the city of Clemson, South Carolina. I guess the fight that broke out between USC and Notre Dame years back is a symbol of South Bend, Indiana. I guess the brawl between Ole Miss and Mississippi St. in '97 is a symbol of Starkville, Miss. I could keep on going if you'd like ... yea, I know a little about college football.

It's not some small town in the middle of nowhere. It's a major metropolitan city - and just like any major metropolitan city, it's going to have its bad parts and good parts. It's the 43rd most populous city in the U.S. and is an important international financial and cultural center with one of largest and most influential ports in the U.S. The city of Miami itself has around 405,000 people in it and the Metro area of Miami has 5.5 million. So like I said before, a city that size is going to have a few bad parts .... it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. I'm stating the obvious by saying jbrownjib - you are far from a genius based on your statement earlier. Miami is such a bad place, that's why how many countless celebrities, absurdly wealthy businessmen, government officials, famous families (who are American institutions in themselves), etc. choose to live there? South Beach isn't for everyone .. it's like Rodeo Drive that happens to be right on the water with amazing night clubs and restaurants. If you don't like that, then yes, Florida does have plenty of other beaches. South Beach isn't a place that you take your kids on a vacation anyway .. it's a place for you to get away from your kids and enjoy yourself as an adult.

UMchick 6 years, 11 months ago

As for the University itself, esp. the football team, you cannot tell me you wouldn't want your kid attending there if they could. Last year alone, the average GPA for incoming students was 4.2 and the median SAT score was 1295. Almost 70% of the students admitted last year were in the top 10% of their high school class. In this years America's Best Colleges from U.S. News & World Reports, UM was ranked 52nd out of 254 National Universities. That's not that bad. Not to forget that last year the football team had more Academic All-Americans than any other school in the ACC ... that includes schools such as Duke, Wake Forest, UVirginia, Boston College, and UNorth Carolina - all schools that aren't too shabby in the academic aspect.

I could go on, but I won't. If you don't like Miami jbrownjib, then you don't like it. But for God's sake, at least have something intelligent to say about why you don't like it. You're making some vague generalizations and sound blindly biased. It would be similar to me saying that everyone in the city of Lawrence and the city itself is nasty and ignorant just because I came across you, jbrownjib.

KUbsee69 6 years, 11 months ago

Why argue about the cities the schools are in? The real issue is that KU should do (pay?) everything possible to retain talented coaches and staff.

Now that I've said that, UMchick, I do have one major problem with Miami, and you pointed it out ... it's an ACC school. Because of media bias, I've accumulated years of animosity towards the over-hyped and over-rated ACC.

Alan Halvorsen 6 years, 11 months ago

That is just what I was saying when comparing KU to VT. The ACC is only ahead of the Big East and Thee Big Ten Conference's, and not by much.

They have have big names, but with little games. Kansas proved that.