Sunday, January 6, 2008

Fired-up teams trade words

Chalmers, Sanders yap, but 'it was no big deal'

— There was no real pushing or shoving and certainly no fisticuffs exchanged.

But plenty of words were traded between Kansas University's Mario Chalmers and Boston College's Rakim Sanders with 9:55 left in KU's 85-60 pasting of Boston College on Saturday in Conte Forum.

"I slipped, and he helped me up. After that, we were talking back and forth," Chalmers said. "No. 15 (Sanders) ... he's a good player. I was trying to lock him up (on defense) today. It was no big deal."

Yet the scuffle, which included KU's Darrell Arthur and Sherron Collins yapping with some of the Eagles, appeared to inspire the Jayhawks, who immediately went on an 8-0 run, expanding a 14-point lead to 22.

"Anytime players have a conversation, it will fire teams up," Chalmers said.

KU's Brandon Rush agreed.

"It sparked us big-time. We love stuff like that, especially in somebody else's house," Rush said, adding, "Mario got in somebody's face, and everybody stood up for him."

Rush was not in the game at the time.

"I couldn't leave the bench. You do that and you draw a suspension," Rush said.

Chalmers grinned when asked about one of the refs jumping between the players and offering some words of his own.

"I can't say what he said," Chalmers said. "I think he was nervous seeing two players (arguing). There were a couple of cuss words (from the ref), a couple of other things. It didn't bother me."

KU coach Bill Self doesn't condone players fighting, of course, but as a former player, he knows words get exchanged on occasion in the heat of battle.

"Typical stuff," Self said of the exchange. "Sanders was good. He's a good player (21 points). We heard last night from a close source he was really talented. He played to his talent level today.

"I think Mario got a little excited. They exchanged some words. That happens all the time. I don't like seeing that, but it doesn't bother me at all. It kind of got us fired up."

Comments

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

short post just for ku98...

APDnickafizzou likes to be ridiculed and to withold it from him is just plain cruel. :-)

Go KU!

John Brown 6 years, 11 months ago

I think that it inspired Jackson most of all. He took it to the hole with fire right after the game resumed. I don't think any of the BC players were going jump in front of that train going at full speed. Watch the film on that play because Jackson definately had the "Eye of the Tiger" in that drive to the hoop.

APDJayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

JRoss...I have attempted in the past to disagree with you on a topic. The problem is that when I make a point that doesn't kiss the coaches or players butts, like when Kansas chokes out of the NCAA Tournament early, YEAR AFTER YEAR, and I provide solid facts and figures as to why they shouldn't be, it hurts your feelings to the point that the only way you can feel good about yourself is to believe I am a Mizzou fan. And then there's jaybate..."i'm just playing with the limits of the medium to see what it can take"...I can understand how you would have to be succinct in your work, since there's really no room to be verbose when taking someone's fast food order, but analytical? Even if you have worked your way up to fries, I don't think they are counting on your analytical capabilities.

JNgohawks 6 years, 11 months ago

I loved the way Jackson grabbed Mario by the jersey and yanked him back.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

"There were a couple of cuss words (from the ref)"

OK, a point of emphasis this year is to keep coaches and players from cursing. The refs are to T them up if they do. But, it's ok for the refs to continue to do it????

JNgohawks 6 years, 11 months ago

the funniest was when Aaron Miles stepped up for Wayne Simien. He got in between Wayne and had words with the other guy. I think it embarrassed Wayne, being so big and all. Aaron was a little excitable, I think he and Mario have similar temperaments.

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

I like how Self just let this one go.

Self is good at realizing what motivates kids. I read somewhere that though he doesnt coach the alley oop a lot in practice, he recognizes the play as a game-changer and therefore welcomes it.

Theres a certain psychology to the game of basketball that he understands. Motivated kids play harder. The dunk motivates kids. Sometimes arguments do as well.

justanotherfan 6 years, 11 months ago

Self let it go because nobody did anything stupid that could get them suspended. They used that altercation to refocus their energy on putting the opposition away. That is exactly what should happen in that situation.

ku98 6 years, 11 months ago

I was cracking up when the BC guys were surrounding Sherron and yapping at him... Dudes, you messin' with the wrong guy here. I live in Chicago and I drove by the projects on Diversey and Leavitt where he grew up.
Trust me, Sherron has seen a lot tougher things than a handful of crybabies from the ACC.
Great job, guys! Rock Chalk!

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

justanotherfan...

so basically youre just RESTATING what I said...

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

ku98...

but see thats the difference. you and jaybate can disagree on a reasonable topic. theres a BASIS for your disagreement. same with you and me, and jaybate and me for that matter.

with APD...hes just a loser running about seeing what trouble he can stir up. for my part, I just laugh at him.

okjhok 6 years, 11 months ago

jaybate, What does playing Loyola (MD) have to do with Sherron and Chicago? Either you're confusing it with Loyola (Chicago) or I'm missing something.

APDJayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

Leave JRoss alone...he's old and probably can't remember his original post. If only he would forget his password, along with Jaybate, so we aren't subjected to his droll opinions any longer.

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

APDnickafizzou to the RESCUE...of jross1972?

Even in jest this is like sending that British comedian Bean to rescue Muhammed Ali at the height of his boxing powers.

No wait!

Its like sending the cowardly lion before he got his courage to rescue George Patton.

No wait!

its like sending the Swiss Army to rescie the USMC.

No wait!

its like sending the Fizzouri Tigers to rescue KU in the Orange Bowl!

APDnickafizzou, you may find me droll, but you leave me LOTFLMAO...at you!

jross and me, we shout WOOT whenever you show up.

Look it up in the urban dictionary. See definition number 5.

ku98 6 years, 11 months ago

APD is a KU hater, we all know that, but he does have a point, Jaybate, you do tend to ramble on... I like to read everyone's comments, but I have to admit that I sometimes skip yours, Jaybate, because they are always so darn long, and I don't have all day. You often make good points, but they just as often get lost in the middle of that "stuff" you write. No offense, dude, just my opinion.

jaybate 6 years, 11 months ago

ku98,

I'm just playing with the limits of the medium to see what it can take. I can write long in about the same amount of time it takes most persons to write short. I think and write fast. In my work I've always had to be succinct and analytical. On the board, I get to be long and I find it liberating. I'm sorry it doesn't work for a lot of folks, but the board is free and this is how I choose to recreate on it. I figure it doesn't harm anyone to skip my posts.

For what its worth, i don't expect everyone to read all of my posts either. I don't read all of everyone else's either.

But I l do love hoops and want to learn more about it till the day I die, which regrettably doesn't seem nearly as remote a prospect as it used to be.

I write a lot of my posts to point out something I think is important, or to explain something that I think is important about a given team in a given game, or to say what the heck is going on here!! I am trying to understand our team. Writing helps me understand. I hope one or two people are engaged enough to write back something about hoops I don't already know. it keeps happening occassionally, so I keep doing it.

Now, since you wish me to be more brief, and since you seem like a straight shooter, I've written a short post just for you below.

Now its on to Loyola, to Sherron getting to ball for his friends, and to the recruitment of more Chicago players.

Go KU!

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

APD

dont try to come off as the "good guy". everyone here knows what youre about. you say you get flack for your negativity; problem is, you never have anything fair and balanced to say. that qualifies you as a hater. you have never once shown love for these hawks, and even if you could demonstrate that to be true, what remains is that you are far more critical than you ought to be. by reading your posts, a casual observer could conclude by the sheer imbalance that you are a KU hater. am I biased against you? is it just me?

EVERYONE sees it, so dont play this off as a personal vendetta. You are a KU hater until proven otherwise...