Back to 2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament coverage

2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Woodling

Woodling: Mario’s shot still goes in

I wonder how many times over the weekend Mario Chalmers nailed his famous three-point goal against Memphis.

While channel-flipping, I saw Chalmers do it twice on CBSC, the cable outlet that was telecasting an NCAA Final Four retrospective. Heck, I even watched some of Kansas University's semifinal victory over North Carolina in April at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

How often CBSC repeated those games during the weekend I have no idea, but it must have been at least a half-dozen times, which I found ironic because 20 years earlier KU fans should have been so fortunate.

After Kansas had stunned Oklahoma, 83-79, and captured the 1988 NCAA men's basketball championship, KU boosters were clamoring for tapes of the shocker over the Sooners.

To no avail. If you hadn't taped that game while it was in progress, you were out of luck. CBS owned the rights and wasn't producing any tapes for sale, which, in retrospect, was probably a marketing blunder.

Now, thanks to TiVo and other recording devices, just about everybody can watch a replay. Then came the CBSC August weekend blitz, precipitated no doubt by the desperate need to fill air time.

In the ever-growing pantheon of NCAA men's basketball championship games, the Jayhawks' 75-68 victory over Memphis will be memorable for two occurrences - Chalmers' game-tying three-pointer with :02 left in regulation, and the Tigers' late gag at the free-throw line.

Interestingly, Memphis wasn't really that bad at the charity stripe, missing seven of 19 attempts. Five years earlier, for instance, Syracuse had failed on seven of 17 free throws, yet edged Kansas, 81-78, in the NCAA title game.

Nobody talked about the Orangemen's seven bricks, however, because they won and because Kansas was even worse - much worse, in fact. KU misfired on 18 of 30 foul shots that night in the Louisiana Superdome.

Memphis' seven misses were magnified because four - three by Chris Douglas-Roberts - occurred in the last 75 seconds and enabled Kansas to wipe out a nine-point deficit.

In the meantime, Kansas made 14 of 15 free throws that April night. (Trivia question: Who was the only Jayhawk to miss a free throw against Memphis? Answer: Brandon Rush).

There's an old sports adage that everything evens out over time, and the 2003 and 2008 NCAA title games are certainly evidence of that. KU lost in '03 because of brutal free throwing and won in '08 because of deadly foul shooting.

In the same vein, you could compare Chalmers' three-pointer to Michael Lee's desperation shot from beyond the arc against Syracuse. Lee's launch was blocked by Hakim Warrick. After watching the replay of Chalmers' rainbow twice over the weekend, I'm still not sure why it wasn't rejected. Memphis defenders were all over him.

No matter how many replays show up on the tube, Chalmers' shot will always go in the hole.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch just to make sure.

Comments

Ray March 11 years, 4 months ago

i just wish they'd finally re-broadcast the games in HD!the CBSCS channel isn't in HD...

KGphoto 11 years, 4 months ago

FCS also played the games about a thousand times this week here in Colorado. As far as I could tell, they didn't cut anything at all. I put them on VHS cuz I don't have a DVR (I know, I'm a geriatric.) But I got the entirety of both Final Four games.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 4 months ago

JayCeph: The Memphis game is complete on the Final 4 DVD, but the UNC game is pretty chopped up. You asked about a season review. There is a DVD called "Rock Chalk Championship." I got mine from the KU store, I think. It's still advertised on the KUAthletics.com page (at least last time I looked). I recommend this. Bits of all the season games, a light touch on the losses, senior night coverage (including Russ Rob with a tear running down his face), decent Final Four coverage, and some after-championship things such as in Allen upon returning home and at the stadium the next day, plus some downtown celebrating. A good mix narrated by Harlan.

Kevin Kelly 11 years, 4 months ago

Tapes were never ofered in those days due to the production cost of VHS. If you wanted to produce a tape to sell you had to decide how many to make. So CBS would make 50,000 tapes charge an appropriate price. But a good amount of the cost was in the tape itself. It is expensive to buy and expensive to ship and expensive produce. If only 25,000 bought tapes then CBS is stuck with 25k of tapes they already paid to produce.Now jump to 2008. A DVD cost almost nothing to produce in money and time. If they don't sell, no problem they didn't cost anything to create in the first place. Why do you think you see the first 3 seasons of The Rockford Files on DVD but never saw that for VHS? No one wanted to gamble on getting stuck with the unused tapes.

KUbsee69 11 years, 4 months ago

bate ...That's not a double negative. A double negative makes a positive, like "I don't never watch ...".Please tell me you are not a KU alum!

WilburNether 11 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to miss Billy Packer, because he had become such a great contrary indicator.I watched a recorded replay of the championship game, and as CDR made one of his trips to the free-throw line late in the game, Packer was going on and on about how he was Conference USA Player of the Year, and First-Team All-American, and if you needed a guy to make free throws in a pressure situation, CDR was da man, and blah, blah, blah, and then.....Clank.Clank.Clank.Trouble is, his replacement is Clark Kellogg, aka Mr. Useless, a master of bland, cliche-ridden "commentary," frequently interspersed with inanity, and the occasional outburst of sheer stupidity.

5DecadeHawk 11 years, 4 months ago

JayCephI suggest you make friends with someone that has the full thing completely unedited. I'm confident that 13 Hawk(s) and many others can get it to you for free if you're willing to download it.If not, you might be able to find someone that can even burn it to DVD for you, but you better smile really nice.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 4 months ago

Shoot, I missed it. At least Mario didn't.

KGphoto 11 years, 4 months ago

njjayhawk, you find something new and insightful everyday in August. It's dead. Nada. Zilch. At least he's not stretching with some "KU's 6 degrees to Brett Favre" or something.I've got some insight though. You shouldn't quit not whining.... not.Isn't that not right jaybate?;)

JayCeph 11 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of replays, is there a better version of the game(s) of the final four than the one CBS put out? Did KU put together a comprehensive 'season in review' DVD that showcases those final two games? Just curious...I've heard so many bad things about how the games are edited and cut up on the CBS version that I was hoping that there was something else out there less 'molested.'

Ted Toulouse 11 years, 4 months ago

Disappointed in the lack of football on the LJW today...

jaybate 11 years, 4 months ago

Chuck not only had nothing to say, he said it poorly."But that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch just to make sure."--Chuck WoodlingDouble negative.Please tell me CWoodie was not paid for the story above. Please tell me he just posted it from home, when he was bored.

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 4 months ago

Hey, njjayhawk - heck ya it's still relevant. We're still the reigning champs!

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 4 months ago

The CBS DVD is a ripoff. They cut out the best ten minutes of the UNC game. I still have the cassette tapes of Bob and Max calling the final three games of the 1988 tournament. Now if I only had a cassette player:

KevinC 11 years, 4 months ago

If you've a good torrent client: UNC game (1136 x 640 resolution): http://www.sportbit.org/details.php?id=8712and the Memphis game(1280 x 720 resolution): http://www.sportbit.org/details.php?id=8738or, if you don't mind lower resolution (960x544), and want a lot smaller download (1.63 gb compared with 3.64 gb), here's another for the championship game: http://www.sportbit.org/details.php?id=8750better hurry, though, not a lot of seeders left.I've found (and downloaded) the radio broadcast of the championship game too.

bmcmich1 11 years, 4 months ago

Kevin Harlan could narrate a DVD of a 95 year old lady's trip to the grocery store and I would gladly pay top dollar for it.I love that man.

Steve Gantz 11 years, 4 months ago

Interesting article I thought unlike the gripers who never seem to like anything Mr. Woodling writes. Why don't you people just lay off the man? There was nothing wrong with the double negative he used there, in fact it was grammatically correct. Get a life.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 4 months ago

Oh yeah, I got that Rock Chalk Championship DVD with my SI package, it is awesome. Kevin Harlan rocks, I hope he takes over KU games when Bob Davis retires.I have no problem with stories about Mario's great shot and our big win. It never gets old.

WilburNether 11 years, 4 months ago

KevinC, thanks for the links. Where did you find the downloadable radio broadcast? Kusports.com is selling it on CD for 9.99. Thanks.Now that Max is gone (and thank goodness for that!), I'd be very interested to hear Chris Piper's vastly superior commentary. (And vastly superior to Billy Packer's blather, as well.)

jaybate 11 years, 4 months ago

Kubsee69,Not only am I an alum, I am an English major to boot. I want to get to the bottom of this syntactical issue, whether doing so vindicates me or proves me in error, for the good of the language, of course. I certainly see your point. A classic double negative may be exemplified by "it is not not correct." This sort of double negative is also some times called a litote, or using a double negative to soften the blow of a negative, and, unintentionally, triggering a positive (at least in logical terms). But indulge me and consider Woodling's prose again. "But that doesn't mean you shouldn't watch just to make sure."--Chuck WoodlingSans contractions: But that does NOT mean you should NOT watch just to make sure.Sheared of the first negative (what I would call the first half of this double negative): But that does mean you should not watch to make sure it goes through again.Note the assertion turns negative: you should not watch the shot again.Now, watch what happens when you remove the remaining negative: But that does mean you should watch to make sure it goes through again.Voila, the assertion turns positive: you should watch the shot again.To me, a double negative and perhaps a litote are at work here. The two "nots" create a positive. The litote is the understatement involved.Please explain how this can not not be a double negative? :-)Er, uh, what would you call this other than a double negative?I am never not open to being corrected for the good of the language. :-)

JayCeph 11 years, 4 months ago

Thanks OldAlum. I'll get one of those DVDs. I appreciate the help.

Tuskin 11 years, 4 months ago

Correction:"That does NOT mean you should NOT watch..."does not equal"That does mean you should watch..."The first can include a neutral implication - it includes the possibility that there is no conclusion that can be drawn regarding whether one ought to watch. Nonnegative can either be positive or zero.Man, is it time for basketball to start up!

JayCeph 11 years, 4 months ago

oldalum- I Just ordered the DVD from Amazon ($12 new). Thanks for the input... can't wait to relive the excitement!

scramjay 11 years, 4 months ago

I've downloaded the podcast to my computer from KFH Radio in Wichita. <www.kfhradio.com> I listen to it every chance I get. A very fresh perspective of the game compared to Billy pACCker! Someday I'm going to try and watch my TIVO and sync the podcast to my download for an even better experience.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, we can all do with less of Billy pACCker. Jaybate, why do they refer to Woodling as "Woodie", uh, dare I ask? Because of our poor early 2nd half shooting, BillsBoyz had to do everything possible to come back and win--you could say we got ourselves in the hole.But the heroics were tremendous--Sherron's steal and Robinson's kickout right back to him for the 3, Mario's Shot (not blocked because that kid can e-l-e-v-a-t-e), Shady's near-trey and top-secret 20 & 10 (Dorsey who?..), and the best and final vindication of 14-for-15 FT shooting. And how we bitched and moaned 3mos prior on this site about FT shooting. The pride I have for what this team did still brings tears. SOLID win.

meremy 11 years, 4 months ago

Agreed, this is not a double negative. Nice try by the English Major. "Doesn't" and "shouldn't" don't modify the same verb in the sentence, so there is no automatic cancellation. The fact that he's an English Major doesn't mean he doesn't know 2 and 2 is 4. See there, I left open the possibility that he doesn't know for some other reason--or even the possibility that he does. And I left open the possibility, that being an English Major has nothing to do with one's ability to do basic math, and really just means one has an inferiority complex when it comes to journalism majors. So many possibilities.

Ryan Wood 11 years, 4 months ago

I can't believe KU fans are griping about a story re-living the greatest moment in KU history.Think about that for a minute, guys.