Thursday, April 10, 2008

Report sullies Talib’s character

A report on a respected football Web site states that former Kansas University cornerback Aqib Talib is losing the interest of several NFL teams because of character concerns.

An article on ProFootballWeekly.com cites conversations with evaluators from nine NFL teams and states that Talib admitted in interviews at the NFL Combine in February that he tested positive for marijuana three times while at Kansas.

KU coach Mark Mangino wouldn't comment specifically on the claim of failed drug tests when asked about it Wednesday. But he did vouch for Talib's behavior near the end of his KU career.

"I never discuss personnel matters of that sort publicly," Mangino said. "What I can tell you is, the last two seasons in our program, Aqib's been a model guy. Great work ethic, no problems at all, has done a good job in terms of leadership."

Talib joined KU's team in 2004 and red-shirted his first year on campus. He cracked the starting lineup midway through the 2005 season and stood out immediately as a shutdown cornerback. By 2007, he was a consensus All-American for the Jayhawks, who went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl last season.

But the early days of Talib's career weren't without incident. He was suspended the first two games of the 2006 season for undisclosed disciplinary reasons and was involved in a verbal altercation with a Houston player during a Fort Worth Bowl event in 2005.

ProFootballWeekly reported that Talib told teams that the birth of his daughter last summer made him change his ways. It's a claim that Mangino supports.

"I can tell you that there haven't been any problems at all with him in any way his last couple of seasons in the program," Mangino said.

Talib skipped his senior season and declared for the NFL Draft in January. A fine showing at the NFL Combine and KU's Pro Day have made him a strong possibility to be drafted in the first round.

The NFL Draft starts April 26 in New York.

Comments

sevenyearhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

So, he smoked some weed ...What's Randy Moss done? Been a locker room poison and attempted to run down a parking officer with his car!Look at all of the NFL players that have several kids by several women, or abuse women, or cause mayhem in public with firearms ...Doesn't make the wacky tobacci seem so bad, does it?And I'll take a pot smoker over a drunk any day, Exhibit A: John Randle ...(sorry, buddy. I know you finally got things turned around at Southern Illinois, but look at what that young man could have been a part of here at Kansas!!!)

FortWorthJayhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

I smoked pot in college and now I don't. It's amazing what happens when you get older and learn what's at stake... Aqib is a solid prospect and will make any team that skips on him because of this look like idiots. I know he might not like it but I'd love to see him drop to the Chiefs and the start of the 2nd. He'll still get paid well.

sevenyearhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

I believe I've heard that marijuana isn't legal yet because there's no reliable field test, like the breathalyzer for alcohol ...This is just dumb, but I certainly hope it doesn't lead to further investigation of our program, nor that it affects Talib too badly!!***I only tried it once, it didn't do anything for me ... I wouldn't do it now even if it were legal, because that would be being an irresponsible parent (just as I rarely drink)But I know a good, many people who would benefit from being mellowed out ...I'm just sayin'

shelleysue 13 years, 5 months ago

Tom Brady is one of the most recognizable NFL players who tens of thousands of kids look up to. And he's an awful role model - he had two women pregnant at the same time. And they're concerned that Talib smoked some pot a couple of years ago?? That's ridiculous and any team that would turn him away because of that, instead of looking at the type person he is today, doesn't deserve his talent on their roster. Good luck Aqib, and I look forward to watching you in the NFL!

kevbo 13 years, 5 months ago

Weed is a performance enhancing drug.

jayhawkinATL 13 years, 5 months ago

This DOES SUCK since it apparently happened BEFORE Aqib got his life in order. Hopefully, he stays in the 1st round.

Dan Harris 13 years, 5 months ago

Brock- I know that was a shot at the Cowboys, but since I live in Dallas and their my favorite team I would love for the Boys to get Talib.

KEITHMILES05 13 years, 5 months ago

If this is true the teams are losing in interest in him then shame on them. The guy admitted what he had done in the past and has done an outstanding job since then.

HawkFanEddie 13 years, 5 months ago

Shocking!!! jk.It's the NFL. He can play football. He is fine.

Robert Brock 13 years, 5 months ago

He will have no problem fitting into the Dallas Cowboy culture.

HawkFanEddie 13 years, 5 months ago

I bet he drank a beer before he was 21. I also bet he rolled through a stop sign too! OMG!!! College kid smoking weed...is this really a story??? I bet 25 of the 30 first round picks have smoked weed.Dear Lord...PLEASE let him fall to the Chiefs in the 2nd round.

prairie_dog 13 years, 5 months ago

Vick will play again, all of the other NFL baggage, and they are worried about what Aqib did as a kid??!!It does not make sense, so little in fact that this story is probably a plant. Whoever REALLY wants him is trying to throw others off his trail.The Chiefs would be very happy if Aquib ended up here but I would not wish the Chiefs on Aquib.

John Percival 13 years, 5 months ago

I agree 1625(15). I care how this reflects on the program, not his draft status. No one is above it no matter what he did for the team. Having said that, I'm glad he does seem to have turned himself around.

grantmvb 13 years, 5 months ago

Everyone's got to admit that Talib wants the spotlight in one form or another AND he will say anything that's on his mind. Testing positive three times doesn't mean that he'll share an occasional J from time to time with friends. That meant at one time or another he enjoyed the drug. His off the field actions shouldn't hamper his play, because he's a gamer. You do have to understand the concern by NFL teams when a 1st round pick makes this public. Marijuana should not have any effect on his play.

eastTXjayhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

I wonder what this "respected football website" is? Since when does that matter RE "Rush story contained some inaccuracies"Why doesn't the LJW just make up their own story on Aqib? it could be even better than this and they can just say it had some inaccuracies later.... oh yea, i know this is a football story, but we're the NCAA Mens Basketball National Champions!

Mike Crosbie 13 years, 5 months ago

Talib smoked weed??? OMG shoot him. Someone said they'd take that over an alcoholic any day....You got that right. If either alcohol or weed has to be illegal, they got the wrong one. So many social problems caused by alcohol, it's terrible. The only problems from a toke is a failed test and an undeserved bad label.

Marcia Parsons 13 years, 5 months ago

I don't see why it should cause any NCAA problems with our program. Obviously it's against team rules, and that's why he was suspended for 2 games. We dealt with the problem. I'd think the only problem would be if we hadn't done anything.

jahawkdave 13 years, 5 months ago

The WEB/MEDIA says teams are losing intersest, who gives a flip what the media says they think they know, it makes for a good negative story so they run with it. He will still be drafted according to his on field potential.

not_important 13 years, 5 months ago

With the 35th pick in the NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs steal Aqib Talib, defensive back from the University of Kansas.

milehighhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

I read on another board (Top. Cap-J) that the NCAA standard would be to suspend him for the whole season, not just two games, and the program could face sanctions as a result.This came from a poster, not a writer - anyone confirm this?

bayareajhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

I remember when Bradley beat us in the basketball tournament (amazing how little I care about it now) they had a player test positive for marijuana after the game. He was suspended for the entire next year and lost his year of eligibility. I think that was his only offense. I'm not sure if this is the policy but it's the only college athletics marijuana punishment I can recall right now. I would also like to echo the sentiments above regarding the seriousness (or lack therof) of Aqib's actions. Nobody should hold anything against him, but I really hope our program doesn't get in trouble. Got to keep the momentum rolling!

CasperCorps 13 years, 5 months ago

Talib did a good job for us but the kid is way overrated. He was burned numerous times last year against top recievers.

halvhawk 13 years, 5 months ago

i dont know if anyone has seen this, and its off of the subject a little bit but...tony sands son deshaun became our first known football commitment for next years recruiting class...supposively he was one of the top RBs in florida last year

JBurtin 13 years, 5 months ago

Ty Law got burned sometimes too.He gets interceptions by playing far enough off his man to bait the quarterback into throwing it.Sometimes it works like it did in the Orange Bowl, and sometimes he underestimates somebody's speed like he did against Jordy Nelson. But even there, once he saw Nelson's speed, he hung closer and shut him down for the rest of the game, then finished off the win by pulling in the interception at the most key moment of the game.All in all, the big plays that he makes are worth the risks that he takes.Anybody ingnorant enough to say that he's overrated is a d-bag.

JHWKNMIZRY 13 years, 5 months ago

Maybe he didn't inhale. I know that excuse has worked before.

FlaHawk 13 years, 5 months ago

These types of allegation have hurt several concensus 1st Team All-Americans in the past!Best example is Warren Sapp when he came out of Miami about 13-14 years ago. The rumors came out about 2 weeks before draft and he dropped from Top 3 pick to 2nd round with the TB Bucs took him.Let's hoe that Talib busts his butt for the scouts (unfortunately this is not the word from teh camps) and that he gets his head clear! A corner back is NOT someone that you want making bad decisions in the NFL! A bad decision is an instant TD!

Lance Hobson 13 years, 5 months ago

I don't know why these guys smoke pot, there is so much to lose yet they do it anyway. I didn't know a lot of people at KU who did it, the few that I did know ended up dropping out of school - big shock there.Hopefully our success will allow us to pass on the bottom-feeding thugs and get recruits with better character.

jhawk4life1976 13 years, 5 months ago

I know it would suck for him but it would be AWESOME if he fell to the Chiefs in the 2nd round. He would still have a great chance to be a starter right away and his HC would be Herm Edwards (former NFL corner).

Pbbut 13 years, 5 months ago

Look, the guy is a high risk-high reward player (forget about the hemp unless he fails additional tests as a pro), anyone below draft position 15 has a different need or just insists in not making the best pick for their team. He's a real playmaker and has a chance to make a big impact in the NFL. These admissions will likely cost him a couple of spots and a bunch of signing bonus. Ya play, ya pay, even when you're 19-20 years old.