Sunday, February 10, 2008

100 the hard way

Trey-less Jayhawks trip Bears

Kansas' Mario Chalmers and Baylor's Henry Dugat race for possession of the ball on Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Jayhawks take down Bears

The KU men's basketball team handled the scrappy Baylor Bears on Saturday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

Audio clips

2007-08 Feb. 9 KU-Baylor Hoops

Go figure

Three-pointers made by the Jayhawks (in nine attempts)

Consecutive games back KU had hit at least one trey (dating to 2000)

Three-pointers made by the Bears

Points by which KU outscored Baylor from the free-throw line

39.4

KU's first-half field-goal percentage

63.3

KU's second-half field-goal percentage

Field-goal attempts by both teams combined

Field goals by each team (KU was 32-for-63, Baylor 32-for-72)

If Darrell Arthur had not seen it with his own eyes, there's no way he'd have believed it.

Somehow, Kansas University's fast-breaking basketball team scored 100 points against Baylor on Saturday night without hitting a single three-pointer.

"It's very surprising. It's like playing in the old days without the three-point line," Arthur said after blitzing the Bears for 23 points off 8-of-14 shooting in the Jayhawks' 100-90 victory at Allen Fieldhouse.

For the record, the Jayhawks - who scored 64 points the second half in busting open a 36-33 game - hit 32 of 63 shots, misfiring on nine three-point attempts. Baylor made 12 threes in 29 attempts.

"It's probably happened before," KU coach Bill Self said, "but not often."

Yes, coach, it has happened before.

KU three times in school history has scored 100 points without a three-point make. Last time was an 100-67 victory over Howard in the first round of the 1992 NCAA Tournament. KU missed six treys in Dayton, Ohio.

The only other time was the first year of the three-point shot. KU didn't attempt a three in an 110-70 victory over Rider on Dec. 12, 1987, at Allen, the year KU won the national title.

"We got what we wanted. They got what they wanted, but we got the win," 6-foot-9 sophomore Arthur said after the Jayhawks' first game without a three-point basket since an 68-54 loss to Texas on Feb. 28, 2000, in Austin, when KU was 0-for-8.

"It was an up-and-down game, fast-paced. Those guards can really play, on both sides. It was a fun game," Arthur added.

BU's Curtis Jerrells scored 30 points off 11-of-21 shooting. He hit four of eight threes, including one way off balance and another to bust an early 20-20 deadlock.

LaceDarius Dunn scored 23 points. He made five of 10 threes.

And Henry Dugat cashed 15 points off 6-of-13 shooting, canning just one of three threes.

Aaron Bruce was limited to seven points in 18 minutes.

As far as KU's guards, Russell Robinson scored a season-high 22 points. He made 14 of 15 free throws. And Sherron Collins hit for 17 points, including 13 the final half.

Collins had four points and an assist in perhaps the key stretch of the game, a 6-0 spurt that turned a 61-56 lead into double digits at 67-56 with 7:55 to play.

BU did cut it to eight points at 69-61, but was immediately rebuffed by guard Mario Chalmers, who hit a bank shot, and Arthur, who hit a deep jumper to extend the lead back to 12 at 6:21. KU held its double-digit lead until Dunn's two free throws cut it to eight at :52, much too late for Baylor to pull off the upset.

"They are good," Self said of Baylor. "Not only are they fast, but they made shots (44.4 percent to KU's 50.8). I think in the last three minutes, they scored 20 points. Obviously, we have some concerns defensively with our guards, and they certainly have a talented group."

Offensively, Self noted, the Jayhawk guards were "terrific."

"Russell had a terrific game, and he's tired. He had to chase Jerrells around the whole night," Self said. "Sherron was Sherron. He changed the game in the second half. When Sherron puts his head down, he is running downhill. He's pretty fast and got some easy baskets. We shot 62 percent the second half and 26-of-32 from the line. That is pretty efficient offense."

As far as individual stars, it might be hard to beat Arthur, who had 16 points the second half off 5-of-6 shooting and 6-of-7 free-throwing. He had six rebounds the second half and 10 for the game.

The Dallas native admittedly was fired up playing Baylor, a school that at one point thought it had landed him in recruiting. Arthur chose KU over BU and LSU after having a dream.

"Probably, they probably do," Arthur said with a grin, asked if his BU buddies, including high school teammate Kevin Rogers, now consider him a "nightmare."

"There was a lot of talking back and forth. Kevin and I (who guarded each other) didn't talk much. I talked with Curtis and Henry. It was really a lot of fun."

Arthur made sure he didn't get too enthused for the game versus BU.

"I was excited about the game, but tried to stay level-headed. Russell and some other guys tell me to not get too keyed up," Arthur said. "I have to take it like any other game."

Now he'll be headed to his home state for Monday's 8 p.m. clash against Texas, a team he followed as a youth.

"I'm more of a Texas football fan," he said with a grin. "But they're really good (in basketball), too."

KU improved to 23-1 overall and 8-1 in the league. Baylor is 17-5, 5-3. Texas, an overtime winner over Iowa State, is 19-4, 6-2.

Comments

freak2304 6 years, 2 months ago

Free-throw shooting is a totally different beast than any other type of shooting. Free-throw shooting is 99% mechanics and mental. I said, I agree that practice will help improve your shot, but natural talent is the base of all things shooting. You can be talented w/ little practice and be FAR better than untalented w/ tons of practice....just ask Allen Iverson! :-) PRACTICE? WE TALKIN' ABOUT PRACTICE...NOT A GAME...PRACTICE, ETC. Anyways...GO HAWKS!!!

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 2 months ago

tailg8prty, I would support your comments. While there are talents out there like Durant, etc.. you could still ask "how old were they when they started practicing"? Also speaking as someone who plays 2guard/combo guard for years and years, I can say there are sooo many types of threes: spot-up 3, create-your-own 3 (off the dribble, if you are so bold & that good), fadeaway 3, jumper 3, fade-sideways 3, etc...All of them are daggers, all are fun; but of course there are days when nothing is falling! My time-tested approach is to think about my mechanics and form very diligently until I find the range, then can shoot without thinking about it so much. Same with FTs. Form and mechanics and repetition, repetition, repetition. And I also have tried, bluntly, to outright imitate my bball heroes and repeat THAT over and over, as every kid does: defensive stance, crossovers, pullup Js, etc... Who do we think Kobe imitated as a young teen?? Same with playing guitar, etc...

tailg8prty 6 years, 2 months ago

I have definitely played the game and practice is what makes a great shooter. You aren't born with the ability to shoot. Practice and coaching give you that ability.

There are "great shooters" everywhere. I see kids draining shots from all over the place. The mid-majors are loaded with guys who can shoot but they weren't blessed with the gifts that our guys were blessed with.

You obviously have to have some talent to shoot but its not what makes the shot. If so, explain to me why KU is shooting so much better from the free throw line when they were horrible the past couple years. Have they found their free throw shooting talent or have they just committed themselves to focusing on those shots a bit more.

freak2304 6 years, 2 months ago

tailg8prty,

I dunno if you've ever actually played competitive basketball before, but if you have then you'd know that your comment about shooting being about practice and not talent is ridiculous. Sure, practice makes a good shooter even better, but it's mostly talent that makes a good shooter. Otherwise, there would be great shooters everywhere just because they practice alot. You can practice all day, every day and still not be good. Also, there's obviously a difference between a "practice shooter" and a "game-time shooter" (ala Jeremy Case...i know, cheap shot)

didjabuti 6 years, 2 months ago

Jhawkerman, I have to say, the only time I want Tivo is during basketball season. I'll have to break down soon. However without the assistance of it, I have to say that it seems like we don't box out. Even when we get rebounds they're either given to us or one person is going up and getting them in traffic.

tailg8prty 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm not saying throw Teahan in the game for the sole purpose to launch 3's and loosen a defense. I'm just saying if a walk-on can come off the bench cold and light it up from the 3 point arc then one of the McD's guys should be hot on any given night. Thats all. Shooting isn't about talent. Its about practice. Just like free throws and I'm glad to see that problem is fixed. Way to go guys from the stripe.

One more thing. What in the world is Chalmers eating? Is it me or is he playing way above the rim this year? I can't believe how high he is getting on some of his dunks.

KGphoto 6 years, 2 months ago

I love watching Collins get his legs back. If he stays healthy? Faughgettaboutit!

And, as much as I hate to say it, I think Aldrich needs bump Kaun down the line. I love Kaun's toughness and effort, but Aldrich is by far our best rebounder. He's old school, man. Born to do it.

Bleed_Crimson_Blue 6 years, 2 months ago

It seems petty to say this with a 22-1 (8-1) record, but I am kinda worried for the rest of the year. We just aren't playing well

freak2304 6 years, 2 months ago

I, actually, was quite happy with the way the game went last night. We needed a game against a quality opponent that gave us all we could handle for 40 minutes. As far as our defense goes...I'm mostly concerned about our guards still allowing too much penetration. Our defensing of the 3-ball was pretty good last night, in my opinion. Baylor hit MANY treys with one of our guys right in their face. There's not much else you can do about that. The slow rebounding start worried me, but then we picked it up after they started missing a few shots. All in all, I thought it was a good game for the Hawks and I hope they're well rested and ready to play on Monday. Augustin and Abrams vs Robinson and Chalmers is going to be HUGE. RCJ, GKU!

Greg Lux 6 years, 2 months ago

You will not find my posts negative but they will be tilted toward our need for improvement areas. The nice thing about tivo is the ability to review the play in slow motion later. Kaun needs to use his size and bulk to block out the other teams big guys. He doesn't need to get the rebound just clearing the area will suffice to allow other team member to get to the ball. Kaun seems to allow himself to be pushed under the basket too much. The key to being a good rebounder is sealing off the opponent so they can't get to the ball. As far as three point production it's called balance and it opens up the middle for Shady, Jackson and Rush to operate. I am just interested in Chalmers lack of attempts since he has shown himself to be an awesome outside producer. Kansas has a GREAT team and there potential is awesome, but if we don't do a better job on the basics we are going to run into a team with a hot hand and be watching TV on Monday night again instead of playing the game.

Lebowski 6 years, 2 months ago

LOL... thanks. Yeah, I usually restrict my posting to work hours only, but haven't been able to.. so here I am at home today.

Then sometimes, I just prefer to ignore all the negativity. It's a sign of the times, if someone's spouse isn't perfect, they can always just get a divorce! I think of a lot of KU fans that post on here are just like that.. they have a wonderful team to root for that everyone else is jealous of, but they just can't get over the minor "faults" enough to enjoy the good things.

Larry Smith 6 years, 2 months ago

what I don't understand is the huge concern with the lack of 3's in one game. If your bigs are outscoring theirs 41-11, what is the need for putting up 3's just for the heck of it. I could understand if you needed to open up the inside, but we did whatever we wanted inside. That being the case, if you arent making them, why shoot them.

Joe Ross 6 years, 2 months ago

jayhawkman...

Yes, Self is smarter than all of us...and I happen to agree that Teahan, 3 point prowess notwithstanding, is a liability on the court right now considering his defensive handicaps.

But there is a reason why we're all posters on a blog.

Right or wrong, this board EXISTS for the express purpose of allowing fans to share their opinions. I agree with all of your first paragraph, but I disagree with the sentiment of your last line.

JBurtin 6 years, 2 months ago

When you say that Baylor scored ninety points you have to figure in the fact that the game was essentially over by the time they scored 20 of them.

When you're up by 15 late in the game you simply want to avoid fouling and hold the ball for as long as possible before they foul you. The only reason the points went so high for both teams is that they simply didn't know when to pack it in. They were down 8 with 8 seconds left and still fouled. Playing like that is going to rack up a ton of points for both teams.

I was disturbed by the fact that not one guy made a 3 ball all night long, but to score 100 without making a trey is incredibly impressive. I think our guys tried the 3 ball early, and when it didin't work, they went to their bread and butter. The place where we had the biggest advantage was inside. It ended up working so well (scoring points, drawing fouls, second chance opportunities) that our guys did the right thing by not fixing something that wasn't broken.

Don't get me wrong, I do think we'll need some consistency from 3 to win in the tournament, but Baylor shot pretty well from 3, and I think it's a positive sign that we can take on a good team with hot shooters and beat them even when our 3's aren't on target.

jayhawkman 6 years, 2 months ago

Would all of the posters who are talking about putting Teahan in to shoot 3's buy a clue please? I wonder why he doesn't get into the game when he has several McDonald's All Americans playing in front of him - 3 of which shoot a tremendously high percentage from outside (Rush, Chalmers, Collins), and who arguably make up the best defensive back court in the country. How is it possible that Self doesn't put in Teahan - an underclassmen half as athletic as the starters that can't play defense.

There is a reason that Bill Self is the head coach of the Jayhawks and you guys are anonymous posters on a blog.

Joe Ross 6 years, 2 months ago

Lebowski...

Good to see you again. Is it just me or have you entered witness protection?

Lebowski 6 years, 2 months ago

Here's why I like our big man situation.

The Missouri game, we had 3 different bigs in foul trouble. Most teams have one sold big man, he's in foul trouble, they're going to have problems. But against mizzou, Jackson stayed on the floor 28 minutes despite a suppar offensive game, he managed 9 boards and a couple blocked shots.

Everyone else? Arthur, Kaun and Aldrich only managed to be on the floor 14, 13, and 12 minutes respectively as they picked up 10 fouls between the 3 of them. How many teams have the depth to spread 10 fouls at what is essentially ONE position on the floor?

Anyway, how productive were Arthur, Kaun and Aldrich in 39 combined minutes?

10/20 FG, 31 points, 19 rebounds, 2 blocks and 11-12 free throw shooting

I'll take that any day, especially on the boards and at the line. Now some of the guys had setbacks against Baylor, but out of 4 guys, you're going to have someone pick up the slack like Arthur did with 23 & 10.

beebe1 6 years, 2 months ago

Glad to see that some others are bothered. My MU complaint was two. Solved the FT problem pretty well. The other was the absence of a sharpshooter at the 3 pt line e.g. Teahan. They didn't use him again last night. They could have at least put him in till he hit a 3; then the others would be OK for the 3 as well. It bothers me we don't use the talent we have. Aldrich didn't get enough floor time, either.

kushaw 6 years, 2 months ago

I am at least somewhat glad that Bill Self is recognizing this defensive weakness or at least I hope he does. I am more concerned about our defensive pressure. This token full court man to man is driving me nuts. It does nothing to the opponents guards. Everyone talks about how good our defensive pressure is. What defensive pressure? Opposing guards have at least 3 to 4 feet between them and the defender. It looks like to me we are only shadowing the defender which is driving me crazy. It doesn't dictate tempo. We have probably the most athletic team we have ever had and as a couple of other posters have said we play to the opponents level. I don't think it's us playing to there level, it's us allowing them to dictate and control tempo, which is exactly what Baylor did in the first and the start of the second half. I've seen a lot of Duke games this year, and I hate to admit it, but they're good. Duke's defensive pressure is relentless for 40 minutes for 94 feet. KU's defensive is relentless just beyond the 3 point line for 40 minutes. There is a big difference between the two and the token full court man to man isn't going to cut it.

tailg8prty 6 years, 2 months ago

Way to pull off a gutsy hard fought win guys. Baylor can play and congrats to coach Drew on the team he has created.

Something is bothering me about this team and I cant quite put my finger on it. I love watching and pulling for the Hawks. It bothers me that when we shoot 3's there is usually only one guy around the basket to rebound. I don't see the other guards crashing the boards. 0-9 3 point shooting isn't all that bad when you split it up over 4 players but come on. We have to have somebody who can be a consistent threat from outside. 1 of the 4 guards should be able to be hot on any given night and if not throw Teahan in there. Shooting is so basic and practice definitely pays off. Its something anyone can do whenever they want. You don't need a teammate to help.

I know I'm nitpicking but its better to say it now then to say it in March and say we didn't see this coming. Go KU!

Greg Lux 6 years, 2 months ago

Two things that can beat a great team are predictability and going away from your strengths. KU is leaning toward both lately. Everyone knows we are going to spend the first 5 minutes of the game trying to get the ball inside and get Shady,Jackson and Rush involved early for some close shots. Certainly a good strategy. But as we saw last night teams are starting to pack it in early on us because they know it also. The other thing I am confused about it Chalmers .. One of our deadliest 3 point shooters.. Zero attempts last night and One attempt against CO. Why has he stopped taking his shot? He had plenty of open looks last night and never pulled the trigger. We need his great offense alone with his consistent defense if we are going to really be the team we can be in 2008

KGphoto 6 years, 2 months ago

No free throws, no win. Nice to see them get to the line though.

The boys play their best when they make defense the priority. Then the offense creates itself.

When defense is their priority, they are so dangerous. Offensive minded? Vulnerable.

dbenton6 6 years, 2 months ago

I have noticed two things with the Jayhawks and it has always made me neurvous, until you look at the big picture. KU will come out and kind of play to to level of their opponent. Weather they run or play half court. It looked like KU was trying to figure out which style they would have to play in the first 10 minutes or so. In the second half, they looked like they figured out that their offence wound be able to out perform their offence and not their defense. Fantastic win, but we still gave up 90 points which is alittle concern. This game really was a blow out, but not by the score. If (only if) the Hawks hit just 4 of their 3 pointers, it could have added at least 15 to 18 more points to the final. I understand the 4 X 3 is only 12, but the bears got some fast break points off of our 3 point misses. The Hawks seemed to play like they knew the game would be theirs so they let their offence take over. Is this something anyone else noticed?

Alan Braun 6 years, 2 months ago

I LOVE the improvement in FT shooting. The TV commentators last night mentioned it several times & it's been a key to several of our recent victories. Fortunately after UT there's a relative gap in the schedule (5 days until CU and a full week after that until OSU), so they'll have a little time to rest & get their game legs back before the last big push.

1977kufan 6 years, 2 months ago

Super summary of the game and some very key factors, Gary. Outstanding victory for the Jayhawks, and not to belittle the win, but Monday's game is key. I know some of the guys (especially Russell) will be tired. We need to win against the shorthorns on the road. This gives everyone an opportunity to see how we will play that alternate/second game night in the upcoming Dance. Great work everyone and keep up the charity stripe shooting, outstanding. I know that everyone will bring their A game Monday. ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWKS!!!

Robert Rauktis 6 years, 2 months ago

Coach of the year (easily): Homer Drew's kid.

Resuscitated a corpse.

Ben Kane 6 years, 2 months ago

Glad to see Arthur and Collins finally have a good night. I hope they keep it rolling on Monday.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 2 months ago

Gotta love the FT improvements in '08. This would have been a big L without the extr effort the guys made over smester break. Congrats! It is great to see.

Rock Chalk!