Friday, August 15, 2008

KU releases 2009 football schedule

While Kansas University released its 2009 football schedule Friday, the site for the Jayhawks' annual Border War matchup with Missouri - and college football's oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi - hasn't yet been determined.

The two schools are currently in a two-year agreement during which the game is being held at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium, approximately halfway between the two schools.

KU senior associate athletic director Larry Keating, who is in charge of scheduling, said this week that discussions are ongoing regarding the venue of the Jayhawks' Nov. 28, 2009, game against the Tigers, although the schools' officials likely wouldn't reach a verdict until later this fall.

"We're talking about it, but that's all there is so far," Keating said. "I think at this point, we'd probably make a decision by the time we play this year's (Missouri-Kansas) game. It could happen earlier, it could happen around that time."

In their first four games of the '09 season, the Jayhawks will take on nonconference opponents Northern Colorado (Sept. 5), Texas-El Paso (Sept. 12), Duke (Sept. 19) and Southern Mississippi (Sept. 26), in addition to an eight-game conference schedule that will be the same as the 2008 version.

In all, Kansas will play seven games at Memorial Stadium, including games against Northern Colorado, Duke, Southern Mississippi, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Missouri (assuming it isn't moved to Kansas City), while traveling to UTEP, Colorado, Texas Tech, Kansas State and Texas.

Keating, meanwhile, added that the 2010, 2011 and 2012 schedules could potentially be completed within the next few months, at which point they would be released to the public.

"As soon as we get a season done, we put it out," he said. "We don't like to put out the partials (schedules). You put that information out and people plan stuff out ahead of time, and if you change it, people get upset. ... (But) as soon as we get it done, we'll put it out."

2009 Kansas Football Schedule

Sept. 5 NORTHERN COLORADO

Sept. 12 at Texas-El Paso

Sept. 19 DUKE

Sept. 26 SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI

Oct. 10 *IOWA STATE

Oct. 17 *at Colorado

Oct. 24 *OKLAHOMA

Oct. 31 *at Texas Tech

Nov. 7 *at Kansas State

Nov. 14 *NEBRASKA

Nov. 21 *at Texas

Nov. 28 *MISSOURI

Dec. 5 Big 12 Championship, Arlington, Texas

* - Big 12 Conference game.

Comments

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

fabio, , Jimmy_Dean, txrockchalk ...MOUNT UP!!El Paso, here we come!!!!

Mo Mosallaei 6 years, 4 months ago

Bummer, it looks like we'll be getting a bye week the first week of the season, and in effect get a later start to the season than everybody else. The offseason is already long enough.

rolo2383 6 years, 4 months ago

I might have to look into going to the road games of all three of those teams on the schedule. I have friends in TX, Mississippi and North Carolina. When I go to TX I always try to get to Ft. Worth to eat at Joe T. Garcia's.

rolo2383 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm definitely going to make a trip down there this year. The last time I was there was two years ago when the bball team played the Longhorns. Crappy game but on the way home lunch out on the patio of Joe T Garcia's sorta made up for it. BMC, it is definitely the best Mexican food I have ever had.

William James 6 years, 4 months ago

Keep the Mizzou game in Arrowhead and out of Columbia. The days of big time football are here. Including a big time venue to end every season.

6 years, 4 months ago

rolo2383 - I have lived in the area over eight years and went to Joe T.'s a couple months ago for the first time. Great fajitas and margaritas. The patio is incredible. For those who haven't been, it has seating for 1,000. It takes up most of the block.

6 years, 4 months ago

Brickwall1 - It just looks that way at first glance, however the Northern Colorado game is going to be on Labor Day Weekend. I believe most college teams will be kicking off their season that weekend. Our bye week is after the Southern Mississippi game.

rgreene 6 years, 4 months ago

I wonder how long ago it was when they agreed to that game AT Utep. That's wild.ebizzle, I have a feeling the MU-KU game at Arrowhead will be extended. Just a hunch. These schools seem to love money too much.

ebizzle 6 years, 4 months ago

So is Mizzou coming to Lawrence? I hope this is the last year we go to Camerohead.

William James 6 years, 4 months ago

txrockchalk-We could be looking at a possibility of 12 games in Texas in 2009!

bmcmich1 6 years, 4 months ago

I'll third the praise of Joe T.'s -- went there the night before the destruction of Houston in the Ft. Worth Bowl, what a great place -- BEST Mexican food I've ever had. BTW, don't ask the mariachi band there if they know any Springsteen... ;)

6 years, 4 months ago

Seven - Believe it!!Ryan - The UTEP road game was a surprise to me as well. I don't recall it being in the works. Texas is playing at UTEP this year, and I am told it's the first time the two have ever played. Needless to say, tickets are at a premium for that game.

Dyrk Dugan 6 years, 4 months ago

that's a pretty good schedule.Let's get that Moo game back here in Lawrence....now that would be fun.It will be 16 years since we played them in Lawrence, as the final game. 16 years!!!!!!!

6 years, 4 months ago

Sweet! I see some great road trip opportunities :)

Shazam 6 years, 4 months ago

Please tell me Mizzou's coming to Lawrence.

Jason Sinclair 6 years, 4 months ago

Reesing will be gone by 2010 (he's a jr. now), but a game at Duke would be kind of fun.As for the UTEP game, I don't like it. This is the worst possible scenario, a heck of a tough game that you'll get no credit for winning but endless ridicule if you lose.I felt the same way when we scheduled USF, and we almost had an embarrassing (at the time) loss to them at home. Since then, they've become a national power so playing them this year is a win-win.Point is, if you're going to go on the road, do it against a team with name-recognition so you can at least get some credit for it.

William James 6 years, 4 months ago

Im definately in on the UTEP trip. Ive talked to Jimmy Dean and he is too. This is going to be great. When do we travel to Duke? I thought it was going to be 2009. Im looking forward to flying into Duke, kicking thier ass, and making fun of that high school track they have around thier field.

6 years, 4 months ago

fabio - lots of KU games in Texas is right! If I am not mistaken, that last possibility on the schedule will be the first college football game in the new Cowboys stadium. There is also the possibility of playing in the Cotton Bowl, which will also be in the new Cowboys stadium for that season.http://www.attcottonbowl.com/news_room/releases.php?uid=166

DCJayhawk0208 6 years, 4 months ago

Man, I can't wait until 2010....Reesing's senior year and a possible game at Duke? Come on out to the east coast! There will be a HUGE crowd for that game.

rockchalkblock 6 years, 4 months ago

WOW i like the non-cons here, but the big 12 games are in the same order as this year.

pvjhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Looks like only 6 "home" games if we give our 7th to Arrowhead. Looks like the Tigers are coming back to Larry!

cato_the_elder 6 years, 4 months ago

The best reason to hope for a KU victory at Arrowhead this fall is that it would in all probability cause Mizzou to ditch playing there. It's a damn shame that we have been sold out so badly by our own Athletics Department that we have to have to hope that the Slavers will have the common sense to deep-six this foolish enterprise.

6 years, 4 months ago

Hawksj - Don't forget the priceless exposure to Texas prospects we will get by playing at UTEP. Texas is a HUGE recruiting hotbed for us. The more visibility the better. This will also likely be a nationally televised game - - more exposure. Don't discount UTEP either. They are probably going to surprise some prognosticators this season. They have a sophomore QB that set a bunch of school records last year as a freshman.

Ryan Gerstner 6 years, 4 months ago

It looks to me like they're leaning toward keeping it at Arrowhead. Arrowhead is where it should stay. KU and MU are going to be the two premier teams in the North going forward. The game sold out by Aug. 14th this year, which is the fastest a KU game has sold out in decades. The sooner KU fans realize they can drive 40 miles or less to the game every year, the better.

Steve Gantz 6 years, 4 months ago

KU really lucked out last year getting into the Orange. For this team to be taken seriously they're going to have to start taking on significant non-conference games. It's a bit of an upgrade over this years JV non-con sched, but it still doesn't excite me a whole bunch.