Back to 2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament coverage

2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Monday, April 14, 2008

Championship spurs thousands to preserve newspaper copies

photo

Feature

2008 NCAA Tournament

Get your March Madness fix at KUSports.com.

Tens of thousands of Jayhawk fans picked up extra copies of the Journal-World last week, seeking a memento of the national championship win.

Someday, though, those newspapers will fade and disintegrate. It's just a matter of how long.

"You're putting off the inevitable," says Tyra Grant, head of preservation for Kansas University libraries. "You're postponing it."

Here are some tips from Grant to keep those newspapers looking as good as possible for as long as possible:

¢ The reasons newspapers fade and disintegrate is their high acid content. So make sure anything that comes into contact with the newspaper is acid-free, so you don't add to the problem.

She says acid-free, full-sheet-size folders are available from craft stores and other companies. Also, there are newspaper-sized boxes that will allow you to store the large folders inside them.

¢ Don't store your newspaper folded.

¢ Light causes the newsprint to yellow, so store newspapers in a dark place. Also, make sure they're stored in a location that's fairly cool - 65 degrees or lower is ideal - and under 50 percent or 60 percent humidity, to prevent mold.

¢ If you do want to display your newspaper, Grant says to make sure it's with acid-free paper for backing. Also, keep it out of UV light. To be extra safe, she suggests using UV-filtering glass.

Copies of Tuesday's paper, which cost $1, are available at the Journal-World, 609 N.H.

Comments

MOJHawk 13 years, 9 months ago

My only question is did the LJW do a good job on the issue? It's sad I even have to ask that question. Aw, what the heck...even cardboard with crayon is priceless as long as it says "2008 National Champion Kansas Jayhawks!!!"

Aaron Gaddis 13 years, 9 months ago

Anybody know if laminating them will prevent the fading of color?

jayhawkalum 13 years, 9 months ago

I understand that lamination is not a good idea. Newsprint off-gasses and anything that traps those gasses in with the paper actually speeds decomposition. The best bet to preserve something like this is to make a full-page color copy on acid-free paper and frame that.

Aaron Gaddis 13 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the info, JAYHAWKALUM...much appreciated.

Chicago_JHawk 13 years, 9 months ago

Beware the ljworld website for ordering...I placed an order last week and logged in today to check the status. I was taken to someone else's login page! After logging out and back in a couple times, I was able to view my order, but there were two more orders shown for me, as well. My guess is their system is overwhelmed and is doing some strange things. I emailed them regarding the extra orders (haven't heard anything back yet), but from what I was able to tell from other people's accounts that I viewed, as well as my own saved data that I could see, credit card info is NOT stored and cannot be viewed by anyone. Or so I hope...

JayCeph 13 years, 9 months ago

No. Laminating will only keep (delay) oxygen from getting to the paper. The paper will still 'yellow' and fade if exposed to direct UV light (this goes for reflected light bouncing around a room with large windows).Try to keep the laminated paper on an inside wall (hallway, stairway, etc.) and that should help prolong the life the image.

NH_JHawk 13 years, 9 months ago

Chicago_JHawk -I just had the same problem as you. I used ebbenji's link above and was able to view someone elses account (no cc# showed).MESSAGE TO LJW: YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR ORDERING SITE and I hope that you safeguard the credit card info we entered.

Chicago_JHawk 13 years, 9 months ago

I got an email back - they claimed they're having technical difficulties, but that all CCs are processed offline, and no info is kept in the online account.

prairie_rattler 13 years, 9 months ago

This article should have ran under the 'Advertisement' disclaimer...