Friday, August 8, 2008

DISD: Allegations in Arthur case unfounded

The Dallas Independent School District says accusations of grade changing against former Kansas forward Darrell Arthur are unfounded.

An investigation by Dallas Independent School District's Office of Professional Responsibility concluded this week that allegations of improper grade changing involving South Oak Cliff High's 2005 and 2007 boys state championship basketball teams are unfounded.

The DISD report found no impropriety as it related to grade changes during the two state-title seasons.

It had been alleged by a South Oak Cliff High teacher that Kansas University's Darrell Arthur had his grades changed in a math class his junior year (2004-05) to retain his eligibility.

That alleged grade change - had it been confirmed by the DISD - would have made him ineligible to play for South Oak Cliff's 2004-05 state title team. It would have forced the school to forfeit its title and also may have called into question Arthur's collegiate eligibility.

"The Office of Professional Responsibility has thoroughly investigated these claims, and it is gratifying to see that administrators, teachers, coaches and student-athletes respected the rules," DISD school superintendent Michael Hinojosa said.

"It is a privilege for students to be able to participate in interscholastic athletics, and our expectation is that everyone involved in our athletic program abide by the rules, policies and procedures as it relates to eligibility."

A previous investigation proved improper grade changing of one of Arthur's teammates in the '05-'06 season and resulted in forfeiting of the state title.

Former South Oak Cliff math teacher Winford Ashmore last spring said Arthur's grades in a math class were changed to keep Arthur eligible. Ashmore told the Journal-World on Friday that, as far as he is concerned, the case is not over.

That's because he said he only spoke once to DISD investigators and claims no questions were asked of him specifically about Arthur.

"They are saying he was eligible to play in the '05 season. What I'm saying is he did not get adequate credit to require for graduation and would not be eligible for his college team," Ashmore said. "I am not one to try to make a big issue behind this. I will let this take its course."

The issue appears to have taken its course, at least according to DISD.

KU coach Bill Self told the Journal-World the DISD findings did not surprise him.

Arthur repeatedly has denied the allegations.

"I have limited knowledge about this. The University of Kansas is not involved. This is something I've not been overly concerned about in large part because there's not much we can do. This is concerning DISD. This is concerning them, and we were waiting for them to complete their investigation," Self said. "Darrell can put this behind him. He has pride. It bothered him that anybody would say those things."

KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony added: "We are happy for Darrell because it's his name and reputation that was questioned, and hopefully this will end that."

- Excerpts from the Dallas Independent School District press release prepared by Sandra Guerrero and Clyde Henderson were used in this report.

Comments

Andrew Ledell 6 years, 4 months ago

and yet again... it's great to be a Jayhawk! not much losing on or of the field of play this year.

6 years, 4 months ago

I saw this on the local Dallas news last night. However, I couldn't find the related link to post to prove I wasn't dreaming. They also mentioned they were working out the details regarding the reinstatement of the state championships.jaybate - it's a good thing you are optomistic :)

Jason Sinclair 6 years, 4 months ago

Ok, just keeping count on KU basketball "scandals" of 2008:1) Brandon Rush/Child Support - media error2) Sherron Collins/Sexual Assualt - summary judgment set aside (final result yet to be determined)3) Darrell Arthur/High School Academic Fraud - unfounded

Ryan Wood 6 years, 4 months ago

It is in the DISD's best interest to find nothing.Just sayin'...

JayCeph 6 years, 4 months ago

I believe that, upon further review, the police of Lawrence decided NOT to file criminal charges against Sherron.So, I think what we have here is a failyuh tuh comm-u-nicate!

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey Mizzou fans ... why don't you take that and STUFF IT!

Seth Peattie 6 years, 4 months ago

SUCK IT, liar dude that made this up! Also, eat it, Badgerclown!!!!!!!!!

KGphoto 6 years, 4 months ago

Great. Now Darrell needs to get a few lawyers and go after the person who started all this like pit bulls on crack.

yates33333 6 years, 4 months ago

Ashmore is right about one thing, it's not over. His ass has had it.

prairie_dog 6 years, 4 months ago

I feel sorry for the usual Mildcat/Meth-zuri trollers. Now they have nothing to talk about.

tailg8prty 6 years, 4 months ago

It cracks me up how many people (probably Mizzou fans) think KU is 'shady'. Speaking of Shady. Its not KU's job to make sure he passes a class his sophomore year. Get a clue. If you have nothing better to do then be jealous about KU then I take that as a compliment. Great job Self on your new contract and getting the overdue upgrades that Roy never asked for.

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 4 months ago

Shady may need to be wise with the funds, as he signed for approx $1.1mil (last I heard, correct me if Im wrong..), and after taxes, that doesnt leave a 7-figure sum. Im sure he is considering all the ways to spend dollars, but giving 5 figures to some attorney to hound some not-rich teacher is a low-yield endeavor. Especially since that teacher basically just got called a liar essentially by the school board that just refuted his allegations. He just needs to keep pushing his own ceiling in basketball, not worrying about a now-discredited clown. Just my thought...

5DecadeHawk 6 years, 4 months ago

tailg8prty:Let me start by saying I'm elated that we have Coach Bill Self instead of "defenseless" Coach Roy.That said, tailg8 is incorrect. Roy DID make noise about the housing situation. I don't remember what year(s) were involved, but RW pulled the basketball team out of Jayhawk Towers and moved them to Naismith Hall, a privately owned hall, so that he could upgrade the team's living conditions.At that time, the University wasn't willing to invest any money in upgrading the Towers. The fact that KU Athletics had an annual budget that was last in the conference didn't help matters either. (I think. If we weren't last, we were nearly last.) It's really great that KU now has the monetary resources available to compete with the rest of the conference with our facilities.My point in saying this isn't really about defending RW. I'm ecstatic with our upgrade in BB coaching. It's nice to see us play defense at Kansas again.My point is to say, "THANK YOU LEW PERKINS!"Lew has put KU Athletics on sound financial footing and we can now let our great University compete on a level playing field. Lew made difficult decisions, but he did it with the best interests of KU at heart. He doesn't allow vocal "cheapskate" ticket holders and business owners that were getting a low rent ride on the gravy train to run the show.The supporters that are willing to show their support with their checkbooks are the ones he gives preferential treatment to. It may be unpopular with some, but it's the right thing to do for KU.It's been a harrowing transition for many people, and I do have sympathy for many who suddenly lost their prime seats when they couldn't afford to pay the fair market value for what their seats were really worth. I hope they enjoyed the economy ride while it lasted.Now we have the facilities to be better than ever before. Lew did what had to be done. It wasn't pretty, but KU is better off.

FortWorthJayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Ashmore said. "I am not one to try to make a big issue behind this."Oh but you alread did and you were full of it, d-wad...

NH_JHawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Now that that's behind us, I'm hoping we can put Sherron's troubles to bed (presuming his innocence until proven otherwise) and we can start with a clean slate before the season starts. I fear those proceedings could re-surface at the wrong time and generate some unsightly national media attention.

kansaspike 6 years, 4 months ago

Go after their ass!!!! I'm no lawyer...but Shady was hung out to dry by those bastards!!!!!

lance1jhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Go Badgers must be off to the meth lab, or didiling his sister... I digress. Shady should go after that clown who threw out these lies. I'm pretty sure he could afford a top notch attorney to see that his old math teacher never see's the sunny side of his checkbook ever again. RCJ

WilburNether 6 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, unfortunately it may not be a financially sound decision for Arthur to go after a sleazeball in court. But it's possible that the teacher violated federal and/or state privacy laws, and could be prosecuted in criminal court. Let's hope so.Or at least never be hired to teach again. What school district would want someone like that?

Larry Smith 6 years, 4 months ago

I believe that most attorneys will take a civil case free of charge. They take a look at the likelyhood of winning the case and then accept or decline. They get paid on the back end. If they win, they get part of the judgement. If they lose they get nothing.