Friday, April 11, 2008

Staying put

Self turns down alma mater, citing Kansas as new home

Kansas coach Bill Self, right, speaks at a news conference Thursday at Hadl Auditorium about his intentions to stay with the Jayhawks. An agreement on a new contract has been made in principle, though the details of Self's extension haven't been announced. At middle is Kansas University Chancellor Robert Hemenway, and at left is KU athletic director Lew Perkins.

Videos

Bill Self, still a Jayhawk

video thumbnail

Coach Bill Self has announced that he plans on staying at the University of Kansas.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self's April 10 press conference

KU coach Bill Self met with the media Thursday afternoon, flanked by athletic director Lew Perkins and Chancellor Robert Hemenway, to announce his intentions to remain as the Jayhawks' head coach for years to come.

Download podcast

During his days as a point guard at Oklahoma State University, Bill Self began to dream of someday being named head basketball coach at his alma mater.

"I will not lie. It's true," Self, Kansas University's fifth-year coach, said Thursday.

He was speaking four hours after declining an offer to fulfill a fantasy of returning to Stillwater, Okla., to rebuild the Cowboy program.

"Home called. And we love home. But this is home now," Self said at a news conference to announce his decision to accept a hefty raise in pay and a contract extension at KU - a school the Edmond, Okla., native just led to its first national title in 20 years.

OSU athletic director Mike Holder gave the Cowboys' best pitch to Self during a two-hour, face-to-face meeting Wednesday night at a Shawnee hotel.

Holder's spiel came several hours after Kansas AD Lew Perkins assured Self he'd be a wealthy, secure man if he'd remain at a place committed to improving its basketball facilities.

"Coach Holder did an unbelievable job of striking the right chords," Self said of the former OSU golf coach the 45-year-old Self has known since he was 18.

"He did it in a way that provoked thought of why it'd be a great fit for me and my family at this time. It wasn't done in a way you'd imagine it would be done," Self added, apparently referring to the alleged megabucks booster T. Boone Pickens might throw his way.

"This was strictly from an opportunity to come home and to lead a program through a transition and go to great heights it has not seen in a while.

"He said, 'We know you care about the school (KU). We just want to give you some things to think about.'''

Self slept on Holder's job offer - KU's coach insisted no dollar figures were bandied about - and, after visiting with Perkins late Thursday morning, called Holder to say thanks, but no thanks, at 12:30 p.m.

"I told him he broke my heart, and I'm serious about that," Holder said. "I put a lot of energy and thought into the moment of truth with Bill Self when I sat down with him, and I think at the end of the day I had myself sold on him coming to Oklahoma State. But I couldn't sell Bill Self on coming to Oklahoma State.

"I think I had him scratch his head just a little bit about it," Holder added. "I think what won out was Kansas."

In order to keep its coach, Kansas promised Self:

More Money

"Bill is going to be compensated and rightly so at the highest level," Perkins said, indicating details of the contract probably won't be released for a couple of weeks, until after it is reviewed by lawyers and signed.

Self, who has three years remaining on his contract, makes $1.375 million a year. Florida coach Billy Donovan reportedly makes $3.5 million and Kentucky's Billy Gillispie $2.3 million per annum. Texas' Rick Barnes is the Big 12's highest-paid coach at $2 million per year.

Self, one source said, may receive between $2.5 and $3 million a year for eight years.

KU's coach would only say, "yes," when asked if he received the amount of years he wanted and felt he now had the stability he so desires.

¢ Facility upgrades

KU soon will construct a new basketball practice facility next to Horejsi Center. Allen Fieldhouse improvements on tap include new locker rooms, a film room, a cardio room, dining hall and an extension to the Booth Family Hall of Athletics. An upgrade to athletic dorm Jayhawker Towers is also on the wish list.

"These things were already in the works. Lew wants the same things," Self stressed. "My administration knows now there won't be a shadow of doubt of how important I think that is. It won't be put on the back burner. We just want to have the best of the best so we can recruit the best of the best."

¢ Salary boost for his assistant coaches

"The reason we won big is our guys have done a good job recruiting the right guys," Self said. "It's not just the head coach. It's important to me our assistants be in a situation they know they will not be tempted to leave here for a similar position someplace else."

Self also wanted to stay at KU for family reasons. His daughter, Lauren, will be a senior in high school next year.

"I don't see a scenario that would be best for our family to be separated," Self said. "That would have been the case. I would not have asked her to do that.

"She (Lauren) came to me when it was reported before Monday's championship game this might happen. I was trying to sleep. She woke me up and said, 'Hey, dad, I saw we may be going to Stillwater.' I said, 'Babe, trust me, nobody is talking like that.' She said, 'If that's best for us, do it. I'll be fine.' She let me know she wasn't going, that 'I'll be fine back here (in Lawrence a year).' I thought it was pretty sweet of her, but probably a way for her to get away from her parents," Self joked.

More than anything, Self, who in a 15-year career already has been head coach at Oral Roberts, Tulsa, Illinois and KU, said he wants to set anchor.

"You love the people you work with on a daily basis as well as the players who have put in so much hard work," Self said. "We just love it here. We left ORU to go across town when we were really good at ORU and left those kids behind. We left Tulsa after the Elite Eight when we were really good at Tulsa. We left Illinois and those guys to come here. I really want to enjoy being somewhere. I'd really like to enjoy being at a place longer.

"We came to the conclusion the time is right for my family to be in Lawrence, Kansas, and lead this program to hopefully bigger and better things in the future."

As far as possibly entertaining an OSU offer again someday, Self said: "I will not say never. I mean, I had a chance to be there. I can't see those things changing. I don't think it's a fair question. I don't have a crystal ball. I can't imagine a scenario (he'd go there)."

Could Self retire at KU?

"I see the finish line being here," he said. "I don't want to say positively. You never know. Things do change. You may have a new administration, a lot of different things. I will say I am excited coaching at a place as I have been my entire coaching career."

He said he'll be as motivated as ever trying to keep KU hoops on top.

"How humbling it is. We say Phog Allen won three (national titles), technically won one," he said of one NCAA title and two Helms Foundation poll crowns. "Coach (Larry) Brown won one. Now we've won one. How cool would it be to win two? To me that is great motivation. We'll work hard to try to get it accomplished."

Comments

raedav 6 years, 4 months ago

That's GREAT! I'm a KU grad living in D.C., now, and I have lived through Larry Brown, leading us to the championship then leaving us, and Roy Williams leading us to a championship game, then leaving KU. KU Athletic teams are ambassadors of our University. What does it say to the world when one moment we're on top, and the next moment we are being treated as a red-headed step child? Or a mere stepping stone, at best? I know Bill Self can continue to be really happy at Kansas. Look at Kansas Transplant Dean Smith, who made North Carolina his home. It warms my heart to see someone transplanting to our "Kansas Home". I have traveled alot, but I've never seen a school of any kind that had as much feeling and heart and soul as the University of Kansas. God Bless Bill for staying!

hawaiijayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

GREAT article! Self is just so freakin' full of class!!!!! Everything he says is what all fans want to here from their head coach. The Jayhawk nation is soooooo lucky to have this guy.

DCJayhawk0208 6 years, 4 months ago

Raedav, as a fellow DC Jayhawk, I couldn't agree more. Although nothing was worse than the year I lived in Raleigh (yep, you guessed it 2003-2004).Having a classy coach like Self at the helm does nothing but strengthen our alumni base, which in turn makes us more visible to both potential KU students and potential employees leaving the university.Several of my friends and I work for firms run by fellow KU alums, and all of us look forward to a time when they can be running those firms, reaching out to help newly graduated Jayhawks.Rock Chalk!!!

DueFan 6 years, 4 months ago

I have no doubt that one of the reasons for Self to stay at KU is how beautiful Lawrence is. I do not think that Stillwater is even close to it.

lance1jhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Kudos to Coach for going to bad for his assistants and for improvements to the players living situaion. I've been in the Jayhawk Towers, and tell you its cockroach free (because they even find it disgusting).Sounds like HCBS is commited to making Kansas a HUGE force to be reckoned with for many many years! Thanks Coach!

Kent Wells 6 years, 4 months ago

OK, so when Williams left KU, he wore KU colors at his press conference. Wasn't that strange?Did anyone notice the color of Coaches shirt at his press conference???

NH_JHawk 6 years, 4 months ago

YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS!Great coach + great recruiter + great university + great basketball tradition = additional NCAA Titles.

Mike Crosbie 6 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self, Dean Smith. I think ourSelf now has a lot in common with Dean Smith. More than once KU tried to get Dean to "come home" but Dean found a new home, just as Bill Self said. I think that Bill will build a legacy over time that rivals no one. After looking in my crystal ball, someday 15, 20 years from now, after several more championships, our program will outgrow Allen Field House, alumni will want luxury suites, and the Jayhawks maybe playing in the Bill Self Dome?????They say a coach rubs off on his players, maybe by setting an example that money isn't everything, Mario, and maybe even Arthur, just might follow his example.Rock Chalk ChampionHawk !!

Kevin Long 6 years, 4 months ago

I have to be honest. When he first got here, I was doubting a little bit. Those 2 early exits didn't help my feelings any. Over the last few years though, I saw a coach that was adapting his style of play to the players he has, instead of forcing a system on them. I think he has always been a good recuiter but is now better as a coach than he was even 5 years ago. I know when you win a title it all looks so good! ha ha

smitty33 6 years, 4 months ago

Go buy a blow up doll TBONE!!! I heard Bobby Knight is looking to coach again, maybe they could buy him. I'd love to pound him again in this league. I think Rush really can't improve his stakes for the NBA, but I believe Arthur has a lot more to prove at the NCAA level. He's a late 1st rounder, but if he plays like a monster next year, he could easily be top 5. I hope he stays. As for Mario, I just think it's too tough in the NBA for a small guard. Stay and get your degree Mario. Of course, I'm a little biased. I have a man crush on this team. I wish I could be at Allen on Sunday night. I hope they put it on youtube.

kranny 6 years, 4 months ago

KUWELLS,I may be a bit color blind, but it looked dark red to me.

speedy 6 years, 4 months ago

lets see if i have this right. hansboro gets player of the year the day after getting his butt kicked by KU and calipari gets coach of the year the day after bill & co. kicked memphis butt. coach self has become a much better coach since he came to KU. i am glad to hear hes staying for years to come. maybe the voters will vote AFTER the game!!!

Steven Jackson 6 years, 4 months ago

KU is truly blessed. I can't wait for next season!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 6 years, 4 months ago

Now that the coaching situation has been put to bed, sans details, would someone please issue the lifetime ban to Dick Vital from the KU campus. When ESPN comes a calling on gameday next season Dicky V is not welcome until he finds some respect for this tournament run.

Ted Toulouse 6 years, 4 months ago

BC: Agreed!! All the talking heads want to say "Memphis Lost." well, we capitolized when they couldn't. it also felt like they said that UNC blew it's comeback instead of us winning it(!) That just means everyone needs to come back and do it again, JUST TO SHUT THEM UP!!On a more personal level, everyone I talk to that isn't a KU fan was damned impressed at how we performed in the finals. Loved it!

JayhawkVA 6 years, 4 months ago

Rae & DCJayhawk - do you know if there will be anything out here if and when the team comes out to the White House? I'd love to show them the support they have away from Kansas!

Craig Lang 6 years, 4 months ago

As much as I wish we could "punish" Dick Vitale for his complete denial of Kansas' greatness this season, I don't think that it is viable. Vitale is a big part of the ESPN college basketball family, and ESPN is important to KU's national exposure.

bristowhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I had not even given a thought to the color of HCBS's shirt. I did notice that he was dressed like a man that was welcoming you into his HOME. Self is comfortable here with everyone he has to work with. He is also looking out for KU not only as a basketball school but also as a place of higher learning. To listen to what he has to say, you do not see him place a difference between KU the team and KU the institution. Bill Self=Very Class ActRock Chalk

KGphoto 6 years, 4 months ago

An Orange bowl victory and an NCAA Basketball Championship in the same season. Upgrades to both program's facilities and two of the best coaches in the country, that both feel "at home" in Lawrence.It's a good time to be a Jayhawk.

tis4tim 6 years, 4 months ago

Agreed with the ESPN comments above. What I don't get is how is Memphis a better sports market than the one we are in? So, why the favoritism there?Jay Bilas seems to be the only level-headed, mostly objective character at that network. Hubert Davis is getting there.What is really funny (in a pathetic way) is on GameNight the other night (radio) Freddie Coleman, who is usually pretty good, went so far as to say that other than Mario's shot, the game wasn't even that good. Game wasn't that good? How is it that every other outlet, despite the anti-Kansas sentiments at least has talked profusely about the game being one of the best in recent memory, but now ESPN is trying to cast doubt on even that? I just don't get it. Meanwhile, I thought Digger was going to have a coronary after the game yelling at Bilas about why Memphis should have fouled on that last play. I got the sense that all these dumba**es bet lots of money on the game and lost.Hopefully, this victory for KU will change the way these ESPN idiots look at sports in our market. All the bashing gets tiresome. With Bill in tow, I think we're just at the beginning of something very special here at KU.Rock Chalk!

shabbasuraj 6 years, 4 months ago

I agree with his view with the assistants. Anyone who knows basketball knows that those people are the LIFEBLOOD of a program.

dbenton6 6 years, 4 months ago

Everyone has their own opinion on Dick Vital. As for myself, I wish he would do more games in the Fieldhouse. If I am not mistaken, Dicky V. has said all year that KU has the best total backcourt of any team in the country. Dick Vital was only speaking his opinion through out the tournment. I think he has more respect for the college game than anyone has. I could listen to him time and time again. P.S. Thank you Coach Self for listening to your heart and not your wallet.

cobweb 6 years, 4 months ago

Ok Darrell, Mario. It's your turn.

rawkhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I've been a fan pretty much since the day I was born, in 1970. My parents met at KU and I have followed KU hoops since as long as I remember. From my perspective, the Jayhawks have come a long way from the days of Ted Owens. I remember cheering wildly for Larry Brown, encouraged by Roy Williams excellence, and now beyond belief at Bill Self's success. I thought it was great that we prevailed in the one final four with all number one seeds. I loved seeing coverage of Larry Brown at the Final Four and appreciated Roy with the Jayhawk on his shirt during the championship. I believe Bill Self has profound respect for the tradition that he is part of. I think he sees what a lot us see right now...things are only getting better at this great, historical institution. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! 2008 National Champions!!!

DCJayhawk0208 6 years, 4 months ago

JayhawkVA, I haven't heard anything about the team doing something with the fans when they come, but they haven't even actually scheduled the visit yet. I'll ask around, though, to see if anybody knows anything.

Michael Leiker 6 years, 4 months ago

Rumor that there will be a KU Skit on SNL tomorrow night. FYI...not sure if someone posted that already.

343434 6 years, 4 months ago

What a season! With Chalmers and Collins hopefully staying, how high can we really see this team being ranked next year? I think that a top five ranking is reasonable.

NH_JHawk 6 years, 4 months ago

txrockchalk - thanks for the link."Pickens is the George Steinbrenner of college athletics"Classic! Hopefully OSU doesn't turn into the Evil Empire.

KU 6 years, 4 months ago

On recruiting.......What are the chances of us getting J'Mison Morgan now that Mr. Personality has left coaching Stanford and moved to LSU?

KU 6 years, 4 months ago

Guys......it gets old hearing about ESPN bias. I bet if you talked to UNC or Duke fans or West Virginia fans or Texas fans or Memphis fans they would ALL complain about ESPN bias, too.Drop the thin skin OR don't watch ESPN if it hurts your feelings. It just makes you sound like a bunch of whiners when you complain.....ESPECIALLY right after winning a national championship.

6 years, 4 months ago

You got it, NH_JHawk. I don't know if you read their post on the Keegan article today, but I think leikness was trying to find a good home for approximately 100ml of Johnnie Walker Blue. I immediately thought of you and lance1jhawk as excellent mediums to help our fellow poster solve such a conundrum :)

NH_JHawk 6 years, 4 months ago

txrockchalk - It is excellent no doubt. Very top shelf so a little on the pricey side I suspect.

6 years, 4 months ago

NH - Perhaps in a fit of extreme generosity, he will break it out at the football home opener, during the pre-game tailgating festivities. Did I read earlier that you were traveling in for that, or is it for the following week? Should be a great time at either one.

1977kufan 6 years, 4 months ago

Super article, Gary. I am simply very thankful that Coach Self has said, Kansas and the program comes first. He knows that he will be adequately paid and yet he looked beyond that and stepped up the facilities and every facet of the program. Thank you Coach Self for looking at the unsung heroes (all of the coaching staff, assistants and so many more) and helping them. He is a true Crimson and Blue person and we indeed have one truly outstanding head coach. Everyone should tip their hat to this man. THANK YOU SO MUCH COACH SELF.

jhawkohio 6 years, 4 months ago

I also listened to the talking heads on game night telling the nation how Memphis collapsed and gave the game away. Nothing was said about KU giving away five points at the start of the second half in less than a minute. The game was tied before we even touched the ball for the first time. The only thing they can remember is that last two minutes of the game. KANSAS WON THE GAME. MEMPHIS DID NOT GIVE THE GAME AWAY. With the Orange Bowl win and now this, it has been a great YEAR to be a JAYHAWK.

speedy 6 years, 4 months ago

dickie v. had me fooled for years. now i use the mute button on him. i,d ban him from ku if i could.

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 4 months ago

Pull up a chair and stay a long time Bill!Rush has already done the "check into his options without hiring an agent" and can only do that once according to the NCAA so he has to go pro. Arthur would do well to stay one year and become more consistent on the boards and a little more consistent scorer. Besides next year is not a good year for bigs coming out and he would have a much better chance at being a lottery pick. If Mario stays he would definitely be relied upon more to score and would definitely get more looks from the scouts. I say he should stay. Of course I do have selfish reasons also...

speedy 6 years, 4 months ago

for the espn idiots. memphis only missed freethrows that led to a tie game.!!! KU won the overtime and the GAME!!!!!!

IrishHawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I think it speaks volumes about Self's character that throughout all of this he's stayed true to his word, been open with everyone about the process, and in the end thought to take care of those around him (assistants, the rest of the AD, etc) when many others would've been worried only about themselves when confronted with the leverage the situation presented.Bottom Line: Coach Self is all class, and I couldn't be prouder to be a Jayhawk!p.s. Lew is THE MAN!

jaybate 6 years, 4 months ago

I am still not reading the words "signed employment contract."What I am reading is the following paradoxing.We had no serious interest in leaving KU.We had serious interest in talking to OSU athletic director and friend Coach Holder about a job at my alma mater, a place I love, spent 11 years of my life at, and was willing to at least consider returning to.We love home.But home is here now.As my old KU logic teacher might have restated it to unpad the language:We had at least some interest in leaving KU.We had serious interest in talking to the OSU AD about taking the OSU job.We consider Stillwater home.We decided that Lawrence is home now, until our daughter graduates. After that, who knows?I can see why Coach Self is such a persuasive recruiter. If he can make a fan base happy and reassured with the above, I reckon he could also find the correct way to say:You are a fabulous player that I really want to come to play for me.You will not be a go to guy here.

jaybate 6 years, 4 months ago

It is interesting, is it not that after sleeping on it, he said essentially that I am staying in Lawrence, because my daughter is a senior in highschool and the best thing for my family is to stay here another year so the family is not separated.He is also saying: I am not committing to staying in Lawrence permanently and I am not saying that after my daughter graduates next year that the money Pickens offers would fail to attract me.Again, I hope Bill Sef stays and I think he is one of the five best coaches in college basketball, and with any more good fortune he is on the way to being the best. But it is wrong to say that he is staying at KU yet, based on what he has said, and it is wrong to say that he will stay more than a year or two, even if he decides to stay until his daughter graduates, based on what he said.All one can say at this point is that there is an unbinding agreement in principle to stay an undetermined amount of time and that an awfully lot of words are being spoken and written to make it appear more definite, at this point, than things are.Here is how you stay at KU.You get up and go to work.You don't interview for other jobs.Your daughter's graduation from highschool is only an important mile stone, not a factor in where home is located, because you're staying no matter what.I for one still hope Lew Perkins is conducting discreet, back channel negotiations with potential replacements, either for this coming year, or that can be rekindled after Coach Self's daughter graduates.Why?

jaybate 6 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self has the KU program by the short hairs right now, which is not necessarily a bad thing, except that he is acting exactly as if he does. If he did not have it by the short hairs and felt there was some benefit to making it scramble for his services, then he would just have taken the OSU job offer for the money and for the return home, and for the chance to "fix" a program in need of fixing, which, as he says, coaches like to do.But he is not just flat accepting or rejecting the OSU job. And he is not just flat staying or leaving the KU job.He is agreeing to stay in principle.And he is exuding the appearance of "true class," as he plays KU off against OSU both now and as he lays the foundation for a doing so again a year or so from now.Coach Self is giving a clinic in excellent bargaining, if anyone cares to observe it. He knows that the longer he strings this out, the more risk is put on recruiting not only regarding the incoming class, but on the crucial following year's class. He knows last year's class missed out on prime targets Kyle Singler and James Anderson. No first year blue chip was landed. He knows this year's class missed out on the bigs he had to have and substitutes numbers for top quality; i.e., he knows his incoming recruits are not one of the most highly ranked recruting classes in the country despite their numbers (a good but not great recruiting class), and he knows that any extended KU delays will absolutely kill next years recruiting class.

jaybate 6 years, 4 months ago

So: Coach Self continues to put himself in the best possible light, committing in principle, but not in contract, to staying, while essentially giving KU the time it needs to scramble for money to match who he is pitting them against. And the longer they take, the more recruiting is threatened. And the longer they take, the more powerful will be Pickens KO bid in which numbers are drastically increased over the rumors and Coach Self gets to come forwards and say, "Shucks, the folks at Kansas did their best, and we love it here, but I just could not in the best interests of my family turn down the phenomenally generous offer from OSU. The offer might be something like a $10M signing bonus and $5 million a year for ten years. Coach Self can see te price of gas and everything else inflating just like you can. He knows that coaching salaries are going to inflate sharply too. No way is he going to settle for less than Billy Donovan or Gillispie in the middle of this inflation. Everyone at KU will be stunned, but they will immediately understand that, well, how could ANYONE turn down THAT kind of money? Coach Self did, after all, TRY to stay at Kansas. He tried to act in the best interests of his daughter and respect her last year in Lawrence high school. And Lewie the Perk and Hemenway did say he has "class" and that he embodied the best of Kansas basketball. And he did wait a respectable time until after the celebration for the NC was over. Good bye, Coach Self, we regret, but we understand. We still luv ya Coach. And lo and behold his daughter transfers to a highschool in Stillwater like a thousand other kids do every year when their parents get transferred and life will go on.Will it certainly go down this way?As Bill Self might say, I'm not gonna lie to you. I can't absolutely rule out that it will not go this way. I can say I don't want it to go this way. I can say that it probably won't go this way, or that it probably will.I only know that it has been laid out so that it could go this way. Now. Or a year from now. And you don't lay things out that way for no reason at all.And sooner or later it is going to be tough on recruiting.And someone here is going to have to fork up as much at KU as Pickens is offering, or home which is here now, will be there then.Class: Bargaining 101.Teacher: Coach Bill SelfEnrollment: KU fan basePrerequisites: No blinders.Start Date: Sometime in the recent past.

KU 6 years, 4 months ago

jaybate......Do you lay awake at night worrying about the Cold War, too? Holy Cow. Give it a rest. The man is staying in Lawrence.

hawk63 6 years, 4 months ago

jaybate....you sound just like Bush. Does it hurt to talk from both sides of your mouth. I have been around KU athletics since 52 and I have never read anything so disloyal to the Red and Blue than you. Are you sure you not not a Wildcat or Tirger fan trying to stir up something.

jaybate 6 years, 4 months ago

KU,No, I don't stay up at night worrying about wars that are already over. I worry about the wars that are going on right now. Do you?hawk63,Should I call you disloyal, because you won't take off the blinders and encourage KU to look out for its own best interests? Are you really so in love with Coach Self that you care more about preserving the fantasy of him not bargaining than you do about making sure KU comes out of this bargaining situation in the best possible condition?Or should I say: you have your opinion and I have mine and we'll have to wait and see how things turn out to see who is right?I choose to do the latter with you. I suggest you do the same with me.

kerbyd 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey,If you don't want to hear the ESPN talking heads, just turn off the sound and listen to the game on local radio.

Jacobpaul81 6 years, 4 months ago

Then you gotta listen to that idiot piper. =)