Wednesday, January 16, 2008

KU athletes set GPA record

Kansas University student-athletes earned a combined 2.93 grade-point average during the 2007 fall semester, setting an athletic-department record for a fall semester.

Ten of KU's 18 varsity teams compiled GPAs of 3.0 or higher, led by women's golf (3.37 GPA), which edged volleyball (3.33) for the highest average. Women's basketball's 3.11 set an all-time record for that sport at KU.

A department-record 48 athletes achieved perfect 4.0 GPAs, heading a group of 229 student-athletes named to the athletic director's honor Roll (GPAs of 3.0 or higher).

Here are team GPAs for fall 2007:

Baseball (2.75), men's basketball (2.82), women's basketball (3.11), football (2.39), men's golf (2.90), women's golf (3.37), rowing (3.14), softball (3.08), soccer (2.96), swimming and diving (3.29), tennis (3.28), men's track (2.85), men's cross country (2.85), women's track (3.13), women's CC (3.29), volleyball (3.33), spirit squad (2.95), all sports combined (2.93).

Comments

Chiliskate 12 years, 6 months ago

Now...that's what I am talking about!!!! Congratulations!

5DecadeHawk 12 years, 6 months ago

It is NOT a coincidence that our football success this year coincides with improved academic performance.

How many times this year did we hear quotes from our coaches about how intelligent this team was? How much has that helped them make adjustments? How did that play into committing so few penalties? How did that play into committing so few turnovers?

It takes a blend of speed, power, appropriate size, dedication, preparation, desire, AND BRAINS!!!! to really be a good player in any sport.

I hope the days of recruiting big dumb jocks are long gone. Having smart athletes is important. Teaching and training them to use that most important athletic organ between their ears should be celebrated much more than it is.

Well done Jayhawks. LET'S SET A NEW RECORD NEXT TERM!

Don Everett 12 years, 6 months ago

Congrats overalll -

but if you think a collective 2.39 shows BRAINS then we all have a problem. It is the lowest fall sport listed, by far!! Consider the student atheletes that were on the all Big 12 Academic Team with 3.80+ GPA's. Now you do the math to see what it takes to drag that to an average of 2.39. I wouldn't say we had a team of rocket scientist's.

Ray March 12 years, 6 months ago

get all A's...........................yeah..... (the faint sound of 1 man clapping is heard in the distance)

whatev, just get the A in "April" and i'll be happy!

;)

kranny 12 years, 6 months ago

Jayhawkdon, I beg to differ. There are approximately 90 players on the football team and the team has a 2.39 GPA. The other teams don't have near the numbers and aren't much better than the fball team. Compare that to an overall Campus enrollment GPA of 2.77 and quite frankly that's impressive. Compare this GPA to USC's and I think you'll be verrry surprised. WWW.USC.EDU

Don Everett 12 years, 6 months ago

I hear what you are saying, but I don't care about USC or any other school for that matter. My contention is with saying that all we are recruiting now are BRAINS, not dumb jocks. I'm not saying they are dumb jocks at all, but saying we now have only BRAINS is a stretch. Football smarts and class smarts are 2 completely different things.

The overall campus of 2.77 includes 10's of 1000's. A 2.39 for 90 people, all of who have access to personal tutors, doesn't say a whole lot to me. I do not expect the football team to have a 3.5 gpa, but for someone to applaud it doesn't impress me.

actorman 12 years, 6 months ago

I agree with jayhawkdon. While the overall athletic gpa is impressive, the football team's is not. If it had been similar to basketball's 2.82, that would have been pretty good. But I'm sorry, 2.39 is just not impressive. Not only do they have personal tutors, but they don't have to do nearly the traveling of, say, the baseball team or even the basketball team. They don't have to miss as many classes. And they have every possible advantage to help them with their studies. Yes, I realize it's not easy balancing football with academics, but 2.39 to me just doesn't cut it.

tckramer 12 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to all who play for Jayhawk nation!

Yeah a 2.39 in football is nothing outstand but if I remember right a few years back I think the football team had like a 1.99 GPA for a semester. Also it would be interesting to see if the football GPA will climb during the spring semseter when they no longer have the load of games and practices.