Saturday, December 20, 2008

Big Jay picked for nationals

Little Jay and Big Jay appear during Late Night in the Phog on Oct. 12, 2007, at Allen Fieldhouse. The Kansas University mascot will participate in a national contest in January.

Apparently it’s not just Jayhawk fans who really love Big Jay.

The Kansas University mascot has earned the right to participate in a national competition in Orlando, Fla., for the first time.

To earn a trip to the Universal Cheer and Dance competition, Jan. 16-18, the mascots had to submit a video that would be judged against other entries. The top 10 entries earn bids to nationals.

Kelsey McMahon, a Spirit Squad member and KU senior, said the team creates the videos each year, and was pleased to learn that the mascot had been selected for the first time. “Every single year, we put hours and hours and lots of sleepless nights into this video,” she said.

The squad’s coach, Cat Jarzemkoski, said the mascot would be joining the cheer and dance squads at the national competition.

She said the competition represented the Final Four for mascots, cheerleaders and dancers. It attracts participants from all over the country.

She said she was pleased that the mascot had made the competition for the first time, having come up one or two spots short in the past. “It says that we have a lot of good, hard-working kids,” Jarzemkoski said.

Comments

MrPilot 11 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations and good luck, Big Jay! Rock Chalk!

jayhawkr34 11 years, 6 months ago

i'm glad, yet suprised. Every away game i've been to someone always asks what a "jayhawk" is. i used to try to explain it. I gave up and usually make up something, kinda like the "snipe" thing.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 6 months ago

Going through an airport I put my Kansas jacket through the xray machine and the TSA attendant asked me what a Jayhawk was. I replied "a fictitious bird".The attendant replied back, "to go with your fictitious school?"I snapped back "Yea, and our fictitious National Championship..."He replied "Touche"

jayhawkr34 11 years, 6 months ago

wft? fictitious" school? another uneducated goverment employee.

kufanboy 11 years, 6 months ago

it was a joke... but kudos on the comeback!

Sean Rodger 11 years, 6 months ago

I wear KU wherever I go - and you always get the "What's a Jayhawk" or "What does Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk mean"? If you're not a KU fan - you don't understand! It's always difficult to explain to someone who doesn't get "it". Out in SC this summer we were in a bar in Charelston - wearing my Rock-Chalk hat - someone from across the bar did yell out Rock-Chalk, in ATL I had a KU fan come up to me and say that I was the first one he's seen in a week with KU on - gotta represent wherever you are!Dig the comeback about the "fictitious National Championship" - that was great!

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 11 years, 6 months ago

Easy explanation to use:The name combines two birds-the blue jay, a bird known to rob nests, and the sparrow hawk, a stealthy hunter. Before and during the Civil war the anti-slavery Kansans were called known as this for their skirmishes with pro-slavery forces from Missouri.Thus, a mascot was made.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 6 months ago

milwaukeeJAYHAWKThanks for the explanation. I read that somewhere quite awhile ago butforgot. Thanks for the reminder.