Thursday, August 21, 2008

Self awaiting word on twins, Releford

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self hopes three incoming freshmen will be available to practice today, the first day of the 2008-09 school year.

Twins Marcus and Markieff Morris, as well as Travis Releford, need to get the OK from the NCAA Clearinghouse before being eligible to take part in workouts prior to the Jayhawks' trip to Canada.

The Jayhawks will practice the next nine days in preparation for a three-exhibition-game Labor Day weekend trip to Ottawa.

"Travis is qualified. With Travis, his was done months ago, but there was a hang-up with his paperwork. They needed one more piece of paper, one more piece of verification," Self said Wednesday. "Certainly there's no reason to believe there will be a problem. Hopefully it'll be done today."

Releford, a graduate of Bishop Miege in Roeland Park, did not have to complete any summer school classwork to become eligible. The Morris twins took a high school core course this summer, which combined with their SAT scores should make them eligible.

"We've not heard one thing today. Hopefully it'll be determined by tomorrow," Self said of word on the twins.

Self said he did not yet know if junior point guard Sherron Collins would practice today. Collins had arthroscopic left knee surgery April 22.

¢ Henry now No. 3: Rivals.com has updated its rankings for high school prospects in the Class of 2009.

Xavier Henry, a 6-6 guard from Putnam City, Okla., has dropped from No. 2 to 3. The country's No. 1 player remains John Wall, a 6-4 guard from Raleigh, N.C.. who has KU on his list. No. 2 is Demarcus Cousins, 6-9, from Mobile, Ala.

The top-10 recruits who also list KU and their rankings: Derrick Favors, 6-9, Atlanta (No. 4), Jordan Hamilton, 6-7, Los Angeles (No. 5), Avery Bradley, 6-3, Tacoma, Wash. (No. 8), Lance Stephenson, 6-5, Brooklyn, N.Y. (No. 9), Renardo Sidney, 6-10, Los Angeles (No. 10).

Comments

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 2 months ago

Scout has Henry rated number 2. This paper makes it sound like Henry is free falling. He's not.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 2 months ago

As I understand it, the Twins made their SAT scores. It doesn't seem to be that they couldn't make the grades, but that they hadn't taken a necessary course. I've seen nothing that makes me worry they won't be able to maintain their eligibility.

DSommersby 11 years, 2 months ago

Hope all this Clearinghouse paperwork gets taken care of ASAP! I was pretty sure Releford was all set to go. Sounds like they probably had to fax something in that was missing. I will take Xavier where ever he is ranked. He will be a stud. Get healthy Sherron.

truehawkfan 11 years, 2 months ago

Except the minor BB gun incident. I hope things work out for the best team wise. If these two get on the same page that Coach Self wants them on, they will be just fine. If not, Self will deal with it, and the team will be just fine.

truehawkfan 11 years, 2 months ago

I met Taylor at a camp this summer and he is a mouthy kind of guy. Not in a bad way either. If any of the other incoming freshman were screwing around at camp, he would kind of get on them. I really like him. Even though he is a freshman, I see some great leadership qualities in him.

okjhok 11 years, 2 months ago

The only reason Henry dropped with Rivals is because he didn't play as much as the others did because of injury. Everybody knows what he can do...it's a non-issue, really not even worth mentioning, but we know how we like to sensationalize.

yates33333 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm beginning to worry that if the twins are ever eligible they will stay eligible. When I was at KU eligibility wasn't automatic. I know they have more classes now where the athletic program can hide modern athletes but how many classes? Besides what would this say about KU????

canuckhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm not sure how you can read an X-man "free fall" into this article: "has dropped from no. 2 to 3" doesn't seem like a sensational way to put it. As for the Morris twins, I'm putting my faith in Self on this one. From what I've seen, I'm pretty skeptical about these guys. They are likely to be ruled eligible by the NCAA but anytime players gain a C.J. reputation before they start practicing, it spells trouble. They need a RussRob or Dub around to look up to. Who will be our character leader?

97jhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Dang!! How much paperwork do these kids need in order to get through the clearing house? It's worse than the paperwork to get Top Secret clearance with the government. Unbelievable. They're just high school kids playing ball. What could they possibly still need? Especially Releford.

Mr_Sandman 11 years, 2 months ago

I really wish that it would be possible to get great athletes who have no problems academically. This is simply not going to happen because these kids are running all over the country playing AAU or going to camps. Academic clearinghouse issues will be more and more common as these guys spend less time concentrating on schoolwork.

Drew Bender 11 years, 2 months ago

I didnt really want to be shot but I was being held down by two roommates while the third shot me from about five feet

okjhok 11 years, 2 months ago

I don't know if that's the issue or not. If a kid isn't qualifying, it isn't because of what they're doing in the summer. If they have to take summer classes to become eligible, it's because they didn't take care of business during the year.

chalmers2wright 11 years, 2 months ago

So it spells trouble when a player (based on one overblown incident) is given a reputation (by fans...who helped make that incident seem like a huge deal)? LOTS of KU players have had these minor incidents and very few of them have continued after those first incidents. BRush, Jeff Hawkins, Sherron, the list goes on and on. I'll trust Bill Self to handle this and I'll wait to rush to judgment on the Twins. Self will deal with it and if it continues they'll be gone (ala Giddens and Giles).

5DecadeHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

I'd say that out character leaders will be Coach Self, Coach Manning, and Coach Dooley.We're in great hands.

canuckhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Lebowski..."f'in morons"... I assume your name calling was directed at me. I'm not saying the twins are as bad as C.J. I'm just saying that they are building that reputation (founded or not).

Drew Bender 11 years, 2 months ago

OMG... Travis Releford is not yet eligible... I seriously see all this as another Giles, Giddens type of situation... Morris kid shot somebody with a plastic pellet gun... Plastic... Murderer-in-training???Shut up people... These are all non-issues... Its been said before but some people only hear what they want to hear and read to much between the lines... If, for some reason, the twins dont become eligible this semester, they will still be able to play 2nd semester... The pellet gun thing is different... Not the smartest thing ever but Im not gonna sit here and call him a sinner... Its been over-hyped by the media and fans alike... I have personally taken over 50 rounds of pellets at one time to my bare chest and stomach by my college roommates with a automatic pellet gun... It may leave a mark for five minutes but it certainly was nothing to cry over... This country really is becoming a land full of crybabies

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 2 months ago

ESU....that's funny stuff! you should have had that shown on Ripley's believe it or not (the 50 pellets to your chest)....tee he.i'm glad to hear the Morris boys are pretty close really to getting declared eligible.people forget, when B Rush came in, it was a week or two at least past the first day of classes that he was cleared.

MattressMan 11 years, 2 months ago

I dont know about the twins. They graduated high school then did the prep school thing and they still had to do a summer class and we STILL don't know about their eligibility yet. I get the feeling they might be 25 watt bulbs put in a 100 watt box by mistake.