Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Jersey prep Taylor selects KU

Even bad news from the dentist couldn't wipe the smile off Tyshawn Taylor's face Tuesday afternoon.

"I need a root canal," Taylor, a 6-foot-3 senior point guard from St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J., said in a phone interview from the doctor's office to discuss his decision to commit orally to play basketball at Kansas University. "Except for that, I'm really happy."

Taylor, who averaged 10.0 points and 5.0 assists per game for 32-0 New Jersey state champion St. Anthony, originally signed with Marquette, but recently asked out of his letter of intent. He chose the Jayhawks the second time around over runner-up Georgia Tech.

"I'm the only player who can say he's going from the high school national championship team to the college championship team. I think it's pretty cool I can say that," said Taylor, whose St. Anthony team finished No. 1 in USA Today's final rankings.

Taylor said last week's trip to KU sold him on coach Bill Self's program.

"The basketball atmosphere is crazy there. I come from a high school where basketball is everything. I'm going to a college where it's the same thing. I think that is what I need," Taylor said.

Highlights of his trip included hanging out with hosts Sherron Collins and Russell Robinson and attending a team dinner at Self's house, not to mention a special activity after dinner.

"We went down to the football field one night," he said. "We only had flashlights. Highlights from the season were played on the video board. We watched the highlights as a group. It was an unbelievable experience."

As to how soon Taylor will provide highlights at KU, veteran St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley said it should be sooner rather than later.

"He is team-oriented, a very good passer. He can penetrate and get the ball to the basket. He's a great finisher. He jumps over the top of people," Hurley said of Rivals.com's No. 77-rated player, who averaged 15.0 points a game in the state tournament including scoring 17 points off 7-of-7 shooting in the state title game.

"He's a very good defender. He guarded Tyreke Evans (6-5, American Christian High of Aston, Pa.), one of the best players in the country who was averaging 33 a game. He scored 17 against us off 21 shots. Ty will be in a place to make a name for himself at the college level. There's a big upside here."

Taylor said he'll be patient in trying to crack the rotation.

"Anywhere I'd go I'd have to compete for minutes. I wouldn't go there if I did not think I was good enough to play. I need to get stronger," the 160-pounder added. "I visited with the strength coach (Andrea Hudy), and she said it would not be a problem in me adding weight."

Taylor was able to visit with his new coach Tuesday. Self and assistant Joe Dooley were in town. They are also recruiting Taylor's junior teammate - 6-5 shooting guard Dominic Cheek, the No. 12-rated player in the Class of 2009.

"Ty and Dominic are good friends," Hurley said. "Dominic is more of a 2-3 (shooting guard-small forward). They do not play the same position. I think Kansas will remain on his list of schools."

¢ Big class: KU now has a recruiting class of seven. Taylor is joined by high schoolers Travis Releford (6-5, Roeland Park Miege), Quintrell Thomas (6-8, St. Patrick, Elizabeth, N.J.), prep-school players Marcus and Markieff Morris (6-9 and 6-10, Apex Academy, Pennsauken, N.J.) and juco players Tyrone Appleton (6-3, Midland College) and Mario Little (6-5, Chipola CC). The Jayhawks are one over the limit of 12 scholarships. Darrell Arthur is considered a likely candidate to remain in the NBA Draft, while Mario Chalmers also has declared without an agent.

¢ No letter: Taylor will sign a scholarship-aid agreement, not a letter-of-intent. Athletes are allowed to sign just one letter in their careers.

¢ Tech's good, too: It turned out to be tough for Taylor to turn down Georgia Tech, a school known for outstanding point guards. Taylor told coach Paul Hewitt he was struggling picking either KU or Tech and needed to sleep on his decision Monday night.

"Nothing against coach (Paul) Hewitt's program. They have a great team as well," Taylor said. "I just felt like Kansas was the right place for me."

¢ More on Jayhawk Invitational: The schedule for this weekend's Jayhawk Invitational AAU tournament is available at Jayhawkinvitational.com.

Some top matchups will take place Friday night in Allen Fieldhouse. KU targets Michael Dixon and Jeff Reid will lead KC Pump N Run against KU target Elijah Johnson's L.A. Pump N Run Elite team at 8:30 p.m.

KU targets Lance Stephenson and Derrick Favors will lead the Atlanta Celtics against the Las Vegas Prospects at 9:45 p.m.

At 7:15 p.m., KU target Stephen Van Treese's Indiana Elite team will meet Howard Pulley, which is led by future Minnesota player Royce White and KU target Rodney Williams, 6-5 from New Hope, Minn.

Comments

Andy Hess 11 years, 9 months ago

CJ Henry went back to baseball. Signed a new deal with the Yankees. that's old news, kid.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 9 months ago

Take it from me, Tech DOES NOT have a great program. They have been miserable since the 2004 Final Four.

Ryan Gerstner 11 years, 9 months ago

Congrats to Tyshawn! We're happy to have him as a Jayhawk! KU players would still be huge celebrities even if we did have a NBA team here and didn't win a national title.

Nutflush21 11 years, 9 months ago

So does anyone else think that Tyrel Reed will be transferring at semester or the end of next season now that weve signed Appleton AND Taylor?

Timmay97 11 years, 9 months ago

Don't forget we have Tyrel Reed and redshirt Brady Morningstar. Our backcourt is solidified, that's for sure. Our team is really shaping up to be just like what we had. We have a 5 superior guard rotation, as well as a 4 big man rotation. Bigs: Aldrich, Morris, Morris, ThomasGuards: Collins, Releford, Appleton, Little, TaylorI have no idea where Reed and Morningstar fit into this equation, but someone out of the list above is not going to be playing much next year.This is obviously assuming that Arthur and Chalmers are gone. Part of me thinks that Taylor knew (from Self) that Chalmers is staying in the draft.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 9 months ago

I don't really care who we get as long as we save a spot or two for Xavier Henry and his brother. With all the mess with people leaving and recruits coming in, I can't keep track of the number of scholarships. Can someone run down our current scholarship situation. Do we have any spaces available for next year? I'm getting a little concerned. Maybe because I can't keep track of who has a scholarship and who doesn't and who is leaving. I'm assumming as well by Taylor signing that Chalmers is pretty much staying in the Draft.

hawk_bred20 11 years, 9 months ago

I don't think this means that Chalmers is definitely staying. I think it means Arthur probably is. But as for Chalmers. If he performs well at these camps and stays in the mid-20's or moves up to the early 20's then he'll probably go. We'll see. Either way, next year will be very interesting with a few experienced guys and a lot of young talent. Should be fun, as always.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 9 months ago

Let's assume Chalmers stays in the draft, and KU remains one over the scholarship limit. What then? Does anybody know? Will one of the bench players have to give up a scholarship? How does this work?

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 9 months ago

It is my understanding that they're currently one over the limit assuming Arthur AND Chalmers return. Let's say Arthur leaves and Chalmers comes back. Then we're right at the limit of 12 for this season. Next year, Chalmers is done and Collins likely leaves, plus our limit is back at 13 (I think the sanctions are over following this season). Gives us three to give next year. I'm not sure which bench guys are on scholarships and which are walkons, but I assume if Morningstar or Buford are on scholarship, they could give it up without suffering financially.

Drew Alan 11 years, 9 months ago

if chalmers and/or arthur stays in the draft we are not one over the limit.we lost 5 scholarship players to graduation (RussRob, Kaun, Jackson, Case, Stewart), a 6th to the draft for certain (Rush, since he signed with an agent) and possibly a 7th and 8th to the draft (Arthur and Chalmers, if they both stay in the draft)Mario could come back and we would be totally fine on scholarships. From where we stand right now, it looks as though Arthur will be staying in the draft. Here is the rundown for next year.Seniors: Brennan Bechard (non-scholarship) Matt Kleinmann (NS) Mario Chalmers (if he stays)Juniors: Mario Little, Tyrone Appleton, Sherron Collins, Darrell Arthur (if he stays)Sophomores: Connor Teahan (NS), Brady Morningstar (NS), Tyrel Reed, Chase Buford (NS), and Cole AldrichFreshmen: Marcus Morris, Markieff Morris, Tyshawn Taylor, Quentin Thomas, Travis RelefordSo the only scholarship we would be gaining through graduation next year would be Chalmers. If Chalmers does end up going to the NBA draft, don't count on us filling his void. We have signed 7 quality players, and we'll want to leave that spot open for Tyshawn Taylor's best buddy Mr. Cheek. Especially if we make a strong tourney run, I can see Sherron Collins leaving after next season, since he will have been "the man" on our team next year. So that will free up another scholarship.I can't see either of the "role playing" guards (Reed, Morningstar) transferring away next year considering their upbringing and desire to be Jayhawks. (not to mention Morningstar has already used his red-shirt year, so he wouldn't be able to use it while sitting out the mandatory year at his transfer school)I CAN see one of our newcomers (specifically Mario Little) having a breakout season and leaving early, which would open up a third scholarship for next year.No matter what happens, Bill Self and his staff are recruiting wizards, and all will surely be right in Jayhawk land next year.

okjhok 11 years, 9 months ago

KU is one over the limit with Arthur and Chalmers. If both leave, KU will be one under, and would have the opportunity to use it for another late signee. There's no lack of scholarships. Self knows what he's doing. As for next years scholarships...we'll have Mario's for sure to give to Henry, and maybe Sherron's, but it looks pretty slim. The most important thing is to get Xavier, and there definitely will be one available for him. After that, I really don't know what Self has planned, but scholarships will have to be made available if he wants some of these other blue-chippers that we're hearing about.

areyouserious 11 years, 9 months ago

If Chalmers and Arthur go, KU will have one extra scholarship, if Chalmers comes back and Arthur goes, KU will be full, If both come back, somebody is getting the boot (Reed or Morningstar). We have six open scholarships, one more when Arthur goes, and possibly another if Chalmers goes. KU is fine. I see Taylor assuming the role that Reed played this year, and likely will never see morningstar on the court. I think Washburn or WSU would be a better fit for Morningstar.

Kusportsshould Notrequirethis 11 years, 9 months ago

I believe we are one over the scholarship should both Arthur and Mario RETURN to KU. If one of them stays in the draft(Arthur) then we are fine, in terms of number of scholarships.As for next year, unless Mario stays in the draft and Self recruits an 8th player, then Mario's scholarship will be available for the 2009 class. Also I believe, but am not positive, that after next year we will have an additional scholarship to award bringing our total scholys to 13. I'm pretty sure that we are currently being penalized a scholy per year for transgressions from the Roy days, where someone wanted to give graduating seniors gifts, or maybe it was for when Darnell received help from a booster long before he was a KU recruit.So, if I am remembering correctly, and assuming Self doesn't award an 8th scholy this year, then whether Mario comes back or not we will have 2 scholy's for the next 2009 class; Unless we have a transfer or Sherron goes pro, etc..., then we'll have more.Does anyone know if I am remembering correctly.

okjhok 11 years, 9 months ago

beat me to it dsmith...I agree with you about not using Mario's shollie until next year, should he stay in the draft.

okjhok 11 years, 9 months ago

Also, I wouldn't rule out Brady giving his up, but that's a topic for later.

areyouserious 11 years, 9 months ago

if that scholarship is not used, it will likely be given to Conner Teahan, just for a year!

quigley 11 years, 9 months ago

Besides Sherron, It is not lookiing too bright for existing guards because of the talent level we are starting to see come in.

Drew Alan 11 years, 9 months ago

brady morningstar already gave his scholarship up this year

not_important 11 years, 9 months ago

Anybody thought about how tough things would be for us right now if the NCAA had kept the stupid 5/8 rule (you could only bring in a maximum of 5 scholarship players one season and no more than 8 over a two year period). Two of our seven would not be coming to Lawrence next year. Overall, we would be fine, but our depth would have taken a big hit.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 9 months ago

Thanks all for the clarification. I have no doubt Self knows what he is doing. To even suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 9 months ago

The rule that allows unsigned players to withdraw from the draft puts schools in difficult situations like this. Schools have to gamble that they won't be over the limit or have to take a scholarship from someone. This needs to be fixed.

bunot 11 years, 9 months ago

we will likely have 3 schollies for 2009. (chalmers, collins, 13th schollie)hopefully given to:1. xavier henry2. dominic cheek3. derrick favors

KU 11 years, 9 months ago

Questions: 1) Is there a limit to the number of NON-scholarship players a program can have on the roster? 2) Is there a limint to the number of total players a program can have on the roster, including both scholarship and non-scholarship players?

kranny 11 years, 9 months ago

We're one over right now and okay if one guy comes back. If both Arthur and Chalmers comes back, Reed will take a red shirt(my guess).

soapboxstew 11 years, 9 months ago

Let me save all of you the suspense, Chalmers AND Darrell will be in the NBA next year. The good news is that they will join Rush in the 1st round, and we will see DJax and the mad Russian go in the second for a total of 5 players taken from this NC team to the pros.Chalmers will get a guarantee from a late pick in the 1st round. THE LATEST THAT HE WILL GO is to the Spurs. They need a back-up point guard (sorry Mr. Vaughn, but it is time for you to retire to a sunny beach) that plays D-Fence and can shoot the 3. Not to mention that he hit that 3 IN San Antonio in front of the Spurs team, coaches, and managers. We also have the GM's son on our team.HE IS GONE. We should wish him the best when he makes it official.

63Jayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

dsmith84, where did you learn that Morningstar has given up his scholarship. I've read no such thing. Asking to red shirt does not mean giving up the shcolarship as far as I know. I don't think we would have all of these freshman football players red shirting if they were giving up their scholarship for that year. In 2009-2010 the number of KU BB scholarships goes from 12 to 13. Remember, we lost one sholarship for the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 seasons because of the Darnell Jackson violation. We get that scholarship back beginning in the 2009-2010 season. So, even if Chalmers goes to the NBA and Bill Self were to give out one more scholarship this year, we would still have one scholarship available for Henry, Wall or whomever. If coach Self does not give out any more scholarships this year (stays at seven), there will be at least two scholarships available for the 2009 high school grads.

didjabuti 11 years, 9 months ago

I think there is a limit on total players, at least for away games. I believe LJW mentioned it in a story this year. 3 or 4 players took turns with 2 of them traveling with the team.....or not. I could be way off.

rockchalkAZ 11 years, 9 months ago

i love people like soapboxstew who have inside information and know things for a fact. are you mario chalmers himself? i know chances are great he leaves, but he still might come back. don't tell me it isn't at least possible, cause it is.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Wow, I feel like I read the same thing 12 times in a row. I'm glad so many of you are educated to the scholarship situation, but talk about redundant....ohioburg, I definitely understand were you are coming from; it does make it more difficult for the schools to figure out their recruiting plans. However, I think the rule is the best way to do it. While it makes it more difficult for the school, it makes it easier for the student to figure out his choices and not screw up his life. Too many collegiate athletes have left early only not to find a contract and not be able to return to school. This rule allows for them to see what they're options are without risking everything. It favors what collegiate athletics are supposed to actually be for: the student-athlete.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Woops, I meant "...their options..." Misuse of there, their, they're is a pet peeve of mine and I did it anyway. Sorry all.

okjhok 11 years, 9 months ago

All the mock drafts I've seen list Mario in the 2nd round. These guys don't know the future, but it's their job to know more than we do. Looks to me like Mario is far from a first round lock. Isn't that the only way he stays in the draft? If so, how can anyone assume that he won't be back next year? Someone please tell me where my logic is off.

tis4tim 11 years, 9 months ago

Their they're, LAJayhawk...it's okay. We forgive you :D

Gary Bedore 11 years, 9 months ago

Gary Bedore 11 years, 9 months ago

Hi folks, You can have as many players as you want on the team, but just 15 can travel to Big 12 road games. You don't want to have more than 17 because there's really no room for them to sit even at home games. The benches don't stretch that long. In the NCAA there was a further limit of total numbers of players and coaches who could sit on the bench, so Teahan and Kleinmann were the only walk ons to dress with Brennan, Chase and Witherspoon sitting in the stands. As far as the scholly situation Chicago Jhawk got it right in the above post. C'mon out to Crown at 4:30 today. I'll be there to check out the good cause.Upon further review ...Oops as far as Chicago's post .. Buford is not on scholly. He's a walk on. Other than that, I believe his post was correct

Gary Bedore 11 years, 9 months ago

Hi folks, You can have as many players as you want on the team, but just 15 can travel to Big 12 road games. You don't want to have more than 17 because there's really no room for them to sit even at home games. The benches don't stretch that long. In the NCAA there was a further limit of total numbers of players and coaches who could sit on the bench, so Teahan and Kleinmann were the only walk ons to dress with Brennan, Chase and Witherspoon sitting in the stands. As far as the scholly situation Chicago Jhawk got it right in the above post except for the fact Buford is a walk on. Buford is not on schollie. C'mon out to Crown at 4:30 today. I'll be there to check out the good cause.

KU 11 years, 9 months ago

LAJayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 9 months ago

LA, I didn't mean they need to rescind allowing them to come back. I agree whole-heartedly it's a good rule. I meant they need to come up with something that allows the school to know what they're getting into. Something like (and I know this has holes in it) allowing you to go over the limit by one if everyone comes back but you have to be under by one the next year.

Gary Bedore 11 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the info, Gary. So under "normal" circumstances you can have 13 scholarship players and as many NON-scholarship players as you would like?--Yep, that's it.Posted by LAJayhawk (anonymous) on April 30, 2008 at 4:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)Thanks tis4tim...And Gary, thank you for continuing the redundancy trend.... did you do that on purpose?--No, I've never posted before and I tried to edit it when I realized he said Buford was a scholarship player.Why don't you others post your real names like I do? Just asking.

tdub 11 years, 9 months ago

My recap of all these posts:I know a lot about KU scholarshipsI know a lot about KU scholarshipsI know a lot about KU scholarshipsSame thing over and over againSame thing over and over againSame thing over and over again

Ed Fox 11 years, 9 months ago

Frankly Gary, it's really not that safe to post your real name on the internet. There are too many risks associated. That issue is less than relevant for you since your real name is on your byline, but most of us just don't see a reason. Now, since KUSports has a registration system, someone (Ryan?) has our email addresses and our IP addresses are surely in a vault there somewhere in case we need to be tracked down.

Ed Fox 11 years, 9 months ago

And oh yeah, Gary, you should feel free to post more regularly here. There are frequently questions that you could add additional insight into. It's fun when Ryan engages during his blogging, every now and again there may be things in comments that you could help with.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

Gary,Understand. Mine was an attempt at humor toward the fact that a great majority of the posts today basically all said the same thing. And then the repeat of yours just seemed rather ironic. The joke probably came off as a bit superior. Sorry about that. I enjoyed the info, though. Thanks for that. I actually really like it when the writers get involved in the comments. Makes it much more interesting and lively. Keep it up.Oh, and I have no reason for not using my name. Guess it's just the internet second persona thing.

smitty33 11 years, 9 months ago

I love the photo galleries posted on the left. Especially the parade and post-parade celebration. I never heard, who won Mr. Jayhawk? RusRob again? Were there any other awards?

Gary Bedore 11 years, 9 months ago

You said: "The joke probably came off as a bit superior. Sorry about that. I enjoyed the info, though. Thanks for that. I actually really like it when the writers get involved in the comments. Makes it much more interesting and lively. Keep it up."--No problem. I tried to edit my post and voila I made the same post appear three times.I may post some comments for a while and see how it goes.You said: "it's really not that safe to post your real name on the internet. There are too many risks associated. That issue is less than relevant for you since your real name is on your byline, but most of us just don't see a reason."-- I never thought of the risks. I guess you are right about that. Sometimes I get frustrated by some of the "meaner" comments (not by you) and even some obscene comments that I think might go away if people had to sign their names. I think there might be a more reasonable discourse on the message boards if people signed their own names, but I could be mistaken.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 9 months ago

There is some truth to that, Gary, but ultimately unless LJW is willing to have posters submit to an elaborate identity screening, the anonymous posts will continue. More than anything its a shame due to the random mizzou fans that like to rattle cages (notice that has significantly declined since the championship?... of course, wait till football starts). Clearly people feel a safety behind their computer monitors that isn't likely to disappear now that we are fully engrossed in the information age.Personally, I can appreciate the negative comments when they are based in the reality of the situation and not simply an obscene slam for the sake of putting someone down (although I will admit to the occasional knock at Mr. Mayer's age being reflected in his opinion pieces... I am an imperfect being). Honestly, I feel these boards serve their purpose when people are allowed to speak their minds freely. Putting up with an occasional "mean" or obscene comment is clearly more acceptable than enduring some form of Orwellian Thought Police.Once again, though, Gary, continue the posts and encourage your co-workers to do the same. The more the writers are involved the less hurtful the comments will become.

areyouserious 11 years, 9 months ago

soo bawls has a real name......its No-balls