Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Another day, another KU back defection

For the second time this week, a reserve running back is planning to transfer from Kansas University.

And then there were four.

The Kansas University football team's running-back corps, already facing the recent loss of two young backs, was dealt another blow Monday when it was revealed tailback Donte Bean would be leaving the program.

Just a day after sophomore Carmon Boyd-Anderson decided to leave school citing personal reasons, Bean, a 5-foot-10, 190-pound sophomore out of North Garland (Texas) High, confirmed he will pursue a transfer as well.

"It was going to be tough with six running backs," Bean said. "I just thought there would be more opportunity (elsewhere)."

Bean, whose brother, Brandon Walker, is a senior running back at Washburn University in Topeka, played a limited role as a red-shirt freshman last season, rushing seven times for just 20 yards in four games. Bean said he hoped to join his brother at Washburn.

The exodus leaves the Jayhawks with only four of their seven projected running backs/tailbacks entering the season.

While the Jayhawks seemed to receive a considerable boost at the running-back position by snagging 2007 national junior college offensive player of the year Jocques Crawford in February, they since have lost three other running backs: Bean, Boyd-Anderson and freshman Sean Ransburg, who wasn't cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse and will miss at least the 2008 season.

In addition to Crawford, juniors Jake Sharp and Angus Quigley remain, while red-shirt freshman Rell Lewis, who switched from receiver to running back this season, is the only other player currently listed at running back.

Comments

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

KG:The LJW is not a college publication. It is a commercial publication for a city. Ever heard of Lawrence, Kansas? Yeah... it's a nice town. Lot's of good hard working people. They deserve to get quality local coverage. This publication has no official ties to KU.I've seen plenty of writers go the extra mile. It's just rare for the LJW to do it for anything other than basketball.THAT'S WRONG.For many years the LJW has treated KU FB as an afterthought.Maybe for many of those years it was appropriate. It wasn't fun to read about another Saturday beatdown, or the dread of the next Saturday's beating to come.NOT ANYMORE! KU FB is doing well, and it is looking to be a systemic change.KU FB has upped the ante. The LJW isn't keeping up.Go try reading some other "local" papers for other college FB towns. Many of those papers understand that half or more of the papers/advertising they sell are bought because someone wants to read the local sports page.For example, I'm certainly no fan of the Cornhuskers, but the Lincoln Journal Star certainly knows the importance of covering their local teams well. (Even if the NU wresters are "uncovering" themselves not-so-well as reported today.)http://www.journalstar.com/huskerextra/There is no reason why the LJW can't cover KU and all other Lawrence Sports with the same quality and enthusiasm.The difference in quality of writing is noticeable. The attention to detail about finding the local angle is obvious. There is no way they'll give the NU FB or BB beat to a green rookie with no experience or local knowledge. There is NO CHANCE they'd put it in the hands of a Sooner!They don't slack off during basketball season either.The Journal Star has an excellent Sports department, too bad they write for the corndogs, or I'd read them every day. I do enjoy their coverage whenever KU plays an NU team.You might notice that they have a couple of writers that (gasp) ACTUALLY PLAYED FOOTBALL!What a novel idea! "Write what you know." It works!

GoBadgers 6 years, 1 month ago

Write what you know?Based on your post 5DecadeHawk, it appears that you're very knowledgeable in the ancient art of douchebaggery.You still have never answered my questions about your athletic history, which makes me believe that you've never played a single organized sport in your entire life.If you HAD to play football to write about it, that wouldn't necessarily translate into good writing. Having firsthand knowledge about something is helpful, but even more important is actually knowing how to write.In general, I guess I agree with you. Write what you know. And this I know: all kU fans are dumbsh*ts and you 5DecadeHawk (based on what I know about you) have to be the all mighty leader of this retard clan.

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

If I can become half the man Coach Fambrough is, I'd die a happy man. I'm honored by the comparison, but I think Coach Fam should be insulted. What did Fam ever do to you to deserve such an insult TX?

number1jayhawker 6 years, 1 month ago

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Steven Foster's name? He is a rs freshnman rb that has a good combo of size & speed, and could be used in the BMac role.

MCSjhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, Dugan makes our RB situation look like doom and gloom but we lost our 5th and 6th string RB. OH NO! Both were not going to be significant players for KU for at least 2 years but Doogy plays this as the worst thing possible. When is the LJW going to fire this Meth U idiot?

6 years, 1 month ago

Wow. Other than Coach Fambrough, I dare someone to find a person that hates MU more than Decade. KG, your characterizations are hilarious, but you at least have to admire Decade's passion!

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

Talk about abuse. You're abusing this post. Jeez Decade, you are holding on WAY too tight. I get the feeling you got spurned by some football program, somewhere, (probably high school) and you've been pretending to be an expert ever since. Am I close?You should be seeing a professional. I don't think your red-faced, spittle spraying, fist waving rants on this site are doing anything but making your condition worse. Take a step back for awhile and get a look at yourself. My god I can feel your inevitable stroke from here. For a septuagenarian, you're taking quite a risk. Just breathe into a paper bag for a minute.

Chiliskate 6 years, 1 month ago

maybe the reporter was AT the Wheel having a beer...this news has been out there for 2 days... edgy and late breaking LJW! way to go...

K_Easthouse 6 years, 1 month ago

I, for one, wouldn't have heard about this story had Dugan not written about it.Regardless of the timing of the story, it's certainly a story that needs to be heard. Just because a story may be a day behind doesn't mean you don't publish it.In regards to the loss, KU's success last year came from it's near-flawless execution of the game plan and each play. That execution comes from solid practices, every day. With the loss of these two, the defensive squads will have weaker practices each day, thus hurting the team. It's ridiculous to think these losses won't mean anything.For the two young men who left, best of luck to them. Competitors want to compete on the field, not just for a spot to get on it. They see KU on the upswing and know that much more talented people will be coming in eventually, relegating them to the same spot they are in now. We don't need to make pariahs out of them. Good luck to them and whatever MIAA school they wind up in.For Decade, Keith and the others criticizing the staff, be patient, especially with the new guys. It takes time to build contacts and rapport with people inside the athletic department to get this information first. I'm confident they'll get there and the reporting will be (nearly) as big as basketball season. And to Badger and the other forum trolls, please QQ more.

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I haven't and I won't answer your questions Bagger.The only thing you ever post is personal attacks. Often vulgar ones.I won't play your game. I will not reveal enough personal information about myself so that you or someone like you can harass me in person. More importantly, I won't allow the likes of you to harass my daughter.You have no logical arguments. Since you cannot dispute the facts and ideas, you attack the messenger.You only have hate within you and it shows.It is people like you that the Orange Bowl Committee wanted to avoid. I don't blame them. They were very smart to do so.With the tragedy that occured in Blackburg, the last thing they wanted was a bunch of drunken, racist, and abusive fans creating a horrible incident. Idiot MU fans would have been pretending to be snipers or holding up dogs with nooses held by Michael Vick dolls. That's the kind of low class, trailer park trash, and abusive culture that MU is known for across the country. The "antlers" are celebrated in Mizery. It's held up as an example of what is expected behaviour, and it gets passed down from generation to generation. It's the reason MU will never get any breaks. It's the reason that even when MU has a decent team that the school and state is still scorned. Mizery fans seem to enjoy inflicting abuse. What they don't understand is that they are really abusing themselves.Get used to being snubbed. It's a lifestyle suited to an Mizery fan. Next time you get upset about MU getting wronged, take a look in the mirror. It's people like you that continue the Mizery culture like a plague across the state. Kicked ball by NU.5th Down.Tyus Edny.BCS Snub.The list is longer than I care to type.YOU are part of the reason. YOU!Until YOU change your ACTIONS, and work toward positive changes in the Mizery culture, expect to be snubbed for the rest of your life.Meanwhile, you can go back to flying your confederate flag and wishing for the return of slavery like the rest of the MU elite.Go get drunk at the "Shilo Bar and Grill" with Mike DeArmond whenever you don't get what you want.

hernandoJHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

MCSjhawk is right. Doogy is a METH U retard who has no grasp of reality. Big deal, we lost our 5th and 6th string RB. actorman is probably Doogy himself.

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Yes, we've lost some practice running backs that would have had the chance to be future workhorses.I ask these questions:Do we WANT running backs that aren't willing to suffer through 2-a-Days? Do we WANT running backs that aren't willing to work their butt off to try to improve every day? Do we want running backs that put their own personal playing time ahead of team victories?The comments made by these players indicate to me that they are more interested in playing time than wins.Did any of them volunteer to return punts last year or this year? Sometimes the best way to get on the field in the Offense is to be a stud on special teams. Unlike the local newspaper's treatment of new beat reporters, KU FB no longer hands over important positions in gift wrap to unskilled unproven players.I wish Anderson and Bean well, somewhere else. Division 1 football is not for the meek.I'd rather have a running back converted from another position than someone that is not laying it all on the line for the team.It would be nice to have reporters that work their butts off too.It would be nice to have the inside story to fully understand the motivations of the departing players. Sadly what we have is a reporter that is just regurgitating the official press release. He's not willing to put in the effort to get the inside story. There's no effort. Doogie's just going through the motions sitting at a desk in an air conditioned building. A reporter that was, "doing great" would have contacts inside the program and could get more detailed information. Don't confuse sub-par generic articles with greatness.For that matter, don't confuse generic articles with mediocrity.I'm not saying this was the worst written article Doogie's written, he's actually improved slightly. This one was just late, uninspired, and merely well below average compared to other beat writers around the country. That's pretty good for Doogie. It might be about the best we can hope for until the LJW gets new leadership in the Sports Department that gives a crap.

actorman 6 years, 1 month ago

"When is the LJW going to fire this Meth U idiot?"From the sheer idiocy of that comment, MCS obviously knows whereof he speaks when he refers to meth. Or is it some other drug of choice, MCS?"Dugan definitely let the Mizzery in him come out with the headline. 'Another day, another KU back defection'."Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Dugan had anything to do with the headline. I believe the headlines are written by the editor, not the writers.As for 5Decade, thank you for being your usual crotchety self and irrationally criticizing Dugan once again. After you didn't do it the last time, I was worried that the earth might be spinning off its axis. But now it's nice to see that things are back to "normal."

rolo2383 6 years, 1 month ago

We are in a battle with Purdue for a guy out of Plano, TX.Toben Opurum 5.7 6-2/229/- Plano, TX Rivals has him rated pretty well. He's a big talented running back. With the loss of these two running backs Toben might take a harder look at KU instead of Purdue. I don't know what kind of speed he has. Something tells that Doogie could with a Pulitzer prize and 5decadehawk would still give him crap.

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

Rivethead. You should watch a little recruiting video on Deshaun Sands. I think he'll be great in this program. By 2010 he might be setting records.http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=57323&season=2009&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d57323%26season%3d2009This page has a couple of videos. The son of Tony Sands, whom I believe still holds the single game rushing record at KU. If you squint just a little, he looks like gale sayers, no?http://kansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79789&sport=1

greatabu 6 years, 1 month ago

Ransburg's eligbility clock doesn't start until he shows up as a full-time student, which will be in January. He can go through spring ball and red-shirt next fall if necessary.Rivethead, Ransburg wasn't too stupid to qualify. He needed a core English course that some how the counselors at Harrisonville didn't realize that the NCAA required.http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/743229.html

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

Dugan, you're doing great. Losing two running backs in a week, quite simply isn't great news, no matter how you spin it.I see no gloom. I see no doom.

Dyrk Dugan 6 years, 1 month ago

like i said yesterday, these guys saw the handwriting on the wall. They WERE NOT PLAYING. and wouldn't play this year. Sure, it hurts the depth. you'd love to have 5 guys at the ready at every position...but that's 110 guys (not counting kickers and punters)...and there's only 85 schollies to play with. Last year, we did fine with Sharp and McAnderson carrying the vast majority of the time. the year before, it was Cornish, pretty much exclusively. If we can't get through a year, with 3 guys, then we're sunk anyway. Just remember: Bryce Brown is still a very real possibility...and with all these defections, his playing status here in 2010 just shot up tremendously. if he would switch commits, he would be a RS Fr. in 2010....and none of the current backs would still be in the program. C'mon Bryce! plenty of playing time just down the road. You don't need big brother anyway....tee he.

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't think Bryce Brown was worried about competing for time with Donte Bean and Carmen Boyd-Anderson. They're nice backs, but Miami is an NFL running back factory. Wherever he's going, he's starting.5DecadeHawk / Septuagenarian:What is up your butt about Dugan? He's a writer. He writes articles for a college publication. Not in-depth 20/20 biographies. He has a limited amount of space, and like anybody in any other job, he's limited by his company, to do what the company wants. I don't see, nor have I ever seen, a writer provide extra depth and insight to the lives of two back-ups that decided to leave the University. You're the only one who cares. Grab your cane and go get the story yourself.And just because those guys left doesn't mean they aren't team players. If they have any hope of playing at another level, they're going to need to be starters. I wish them luck. And I thank them for being "team players" while they were here.

actorman 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, a sense of humor from 5Decade; who knew?txrockchalk, well said. I certainly do admire 5Decade's passion in his defense of KU and hatred of Misuse, even his comments are way off the deep end.

troutsee 6 years, 1 month ago

5 decade, I'm with you all the way but ease up on the LJW and Dugan. As for GoBadgers and others, let's stop the personal attacks and talk football. We are going to have a hell of a team and Mizzou is going to have a hell of a team, which will make beating them at the end of the season all the more pleasurable. And, we will beat them.

railer1122 6 years, 1 month ago

Rivethead... Reesing's first start was the Central Michigan game. And we all know how that turned out. And Sands will be starting in 2010. He's pretty damn good.

Jeff Worthington 6 years, 1 month ago

Sharp and Crawford...PLEASE STAY HEALTHY!!! That's the key, and if that happens will be fine even with the lack of depth. If one goes down, we might be in some trouble. Can Kerry Meier play running back? Lol, he can do most everything else!

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

Good luck troutsee. GoFerrett is a relentless rat who has no home. Not even a dug hole. Decade provides some OBVIOUS experience, but lacks control. Hey, the world spins round. Just hang on and try to enjoy the ride. It's just football after all.

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

Come to think of it, you're kind of a ferrett happy conference aren't you?I mean, wolverines, badgers and gophers! What gives?If your conference could count to ten on two hands, why do you have eleven teams? Do you realize that almost 25% of your conference digs holes in dirt to make their house?Dirt.Just sayin'

Rivethead 6 years, 1 month ago

I am worried. Imagine......2010.......starting at QB (in his first start) QB Kale Pick. Who's the RB who's going to make his first start easier?RB Rell Lewis a first-time starter who used to be a WRORRB Sean Ransburg a first-time starter who wasn't smart enough to qualify.OR? (fill in another first-time starter who will be a freshman or RS freshman)2010 could be a rough year.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 1 month ago

It's too bad LJW did not get the breaking news about this Monday like UDK did. Somebody was asleep at the wheel.

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

GoBadger:I know this is somewhat unrelated, but I was wondering. How's it feel to be the second baddest ferrett in your conference?

rolo2383 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm still glad there are children posting on this website. I don't see anything wrong with this article. I didn't read doom and gloom either. Good grief.We have three solid running backs who, at this point, are all healthy. Just b/c Rell Lewis was a wide reciever coming out of high school doesn't mean he can't play running back. Hell, Kerry Meier was a QB coming out of high school and that didn't stop him from becoming one of our best wide receivers. We have Steven Foster on the roster. He was recruited as a FB two years ago. He's a big guy and Rivals had him as a three star prospect. I remember another fullback in our program a few years ago that turned into our feature running back last year. He did a pretty good job.

quigley 6 years, 1 month ago

Still not real worried here.

GoBadgers 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm either an idiot or just not a huge internet nerd, but what does "QQ" mean?

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

KG, I wasn't big or fast enough to play D1 FB. I have said so previously. I turned down offers from smaller schools to focus on academics at KU. No regrets at all. It was the correct decision for me. My future was never going to be in athletics, but I do treasure the moments that I did have. Now I just enjoy coaching the local little kids. NOW THAT'S FUN! My experience with H.S. FB does help me appreciate the work and special athletic talent that D1 FB requires. This old fart can still run 10 miles in the heat. Not nearly as fast as I did when I was younger, but I'm not complaining. (Unless fussing over the dang blister on my toe counts.)I get slower every year, but I keep plodding along.Badger had it coming with all the vulgar comments he's directed at me over the last couple of weeks.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Wasn't Gary Green Jr. a RB when we recruited him? Why not use him as a WR/RB like the Chiefs used Dante Hall? I think the Hawks will be fine.

abcd1234 6 years, 1 month ago

Like jhawkjdud said- Please stay healthy. But, if we look at these two for both now and the future, we really werent going to need two guys who were unwilling to fight for PT.Now: If (knock on wood) Sharp and Crawford stay healty, we wouldn't have needed Bean or CBA anyways. They both got mop-up duty, sparingly at that. Also, Im sure Ransburg was headed for a redshirt away(?-can he still red shirt next year and then have 6 yrs in the program or does being ineligible forbid you from redshirting?)Future: With sands already committed for the class of '09 and hopefully more to come, neither one would have played in the future. Another year of Sharp n Crawford would make sands, ransburg, lewis, and any other recruits ready to step up for '10 and beyond.Of course it's be great to still have both, but that's not what these two wanted.Just trying to put a positive spin on a couple disappointing losses.

GoBadgers 6 years, 1 month ago

You think too much of me 5DecadeHawk. Or too little I guess. Why would I put forth the effort to harass you in person?And why are you bringing your daughter into this? By the way, is she hot?I kid, I kid....I already have much more respect for you. You have a daughter, huh? That is proof that you've had sex with a female at least once in your life. You might still be a fat loser who spends all his time on the internet in the basement of his mom's house, but at least you're not still a virgin. Congrats.

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

The paper bag worked!Good to see you breathing Decade. You've got a lot of great insights when you aren't spitting venom.

justanotherfan 6 years, 1 month ago

Practice depth people. That's where these departures hurt us. Practice depth.

King_Kaun 6 years, 1 month ago

yes, headlines are generally written by copy editors, you idiots. But it is fun to watch you bash a guy for something he had nothing to do with. The real funny part is that is if NO ONE had told any of you Dugan graduated from Missouri, then everyone would be talking about how great of work he is doing...get over it. Think of it this way:We converted a Tiger onto our side! It is reason for cheer, not reason to bash...

GoGators 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, 5decadehawk is kind of a tool. I mean, did this writer kill his dog or something? Why the vitriol? His articles aren't THAT poorly written. Give him a break, it can't be easy to write articles intended for a fan base that is composed of illiterate morons.