Sunday, December 7, 2008

KU to face Minnesota in Insight Bowl

After a few days of uncertainty, the Kansas University football team learned Sunday that it will face Minnesota in the Insight Bowl.

Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi announced Sunday evening that the Golden Gophers (7-5, 3-5 in the Big Ten) have accepted a bid to play in the Dec. 31, Tempe, Ariz.-based bowl against the Jayhawks (7-5, 4-4 in the Big 12), who accepted a bid late last week.

"We are thrilled to have the opportunity to showcase our football program in the Insight Bowl and I am pleased to accept the invitation on behalf of the University of Minnesota," Maturi said in a statement. "The state of Arizona is an outstanding bowl destination for our fans and the hospitality that was extended to our program during our visit in 2006 was exceptional. I encourage our alumni, fans and students to come with us to Tempe and experience what will be an outstanding matchup between two of the nation’s top conferences.”

The game will represent the seventh meeting between the schools and the first since 1973. Kansas has gone 3-3 all-time against the Golden Gophers.

“We are excited to be selected as the Big Ten’s representative in the Insight Bowl and we are looking forward to playing one of the nation’s best teams in Kansas on Dec. 31st in Sun Devil Stadium,” Minnesota coach Tim Brewster said. “I could not be more proud of what our team has accomplished this season and I am thrilled that all their hard work is being rewarded with an opportunity to play in a tremendous event like the Insight Bowl.”

Comments

Don Everett 12 years, 12 months ago

This is not only back to back years going to a bowl, but should also be back to back bowl wins!!!!!

Alan Halvorsen 12 years, 12 months ago

I hope we win 75-6. Not gonna count my egss. But i will say minnesota sucks.

jhawk4life1976 12 years, 12 months ago

Too bad Glen Mason isn't still at Minnesota.

jhawkpb23 12 years, 12 months ago

It would've been awesome if Glen Mason was still coaching there and we whooped up on them in Tempe, but oh well. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

Hawkman_021 12 years, 12 months ago

See you in Tempe, I was there in 2003 for the Fiesta Bowl I suggest you go to the Library if it is still there it was the best bar in the area the bartenders/waitresses dress up in Catholic School suits :-)

LAJayhawk 12 years, 12 months ago

Minnesota stinks.Hopefully we come to play like we did in arrowhead and not like in Florida or Lincoln. If we come out like we did at arrowhead, it will be a walk in the park.

Jordan Brown 12 years, 12 months ago

"One of the nation's best teams in Kansas" hahaha... that makes me laugh. He's an idiot. I love our team, but we aren't even ranked!

Relic 12 years, 12 months ago

Hope ESPN picks us to lose like normal. We work better as underdogs normally (excluding top 5 teams). I remember them just laughing at the idea that we had a chance against VT last year.

Chiefs_Jayhawk 12 years, 12 months ago

I live in Phoenix and goto the "Library Sports bar" right by the stadium on Mill Ave - one of the best hot spots to hang out during Gameday - hot waitresses dancing on bar tops :)

Rick Arnoldy 12 years, 12 months ago

Where's Doogie's in-depth analysis of all things Methouri and the Alamo Bowl? Have to admit, given all the disrespect B12 defenses have gotten the past week, I've been geared for rooting for all the B12 teams to win in routs. Then I remembered Methouri made a bowl. Oh well, 6-1 is still pretty good.

Alan Halvorsen 12 years, 12 months ago

We don't like teams with "M" on their helmet.

rockchalkin54 12 years, 12 months ago

“We are excited to be selected as the Big Ten’s representative in the Insight Bowl and we are looking forward to playing one of the nation’s best teams in Kansas on Dec. 31st in Sun Devil Stadium,” Minnesota coach Tim Brewster said.ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

Marathon_Man 12 years, 12 months ago

If you want to call it TV. It's an insult that the game will be on the NFL network. I thought one of the good things of a bowl game was the TV exposure. Am I the only one that thinks we got screwed.

Craig Lang 12 years, 12 months ago

I for one love the NFL network. My only complaint is the game's early start time. Dec. 31 is still a workday for a lot of people, so I don't think the bowl will get a lot of exposure. Oh well, guess the Jayhawks will have to push to get themselves another BCS bowl bid next season!

Matt Gauntt 12 years, 12 months ago

I'm ticked about the game being on the NFL network. Coming back to Kansas for New Years and will be at my Dad's house. Cox Cable doesn't have the NFL network on their basic package. Does anyone know if WIBW or some other local station will strike a deal to simulcast the game? This is going to suck if I can't watch the game.

eastTXjayhawk 12 years, 12 months ago

i've heard many people say that the local markets for both teams had the game on regular over the air TV for the bowl games on NFL network. Easy to find on Dish Network as well, and I'm sure it's on a pretty basic package on DirecTV.

shorty31 12 years, 12 months ago

i was born in phoenix and all the jayhawks will love phoenix az alot.. they have alot of bars, n.b.a, hockey, n.f.l, awsome place to be.. i miss it alot but im happy to be where i live right now..phoenix az is sports country.. all you have a great time and take some awsome pics..

ROCKCHALKJAYHAWKGOKU 12 years, 12 months ago

I'll just go over and watch the game at my friends house because I don't have the NFL Network and he does. It sucks that's not on ESPN or ESPN2 but it's better than Pay-Per-View or something like that.

Omari Miller 12 years, 12 months ago

Glad the 'Hawks are playing in a solid bowl, but the NFL Network? There are 34 bowls played this season... and TWO are on the NFL Network. All the others are on ESPN, ESPN2 or network TV. Looks like I'll be upgrading my cable plan for the day.

notigers4me 12 years, 12 months ago

Great job Hawks. Lets kick some golden gopher booty. The game is on at my house everyone is welcome. Sorry folks my wife just vetoed that plan. Go Hawks.

KUPROUD 12 years, 12 months ago

Come on, notigers4me, have some guts and give us your address. I remember in last year's Insight bowl the NFL network allowed most of Oklahoma and Indiana to have access to the game after it got hammered by the public. Maybe that will happen this year.

KGphoto 12 years, 12 months ago

Wow. One big win over Missouri and everybody is beating their chest. Minnesota was playing some great football and were 7-2, having only lost close games to Ohio State and Northwestern. Then they lost their best offensive threat and came unglued (still almost beating Wisconsin) for the last three games.Eric Decker was putting up impressive stats. In fact if he hadn't been injured his numbers would've fallen somewhere in between Meier and Briscoe. He basically missed all of the last three games. He'll be 100% against KU.I think we're a little too deep, and we have The Reesing Factor, but I wouldn't overlook the gophers. I imagine we'll see the gophers that played Ohio State and Northwestern very tough.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 12 years, 12 months ago

This is the best time of year to go to Phoenix, it is nice and cool instead of 110 degrees like it can be in the summer. Great metro area.Oh, and if anyone's driving, be careful not to speed too fast. I got a $152 ticket going 76 on the interstate (speed limit) 65 driving around Scottsdale. They took a picture of me and my tag and mailed me the ticket. I was going with the flow of traffic too. D'oh!

LAJayhawk 12 years, 11 months ago

KG-Wisconsin also stinks. "Almost beating" them is not a complement. Plus, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades... as they say.