Monday, April 28, 2008

McClinton to try out with Chiefs

Former Kansas University defensive tackle James McClinton will attend the Kansas City Chiefs' rookie minicamp this weekend on a tryout basis, according to his agent Kevin Robinson.

McClinton is hoping to show off his skills and possibly land a free-agent deal soon after.

"He's pretty excited," Robinson said. "He's looking forward to it."

The Jayhawks had four players selected in the NFL Draft this weekend. A fifth, fullback Brandon McAnderson, agreed to a free-agent deal with the St. Louis Rams on Sunday.

Comments

quigley 12 years, 9 months ago

Jay85-I'm not so sure, I think that James has got some big time talent. I love that they are giving him a shot, and would not be surprised to see him on the chiefs next year.

HawkFanEddie 12 years, 9 months ago

If he makes the team, I am buying that jersey.

jayhawker85 12 years, 9 months ago

This is the worst place for McClinton to go. With Glenn Dorsey, five other current DT's on the Chiefs on the roster, making a spot on the roster will be tough. The Chiefs also picked up two other undrafted DT's, Derek Lokey (Texas) and Johnny Dingle (West Virginia).He'll have to beat out six guys on the roster now and compete with another two. Doesn't look like a good spot for him.

JBurtin 12 years, 9 months ago

You forget, McClinton has God on his side.Never hurts to have powerful friends. lolI seriously think that he'll pull deep from that inner strength that we all saw in his time here. I expect that he'll raise some eyebrows in his workouts. He's as much of a force to be reckoned with as Dorsey when he's feeling good. Remember that he was the main pass rushing threat for a 12-1 football team. It's not like he had pure pass rushing DE's to pull the tackles away from him. Every team knew he was coming, and every team failed to stop him. I think the seizures have probably scared off a few teams, but I think we can all agree that he is a kid with a great future whether it be in football or not. Of all the players on our roster, he is the least of my worries, he'll do just fine.

DSommersby 12 years, 9 months ago

I am with JBurtin. Big Game James is on a mission from God, and I will be pulling for him all the way. Some of these guys already on the Chiefs roster are stiffs. J-Mac just lacks their years in the league and overcomes his size and experience with wonderful heart. He is coming from leading a 12-1 BCS defense. Remember all your teachings from the guru Bill Young J-Mac! #93 was so much fun to watch at KU. He battled and fought every single play, and I hope he can overcome the odds and show the Chiefs what a winner is!

HawkFanEddie 12 years, 9 months ago

I'm not sure this is the worst place for him. Keep in mind that this is the NFL. Everyone is really, really, really good. Everyone was a star in college. If you are an undrafted rookie free agent you are going to have to work your butt off to make any team in the league. But the Chiefs definately need help at DT. If he could just get on the practice squad, he could work his way onto the active roster. Hopefully is works out for both sides. Good luck J-Mac!