Thursday, December 18, 2008

Collins reflects on missed opportunity vs. UMass

The final shot by Kansas guard Sherron Collins is tipped by UMass forward Tony Gaffney with seconds remaining in the second half Saturday, Dec. 13, 2008 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Past Event

KU vs. Temple

• Saturday, December 20, 2008, 4:30 p.m.
  • Allen Fieldhouse, 1651 Naismith Drive, Lawrence
  • Not available

Sherron Collins can’t help but wonder what life would be like had he hit — not missed — the last shot in Saturday’s 61-60 loss to UMass.

“I think everybody’s attitude and feelings around here would be better. Coach wouldn’t be as mad at us,” said Kansas University’s junior guard, who missed a driving left-handed six-footer with six ticks left. “I’m fine with it. The shot didn’t fall. Hopefully if I’m in the situation again, I’ll do a better job with that.”

Collins would have been deemed a hero had he made the bucket. He was flu-ridden and needed an IV at halftime just to continue.

“I just threw up a couple times, had stomach issues,” he said. “I wasn’t myself. The IV gave me a little energy. I’m better now. It’s out of my system.”

Still, he was a bit run-down Wednesday. “Seven of us have the same class. We’ve been up all night studying,” Collins said of an African American Studies class. “I’m not gonna lie. I’m a little tired. Coach said that doesn’t matter. What matters is when we lace ’em up, we’ve got to be ready at all times.”

Next up for KU is Saturday’s 1:30 p.m. home game against Temple.

Comments

slantrox 13 years, 1 month ago

What is African American Studies class? Is that where students learn about the civil rights movement and the progress the country has made in terms of equality in race relations? Or is it a history of the treatment of African Americans and how they were sold by other Africans to the slave traders that came from Europe and America? What I wonder (and we didn't have that class when I was in school and feel like I may have missed out on some of my heritage without it), is if the class is taught in a positive direction of how far we have come, or a negative of how much we all suffered back in the day? Because you don't want to repeat history, but the only way to get where you are going is to look in the direction you want to go.

Brandon Deines 13 years, 1 month ago

Sherron threw up a couple of times and got an IV at halftime. Knowing that, it makes the people who have been trying to throw Sherron under the bus not so much complete morons, but more complete and total morons.

nobody1793 13 years, 1 month ago

If he was really that ill, perhaps he should have stayed at home, and allowed someone else to take those shots. Does a half-a-sherron help or hurt the team?

Mo Golany 13 years, 1 month ago

I seem to remember Mario missing a last second shot against Texas in the regular season last year and our team turned out just fine! I would go to Sherron everytime for our clutch posession shot!

truehawkfan 13 years, 1 month ago

Half a Sherron would still help this team. As much as I don't like his personality, that has nothing to do with what he can do on the court. He has the confidence this team needs right now. If he hits that shot, everyone is talking about how great he is. Since he missed it, everyone wants to see him benched. He will hit that shot after Christmas. We will be fine. We need to do a better job of getting him open to hit shots so he doesn't have to force a shot. Can't wait for Saturday!! Bring Temple on and lets get better!!!

KUPROUD 13 years, 1 month ago

Keep putting them up, Sherron. We need your aggressiveness and confidence, and each time you miss is an opportunity for our soft bigs to learn about toughness and bang for a rebound. You're part of the solution, not the problem. Thanks for giving us your all, even though you apparently left some of it on the floor in the locker room.

KANSTUCKY 13 years, 1 month ago

It would have been nice to have another big under the basket for the last posession... Freshman?

KU 13 years, 1 month ago

slantrox.....I like the way you think. I gained a new level of respect for you after reading your post.

zissou 13 years, 1 month ago

Slantrox, it could have been any of these classes:http://www2.ku.edu/~afs/courses/undergraduate.shtmlI took the AAAS 104 course a few semesters ago, and it was incredibly informative.

Christopher Johnson 13 years, 1 month ago

Collins is the reason we didn't have a chance to win that game. He lets the leader thing get to his head. He took SO MANY AWFUL shots and tried to FORCE so many plays that kept us from winning that game. Hey, Sherron, a point guard is supposed to create opportunities for his teammates to succeed, not take away and blow opportunities for plays to happen. Collins has been praised for years even though he plays out of control. I have been trying to get on his bandwagon this year, but he needs to learn to be a team player. He may be amazingly athletic and may have good basketball skill, but he has the basketball I.Q. of an idiot. Why doesn't Self coach this kid to get under control?

Kusportsshould Notrequirethis 13 years, 1 month ago

hawandtigerfan:What kind of tiger fan are you? Surely not Mizpoo

Craig Lang 13 years, 1 month ago

Sherron is the team leader, period. I see a difference in the way the team plays together when Sherron is on the floor, compared to when he is off the floor. The team is far more organized when Sherron is in the game calling the shots. If he didn't play in that game, we would have lost by 20 instead of 1. While I'm not crazy about the idea of a sick player staying in the game, I appreciate Sherron's devotion, and I personally would still prefer a Sherron playing his hardest in a so-so condition than Sherron not playing at all.

3maxima 13 years, 1 month ago

Collins just doesn't get it. He forces everything and almost refuses to pass on any 2 on 1. He is a huge ball hog that is much better coming off the bench. He takes ill-advised shots and killed us in both games we lost He blames himself for missing the shot and doesn't even realize he shouldn't even have been shooting...............

Michael Auchard 13 years, 1 month ago

fan408785:Yeah, I can't think of a good type of Tiger. The Memphis fans are a blight on society on the ESPN boards. Rude and obnoxious. Also, they actually think Calipari the car salesman is going to stay at their school after he gets a real job offer. He's playing them! LSU fans are barely better. They're not so bad in bball, due to the complete vacuum of talent in the post-Shaq era, but they think their overrated football team is God's gift to man. Annoying.

Michael Auchard 13 years, 1 month ago

BTW, I'm really sick of people on this site posting using the phrase "You just don't get it." You come off like some elderly know-it-all. If you've seen so much and the rest of us are so damn stupid, then why aren't you coaching/playing/doing anything meaningful for the world of basketball. You're like Buddha on the mountaintop over here, right?

Greg Lux 13 years, 1 month ago

Collins is a great offensive player, less of a great defensive player, but the problem is not collins its the fact that the twins have been almost ineffective in a number of games. Without there strength and offense we are playing small and practicing large ball. When we spend most of practice with one offensive mind and then play the game with a totally different set of players we are going to be out of sync. I truely believe the twins are going to be very good players for KU but at this point they seem to be lost in freshman space. Look at there eyes at times and they even look lost. Why are they shooting 3 point attempts? .. Why are they loafing down court most of the time. Because they are young and lazy. They came out of a program where they were the best players and they have not adjusted to Big Time College Ball. Right now they are spending most of there time on the bench and its hurting our team because they are taking up prime practice time with the other starters and then we are out of sync in the game without them. Connor is a great example of 100% effort all time he is on the court. They could learn a lot from him. Oh how I wish he had gone up with that rebound. He probably would have been blocked but we will never know and he could have been the STAR of the game. Even though hes a star in my book for the total effort he put out every chance he is in the game. Conner could be the Chris Piper type player of the 2008-2010 basketball team.

KGphoto 13 years, 1 month ago

There are some really trashy fans out there. Collins is the #1 player on this team. He has been asked to do the impossible, and he's trying like hell.For all those bitching about him jacking up too many shots, look closer. He has gotten the ball into other players hands plenty, and they either can't get the shot up, or they miss it. It takes time to get a team to gel. A #2 guard will surface in time. A pecking order, and a method of winning doesn't just materialize out of thin air. It needs to cook a little. Right now Sherron's on an island. Put there by circumstance and coach Self.Self knows what he's doing. Sherron knows what he's doing. Give it a rest.

actorman 13 years, 1 month ago

"If he hits that shot, everyone is talking about how great he is."Um, no, people would still be criticizing his shot selection and his inability to consistently play under control. No one questions his toughness, and of course it's admirable that he would play when he was that much under the weather. And maybe KU could have won if he was healthier because he could have made a higher percentage of his shots. But that still ignores the central problem: way too often, Collins doesn't appear to even be CONSIDERING passing the ball, much less actually passing it. It's one thing to survey the situation and determine that there's no better shot than the one you're going to take; it's another thing to jack up the ball as quickly as you can, even if you're double or triple-teamed--or not to even get a chance to shoot because of a turnover. Until Collins shows that he has consistently better judgment, I will have a lot of concern about how good this team can be.

KGphoto 13 years, 1 month ago

KUPROUD you definitely have the right idea.

actorman 13 years, 1 month ago

KG, I would believe you more if Sherron hadn't shown the same tendencies last year when he WASN'T the leader of the team. I haven't seen any change this year from the player that too often played out of control last year, when he wasn't asked to "do the impossible." He clearly has the ability to make a huge play, as he did when he stole the ball and hit the three pointer to cut the Memphis lead to 4 in the championship game. He also clearly often shows incredibly poor judgment, like when he tried to force a shot against two Memphis players with under 30 seconds left and nearly cost KU any chance of winning. If he is truly going to lead this team, he needs to do a lot more of the former and a lot less of the latter.

KGphoto 13 years, 1 month ago

actorman: 18pts, 5 assists for a 2:1 turnover ratio, on this team is pretty good. In fact there are only 5 guys in the country posting more than 7 assist/game. So I think your assessment is poop.

ajs10 13 years, 1 month ago

Sherron played his ass off for 38 minutes. So what if he had a bad night shooting? I'm looking forward to reading what you all have to say about him when he goes for 30 points and shoots lights-out.

Theutus 13 years, 1 month ago

ajs10, Sherron will never go "lights out" because of his shot selection.... THAT is the problem.I don't care if Self wants him to take a lot of shots, thats understandable. Hell I don't even care if he takes 50 shots a game.. What is unacceptable is the way he's forcing up shots he stands virtually no chance at making. Meanwhile ignoring open players on the wings etc.He plays out of control, and takes piss poor shots, and it's going to cost us a lot of games if he keeps getting away with doing it. Even the three that brought us close towards the end of the game was a terrible shot. He was a long way back from the line, and just got lucky. Before that he had cost us like 3 possessions in a minute.I don't think our season is a bust or anything like that, but i am a realist.... And I can see that Collins is out of control, doesn't pass, and forces up crap shots all the time. In crunch time when we're down, he's pretty much the LAST person I want handling the ball.

JayhawkCasey 13 years, 1 month ago

Sherron is fine, and does pass the ball. The freshman cannot make any shots. If they could he would be averaging over 7 assists a game. When the whole team is missing shots he probably feels that it is his job to fix it and make a shot. As for everyone saying he is not a leader is crazy. You are not around him and don't know what he does for the rest of the team (on and off the court). Take a leadership class and you might learn that there are several types of leaders and each person has their own method of leading. Most people on this site should go coach or play somewhere because they are all knowing about basketball. I am sure you haven't used one year of your eligiblity yet. Relax and cheer for our team. Quit being so judgemental without all the facts and observations.

Lance Hobson 13 years, 1 month ago

Let's face it, watching Sherron in a KU uniform will always be a roller-coaster ride. Remember how furious we were with him in the National Title game? Then he gets a steal and nails a three and all is forgiven. He's just one of those guys, kind of like Jaque Vaughn. The difference is that JV could never come through when it counted in March, and Collins already has.

jayhawkblue41 13 years, 1 month ago

I just hope sometime soon, Sherron will become the team leader, and not the leader of the team. I agree with the roller-coaster ride.

Christopher Johnson 13 years, 1 month ago

My alma mater are the tigers, and no, it's not mizzou or memphis. KU has been my lifelong favorite team. For all you d-bags assuming otherwise, you're idiots. Why in the world would a mizzou or memphis fan care as much about ku ball as I do? I just think Sherron is a great player who wants to do too many things. He needs to trust his other teammates every once in a while when he's got more than one guy in his face. There's nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism. Criticism doesn't mean someone is not a fan.