Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Four-star fullback commits to KU

Toben Opurum, a four-star fullback out of Plano (Texas) East High, became the Kansas University football team's 18th known commitment in the Class of 2009 Tuesday, according to Rivals.com.

Opurum, who rushed for 873 yards and eight touchdowns on 107 carries (an 8.2 yards-per-carry average) this season, also received offers from Florida, Texas Tech, Notre Dame and Nebraska. Following a visit last weekend to Lawrence, however, the 6-foot-2, 229-pound Opurum informed KU wide receivers coach David Beaty he had decided Kansas was the right fit and would be foregoing his remaining visits.

“The visit went great,” Opurum told the Web site. “The thing that stood out was how well I meshed with all of the players and coaches. I knew after the visit there was no need to take others. I saw what I needed and knew I could make decision off that.”

Rated the No. 3 fullback in the nation and the No. 45 player in the state of Texas by rivals, Opurum is the second four-star prospect to commit to Kansas, joining defensive back and fellow Texas native Prinz Kande.

Comments

DallasHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Welcome to KU Toben. I think your're a great fit as well. Sounds a bit like Mr. McAnderson!!! A little Thunder and Lighting!

KU 11 years, 2 months ago

Wow, the #3 fullback in the nation? Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, but where is the kid gonna play in KU's spread scheme? We rarely run 2 backs and when we do, they are usually split, as in 2 halfbacks.Think they have plans to move the kid to linebacker or do you think he can be a Brandon McAnderson-type runner/blocker?Hopefully, he can fill the BMac type of role. We really missed the blocking and sure-fire 3 yards+ on every running play.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 2 months ago

Agreed Dallas. Sounds a lot like BMac already. My guess is he's confident, like Briscoe, that he can make an immediate impact.KU - While the #3 is great, the #45 in the state of TX is probably the more significant #. There aren't that many FB's listed in rivals. HS's don't have the quantity of quality players to use as a blocker. He may be listed as a FB, but at 6-2, 229, and 8 ypc, he sounds more like the classic big single back - ala John Riggins.

greatabu 11 years, 2 months ago

He'll be used as a RB in our system, much like BMac (only faster). He chose us over places like LSU and Notre Dame because they wanted him as a fullback and we want him as a running back. Also, he has pretty decent hands and should be a nice receiving threat out of the backfield.

zissou 11 years, 2 months ago

Great questions, KU. The last true fullback we used was Austine Nwabuisi in 2003-04. I'd expect to see this kid on special teams next year.

JBurtin 11 years, 2 months ago

I thought I'd repost this from the other Opurum story for anybody that doesn't know much about him. I'm not the world's leading expert on him, but I know what kind of player he is and what he can do for us.I've been following this kid for years and I can't believe that we actually landed him.For starters, he's only listed as a fullback because he is big enough to be one. He was not used like a fullback in high school, so he'll be right at home as the featured back.He is big enough that he is great for giving the quarterback extra protection, and can pound forward for some tough yards. However, his biggest strength is receiving out of the backfield. He's way too big for defensive backs to bring him down, yet too fast for a linebacker to cover him, so if you can get the ball to him in the second level he drags defenders for five or six extra yards before help comes to get him to the ground.He's part fullback because he can block, part halfback because he can run, part tight end because he makes a matchup nightmare, and part wide receiver because he has great hands. In other words, he's the type of guy that completely busts open your offensive playbook to drive other teams nuts. Not only will he have an incredible career here in our spread, but his presence on the field will make everyone else around him better.I can't tell you how happy I am to have this kid on our team. I know some of you will be skeptical that I've talked him up this much, but I want you to understand that it's not that I think this guy is a god or anything. My excitement stems from the fact that he is the absolute ideal fit for our system. The only thing I can say for skeptics is that a little healthy skepticism is always a good idea, however I fully believe that you are in for a surprising treat.

Dan Harris 11 years, 2 months ago

JBurtin- your post was spot on. I live in the DFW area and this kid is an h-back that will be perfect for our spread offense. I can,t believe that we got him but Merry Christmas Jayhawk fans everywhere!

Jim Jackson 11 years, 2 months ago

This guy sounds like the truth!! Way to go Mangina!!! Go Hawks!

KGphoto 11 years, 1 month ago

Mangina? Very classy MILFdestroyer.Do you have any pics posted here?hotchickswithdouchebags.comJust kiddin', sort of.Anyway. Did anybody else notice that the kid looks just like Carmelo Anthony? Who in turn looks exactly like LenDale White, who recently embarrassed the Chiefs in K.C. That's only 3 degrees of separation for NFL talent in our backfield. Instant winner.Plus, remember that we also landed a waterbug in Deshaun Sands so it's looking a whole lot like Mac and Sharp in 2007.

KUFan90 11 years, 1 month ago

I'm happy but until these kids are on campus I'm always worried about them withdrawing their commits. Wouldn't surprise me to see us lose him down the road. I hope I'm wrong. What a crazy system. Let them sign a letter of intent as soon as they commit to stop this BS poaching that goes on.

SweedishHamma 11 years, 1 month ago

An important thing to note is that he has had all of his success in a spread offense while in HS. He's been running a system similar to KU's already, and should help make his transition smoother initially. Now, we don't use a traditional FB, and he wasn't recruited to be a FB. What Sharp and the rest of our RB's couldn't do for most of the season was help in pass blocking. This size in our scheme should allow him to pick up blitzers. The lanes for him will be there next year as a runner as they were for McAnderson; the important thing for him will be his ability to block. If we are running 4-wide sets with a mobile and All-Big XII canidate QB, the lanes will be there simply from extending the coverage. Look for him to ease into the lineup in short yardage downs and to be more of a WCO type "H-back/Fullback" who flexes out or spills out to the flats as a very good check down option.