Friday, August 15, 2008

Mortensen on Butkus Award watch list

Former Kansas linebacker Joe Mortensen will work out in a mini-camp for the Buffalo Bills.

Kansas linebacker Joe Mortensen has been named to the 2008 Butkus Award watch list.

Kansas University senior Joe Mortensen, a first-team all-Big 12 selection a year ago, was one of 66 players named to the 2008 Butkus Award watch list Thursday.

The award is named for former football great Dick Butkus and annually honors the top linebacker in college football.

Mortensen, who led the Jayhawks with 106 tackles en route to first-team all-Big 12 honors in '07, also has landed on watch lists for the Bronko Nagurski Award and the Lombardi Award, which go to the nation's best defensive player and top player within five yards of the ball, respectively.

Comments

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 10 months ago

We definitely have a trio of STUD LBs!!!!!

NH_JHawk 11 years, 10 months ago

Somebody slap me in the face! Are you ready for some football?

11 years, 10 months ago

Very nice, and very deserving. In case anyone missed the LJW blog containing an entertaining interview with Joe, check this out:http://www2.kusports.com/blogs/sideline_report/2008/aug/14/mortensen/

John Stowell 11 years, 10 months ago

Not to take away from Joe, but how many awards can they come up with?

Kyle Crenshaw 11 years, 10 months ago

no doubt KU. just remembering how amazing they were makes me that much more excited about this group of LBs. those 3 inspired the rest of the defense in what became one of the Big 12s top defenses. should be exciting

Ted Toulouse 11 years, 10 months ago

NH_JHawk - LOL...I'm with you man! a couple of weeks ago I was SO looking forward to the preseason hype. Now, I'm just ready for Saturdays. God I love Saturdays in the fall!!!!

KU 11 years, 10 months ago

Floodman and the rest of the previous crop of starting LBs were prophetic when they said these three would be even better performers than they were. I hope we get the second string plenty of action this fall or we'll be going into 2009 pretty inexperienced.

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 10 months ago

Who wouldn't love to have the title "top player within five yards of the ball." I'm guessing that's a defense only award, but the abstract name kinda makes me wonder.

Eurekahwk 11 years, 10 months ago

Rivera said pretty much the same a couple of weeks ago about the next group of young LBs. Could Kansas become the new Linebacker U?