Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Ryan Wood’s KU football notebook

McClinton works out

Former Kansas University defensive tackle James McClinton worked out Monday in Indianapolis at the NFL Combine, along with about 50 other defensive linemen.

McClinton didn't place in the top 10 in any of the tests posted by NFL.com on Monday. His unofficial 40-yard dash time, according to the NFL Network, was an unimpressive 5.49 seconds.

Like other KU products, McClinton will get a chance at redemption on March 11 when Kansas holds its Pro Day.

Up next

The final day of the NFL Combine workouts will feature former KU All-America cornerback Aqib Talib, who will work out with the defensive backs.

According to most draft analysts, Talib has a legitimate shot at being a top-10 pick in April's draft, especially if he tests well today at the RCA Dome.

Television coverage starts at 10 a.m. on the NFL Network (Sunflower Broadband channel 154).

More ESPN coverage

The Big 12 Conference will continue to get exposure on cable giant ESPN.

The league announced Monday that ESPN and ESPN2 will broadcast select Big 12 games on Thursdays and Saturdays the next two seasons.

Two 2008 games already have been decided: West Virginia at Colorado on Sept. 18, and Texas A&M; at Texas on Nov. 27. Both games are Thursday night telecasts, with the Texas-Texas A&M; game being played on Thanksgiving.

Other games will be announced closer to time. Kansas was on ESPN or ESPN2 twice last season, in victories at Colorado and Texas A&M.;

Comments

okjhok 12 years, 1 month ago

5.49....ouch. For a guy that was going to have to rely on quickness due to his smaller stature, that's a bad time. I know the 40 doesn't necessarily translate into effectiveness for a DT, and I'm sure the scouts will take that into account, but that's a bad time. That, on top of his health concerns, leads me to believe McClinton's not getting drafted. Hope I'm wrong.

rolo2383 12 years, 1 month ago

He has a very fast first step, which is good for a defensive lineman who needs to be quick when the ball is snapped, so I'm not so sure a slow 40 time affects the type of play he needs to make. He still might not get drafted though but I do think he has an good chance at making someone's team.

KUAlum2000 12 years, 1 month ago

I watched part of the coverage on NFL network. McClinton just looked out of his league. I hadn't seen him out of pads, but he looked pretty out of shape too; kind of a Phil Mickelson and John Daly combo if you get my drift. Chris Long looked real good...

KU 12 years, 1 month ago

okjhok......The 40 time is a really bad indicator of "quickness" for a defensive lineman. It should be totally irrelevant. How may times in a football game does a defensive lineman run 40 yards?

The thing they should gauge is "explosiveness". How quickly can a player react to movement and get the 5 yards from Point A to Point B laterally and straight ahead. McClinton is explosive.

sevenyearhawk 12 years, 1 month ago

sadly, I won't be renewing our season tickets this season, for the first time in four years ...

Not because of the increase, but now I'm in grad school, and the kids are getting older and we'll be doing more with them.

I will, however, be at the home opener, flying to Tampa with my family for the USF game and attending the Border War - this will be my fifth consecutive Mizzou game!

okjhok 12 years, 1 month ago

That's why I wrote this..."I know the 40 doesn't necessarily translate into effectiveness for a DT, and I'm sure the scouts will take that into account..." Also, they do test explosiveness with different drills, and as the article states, "McClinton didn't place in the top 10 in any of the tests..." Don't try and make me sound like I'm anti-McClinton. I loved watching him play. He played hard. IMO, I just don't think he's NFL material. Not many are.

KU 12 years, 1 month ago

Maybe McClinton won't get drafted, but you can't measure his heart.

number1jayhawker 12 years, 1 month ago

44 days?

Uh, Thursday April 10th is significant because??

William James 12 years, 1 month ago

I think Ive gone way over someones head. Dont worry about it guy. I was referring to April 12, I believe that to be the day of the spring game. If you dont know about it, dont feel bad. Judging from past years attendance numbers you wouldnt be the only one. With 29 days this month, I guess it would be 45 days. Damn! Last year they gave away free t-shirts and other things. The weather is usually really good too. Its a great way to get jump started on your summer tan.

lance1jhawk 12 years, 1 month ago

April 12th can't get here soon enough!! I just sent my check in for the season tickets, ouch, but totally worth it! Driving six hundred miles to see the Hawks was worth the drive and always will be! Hopefully more and more people will fill the stadium this year! All ALUMNI needs to return for a game at least once or twice a season.

12 years, 1 month ago

Could not agree with you more, lance. This will be my 16th year as a season ticket holder, 9th while living in Texas. I try making it back for at least half of the home games. It is well worth the 500-mile drive each way.

lance1jhawk 12 years, 1 month ago

We need more fans like you txrockchalk- I grew up a junior jayhawk sitting in the empty bowl area and watching alot and I mean alot of awful games. That was thirty years ago though, and I still can't belive how far this program has turned it around. I am so proud and always have been of The Jayhawks and my University. Rock Chalk April 12th

12 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, lance. Wow, that was a while back! I remember game days like that in the late 80's and early 90's. It truly is amazing how much our program has turned around. Jayhawk Nation is fortunate to have you as a fan as well.

Jim Pendleton 12 years, 1 month ago

The Spring Game is always a great time. However, the schedulers of KU events need to work together, as the Alumni Association scheduled the Rock Chalk Ball for the same day. Didn't know when the Spring Game was when I sent in my reservation for the other. Maybe the game will be early in the afternoon. Guess I may have to come to the Spring Game in my tux.

Did anyone else notice the recent schedule change for the Texas-Texas A&M game to Thanksgiving night? Had been on Friday in recent years. There has been some talk that the KU-MU Arrowhead game might get moved to Friday, but needed one of the other Big 12 games to move to Thanksgiving Day. Now that the Horns-Aggies game has been moved, I am looking for our game to get moved to Friday, and hopefully during the day. Will make for a great weekend!

rolo2383 12 years, 1 month ago

I've been a season ticket holder since 96 and haven't missed a spring game since then either. I can't wait for the spring game this year.

I might end up relocating to Southern California this summer so I won't be able to attend all of the home games. I'm holding off on ordering my tickets this year in case I do move. sigh

FlaHawk 12 years, 1 month ago

McClinton will be a free agent. He does not have a resume to get drafted. KU defensive players have always proved to be draft day busts in recent years.

Remember Reid, Gordon, etc.

Lance Hobson 12 years, 1 month ago

He ran a little slow, the average lineman time is 5.1-5.2 range. He's solid, though.