Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gary Bedore’s KU basketball notebook

Little practicing

KU junior Mario Little, who suffered a broken bone in his left, non-shooting hand two weeks ago, practiced without contact Monday.

KU coach Bill Self is hoping Little can play in a game “in about seven days,” which means he might make his KU debut next Tuesday versus Siena.

“We are being patient in not bringing him back too quick. If it was the end of the season there’s no reason he would not be out there (now),” Self said. “It’s not the end of a season deal. The whole thing is to bring him out so he can play the rest of the season. He’s in that another week range from being able to play in a game.”

Of Little’s stress fracture in his left leg, Self said: “His leg is making progress, no doubt about it.”

Little wasn’t the only player wearing a wrap on his hand at practice Monday. Sherron Collins practiced with a jammed left thumb, while Marcus Morris had his right thumb wrapped.

“I jammed my thumb pretty good. It’s OK. I doubt I’ll even wear it (wrap) in the game,” Collins said.

“It (hand) may be bruised, but he’s OK,” Self said of Morris.

Bowl preview

KU sophomore center Cole Aldrich on Wednesday’s KU-Minnesota football game.

“I am all KU,” said Aldrich, who hails from Bloomington, Minn. “I’ve got some buddies playing for Minnesota. I’m rooting for the Jayhawks so I get a little bragging rights over the summer. We’ll meet as a team somewhere and watch our Jayhawks go.”

Withey report

Jeff Withey, a 7-foot transfer from the University of Arizona, is not yet on campus. He still has to complete some paperwork before arriving. He can practice, but not play in games until December, 2009.

Bowling outing

Albany’s basketball players went bowling on Monday afternoon at Royal Crest Lanes.

“I do think it’s good to do fun things,” KU coach Self said on Monday’s weekly Hawk Talk radio show. “I think that’s a good idea of Will (Brown, eighth-year head coach). He’s won multiple championships there. He’s done well.”

Brown, 37, is one of the country’s youngest head coaches. He’s led Albany to two of the past three NCAA Tournaments.

Notes

Located in Albany, N.Y., the University at Albany has an enrollment of 12,748. Nickname is Great Danes. Colors are Purple and Gold. The school plays in the America East Conference. ... Albany was picked sixth in the conference preseason coaches poll. ... Albany today plays a defending Div. I national champ for the first time. ... Albany has won three straight games. The Great Danes won at St. Francis, 68-56, on Dec. 22. ... The Great Danes are ranked 17th nationally in rebounding margin at plus-8.4 per game ... The two schools have yet to meet in basketball. ... Albany lost to Iowa State, 76-64, last Dec. 30 in Ames, Iowa. ... The National Football League's New York Giants have made the University at Albany its summer training camp home since 1996.

Comments

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

“His leg is making progress, no doubt about it.”--Self, 12-29-08His leg is making progress?What in heaven's handle was he doing playing before the hand fracture, if his leg is still making progress on December 29th?Leg bones with stress fractures are supposed to heal before being played on.It is starting to sound like Little had a much more serious fracture in his leg than anyone let on.Gary, maybe now would be a good time to give the radiologist reading and interpreting Little's x-rays a call and ask what is going on?

ChicagoJHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Good point Jaybate! I have no idea what to make of Little's situation...

Nick15J 10 years, 9 months ago

If Little's leg isnt healed by now he should be redshirted. Why use up a year of eligibility on a season with very little meaning. Next year and the year after we can make a serious run at another title.

kerbyd 10 years, 9 months ago

Dave Johnson competed in the '92 Olympics with a stress fracture. (Got a bronze). I think you guys need to leave it to the professionals as far as interpreting results. X rays usually don't show much as far as stress fractures. An MRI is more accurate.

Blake Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

We really do not know how much Little can contribute and how long it will take him to acclimate to our offense and defensive sets. For him to not be coinsidered for a redshirt status, he is either really good and can make an immediate impact or the current front court players are that bad or a combination of both. For sure, we need more offense and more rebounding on both ends of the floor as well as more energy..

Jim Jackson 10 years, 9 months ago

Nick15j, I have to disagree with that. With Self bringing in Wall or Stephenson, we should not redshirt Little. Self will bring in players ranked in the top 50 nationally here every year. We don't need Little an extra year, though I am sure he will be a solid player for us. Let's see how far we can go this year. Thoughts anyone?

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

I completely agree, MILF, and in fact I'm getting a little tired of all these "This year is meaningless, so let's set up for next year" comments. I'm surprised that so-called KU fans would consider ANY KU season meaningless. I care about winning every game possible, and I care about doing well in the playoffs. Over 90% of the time KU is not going to win a championship. Does that mean that none of those seasons count?Thank you for being the voice of reason, MILF.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 9 months ago

Professionals blow it all the time in the medical field. The team needs to use some common sense and not play the guy if the leg is bothering him. Stress fractures only go away with rest.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 9 months ago

actorman (anonymous) says...I completely agree, MILF, and in fact I'm getting a little tired of all these "This year is meaningless, so let's set up for next year" comments. I'm surprised that so-called KU fans would consider ANY KU season meaningless. I care about winning every game possible, and I care about doing well in the playoffs. Over 90% of the time KU is not going to win a championship. Does that mean that none of those seasons count?Playoffs? This is college basketball..................................We have tournaments.............http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BY...

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

You're right, cap; the NCAA tournament has NEVER been called the playoffs.I think people understood what I meant. (Then again, I suppose it's only fair to call me on it, since I'm usually the one nitpicking on others' comments. Touche.)

Carter Patterson 10 years, 9 months ago

Nick15J....we have not yet started conference play. The first third of any season is like exhibition football. We have ALOT of basketball to play. Remember how we looked when Brandon, Julian and Mario were freshmen? I believe we won the conference that year. Despite our youth, with Coach Self, I will always like our chances. If Little is ready, then put a uniform on him and get him out there.

JayDocMD 10 years, 9 months ago

I know this is off subject, but can anyone tell me whats going on with Tyrone Appleton - haven't heard a thing about him this year.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 9 months ago

Appleton is just far down the depth chart.Had we not gotten lucky and signed Taylor,TA would most likely be playing more,but once we signed Taylor those minutes arent there at pointguard and he doesnt shoot well enough to play the 2 or 3.