Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Mario and the miracle!

Big 3 forces OT, lifts Kansas

Kansas University's Mario Chalmers (15) leads the celebration as time runs out on the Jayhawks' 75-68 overtime victory over Memphis. Chalmers hit a three-pointer to tie it with 2.1 seconds left in regulation, and the Jayhawks went on to win their first national title in 20 years.

Videos

2008 NCAA Tournament

video thumbnail

Full video coverage of the Kansas Jayhawks in the 2008 NCAA Tournament

Videos

6News Championship Celebration

video thumbnail

Coverage of the festivities after the Jayhawks became the NCAA National Champions.

Feature

2008 NCAA Tournament

Get your March Madness fix at KUSports.com.

NCAA Championship Game

— Mario Chalmers raced to his mother, Almarie, and hugged her tightly on the Alamodome court, streamers falling from the rafters after Kansas University's one-for-the-ages 75-68 national championship victory over Memphis on Monday night.

"He said, 'We did it. We did it. We did it,''' Almarie Chalmers beamed with pride. "My son : his heart, his guts. It's unbelievable."

Chalmers, KU's junior guard from Anchorage, Alaska, with ice in his veins, calmly drilled a deep three with two seconds remaining.

The shot completed KU's improbable comeback from a nine-point deficit (in the final 2:12) and forced overtime.

"Mario saved us like he always does. He hit the biggest three of his life when we needed it the most. That's why we call him Mr. Clutch," KU's Brandon Rush said.

The three completely energized the Jayhawks and deflated the Tigers.

KU opened the overtime with baskets by Rush, Darrell Arthur and Darnell Jackson and grabbed a six-point lead halfway through the five-minute session.

Memphis did cut the gap to three (71-68 at :51), but Final Four MVP Chalmers hit a pair of free throws at :45 and Sherron Collins two more at :18.2 to complete the scoring, setting off a wild celebration following KU's third official national title in history and first since 1988.

The victory would have been impossible without Chalmers' shot heard round the world.

"I had an open look. I had a person in my face. It was just a lucky shot," Chalmers said.

Pressed further, he admitted there might have been a wee bit of skill involved.

"I thought it was going in when it left my hands. It felt pretty good when I released it. I'll let everybody else talk about history. I just think it was a big shot," Chalmers said.

KU coach Bill Self realizes the shot will be replayed over and over in what will go down as one of the great games in NCAA championship history.

"It will probably be the biggest shot ever made in Kansas history," Self said. "You know when 'Danny and the Miracles' won it in '88, they were up four late or whatever (against Oklahoma). So I don't think it had a play like that (in closing moments).

"I don't know about the '52 championship team. It's remarkable he shows that much poise when the pressure is on," Self added.

The entire KU team showed a lot of poise in erasing the nine-point deficit in the final 2:12. The Jayhawks were still standing after a Derrick Rose-led 16-4 run turned a 47-44 deficit (at 9:21) into a 60-51 Tiger lead.

Rose had 10 points in the run, including a deep bank shot just in front of the three-point line with no time left on the shot clock.

"Coach told us to calm down, try to attack them on offense and put them on the line," said Arthur, who was sensational with 20 points and 10 rebounds.

Coach said something else, too.

"He said, 'Believe, believe,''' Chalmers said. "We never gave up. We believed."

KU also received some help from Memphis, which finished with a 38-2 record compared to national champ KU's 37-3 mark.

A Collins steal and ensuing three, that followed an Arthur bucket, cut Memphis' nine-point lead to 60-56 at 1:45.

"Sherron's steal and three were two of the biggest plays of the game. We were right in it," Self said.

Chris Douglas-Roberts (game-high 22 points, four more than Rose and Chalmers) made two free throws at 1:29, points that were answered by Chalmers, who made two free throws at 1:23.

Douglas-Roberts then bricked the front end of a one-and-one at 1:39, followed by an Arthur hoop, cutting the gap to 62-60 at 1:00.

Douglas-Roberts missed two free throws at :16.8, while Rose made just one of two at :15, meaning Memphis led just, 63-60, with 10 full seconds to play.

It gave KU a mathematical chance to tie, and Chalmers didn't disappoint.

"I didn't expect them to foul (before he shot)," Chalmers said of Memphis' strategy. "I expected them to guard and try to stop me from hitting the three."

Memphis coach John Calipari had hoped for a foul before the trey.

"We're gonna foul with 10 seconds to go, and they run away from us. The kid makes a shot over our arm. And that's why we lose," Calipari said.

"Ten seconds to go, we're thinking we're national champs, and then a kid makes a shot, and all of a sudden we're not."

After KU won, boy did the Jayhawks celebrate.

Arthur and Jackson hugged at center court as tears streamed down both of their faces. The players after the trophy presentation stood on a podium and watched CBS' "One Shining Moment" together on the big screen.

Even ex-Jayhawk Julian Wright, who left KU last year after his sophomore season for the NBA, joined in the fun on the podium.

"I don't know if it was a miracle, but I guess it was pretty miraculous," KU senior Russell Robinson said of the victory. "I'm going to enjoy watching it on TV over and over. I guess that is an instant classic.

"I'd say we won because we never gave up. You know : all you can do is believe. That's what we did. We believed."

KU made a believer out of Memphis, too.

"The way Kansas fought to take that game, they deserve to be national champs," Calipari said.

Comments

Seth Peattie 6 years, 5 months ago

KANSAS: THE RIC FLAIR OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 5 months ago

Mario's shot is leading in polls....

Greatest Shot ever in NCAA Over Michael Jordan's shot

This is incredible!!!!

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 5 months ago

Mario's shot is leading in polls....

Greatest Shot ever in NCAA Over Michael Jordan's shot This is incredible!!!!

Rockonku 6 years, 5 months ago

dagger108... I stand corrected!

Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I did not even realize I had typed Aldrige instead of Aldrich. My apologies.

Too much excitement!!!!

Rockonku 6 years, 5 months ago

dagger108.... I stand corrected.

Did not realize I had typed Aldrige instead of Aldrich. My apologies and thanks for bring it to my attention.

Too much excitement!!!

landon_2003 6 years, 5 months ago

best game ever......we are KANSAS. 2008 champs baby!!!!

Greg Lux 6 years, 5 months ago

not former jayhawk not ex-Jayhawk I am a Jayhawk true Crimson and Blue ...

KU 6 years, 5 months ago

One last eerie tie-in with the 1988 National Championship?

Darnell Jackson--the most inspirational Jayhawk on the roster for all he's been through--finished his KU career with 8 points and 8 rebounds.......8 and 8.........88........'88.

dminear60 6 years, 5 months ago

jayhawkinatl : Thanks for the link...good article

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like Coach just wants a long-term, guaranteed deal more than anything.

Dan Harris 6 years, 5 months ago

Man I can barely hold my eyes open still must be running on adreniline. What a year to be Jayhawk! Thank You Coach Self and Coach Mangino and all of our outstanding players! RCJH!

goldlighting 6 years, 5 months ago

ESPN Classic is going to replay the Kansas-Memphis game on Tuesday night at 11:00pm EDT. It will be shown following the conclusion of the women's National Championship game pitting Tennessee and Stanford (that will be on ESPN).See the first overtime title game since 1997, seventh OT game in NCAA title history. The first championship for Kansas since 1988. The (seemingly) only good game in the entire NCAA tournament this year.

truehawkfan 6 years, 5 months ago

You really have to put Roy haters in a couple of categories. I, for one, will admit I hate Roy Williams because I loved him so much. He was a great coach, great person, and someone I still to this day, admire a great deal. I hate it that he left, I hate it!! I loved him that much. I still do. I have found that love for Bill Self this year, but Williams did so much for our program. Larry Brown left him with nothing but probation, and the cupboard empty. He is class, style, and most of all caring. I hate him for leaving, but now as I sit here, we would not have Bill Self. It still hurts to think that he left, but he did what he had to do. I don't hate him for that. He did what was right for his family, I don't hate him for that. I hate him because I loved him. Self is such a great guy, and a perfect replacement for Williams. I could not be happier for Bill Self and his success, but Roy will always hold a special place in my heart. For that, I hate him. Slowly, Bill Self has gained my respect and we are a better team for having him. I have moved on, but Roy will always be one of my favorites.

Larry Smith 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, what a game!!! In our section there were mostly Hawk fans mixed with a few tigers fans, when that three from mario went down, you see the horror in their faces. When we went up six, they started heading for the aisle. It was awesome. Having gone to the Orange Bowl and now the NC game, it has been the best year ever!

Kevin Long 6 years, 5 months ago

I wasn't a Rush hater, but I will admit I was a Kaun hater. I am more than happy to admit that I was dead wrong about him!

Seth Peattie 6 years, 5 months ago

Dear Self/Roy haters: National Champs! Eat it!!!!Thanks.Signed,National Champs!!!!!!!!!!

MGJayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Bobby Knight, Digger Phelps, Dick Vitale and all the GameDay crew couldn't stop talking about how Memphis lost the game and gave KU no credit!!!!I'm fine with it because we're hanging a banner next season and KU Nation is proud as F!!!!!!ROCK CHALK!!!!

NH_JHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Mario fires "the shot heard 'round the world!"

nicka 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey b.rush haters...where you at?

jhawker137 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you, Mario!! Thank you, Coach Self!! Thank you, Kansas Jayhawks!!! I haven't stopped smiling all morning. All I can think of saying is WOW over and over!!!!ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS - 2008 National Champs!!!!!!Jayhawk Nation must now do everything that we can to get Coach Self to stay for a very very long time. Who knows 15-20 years down the line, the most winning Coach in basketball history?

6 years, 5 months ago

I am with you there, jhawklifer. I was at the Big 12 Championship game in OKC last year when Mario hit a similar shot against Texas during our amazing comeback. This was so much bigger.I can imagine how the students felt last night and feel today. Being there in '88 was amazing too.I wonder if last night's game will help with recruiting... :o)

greg robinson 6 years, 5 months ago

Wake up everybody. Albuquerque Journal front page headline: JAYHAWKS ROCK NCAA. Sports page: CHALK & AWE. I'm loving it. Thanks guys!

jayhawk02 6 years, 5 months ago

What a great game and season. Thanks Coach Self and everyone associated with this fine team. I am truly proud to be a Jayhawk right now. Now, after saying that, Coach Self owes us nothing. He has delivered to us in 5 years what Roy couldn't do in 15. I know Roy had to start from scratch though. I just hope that if coach Self decides to head south, that Jayhawk Nation will be grateful for the 5 years and the National Championship banner that will be flying proud next season. I hope he stays, but even if he bolts, KU will be in good shape to find another fine coach. Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU!!!

ann42 6 years, 5 months ago

Do anyone know the details are when the team will arrive in Lawrence and where they will have the celebration Party?? or is there anything in Topeka? Thanks

MGJayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Mario "the clutch" Chalmers!!!! I knew we'd win once that went down. It deflated Memphis so bad.

William Cormode 6 years, 5 months ago

They may fix this before anyone clicks on it but Dicks Sporting goods website has a Memphis Tigers National Champions T-Shirt for sale:http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=3020077&cp=2367821Idiots.

jayhawk02 6 years, 5 months ago

txrockchalk, I was on Jayhawk Blvd. after the victory over the Sooners in 88. Something I'll never forget.

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 5 months ago

People who spend alot of time talking about and analyzing a team's loss (like Phelps, Knight, Vitale, or any other person), are just revealing who they wanted to win. Just as we all would be cussing/discussing and analyzing why we lost if KU had come up short. I LOVE that we beat the ACC's UNC and those "vaunted" ballers of Memphis. I knew Memphis inside game was weak beyond Dorsey...We even had Roy Williams in our corner wearing a Jayhawk on his shirt. I LOVE THIS! Let the ESPN guys moan about it--someone's post above was 100% right: after the passage of time, no one will remember why Memphis lost....just that KU was the 08 Champs!! Woohoo! I am so proud of this team and Coach Self!!

bbeckum 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey Self haters: Where are you now?

suzifrye 6 years, 5 months ago

Man what a game I am sooooooooo happy!!! They played there hearts out and deserved to win this. The only thing that makes me mad is that even after the game nobody still wanted to give KU credit for winning. It was like poor Memphis, if Memphis would of just done this or that they would be cutting down the nets. Well they didn't, they lost so get over it! The better team won so shut up and give them boys some credit.

apeoples410 6 years, 5 months ago

Dear Lew,Get ready to open up the wallet! Don't give Self a reason to go to OSU. He deserves at least $3M per year, if not more.KU Boosters,Time to open up your wallets as well!Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Congrats to all!!!

Kevin Long 6 years, 5 months ago

I know truehawk! You know what though? Nobody will remember how Memphis lost! They will only remember that the Kansas Jayhawks won the 2008 title!!

truehawkfan 6 years, 5 months ago

Well said Rockonku. Even my wife was getting pissed about Memphis complaining on every call. Our guys showed class the entire game. Bill Self gets a lot of credit for that. He recruits good kids with amazing talent. We were a team last night. We showed what teamwork can do. We did not have one all star on that team, because they were all stars together. I love it.

SDSurferFan 6 years, 5 months ago

I think I slept all night with goose bumps. Woke up watched SC and had goose bumps. AMAZING!!!!!

craigers 6 years, 5 months ago

ann, from what I read last night the gates at Memorial stadium will open at 1:00ish and the Hawks should arrive there for the celebration between 2:30 and 3:30.

FSUJHAWK 6 years, 5 months ago

The three loses suffered in the regular season really helped this team. As any great team should, they learnt over the course of the season how to grind it out (even when it was ugly) and never blinked once in the game of all games. Credit belongs to everyone on the team from the practice guys to the stars and to the coaching staff. The latter should be credited big time for motivation instilled on these awesome kids and for coming up with a brilliant game plan to contain Memphis. Coach Self and his staff perhaps most importantly should be recognized for recruiting a bunch of guys built for tournament success. Congratulations to everyone and hail to ole KU!!!

Kevin Long 6 years, 5 months ago

We are champions! Let's that soak in, we are champions. It hasn't even soaked in yet. I love this !!!!!!!!!!

truehawkfan 6 years, 5 months ago

Knight says "Look Digger, I said no f ing teeth. Don't make me donkey punch our sorry a$$."

Bob Houk 6 years, 5 months ago

I got so sick in the pregame about how Memphis was going to win. Everyone except Jay Silas & Bobby Knight, who just said the one with the most points at the end of the game will be the winner....The announcers were against us and most of time the refs were against us. Those wide bodies would just crash into us while we were shooting and never a foul, but, on the other end we would do a little touch foul and got whistled... Thru all of this adversity we prevailed. I told everyone yesterday, to keep the faith after 20 years it was our turn and was it ever!!!We will remember this game for the rest of our lives the end to a perfect season with FANTASTIC Coaches & Players, all of them. Now if we could just get everyone that is eligible to stay. PLEASE stay and let's have a repeat!!!!! That goes for The Best Coach in the world to Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, Mario, the MAGNIFISCENT, and Sherron Collins and graciously bid farwell to Sasha Kahn, Russell Robinson, Darnell Jackson and all the other Seniors on the team. I know this dream team will not come true due to the huge money out there waiting for these guys. Have a fantastic life and thanks for the memories! Then top it off with the National Championship 2008! FANTASTIC !!!!!!

jayloco 6 years, 5 months ago

10 years, 30 mil., 3 mil signing bonus. Let's get it done Sweet Lew. The man deserves to be here for a long time. BS sounds more and more like he just wants security. Let's get this done and honor the man who got us our 1st NC in 20 years!

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

The experience at Allen Fieldhouse last night was absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!Then Mass Street ... it was MASS HYSTERIA!!!!!!***See official CBS highlights, courtesy of YouTube at:http://www.beakem.org

truehawkfan 6 years, 5 months ago

WOW is right. Now they have to give us respect. Even on ESPN last night, all they could talk about was how Memphis lost it. It irritated me a little, and I know, Memphis did lose it, but we won the damn game. Lets talk about Kansas and what they did to win. Enough about Memphis, North Carolina, UCLA. We just won the toughest final 4 in tournament history. All for #1 seeds, and we came out on top. Thanks to all of KU nation. All of us are walking with our head up and a smile on our face like we just saw boobies for the first time. The fans are amazing, the guys on the message boards made this year so much fun, and our seniors.... WOW!! What a memory.

lance1jhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I am so tired and a little drunk this morning at work still.Since I'm not going to be getting alot accomplished today I might as well check out the blogs. NCAA Champs!Orange Bowl Champs! Mark Mangino Throwing out the first pitch today for the Royals Home opener! Spring Game for football on Saturday. What a GREAT day to be a Jayhawk!ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKNATIONAL CHAMPS!

Rockonku 6 years, 5 months ago

While some may say that Mario's shot was luck I tend to view it as fate.The luck came for Memphis in not getting an intentional foul call on Dorsey when he shoved his shoulder into Aldrige and then when Taggart slammed the ball down because he was mad. The commentators said he was just mad at himself. So... he was still mad. I know it was a big game and a great game at that I do think they need to work on their attitudes a little bit.UNC was behind 20 points and never acted like that.Maybe I'm just spoiled from watching a team that wrote the book on sportsmanship. Our KU boys are no.1 all the way around!!!!

jhawklifer 6 years, 5 months ago

I'll never forget the wild swing of emotion from 9 down with 2:12 left to Rio's shot. Sports makes the world go round.Rock Chalk.

goldlighting 6 years, 5 months ago

Those old has-beens on GameDay were actually circle jerking under the table and warming their mouths up for after the show. Yuck, can you picture Digger going down in Knight?

oldrocker 6 years, 5 months ago

How great was it to watch Danny Manning climb up that ladder and cut a piece of the net...with a huge smile on his face! Priceless!

actorman 6 years, 5 months ago

"maybe its just me but thought the jayhawk on roy was sorta an apology to ku. just maybe hes sorry he upset so many KU people by the way he left."I don't buy it. There are plenty of reasons to criticize him, but he has always been consistent in saying how much he still loves KU. I think he was just expressing what he's always said.NH, if you get those audio clips please post them or let us know how we can get them. I'd love to hear the local calls!

ChicagoJHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Congratulations to Coach Self and all of the 07-08 Jayhawks!!!! You guys are by far my favorite KU team ever. Through all the off court distractions/personal tragedies you guys persevered and came through in the end & I'm proud of every one of you guys for that. Coach Self, I never doubted you ever, I knew you could do it. Those speeches you gave before the last 2 games was what got this team motivated & hyped up to win!Once again, congratulations Jayhawks!!! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!!!!!!! NATIONAL CHAMPS 2008!!!!!

Dirk Andrews 6 years, 5 months ago

This season has been incredible! From start to finish, it's been such a great experience to watch this team do work. What a magnificent group of guys, a magnificent TEAM. Not one player stuck out and wanted the glory, it was TEAM all the way. These guys came together and showed the whole nation that despite what idiot commentators and other haters said, we are the best team. Our players did such a great job of showing perserverance, patience, and poise down the stretch. It was easy to tell that our guys had everyone beat mentally and physically. Our coaching staff is great, lead by the best young coach in the nation in Bill Self. I trust that he'll be back next year. Having been an avid KU fan all of my life, this is one of the greatest moments ever. And to do it on the 20 year anniversary of Danny and the miracles, now that's unbelievable. I watched ESPN News at least 10 times last night and will continue to all morning, and believe I'll be watching all the replays. What a year! Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!

phillymac33 6 years, 5 months ago

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!As a KU fan living in St. Louis (enemy territory, but very few of my MU friends want to talk right now), does anyone know where I can go to find KU radio calls from last night's title game?What a great job last night. Chalmers is clutch. Is he coming back? ROCK CHALK

Dirk Medema 6 years, 5 months ago

What a great, great game!As amazing as Mario's shot was, it also amazes me that DA's double double goes almost completely unnoticed. Way to dominate the paint Hawks.Hopefully, Rockonku, or someone he/she knows, will clue him/her into the fact that Aldrige played for Texas and now is in the NBA. KU has a freshman center named Aldrich. It is the 2nd day in a row that you have diss'd him.

6 years, 5 months ago

jayhawk02 - We may have given each other a high-five that night! Or better yet, a low-five to mimic the Sooners' antics that season :)oldrocker - that was priceless, indeed. I also loved seeing Roy with a Jayhawk sticker on his shirt. His interview with CBS at half-time was great. For those who didn't hear it, he contended that in the last month, he has been saying KU was the best team with no deficiencies.

jayloco 6 years, 5 months ago

I have never been more proud to say I am a Jayhawk. East Coast bias, West Coast bias, it doesn't matter, because KU is the National Champion baby! What a year. Greatest year in KU basketball and KU athletics history! I have waited 20 years for another national championship and got spoiled in 88' because I had a KU basketball championship just 3 years after the Royals won a World Series in 85'. I thought it would be cool to be celebrating a championship every 2 or 3 years. Oh, how I was wrong. All the terrible Royals seasons, all the treacherous KU football seasons, Chiefs letdowns, it all was washed away last night. I will cherish this championship for sure. I know how tough it is to win it all now. Thanks to coach Self and all the basketball players for an AWESOME year. As a season ticket holder, I got to see a lot of great plays and can honestly say there was something different about this team. The "team" mentality was a huge factor in their success. Most wins in KU basketball history, Big XII Champions, Big XII Tourney Champs, #1 seed, an epic win over UNC in the Nat'l Semis and an excellent, memory-filled National Championship game that culminated in a KU Championship is quite the resume boys. Combine that with the football teams' success and you have the greatest academic year of all time to be a Jayhawk!!

Rockonku 6 years, 5 months ago

Well as we all probably already figured Roy did not gain any tar heel friends last night. While there are plenty of Tar Heels that it didn't bother there are others that are out for blood.There were comments that suggested that Roy is still so in love with the Jayhawks that he basically threw the game or didn't even try to prepare his team for the matchup. Other comments suggested that if Bill took the offer at OSU that KU would be giving Roy a call. Some thought it showed his loyalty as 50/50 and questioned his ability to be an effective coach while some thought it was very disrespectful to his team and at least one thought he should be fired immediatly.Now remember this is not all the Tar Heels that feel this way but I can't help but think that this is going to get blown way out of proportion.What made me so very proud is the way some of our Kansas fans are on the board trying to put out the fire by explaining the past situation and that he just wanted us to know how much the Jayhawks still mean to him. He stood behind us last night in front of the nation. I too will join the others and stand up for him today in front of his critics.

Rockonku 6 years, 5 months ago

dagger108.... I stand correctedCole Aldrich... did not even realize I had typed Aldrige. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.

Rockonku 6 years, 5 months ago

dagger108... I stand corrected Cole Aldrich...I did not even realized I had typed Aldrige.Too much excitement!!! My apologies for the oversite!

jahawkdave 6 years, 5 months ago

Rock Chalk! Thanks to Self, Staff and all Players for a great year and greater game. KU won this game! Period! I'm sick of hearing how Memphis lost this game we held them to 68 in 45 minutes of ball. We made shots when we had to and we didn't even play close to our best game of the season.I think it took some balls for Roy to wear that sticker and it shouldn't be that big of deal, the media blows everything out of proportion.My thought on Self and OSU, I tried to look at it from a different view, if I was a winning football coach at Oklahoma or Texas and Kansas wanted me to come back Home to coach at Kansas and was offering more money to do so, but if my family supported me I would go to Kansas in a heart beat, even though it would be looked at as a step down (even though I currently don't think it is, but overall history yes) I'm KU all the way no matter what school at the time is paying me. I think there is a very good chance that Self will go, but the fact that he started in college coaching game at Kansas does give him some history with KU in that perspective. He did say coaches always like to build things and I think he may felt winning last night considers Kansas built for him.

jaw7621 6 years, 5 months ago

I remember being 11 years old and not quite grasping how cool it was that a team from 20 minutes away (I lived in Lansing) was winning the national title. I solidified my love for KU when we moved away from KS to Germany for my Dad's military reassignment. Having that as a part of my identity to talk about with other kids from all over the country was a ton of fun. Those kids always respected KU, and Ol' Roy. Twenty years later, and it's the first time that a team I love has won the pinnacle of it's sport. Rock Chalk. Sorry to get all sentimental, but this is pretty meaningful to me. BTW, everyone should go to CBS and get an account so that they can add KU and bring up the fan numbers... KU currently ranks 5th with 3 and 4 being Wisconsin and Ohio State! Not acceptable is it?

actorman 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, that's great, KU! I hadn't even realized that. How perfect."All of us are walking with our head up and a smile on our face like we just saw boobies for the first time."Classic!"Hey b.rush haters...where you at?"As far as I know, Bill Mayer still works for the Journal-World."Bobby Knight, Digger Phelps, Dick Vitale and all the GameDay crew couldn't stop talking about how Memphis lost the game and gave KU no credit!!!!"Admittedly they spent a lot of time talking about Memphis's collapse, but let's not go overboard. They also gave PLENTY of credit to KU. Jay Bilas put it best: he said that Memphis gave it away but KU took it. There's no question that it was a combination of the two. They talked about how KU had taken advantage of every opportunity. So I thought it was pretty fair."... when Taggart slammed the ball down because he was mad. The commentators said he was just mad at himself. So... he was still mad."It wasn't really the commentators, it was that overrated idiot Billy Packer. When he talked about how that was good officiating it made me sick to my stomach. I was screaming at the TV, "You fkin' ahole, it should be a technical!" Either something's a technical or it isn't; I'm so sick of that mantra of the refs not deciding the game. To those of you who think the refs should call things differently in the last seconds of a game than in the rest of it, let me ask you this: Where do you draw the line? Should they have called a technical if there were 43 seconds left? What about 1:12? 5:00? It's ridiculous to say there's some arbitrary point where the normal rules of basketball don't apply."does anyone know where I can go to find KU radio calls from last night's title game?"That's a great question. I would love to hear the local perspective. Anyone? Anyone?

rockchalk80 6 years, 5 months ago

It's great to be a Jayhawk! What a feeling ---Congrats to Super Mario, Bill Self, Rush, Kaun, Jackson, Arthur, Collins, Robinson, Aldrich and the rest of the players and staff!2008 NCAA National Champions... can't wait until they hang the banner!!!

Greg Lux 6 years, 5 months ago

I breaks my heart to think that mario might not return ... He has been my favorate player the last 2 yrs and I just hope he hangs around to finish school and of course play a little basketball

OklahomaJayhawk5 6 years, 5 months ago

I think it is hilarious that NO ONE picked Memphis to get to the final four, let alone the title game. BUT THEN when they actually get there, everyone thinks they are invincible!!!!! Ole Billy Packer was on their n*** the whole game. Oh how sweet it is!!!!!

NH_JHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Fox Sports Radio on XM satellite radio kept playing the audio of the Bob Davis/Chris Piper call on Mario's 3. They also played the final game call over and over. I need to get the audio clip of those calls b/c they sent chills down my spine. Must've gotten chills 20x today.For those of you who have XM, how sweet was it to hear TJ Rives (Memphis alum and host of College Basketball Coast to Coast) concede defeat to KU. He played that damn Memphis fight song every day last week on the show. Still love the show TJ!

speedy 6 years, 5 months ago

maybe its just me but thought the jayhawk on roy was sorta an apology to ku. just maybe hes sorry he upset so many KU people by the way he left. i for one no longer have the dislike i had before KU clobbered them sat. revenge was sweet. so was monday. now on with my life w/o espn.

Geekinout 6 years, 5 months ago

Thank you father for instilling the University of Kansas Jayhawk spirit and love onto me. Without you taking me to all those games growing up and watching the Hawks with you, I would have never known passion for such a thing could ever exist. I will always remember and cherish those times we had and it saddens me deeply that you could not be here for the most recent success I've been blessed to witness. However, with that passion that was passed onto you from your father and the passion that you shared with me lets me know that in spirit you both were there. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Chicago_JHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

If I'm not mistaken, Mario will have his jersey hanging from the rafters by being named MOP. I think that's one of the criteria, right?

estaboy 6 years, 5 months ago

All I want to say is thank you to the 2008 Men's National Champions and the 2008 Orange Bowl Champion Kansas Jayhawks! This has been one of the best years of my life! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!

smitty33 6 years, 5 months ago

Ahhhhhhh, Here's to all you pessimists like jross and KU that thought we sucked after losing to OSU. I think the turning point to the year was the meeting at Henry T's and the thumping of KSU on March 1st. I thought the game last night would come down to our 3 point shooting. Wow, I can't believe how wrong I was... We KICKED BUTT inside! Arthur has been very inconsistent, but decided to DELIVER Last night!! THanks for not disappearing like Julian did in his last game. Collins.... I lhate you, I love you, I hate you, should be a fun next year.I say we BOOOOO DIcky V next time he's at Allen... Him saying "rock Chalk" after the game is too little, too late. I thought for a minute the biased CBS announcers were going to blame Rose's first half on a 'stomach ailment' ... PATHETIC.

JayCeph 6 years, 5 months ago

Solomon, you are a wise one. I like your dissection of the 'moment.' Nice.