Tuesday, August 26, 2008

KU guard Reed finally takes a much-needed break

photo

Kansas' Tyrel Reed shown as a sophomore in this 2008 photo.

Audio clip

Tyrel Reed interview

After attending summer school, working basketball camps, lifting weights, playing pick-up games with his Kansas University teammates and competing in the Kansas City Pro-Am League - all after a hectic, eye-opening freshman year - Tyrel Reed needed a little break.

There was no place better for the Jayhawk sophomore guard to catch his breath in late July/early August than his hometown of Burlington, Pop. 2,707.

"The most fun thing I did all summer? It was just going home to see my family. You don't get to do that a whole lot," Reed said. "I went back to Burlington. It's a small town, not a lot going on. It was just kind of nice to be there and relax."

The 6-foot-3, 185-pound Reed is a hometown hero in Burlington, and not just because he was part of KU's 2008 national championship team.

In helping Burlington High to records of 26-0, 22-1, 23-1 and 24-2, he amassed school-record totals in points (1,710), steals (323) and assists (365).

"Burlington is a great community. They've all been supportive of everything I've done. They appreciate my hard work, I guess," said Reed. He scored 47 points and dished 21 assists against four turnovers while playing in 23 games during an injury-plagued freshman season at KU.

"I don't consider myself a celebrity at home. You've got Cole, my roommate, I consider him a celebrity," he added of sophomore center Cole Aldrich.

"Everybody knows him after the Carolina game. Just today on campus, he called me on the phone. He said, 'Do you see me?' I said, 'Of course I see you, you are the tallest guy on campus.' He's not hard to spot from anywhere. He's the celebrity."

Reed, who figures to play both point guard and shooting guard this year, would love to join the 6-11 Aldrich on the court for meaningful minutes.

For that to happen, coach Bill Self has said Reed must become more aggressive and be one of the team's top shooters.

"Defense ... with coach Self it's his big thing. We've been a great defensive team the past few years. Hopefully we'll do that again this year," Reed said. "I will have to be a good defender to be out on the court.

"Coach Self plays an aggressive style out there. If you are aggressive on offense and can play defense, I think there's always a spot."

Reed, who is one of four returning scholarship players from the title team, tried to show some leadership over the summer and in workouts since the start of school.

"I try to talk a lot during practice and help our younger guys get through some things," Reed said.

"During the summer, I tried to help show them different things. Just how we play ball screens, how we get in our offense, just the basics. We have smart young guys. They pick things up pretty fast. I think that will be a trend throughout the whole year."

Reed is hoping to shake the injury bug his sophomore season. He suffered a pair of severe ankle sprains that limited him a year ago.

Coincidentally, his sister, KU team manager Lacie, currently is on the injured list. She's been sporting a heavy wrap on her knee at pre-Labor Day Canada trip practice sessions.

"My sister didn't tear her ACL, she had to get it cleaned up. She had it scoped," Tyrel said. "They looked at her knee and it was pretty messed up. They did four other things to it. It's from basketball when she was younger. She's dislocated both knees. She's had it all."

¢ Still no word: There was no word from the NCAA Clearinghouse regarding eligibility of Marcus and Markieff Morris on Monday. KU coach Self said if the two are cleared at any time this week, they'll travel with the team Friday to Canada for KU's three games in Ottawa over Labor Day weekend.

Bill Self hits the links for boy scout charity

Bill Self's golf-playing days are coming to an end. This weekend, he'll be in Canada for the Jayhawk's exhibition trip to Ottawa. But on Monday, however, he took part in the Boy Scouts of America Benefit Tournament at Lawrence Country Club. Unfortunately for coach, he got stuck playing with Sports Director Kevin Romary and Sports Editor Tom Keegan for part of the day...

¢ Golf benefit: KU coach Self held his annual Boy Scouts of America Classic on Monday at Lawrence Country Club.

"There are so many great causes and you can see this is a good one because of the number of people who turn out to support it and they have for years," he said of the more than 100 golfers who played a scramble. "Any time you put your name on something that is as positive and does as much for youth as Boy Scouts has done over time, that's a nice honor. I do hope the community helps fund this because so many causes need funding. This is certainly one of them," Self said.

Comments

Larry Smith 11 years, 6 months ago

A couple of things to comment about.I don't really understand the sentiment that Tyrell does not/ will not have the footspeed to play defense. I think with his injuries last year, we never really had to chance to see. And the few minutes that he did get early in the year, he looked impressive at times and lost at times. The same as most freshmen. Give the guy a chance and lets see what he has to offer when he is healthy before we write him off.On the Morris twins: After the debacle at Nebraska earlier this year with Roburt Sallie, I believe that Coach Self and all involved are taking every precaution in order to make sure that it does not happen here. By all accounts everyone thought he would be cleared by the clearinghouse. When it did not happen, It really screwed things up. If you really want to talk about a cautionary tale, that would be a perfect case study.

Ted Toulouse 11 years, 6 months ago

We're starting to look pretty thin on the front line. Who's our next biggest guy after Cole?

Drew Bender 11 years, 6 months ago

Xavier Henry moved into the top spot in the new ESPNU 100 rankings... Bummer about his brother and Memphis

Robert Brock 11 years, 6 months ago

So, derringer - you think that KU should just "move on" without the Morris twins? Should the Hawks have just "moved on" without Brandon Rush? How long did it take the clearing house to proclaim his eligibility? Be patient...

canuckhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Like you have to ask....Kleinmann!!!! Then it's Thomas, then you get into the guards. I think I can be patient for the twins.

justanotherfan 11 years, 6 months ago

I understand your sentiments okjhok, and that would probably be ok, except for the fact that it would probably be fairly easy to spot them, seeing as they are usually tall and African American (how many 6-10 black guys do you see at KU that don't play basketball?), and if they were attending classes without paying, that could get us in trouble with the NCAA. Unfortunate as it is, I think waiting on the eligibility thing is the only option, lest we open up another problem with the NCAA.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 6 months ago

Tyrel certainly could be a useful, deadly 3pt shooter. The other types of shots like pull up jumpers, runners, etc that require off-the-dribble quickness, remains to be seen if he can display that repertoire at the Div1 level. I had hoped he would blossom into another Hinrich; maybe one day soon...

JayCeph 11 years, 6 months ago

KU is being indirectly called out in this article for using 'questionable ethics' in their recruiting process (re: Mario Chalmers and his Dad): Read on...http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/08/26/hoop.thoughts/index.html

okjhok 11 years, 6 months ago

If they were smart (no, seriously) they would go to class anyway, just to keep up. Most of the classes are in auditoriums that don't take attendance. What else do they have to do? Sit on their ass? I had a friend that used to go to a philosophy class at KU and he wasn't enrolled. He just went because it was interesting to him. Tyrel seems like a good kid. I don't think there's much chance for playing time for him the rest of his career, but he'll be successful nonetheless.

kcphantom 11 years, 6 months ago

You also need to remember that while they aren't eligible, they can't attend class. Isn't that what college is about? The education?

kubasketball0809 11 years, 6 months ago

Yeah you guys dont know anything about them im there brother homie stop talkin all that bull bou them not going

okjhok 11 years, 6 months ago

No, I don't see Tyrel being the "safer" option at any point this year, including the beginning of the year, simply because he can't play defense the way that Sherron, Tyshawn, Travis, and Tyrone will be able to. It comes down to footspeed, and even through Tyrel is a hell of an athlete, he can't match the footspeed of the others. The same goes for Brady. That's life on the basketball team of the University of Kansas, and we all know it. I'm not saying he won't see playing time, but more often than not, I'm betting his playing time will be an attempt by HCBS to light a fire under anyone's ass that needs it. Hopefully that won't be necessary, but we've seen it before.

Billy Derringer 11 years, 6 months ago

Oh yea the twins, they are starting to be a after thought. Im not sure if these guys are even worth the wait, i cant speak for anyone else but im ready to move without them-open up some scollys next year and erupt with 4 STUD frosh and get back to the final 4 and see what we have-lets face it guys were not repeating with this cast...are we???

Mr_Sandman 11 years, 6 months ago

Where did you here the CJ Henry to Memphis news?

grantmvb 11 years, 6 months ago

CJ Henry to Memphis. Not great news in regards to Xavier.

chalmers2wright 11 years, 6 months ago

Yea I think it's a little early to be counting Tyrel out. Hard worker. Great shooter. Smart basketball player. And other then Sherron and Big Red he knows the system as well as anyone. I think he'll get some good playing time at the beginning of the season because he is a safer option then some of the freshman, and if he plays well he could secure himself a spot.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 6 months ago

Isn't auditing still an option? It used to be that anyone could attend a class with the instructor's permission, but no credit of course.

not_important 11 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like Tyrel's dad has passed along a little bit of his knack for coaching to his son. I really like the fact that Tyrel stepped up and took the time to help the young guys get a head start on things this summer. The program lost a large portion of its family at the end of last season, but the few remaining guys will perpetuate that bond and continue to put team ahead of individual.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 6 months ago

What's the over-under on it happening 9/3 (?) - Brandon Rush Day?

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

The CJ Henry news is rather shocking. I'd say it hurts our chances at Xavier.I thought CJ was virtual lock to come here if/when he decided to play college ball. I guess not...

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

There is no penalty for attending class without being enrolled in the class, unless the particular professor had a problem with it. They couldn't take tests or turn in homework or anything, but there would be no problem if they were to attend the classes.

justanotherfan 11 years, 6 months ago

I think the class situation is as follows:Being on athletic scholarship, their classes are paid for by the athletics department. Unfortunately, until they are cleared, they can't received their athletics scholarships, so their classes aren't paid for. They could go to class, but they would have to pay out of their own pocket, or get a loan (I think somebody mentioned this the other day). They can't even have someone else pay for their classes, and refund them after they are cleared (booster issues). So unless the twins or their families have a few grand laying around, or can get access to a pretty big loan on short notice, they probably won't be attending any class until the eligibility situation is cleared up and they can accept their scholarships, thereby paying for their classes.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 6 months ago

Might as well forget about the twins getting cleared this week. They can enjoy their extended vacation in Lawrence while the team travels.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 6 months ago

...I always consider the source: SportsIllustrated. (or ESPN...) Those sources that always tout the ACC, and when there IS a story about KU or the BigXII, it often is not flattering, as this insinuation/speculation. And this coming off the heels of a national championship? Seems like some sportswriter lost his office-bracket and is trying to pee on our parade. There have occasionally been positive stories about KU, with the story about DJax coming to mind...I say to them: move on. Just like all that high-school BS about Arthur--someone 3 yrs later exposing their "beef" with Shady OR the school system where they used to work...Neither story would get ANY press if KU had lost. I rest my case.

okjhok 11 years, 6 months ago

Actually, Seth Davis has been a strong proponent of KU in the past, so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

not_important 11 years, 6 months ago

Not being eligible through the Clearinghouse doesn't mean they CAN'T attend classes. As long as they have been accepted by the university, they can go to class just like any student. They are CHOOSING not to attend class because as soon as they do, their eligibility clock starts ticking down. Not going to class until they are cleared is a safety measure. Actually, choosing not to attend class is a little strong. I'm betting its a mutually agreed upon course of action by the family and the program to protect their athletic interests. But they could still choose to go to class if they wanted to.They'll be cleared in due time, but it is unfortunate they didn't have this stuff worked out early enough that they could have benefited from these extra days of practice.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 6 months ago

JayCeph: it is inevitable for those without full facts to try to make that insinuation, but they obviously missed the TIMELINE fact that Mario had already signed with KU, then his parents decided to come to Lawrence, America, Self hears this and recruits the Dad to his staff. ONE COULD MORE ACCURATELY SAY MARIO GOT HIS DAD RECRUITED BY BILL SELF (by exposing his family to Self in the course of recruiting activities). Now, speaking out of the other side of my mouth I will speculate it is, I guess, "possible" that this was all prearranged behind closed-doors in Alaska, but Self will never say so, and Ronnie & Mario will never say so, as nothing should tarnish what is now a golden, immortal legacy for one Mario Chalmers, KU#15...So, really, do I care? Nope.The public sequence of events is good enough for me--I have much else in life to ponder.