Thursday, April 24, 2008

McAnderson expects to get shot at pros

Brandon McAnderson

Brandon McAnderson

Lawrence High football coach Dirk Wedd received a vow from Brandon McAnderson, his former pupil, that he hopes is fulfilled this weekend.

"Sunday night," Wedd said, "he promised to call me."

By then, McAnderson will have a better idea of what his future holds. The former LHS and Kansas University running back hopes to get selected on the second day of the NFL Draft on Sunday and figures to get a free-agent offer Sunday night if he's not picked.

"I feel pretty good," McAnderson said. "I know I'm going to have an opportunity, and that's all you can ask for."

NFL franchises rarely leave a stone unturned, and digging deep means there's notable interest in the 6-foot, 235-pounder.

McAnderson's contributions to one of KU's best-ever football teams certainly padded his resume. In just 190 carries, McAnderson rushed for 1,125 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2007, helping Kansas to a 12-1 record.

He worked primarily as a single back his last season at KU, but he projects as a fullback at the next level. NFL.com views McAnderson as a player who could find a spot in the professional ranks.

"Blessed with good size for the switch to fullback," the Web site writes, "McAnderson has flashed the toughness and strength to successfully make the transition to a more traditional fullback role."

McAnderson was KU's special-teams MVP in 2006.

"If you watch him on tape, he's an NFL football player," Wedd said. "He can run the football, he can catch the football, he loves special teams, he can block his tail off. More importantly, he's a team player. He'll find a way to help his team win."

Comments

HawkFanEddie 12 years, 11 months ago

Chiefs need a fullback. We've signed about 25 this off season but I'd love to see B-Mac playing at Arrowhead.

FlaHawk 12 years, 11 months ago

Fullbacks are a dime a dozen in the NFL. This means they have littel draft value, but as freee agents can last a long time in the NFL, if they can prove themselves.Go Brandon!

HawkDigestCom 12 years, 11 months ago

It was an awesome career for B-Mac. I'll be rooting for him this weekend. He deserves it and in my opinion he will find his way to the field in the NFL.

justanotherfan 12 years, 11 months ago

I agree with FlaHawk. B-Mac may not get drafted, but he could sign on as a free agent and have a long and productive career. His ability on special teams will get him in the door, and his unselfishness will keep him around for years to come.

CaramelMacchMan 12 years, 11 months ago

I heard D. Fine might end up playing in NFL too.

DSommersby 12 years, 11 months ago

B-Mac is simply a flat out winner. The guy does the job where ever you put him. Some NFL team is going to get a real football player. He has contributed in so many ways at KU. Good luck B-Mac!!!

sevenyearhawk 12 years, 11 months ago

I seem to recall that the Jets were interested in Fine ...B Mac will do well, I am certain of it! :D

DCJayhawk0208 12 years, 11 months ago

B-Mac reminds me a lot of Brandon Jacobs' playing style. Started out as a fullback but then Coughlin realized Jacobs does anything to get yards. Mac is the same way. Jacobs is a bit bigger (6'3" 260), but Mac could fit that mold rather well.

prairie_dog 12 years, 11 months ago

"McAnderson said the Steelers and Texans had shown the most interest, and Wedd said several teams have inquired about McAnderson's prep days at LHS."But not the Chiefs, apparently. Lucky for Brandon. I would hate to see him stuck with our loser team.

William James 12 years, 11 months ago

No NFL team that flys Missouris state flag at thier stadium is a team of mine. I enjoyed watching the Chiefs and Rams last year, what an embarrasment for the state of Missouri.

12 years, 11 months ago

"It'll be a cold day in hell before I recognize Missourah as a state!"- Abe Simpson

JBurtin 12 years, 11 months ago

The actual wording is:"I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah!"- Abe Simpson

12 years, 11 months ago

JBurtin - the take I cited was in a bootleg best-of DVD. It was deemed too edgy for the regular episode :0)

CasperCorps 12 years, 11 months ago

Good fullbacks are hard to come by in the NFL.. Just ask the Chiefs.. Their running game went to .... when Tony Richardson left.. Tomlinson is lucky to have his..