Sunday, January 6, 2008

Ryan Wood’s Kansas Football Notebook

Beck to Nebraska?

The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star is reporting that KU assistant coach Tim Beck "appears" to have been hired by Nebraska.

New Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini named eight of his nine assistants in December, but held off naming his running-backs coach until January because that coach was involved in a bowl game.

Beck, who did not a return a call seeking comment, just finished his third season coaching KU's wide receivers.

He's a key recruiter for the Jayhawks in talent-rich Texas, where he previously was a high school head coach.

Pelini and Beck both attended Cardinal Mooney High in Youngstown, Ohio in the mid-1980s. The Journal Star said an announcement is expected early this week.

No Gatorade bath

One of the traditions in big bowl games wasn't included in KU's postgame celebration after the Orange Bowl.

KU coach Mark Mangino stayed dry after KU's 24-21 victory over Virginia Tech, avoiding getting drenched with Gatorade in the closing seconds as football tradition usually dictates.

Two players, one being Marcus Herford, actually appeared to have the idea in the works as national television cameras followed their every move.

But they were stopped by an assistant coach before the shower began.

The cooler ended up on the sideline, tipped over, after the game.

Mangino has been drenched before, after clinching bowl eligibility in 2003 and after the Fort Worth Bowl in 2005.

Happy for Mark

Former KU basketball coach Roy Williams was asked by the Winston-Salem Journal on Friday if he "ever dreamed" KU would go 12-1 and win the Orange Bowl.

"No, not when I was there. Mark's really done a great job," said Williams, now at North Carolina.

"He said one thing I really liked, and I could add to it. He said he really felt great for those kids who have been there through the tough times. Well I really felt great for him because he had been there through the tough times.

"I think that's a great story in college football. It's a great story in what Mark Mangino did. When he made that statement my first response was, 'What about you, big fella? You were there when times were tough.' I felt really, really happy for him."

Comments

William Cormode 12 years, 9 months ago

Even Roy is making cracks at his weight. I know its not healthy but every comment about KU football does not need a comment about his weight. When I talk about LSU and now Nebraska I dont mention how ugly Pelini is.

Dirk Medema 12 years, 9 months ago

I don't think Roy was making fun of Magino's weight. "Big Fella" is a much more general term, and Coach Mangino would be a "Big Fella" regardless of whether he is overweight or not. Roy was being gracious and congratulatory. Don't let past BB wounds distort your perspective of the world.

vanillajoe 12 years, 9 months ago

Awesome! I was wondering what Roy thought about this season! Unlike the UNC job, he gave a poo about the KU football program, so it's absolutely appropriate that his thoughts about the great season are published in the paper. GREAT GREAT JOB LJW!!!!

JBurtin 12 years, 9 months ago

Mangino also got drenched after beating Nebraska for the first time in 37 years.

seattlehawk_78 12 years, 9 months ago

I've never cared for the tradition but I'm curious as to why one of the coaches intervened.

One of these days that gatorade bath is going to cause a heart attack.

Jonathan Allison 12 years, 9 months ago

I was looking back through the Sawin' Wood archives for the gem of a blog you wrote after the Southeastern La game about your projections for the season.

the whole multiply everything by 6 formula. It worked pretty well.

"- Sophomore quarterback Todd Reesing will have 3,108 yards passing with 36 touchdowns and no interceptions. With these numbers, Keegan will soon pen a masterpiece arguing that Reesing deserves to take Roosevelt's spot on Mount Rushmore. What did the Bull Moose really do, anyway?

• Not to be outdone, backup quarterback Kerry Meier will complete 100 percent of his passes this season, tying a world record. He'll go 42-for-42 for 420 yards and 12 touchdowns. Controversy, anyone?

• Wide receiver Marcus Henry will catch 72 balls for 1,332 yards and 12 touchdowns.

• Brandon McAnderson will rush for 1,020 yards on 162 carries. Jake Sharp will rush for 828 yards on 138 carries."

All I can say is "Wow!" Did you ever imagine you'd be so close on that. What a year

Tad Shurtz 12 years, 9 months ago

While we're on the subject, what color was Roy's bowel movement this morning? Thanks in advance.

Joe Ross 12 years, 9 months ago

Roy is a class act. I appreciate his comments and congratulations for Coach Mangino. They were all well-deserved.