Originally published April 29, 2008 at 11:46a.m., updated April 29, 2008 at 01:31p.m.

Tyshawn Taylor commits to KU

Tyshawn Taylor, a 6-foot-3 senior point guard from St. Anthony HIgh School in Jersey City, N.J., today orally committed to Kansas University.

Taylor, who defines himself as a "winner," said he simply could not pass up the opportunity to play for coach Bill Self's Jayhawks, who earlier this month won the 2008 NCAA championship.

"I'm the only player who can say he's going from the high school national championship team to the college championship team. I think it's pretty cool I can say that," Taylor said Tuesday after orally committing to

KU over Georgia Tech.

Taylor, who led St. Anthony to a 32-0 record and USA Today's mythical national championship, recently was released from his letter-of-intent with Marquette

after coach Tom Crean bolted the Milwaukee school for Indiana.

"I'm really happy," said Taylor, who averaged 10 points and five assists a game in leading St. Anthony to the Jersey state title. "My visit to Kansas (last week) was incredible. The basketball atmosphere is crazy there. I come from a high school where basketball is everything. I'm going to a college where it's the same thing. I think that is what I need."

Taylor chose KU over runnerup Georgia Tech.

"Nothing against coach (Paul) Hewitt's program. They have a great team as well," Taylor said. "I just felt like Kansas was the right place for me. Coach (Bill) Self and all the coaches and the players made me feel comfortable. People there are still celebrating the championship. It's something I want to be part of.

"I think I can come in and compete for playing time," he added. "I would not have chosen Kansas if I didn't think I could play. But whatever school I chose, I'd

have to earn it."

St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley was thrilled for Taylor. "He just informed me he's ready to join the Jayhawks," Hurley said. "This is a very unusual situation. Here's a kid who played for the national championship team in high school going to the national champions in college. I know he's very excited and we're excited for him."

Taylor, who will sign a financial aid agreement upon arriving at KU (players can only once sign a letter of intent), said he'll be attending the first session of summer school.

----------11:46 a.m.----------

Taylor, who averaged 10 points and five assists a game in leading St. Anthony to the Jersey state title, chose KU over Georgia Tech.

Taylor visited KU last week after receiving a release from his Marquette letter of intent.

"He just informed me he's ready to join the Jayhawks," St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley said today. "This is a very unusual situation. Here's a kid who played for the national championship team in high school going to the national champions in college. I know he's very excited and we're excited for him."

This commitment bumps the 2008 KU class up to seven names, with as many as eight scholarships open, depending on what Mario Chalmers and Darrell Arthur decide in terms of the NBA Draft. Both have already entered their names into the draft pool, but neither has signed with an agent.

For more on this story as it develops, stay tuned to KUSports.com and pick up Wednesday's Journal-World.

2008 KU recruiting class

Tyshawn Taylor - 6-3, 160, G, Jersey City, N.J. (St. Anthony's HS)

Tyrone Appleton 6-3, 195, G, Gary, Ind. (Harmony Prep/Midland (Texas) College)

Mario Little 6-5, 210, G/F, Chicago, Ill. (Washington HS/Chipola (Fla.) CC)

Marcus Morris 6-8 1/2, 220, F, Philadelphia, Pa. (Prep Charter HS/APEX Academy (N.J.))

Markieff Morris 6-10, 230, F/C, Philadelphia, Pa. (Prep Charter HS/APEX Academy (N.J.))

Travis Releford 6-5, G/F, Roeland Park, Kan. (Roeland Park Miege HS)

Quintrell Thomas 6-8, 235, F, Elizabeth, N.J. (Saint Patrick HS)

Comments

Roadkill_Rob 6 years, 6 months ago

Sweet!!!! Coach Self rules! Commence the dynasty.

ChicagoJHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

If Self continues to get the recruits that he's got, and continues to improve as a coach we'll have at least 1 or 2 more national championships!Can't wait till bball season starts again. Rock Chalk!!!

KanKu 6 years, 6 months ago

Are there enough scholarships to get any of the big-time prospects from the class of 2009?

Shazam 6 years, 6 months ago

It's going to be interesting to see how having seven new players shapes the team next year. Self has his work cut out for himself, but he's setting things up nicely to be in a great position the next couple of seasons.

Michael Auchard 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, this commitment makes me wonder if the KU insiders know something we don't know about Chalmers and D Arthur. I guess I should just thank them for what they did and move on, but I really thought there was a chance at least one of them would come back. Neither of them project for sure where they want to go... whatever, we're the national champions. I guess the rest is just details at the end of the day. It would be really amazing to get to see Chalmers wear the jersey that says Kansas on the front for another season with Collins, though.

killabees 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, I'm pretty sure Arthur will stay in the draft. I don't think Self will offer another scholarship even if Chalmers goes too. I think Self will save it for next season. He'll have 2-3 schollies left for next year to go after Henry and others.

David Robinett 6 years, 6 months ago

Recruits from Chicago, Philly & Jersey are a great way to build teams with toughness - and that's what it takes to win championships!

cobweb 6 years, 6 months ago

This is why Self will never go to the pros. You can't recruit in the pros which is where he gets his advantage. Also, he's making pro type money now. Unless he gets a piece of the team from the Lakers or is caught with a coed, looks like we have him for a while.

smitty33 6 years, 6 months ago

Stupid Psycho-T and Collison... that's 2 more spots Chalmers will move up. Funny if Green gets drafted from UNC... as a 6th man! He's scary good. I'd rather play Hansbarough again than Green. We have the anti-Psycho-T: Aldrich!!

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 6 months ago

Man, what a recruiting class! Just think how good these guys could be 3 years from now!

jcsmith 6 years, 6 months ago

If we have to play UNC next season, I think the Morris twins will put Hansborough on lockdown. Theres nothing greater then watchin hungry young kids feeding off overrated egos. Hansboroughs not going pro cause he knows hes a flop in the league. They'de eat him alive.Mr. Taylor, its time to lace up your tennies son. Your now playin for the greatest team in history, and the national champions. Welcome aboard.

actorman 6 years, 6 months ago

It is truly amazing how good a recruiter Self is. It seems like he almost NEVER doesn't get the player he wants. Things just keep getting better and better! (I also love it that we now have Tyrel, Tyrone and Tyshawn on the team. There must be a Tyson out there somewhere.)

actorman 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey, I own up to when I'm wrong, and I said that Self teams consistently didn't show poise down the stretch. I think that was still true against Davidson (although they escaped with great defense), but there's no question they showed tremendous poise against Memphis. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

quigley 6 years, 6 months ago

Some people did bitch a lot about Self during the year, and that was too bad. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that everyone who had something negative to say after that loss is a "dumbass" The reason for that is the fact that the PLAYERS themselves had a meeting after that game to get focused again. Gladly, the fans and the players never again had anything to bitch about for the rest of the season.

areyouserious 6 years, 6 months ago

Lebowski: Well Said...........soobawls might be the biggest boner on this site, I have called him out multiple times for the same thing! But remember he is from Manlumbia!

LAJayhawk 6 years, 6 months ago

quigley, you are correct that many people had some "unhappy" comments that were based in the reality of the situation. And they made comments about things they wanted to see changed and corrected in the game play. In my opinion, that's totally acceptable.On the other hand, Lebowski, it's funny you brought that up, because the day after the OSU loss, I went through all the comments and pulled out about 10 or 12 that I felt needed to be pointed out at the end of the season. For some reason, deep down I knew that we'd be in a position to do great things at the end of the year, and I wanted to point out the bandwagon jumping, and the hypocrisy of some of these so-called "fans." Ultimately, when we won on the 7th, I decided to stay positive and not bring that into the celebration. But I totally agree, some of these people need to be called out.I do feel the need, however, to point out that a great majority of those who post on here are great fans with excellent insight. I enjoy reading the comments whenever I have the extra time. actorman, you and I had a civil disagreement about that very point you stated above, and that is the fun of posting: discussing how different fans perceive the situation.Oh, and great pickup with Taylor. I guess I should actually comment about the article.....

JayhawkPurist 6 years, 6 months ago

Taylor's signing is further evidence that KU's credibility and appeal is on the rise in the northeast.Not sure who made the observation the other day, but I agree that Self's strategy seems to be to stock up on 4-star recruits one year, and then grab a one or two 5-star recruits the next (and then repeat the sequence) so as to have a very deep, high quality "floor" of talent that will stick around for at least 3 years and provide program stability, yet have a few guys who might leave early but who are necessary to get make KU an elite team. This way KU enjoys the benefit of being a national title contender every couple years, but is never hurt too bad when guys leave early. I could be off, but maybe not. Anybody agree?You have to give it to Self and his staff for doing a great job of not just finding raw talent, but finding guys that are coachable and have a good attitude. It's not about loading up with as many 5-star recruits as you can get (which is what Carolina seems to be doing the last two or three years), it's about putting together a puzzle, and having the foresight to do it well.I see SI.com bumped KU out of its Top 15 rankings, assuming that both Arthur and Chalmers will not be back. Probably a reasonable move. No matter, though. Preseason rankings are pretty much useless, and besides, it's the journey that counts.

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 6 months ago

OK, I went back to look at my comments...I still stick by them. I just questioned the team's energy level (at the time) and said we needed more leadership...on the player-level not coaching-level. As quigley pointed out, the "ship righted itself" after the players decided it was time to have a meeting.

digitalkookie 6 years, 6 months ago

coming out of hurley's st anthony's program bodes well for this kid. not only does hurley produce winners, he puts out kids who are driven by success, kids with character and for the most part class (i will make no mention of my opinion of his son here though).welcome aboard mr taylor great pick up by self...kudos on another job well done!!!!

wtarush 6 years, 6 months ago

I TOTALLY agree Lebaowski!!! Look even further back and see all the posts when Self lost in the first round of the NCAA's. It is amazing how some KU "fans" were wanting his head... so easily forgotten that he was the Big XII Coach of the year the same year (05/06) he took his second first round out. It seems in fair weather that many forget their questionable fanhood. Win or lose... Rock Chalk!!!

Joe Ross 6 years, 6 months ago

Lebowski...Wow! I think I have to respond on this one. I think use of the term "dumbasses" is inflammatory. I agree with another poster who says, basically, that there WERE problems with the team that needed fixing at that point in the season, and people RIGHTLY were talking about it. (There is no doubt that if we played Memphis like we played Oklahoma State we would have lost). Don't you agree?Considering what I just said, it's a whole lot easier to be critical when you have the advantage of hindsight, isnt it? Whereas you have the benefit of knowing what the outcome of the season was, many posters were writing out of concern with eyes to the future and seeing nothing but question marks. And let's face the facts: a team's performance in conference play IS significant! A resume for the NCAA tournament is built during the course of the season. It was Memphis' EARLY wins that got them a number one seed, for example, and NOT anything they did subsequently in their conference. Those wins came LONG before Kansas' game with Oklahoma State. So you cant call early games (or middle games for that matter) "entirely insignificant". IIsn't this true?I think for a while there, the gap between reasonable criticism and the "sky-is-falling mentality" was narrowing. This is acceptable in times when the team's play warrants reevaluation. When a team who goes 20-0 suddenly gets on a losing streak, rising voices of concern are to be expected. I also agree with the poster who characterizes MOST people here as being reasonably-minded. And remember: reasonable minds should be free to disagree.I've always considered YOU a reasonable fellow. We just disagree on this point.

Joe Ross 6 years, 6 months ago

A couple of points, for the sake of full disclosure. I was one of those people who voiced concern over this team's play, especially after the OSU loss! My points-of-view were very pessimistic.When we were going through our losing streak (which was not really a "streak"), I did NOT think then--nor do I think now--that Bill Self was to blame more than the players.

JayCeph 6 years, 6 months ago

jross... nicely put. Temperance is a hat best worn by all.

smitty33 6 years, 6 months ago

Lebowski, great topic. I too went back and looked at old posts. Jross, I don't mind people who have constructive criticism. It's the people who wanted Bill fired or saying this 'team is going to bomb' in the tourney that drove me nuts this year. That said, I don't think you were too negative. Something we all agree upon is that soobawls is a freakin idiot who I hope never returns to this site.Now to toot my own horn... I predicted a return of our 'swagger' against KSU and a good chance at a Final 4 run. From then on our Defense was on another level and we played to win. I had fun looking back at the Texas game in KC. Wow did Mario tear it up. I'm thinking his chances of going pro are 50%. you?

Joel Hood 6 years, 6 months ago

I hope all this love and perspective sticks around through next year, because no matter how good the new guys are now, we will lose a lot more games in 2009 than 2008. Some of these 7 new guys will ultimately be disappointments (remember CJ?) and there will be 5 returning guys also fighting for playing time. I think 2009 will be a lot like 2006 - ugly losses from a young and inexperienced team that is trying to figure out its identity.

afilmer 6 years, 6 months ago

so not to be a "dumbass" - but i worry about the quality of this year's recruiting class. i know that we've got a lot of players, but we don't have the usual sprinkling in of mcdonald's all american types. i don't believe you need the title to be the best, but it just seems like maybe we've been beaten off the line this off-season.

BrockIII 6 years, 6 months ago

I am excited about this kid and I expect him to turn into a very valuable player and key contributor in the rotation in 2-3 years and I understand Self is desperate for players with so many immediate vacancies, but we are really loading up. We have 5-6 guards on the roster next year. Wow. I hope this does not affect our 2009 class. We need a great class, i.e. Henry, Johnson, and maybe another elite wing or big.

Kevin Long 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure Self knows what he is doing, but only 10 points a game!??? How can you only average 10 points and come to KU? Chalmers and those guys averaged about 20 in high school. I guess we will see.

KU 6 years, 6 months ago

klong......Don't be alarmed. Chalmers scored 20per against substandard competition in Alaska as probably the only kid on the floor deserving of a D1 scholarship. Taylor played in a program that has probably 50% of its kids recruited to play in college. He didn't need to score 20 a night for them to go undefeated. Besides that, they played top-notch competition in their area and some cross-sectional HS match-ups against top teams.Self knows what he's looking for. I wouldn't have traded Russ Rob for anybody and he didn't exactly burn up the nets in college. He played great defense and ran the show. From what I can gather, this kid is a taller Russ Rob. If he turns out as well as Russ, I'll take him.

KU 6 years, 6 months ago

Having said that, Taylor DOES need to put on about 25 pounds of muscle or he'll struggle. He's 6'3 and 160!!!!

100 6 years, 6 months ago

Thiis kid is very good. Especially at: Defense, defense, defense. Great job Coach!

Drew Bender 6 years, 6 months ago

A lot of you may be forgetting that two of this years recruits will be juniors next season... If DA and Mario stay in the draft it will still leave us with two extra scholarships for next season... Also with Sherron possibly leaving, there is another... Are Kleinmann and Bechard still walk-ons or do they have rides???

JayViking 6 years, 6 months ago

Who cares about the bitching. WOOOHOOOOO TAYLOR!!

actorman 6 years, 6 months ago

Good point, ESU. And to add to that, not only will two be juniors, but they are the number 1 and 3 Juco players in the nation! I would think that would certainly be comparable to (if not even better than) being a McDonald's All-American in high school. Besides, I don't think it makes sense for any of us to question Bill Self's recruiting methods at this point. He has more than proven that he knows what he's doing.I can see both sides of the "regular season is meaningless" debate. I do think that a lot of people vastly overestimate the importance of a loss (or even a few losses) in the regular season. But you also can't call them meaningless, for a couple of reasons:(1) it affects the seeding for the tournament (as jross pointed out re Memphis). People often say the seed isn't that important (and Bobby Knight rambled on endlessly about it, showing that he's more ignorant than he's been given credit for), but that's simply not true. As has been shown numerous times, there is a direct connection between the seed and the chances of advancing. The only time that the odds of winning are not in the same order as the seeds is that the 9 has won slightly more than the 8, which is basically a wash. So although seeding may not matter on an individual basis, in the overall scheme of things it DOES matter.(2) Although one or two games don't mean that much by themselves, the regular season can be looked at more seriously if a pattern develops over time. When something happens over and over, that can make a regular season game more meaningful, because you can read into it that it might also be the way the team will play in the postseason. That is what I (erroneously) thought after the OSU game.The above being said, I agree with Lebowski's basic premise of this thread, that the people like Soobawls have been shown up to be complete idiots. There's something seriously wrong with anyone who thought that a coach who had won 80% of his games and the majority of possible conference titles should be fired. That's simply not having a grasp of reality. Then again, has anyone seen a single word from Soobawls since the championship? I strongly suspect that he was a mildcat or tigger in Jayhawk clothing.

hawkitup 6 years, 6 months ago

KU stole exactly what I was going to say. I compare the kid to Robinson off of this year's team. Not exactly a big scorer, but he was/is a tough defensive minded player who controlled the court. If Taylor ends up being a bigger Russell Robinson, then we're in pretty good shape.

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 6 months ago

Agreed, hawkitup. I've heard multiple comparisons of Taylor to RussRob. We can definitely use another player like RussRob!!!!

truehawkfan 6 years, 6 months ago

I like the kid. He is a winner, and has played for a very successful high school team. That kind of experience is going to fit in nicely.

kranny 6 years, 6 months ago

Jayhawk Purist,I think it's coincidental about the recruiting of 4 and 5 star recruits. I think Self recruits players that fit the system and the type of recruits that he likes. He likes tough, hard-nosed players who are athletic. If the ones he likes are 4 stars, so be it. But I seriously doubt that HCBS is saying to his assistants, "Okay, let's only go after 4 star recruits this year and then 5 star recruits next year.

dylans 6 years, 6 months ago

It is only natural that a true fan be as upset with a loss as he/she is happy with a win. But calling for Bill's head is a bit extreme wouldn't you say? In hindsight.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

RusRob became something quite remarkable, when he went on the weight machines and filled out. He had a baby face, but he could really body other guards.But I don't recall RR being as wiry as Taylor.Let's not compare him to RR.Let's let Taylor become the best Taylor he can be.Good news: lots of taller guards, who seem quick, mean we will not be married to the pick and roll the way we were this year. It only makes sense to play P&R with short guards, and it has a lot of strengths, but it will be better strategically not to HAVE to play it..Bad news: None of these new guards combine the magic combo of this years guards--great defenders who are either exceptional outside shooters, or at least good. Even RR got to where he could hoist the three at key times. We're spoiled from that combo.

kranny 6 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate,How can you possibly know at this time that the new guards don't have the magic combination that is on par with this year's guards.? Why don't we let them take the floor and play together for a year or two. It took this year's team 2 years to get used to each other. Quite frankly I'm excited to watch the "changing of the guard".

PayHeedAll 6 years, 6 months ago

p>ESPN.com has Tyshawn Taylor at 6'2'' and 185. Scout.com has him at 6'2'' 170. Hmmm...Also on Scout.com he says "Coach (Self) says he'd like to use me like a Russell Robinson type guard and that he liked that I was big a physical." No way this guy is a buck-sixty.

100 6 years, 6 months ago

After all is accounted for, juco players included, and especially with the morris brothers, this very well could be the nation's number 1 recruiting class.

Dale Kroening 6 years, 6 months ago

WTG Coach Self!This is starting to look like an unbelievable class.No 5-star 1 and dones,but now 5 4-star recruits along with the #1 and #3 juco players in the nation.Can you say reload?And from what I keep hearing is the Morris twins are better than most think.I love it.Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

cobweb 6 years, 6 months ago

Chalmers makes the shot, Self's a genius and gets a big raise. Chalmers misses the shot, Self chokes in the big games and is a bum. What a business!