Wednesday, January 16, 2008

KU to celebrate football season

Kansas University athletics officials have scheduled a free public event to celebrate the football team's Orange Bowl victory.

The celebration is set for 7:30 p.m. Feb. 23 at Allen Fieldhouse and coincides with the football awards presentation, said Jim Marchiony, KU associate athletic director.

"We wanted to make sure that as many people as possible could attend," he said.

The Jayhawks finished at 12-1 and defeated Virginia Tech 24-21 on Jan. 3 in Miami.

Marchiony said the cold weather influenced trying to plan a parade.

"It's wintertime. Having it indoors in the winter seemed to make a whole lot more sense," he said.

KU's men's basketball team plays Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. that day in Stillwater, Okla.

Comments

Chiliskate 12 years, 2 months ago

why is this scheduled during the NFL combine?????? Would talib and AC be able to attend... what about other seniors invited to the combine? did anyone look at the calendar?

lance1jhawk 12 years, 2 months ago

It's nice that they want to honor the the team at Allen Fieldhouse. I really wanted a parade through downtown though.

Kevin Long 12 years, 2 months ago

That is pretty sad. I thought there was a parade in Lawrence? Come on KU get with the program! We had a great year.

William Cormode 12 years, 2 months ago

Why dont they just wait until July and have a parade? That would make sense.

I was ready for one of these in the first week after. I was checking every day to see a story on it.

Mangino_Maniac 12 years, 2 months ago

I can't believe they haven't held a celebration already... what's taking them so long? Plus, who cares if it's winter!!! This team deserves a parade, and soon.

hometownhawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Obviously this thing is way too far removed from the game. But I do know they haven't done anything at the basketball games other than the highlight film because they're waiting to do it on junior day for recruits.

KUColBond 12 years, 2 months ago

They don't want to do it at a basketball game because they want it to be open to the public. They needed to wait until students were back on campus, so it wasn't within a week of the game itself, otherwise the majority of students wouldn't be able to attend. I wish it didn't have to wait so long, but I know that date was influenced by the availability of AFH.

thiknthinhawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Its time to start acting like a football school--- should have celebrated much better than this.

troutsee 12 years, 2 months ago

I think the time is fine. Everyone is still pumped up. The students will be there and recruiting will be over.

wi_jayhawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Have some faith in KU fans. The fieldhouse will be packed...I have no doubts. The students never let the team down.

Larry Smith 12 years, 2 months ago

I don't know what all the complaining is about. Would you really want a parade when all the students are gone for winter break? shouldn't they have a chance to celebrate also? Do you really think that the team is not going to be excited about this event?

Why a parade? does every team that wins a BCS game have a parade or something? I could understand if it was the National Championship. This would be akin to having a parade if the BB team made it to the final four.

I am still pumped about the fact that we won the Orange Bowl!

Dirk Medema 12 years, 2 months ago

The recruiting will be over is a reason for waiting to have the celebration? Hello! Winning a BCS bowl game should be a marketing tool to be used during recruiting. It shouldn't be an after thought. The most important part of this year's recruiting will have passed with only words (vs. actions) to proclaim the program's success.

My wife grew up in Huskerdom, and was amazed at the lack of response. I realize that it takes a while to build a tradition (FB) and generate the fan support of NU, OU, UT, A&M, but the Admin needs to set the example. Maybe Lew and the other suits can learn from Coach M and head to school that has built a program in order to figure out how to celebrate.

There will be student support, but the AD missed the window on this one.

GrayHawker 12 years, 2 months ago

Henry and Fine are going to be at the combine, too. McClinton and Rodriguez could be.

At least 4, if not 6 of the most important members of the 2007 team wouldn't be able to attend.

What kid of possible motivation would KUAC have to do something like this.

THIS IS UNTHINKABLE - ALMOST LIKE THEY DON'T WANT THE SENIORS TO LEAVE ON A GOOD NOTE?????

This on the heels of NOT even having a senior banquet last year. Screwing the seniors 2 years in a row?