Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Self on OSU: ‘I’m not a candidate’

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self's April 1 pre-Final Four press conference

KU coach Bill Self met with the media in Hadl Auditorium Tuesday to discuss the upcoming Final Four, in which his team is part of history, with all four one-seeds having advanced to San Antonio. Self talked in-depth about gameplanning for North Carolina, plus again denied rumors that he will ...

Download podcast

Audio clips

2007-08 April 1 Pre-Final Four KU Media Day

At his Tuesday press conference leading up to Saturday's national semifinals - during which Bill Self heard a more firm confirmation of Oklahoma State's Sean Sutton being out as the Cowboys' head coach - the Kansas University coach again diffused rumors that he'd be a candidate for the opening.

"If it has been done, I feel bad for Sean, because I feel his team got better over the course of the year. I do care deeply about my alma mater. Spent 11 years of my life at OSU," Self said. "But nobody from there has contacted me, and if they did, I would strongly recommend they move in another direction."

Added KU athletics director Lew Perkins Tuesday afternoon: "Nobody has called me from Oklahoma State, which I would assume they would have done that. We're going to do everything we possibly can to have Bill be our basketball coach here for a long, long time. I see no reason why that won't happen."

For more on this story, including full coverage of Tuesday's media session with Self and the KU players in Allen Fieldhouse, log back onto KUSports.com and pick up Wednesday's Journal-World.

Comments

JayhawkPurist 12 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad to see Coach Self using that kind of language. The guy is all class -- voicing his respect and concern for his alma mater, but at the same time honoring his current office at the same time.Let's turn our focus to Saturday's game. Go KU!

tis4tim 12 years, 3 months ago

Okay then. That's the end of that chapter.

Brett Gaul 12 years, 3 months ago

Self on OSU: "I'm not a candidate"That's all i needed to hear.

DocBean 12 years, 3 months ago

Of course he'll listen to what they have to offer. Hopefully we can match them dollar for dollar. However, here are the intangebles:1. IF he were to leave, he'd have to face KU at least once a year. Talk about uncomfortable.2. The OSU job isn't going anywhere, if he wanted to leave KU in 5 years or if the next coach isn't getting the job done, they probably will make room for him. The KU job isn't one you leave with any expectations of coming back.3. KU is better for recruiting, therefore a better long term deal. The better recruits you bring in, the better your chances of holding your job. Since Big Country can you name anyone that was a superstar from OSU? If Self were to go to OSU and not do well in 5 years, all of a sudden your Alma Mater is not as friendly a place as you remember.Could he leave, of course he could. We all have seen that before. Bottom line is if anyone offers you a job that pays more then your current job, and is located in a place you'd like to live, you listen.What I have to say is Lou, backup that truck and pay him whatever it takes, he is a top 5 coach, and great for KU.

DocBean 12 years, 3 months ago

Self NEVER said "I'm not a canidate"he said they haven't contacted him, and doesn't imagine they would in the situation that he's in - i.e. playing in the final 4.Don't quote someone out of context. Especially if they never even said what you are quoting.

kuksmith10 12 years, 3 months ago

DocBean,I suggest you read the third to last paragraph.

BaricL7 12 years, 3 months ago

You know it would be great if we could go to a final four and not have someone talking to our coach. Its getting old.

limey0 12 years, 3 months ago

Erm DocBean, you may want to finish the article before commenting next time.He did say it but not until he was exiting the auditorium...according to the article I just read anyway

Roadkill_Rob 12 years, 3 months ago

Uhhh, Docbean. He did say "I'm not a candidate."It's right in the article:After the press conference, while exiting Hadl Auditorium, he was even more firm, saying "I'm not a candidate."

cobweb 12 years, 3 months ago

Seriously folks. OSU? That's like kissing your sister after coaching the Jayhawks. Plus, you have to deal with Pickens.

pktwhawks 12 years, 3 months ago

He may not be a canidate now, but that does not mean he will not be tomorrow and suggesting they look somewhere else is not strong language. Strong language would be that they are wasting their time and I will not leave under any circumstance. But then again, we have heard that said before -- right.

Joe Ross 12 years, 3 months ago

DocBean..."After the press conference, while exiting Hadl Auditorium, he was even more firm, saying "I'm not a candidate."Dude, what you just wrote is embarrassing to yourself, mainly because youre so persnickety about quotes. Get it right if youre gonna go off on people, damn!

Carter Patterson 12 years, 3 months ago

DocBean...you obviously have trouble READING. "After the press conference, while exiting Hadl Auditorium, he was even more firm, saying "I'm not a candidate."

Jonathan Allison 12 years, 3 months ago

Bean - Did you watch the press conference? I would have liked to have seen it.The article says that after the press conference as he was leaving he said "I'm not a candidate." Maybe you didn't hear that part since it wasn't to a microphone. I don't think that Lew is going to have to adjust Self's compensation package to get him to stay with us. But he has done an excellent job this year and may be in line for an adjustment anyway.

JayhawkPurist 12 years, 3 months ago

pktwhawks, the language you list as "strong" is totally unrealistic. No one in any position of leadership would make such statements. More to the point, were Coach Self to use language such as "they're wasting their time", it's show a lack of class and respect for his alma mater. Again, Self is being as forceful as possible given the context.

pktwhawks 12 years, 3 months ago

I agree. Wasting your time may be a little harsh. However, I think he has left the door open. No???

northleavitt 12 years, 3 months ago

Yes, DocBean made a mistake, but I tend to agree that Self's comments did not close the door. "I'm not a candidate" could simply refer to the fact that OSU's AD has not formallly asked for Perkins' permission to speak with Self, which I believe is factually accurate. When does one become a candidate? It's arbitrary.Compare "I will not be a candidate for this position" versus "I'm not a candidate."

JayhawkPurist 12 years, 3 months ago

Self isn't leaving the door open. How much more clear can a guy be? Someone above made a good point that the OSU job lacks a lot of independence in that you'd have Pickens constantly bullying and pulling the strings of the athletics department. Why put up with that when you can be the man at KU, without question one of the top 5 jobs in college basketball?Again, I suggest we put our energy toward supporting Self, and for those of you who are still hungover from Williams' departure, fully embracing him for the first time. He's making a commitment to KU, and the KU faithful should honor that.

Michael Leiker 12 years, 3 months ago

End of story? Not leaving the door open? "I am not a candidate" does not necessarily rule him out. All it specifically says is that he is not currently being considered or considering the position. It's a time sensitive statement.

stickmantoo 12 years, 3 months ago

What was it that the last basketball coach at KU said..."I'm staying. I'm never leaving"uh huh.

KU 12 years, 3 months ago

End of story. Turn the page. If Bill Self had played at UCLA and UCLA just fired their coach I would be worried. But OSU? Come on people! Aren't we always lecturing people on the great history and tradition of KU basketball? There are only about 5 destination jobs in the country and OSU isn't one of them.

Bleed_Crimson_Blue 12 years, 3 months ago

Definitely NOT the end of the story. Go to ESPN.com and watch the interview. Reading the quotes seems to confirm he isn't interested, but actually watching it is another story. He seems very squirmish and reluctant to say it's not a possibility. Kinda scary...

JayhawkPurist 12 years, 3 months ago

For all those dissecting Self's comment about not being a cadidate ad infinitum, take a look at his first comment and be convinced: "I would strongly reccommend they move in another direction." I suggest that anyone who knows anything about statements to the media knows that this comment is as open and shut as one could be.

pktwhawks 12 years, 3 months ago

stickmantoo: EXACTLY. That is the point. This is not about supporting Self or not. He can stay as long as he wants, but he is replacable and if he decides he should move on -- he will move on. IF 3 millon a year is accurate and IF we would not match it, are you folks saying you would not at least think about that? Come on.

KU 12 years, 3 months ago

Come on Bleed.......maybe your brain is bleeding? At one point in his press conference Self started an analogy about whether people want to go back where they are from and then he thought better of it because he didn't want to put OSU down. He said something like "yeah, if the place you grew up was NICE (emphasis on nice) you might wanna go back." He left it at that because it sounded like he was inferring that--compared to KU--OSU is a slum apartment. Of course he doesn't want to hurt his alma mater. I would hope that OSU would have the sense to announce that they have approached Self and he is not interested and they are opening up a nationwide search. Otherwise, OSU will have seriously damaged their relationship with Self by their terribly-inept timing of this announcement.

mumpy1 12 years, 3 months ago

Why is that every time we are in a Final Four, the basketball coach is fired from our present coach's alma mater? When we were at the Final Four in New Orleans, the talk was more about whether Roy was going to leave than winning the Final Four! I hope this year is not a repeat.

tis4tim 12 years, 3 months ago

I think we're all for the most part a reasonable bunch on this site. Why are we worrying about this? What will happen is going to happen. Surely by now we know to never say never. That's life.All we've got is the now...in anything. And right now there are some goofy Tarheels and a team to be named later standing in our freaking way of something we all want. Let's go get it and not worry about anything else. I always hear people talk about Kansas basketball being bigger than any individual. Unless the people saying that are just paying lip service, then just as Kansas basketball was bigger than Roy, it is also bigger than Self. We will be fine whatever happens. For now, we have a great coach with a great team who is on the brink of something incredibly special. It's time to focus and not let anyone or anything stand in the way of that. Rock Chalk!

JayhawkPurist 12 years, 3 months ago

Bleed, do you follow KU basketball? Do you know Coach Self's mannerisms when talking to the press? His statements and body language was not at all out of the ordinary.

KUDB99 12 years, 3 months ago

Good grief...when did KU fans become as self loathing as Mizzou fans?If Coach would have said I am emphatically, without any doubt, no denying it, absolutely no other alternatives, under no other circumstances, without any other bias, not leaving KU, and I just can't entertain the idea of going to OSU, there would still be people on this board saying "I think he answered that statement too strongly, he has something to hide". I know we all got burned by Roy leaving the way he did, but I for one am going to give coach Self the benefit of the doubt. Besides, if T. Boone cuts loose with the checkbook and gives him an offer he can't refuse, then so be it. KU is bigger than any one player and any one coach.I don't believe this is an issue, and I only believe this is a distraction because people allow themselves to be distracted.

rcaltrider 12 years, 3 months ago

Ok, going from KU to UNC is one thing, like breaking up with Jessica Biel to date Jessica Alba. Going from KU to OSU is a couple of steps down, like breaking up with Jessica Biel to date Star Jones! Nobody in their right mind would do that.

jayhawk_in_iowa 12 years, 3 months ago

I could see Coach Self leaving if he won the National Championship, that would bemission accomplished for him and add in the fact that some of the players are to graduate or go to the NBA after the season. And if he won the National Championship he could pretty demand any salary and or perks from KU, OSU or any other university.

JayhawkPurist 12 years, 3 months ago

I adopt tis4tim's take entirely and bow out. I for one don't want to be characterized as having an inferiority complex.

jahawkdave 12 years, 3 months ago

This is a no win situation and sucks it is happening at this time. If he just doesn't comment then it seems like he is interested, if he flat out says he is not a candidate or not interested (which he has to) then he's called a liar if he leaves. I think all coaches across the board, should take the stance of not commenting on jobs until their season is over, then we wouldn't have to hear reporters ask it over and over (Bonnie Bitchstein). The KU fans that are still bitching and hating Roy for leaving makes all KU fans look somewhat pathetic. We are 1 of a handful of Elite tradition rich programs in the country and no coach or player is above that. Why would we want anyone here that wanted to be at another school, and why do we need to get so upset about a coach leaving regardless of how bad they handle it. Self I hope you stay, good luck if you don't and A&M sorry we will be bringing Turg home.

jahawkdave 12 years, 3 months ago

rcaltriderI agree but it's a different story if say Star Jones swalnevermind

justanotherfan 12 years, 3 months ago

So can we get back to talking about how we are going to beat UNC and then either Memphis or UCLA, or do we need to break down what Coach Self said some more?He said what he said... now lets talk about defending Hansborough, or forcing Lawson into turnovers, or keeping Kevin Love from hitting long outlets to UCLA's guards, or whether zoning up Memphis is a good idea. Anything but this OSU bull....

KUDB99 12 years, 3 months ago

thank you 'Justanoth....'I couldn't agree more.....

bmkjayhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

It's really starting to hit me how big of a game this weekend is. It took a couple days (and five years, I guess) for it to sink in.

NH_JHawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Seriously? We have to do this again at Final Four time? I agree justanotherfan...I'd much rather talk about the game than this coaching carousel. Good grief!

northleavitt 12 years, 3 months ago

While KU "is [certainly] be bigger than one player and any one coach," the timing of this is horrible because we are two games away from our first national championship in 20 years.Unfortunately, this topic is not going to go away after the press conference. Self will continue to field the OSU questions this week and the players will, too. In my opinion, he could have been more emphatic and yet polite to his alma mater at the same. These concepts are not mutually-exclusive.

dirkleisure 12 years, 3 months ago

The real story here is the frenzy.Bill Self could walk out of Allen Fieldhouse wearing a "F*** OSU" t-shirt and it would have no effect on the frenzy.The frenzy is the story.

hawk_bred20 12 years, 3 months ago

tis4tim has it right. What can we do about it? Just quit bitching please. Self said that he and Lew would get together after the season just like they had planned to do all year (to work out a new deal I'm sure) and everything is going to be fine. Even if the unthinkable did happen, we'll get someone else like a Turg or another great coach. Calm down! We have a game to win!

Jonathan Allison 12 years, 3 months ago

rcaltriderDid you actually steal that analogy from Dick Vitale? If so I hope you know that we are all very, very ashamed of you

ChicagoJHawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Self is not leaving. I did however want to address 1 point that a few people have brought up & that's the fact that everyone thinks he will get better recruits coaching Kansas. We've all seen what a great recruiter the guy is. He recruited all those NBA caliber players when he was @ Illinois & they ended up going to the championship game in 05. Like I said, he's NOT going anywhere, but I wouldn't use the recruiting argument as a reason why because he'll always find a way to recruit the best talent out there regardless of what school he's at.

hawk_bred20 12 years, 3 months ago

Doug Gottleib on ESPN: "A less than 5% chance Self would go there at this point in his career".I think it's safe to say that something like this could happen someday, but not now. Self hasn't really built a legacy here yet and I'm sure he aspires to do that.

hawkitup 12 years, 3 months ago

Even when Roy said he wasn't leaving for UNC, I always had my doubts because it was North Carolina. However, if Bill Self says he's not a canidate for the OSU job I believe it because, like eeveryone said, that would be a step down from KU. It doesn't get much better than what he's got right now. I don't care how much money OSU puts on the table.

HawkFanEddie 12 years, 3 months ago

Why is this not headline story on KUSport.com. It's time to get over good ole' Roy. We have a great coach and a cool guy. He WANTS to be at KU and he will be here winning for a LOOOONNNNGGGGG time. Can we FINALLY give Bill Self the love he deserves???

Marcia Parsons 12 years, 3 months ago

Poor guy is in a tough spot. He probably doesn't want to say that he'd never leave KU for a crappy basketball school like OSU even if it is his Alma Mater. He's trying to make it clear he doesn' want to leave without hurting any feelings at OSU. No wonder he looked uncomfortable at the news conference.

d_prowess 12 years, 3 months ago

If people don't want to talk/read so much about this development, please leave. This is the message board for this article and so all this talk comes with it. I wanted to read it and found it interesting (and no, I don't think Self with leave). However, to the point some have made that we should be talking about the match-up with UNC, I also agree. And to that, I hope the LJ World is ready to move past the Roy-KU storyline that had to be covered and will dedicate some space to the game that will actually be played. I know a lot of people want to read about the match-up and will comment on how they think it will turn out.

ku98 12 years, 3 months ago

rcaltrider, I almost wet my pants reading your post, and I could not agree more...BUT I am not so sure Coach Self won't at least listen to Pickens and ponder the offer, especially if it is for 3-4 mil a year. Plus he wouldn't have to deal with so-called KU fans who want his head every time we lose a game.I think he is the right guy for KU, and KU is the right program for him, but I hate for it to become a distraction, 4 days away from our biggest game since Syracuse in 2003.

rawkhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

I think a moment of zen is in order. We should take Self at his word that he's not a candidate and OSU should look elsewhere. Let's focus on carolina! Go KU!

William Cormode 12 years, 3 months ago

Jahawkdave said:"This is a no win situation and sucks it is happening at this time. If he just doesn't comment then it seems like he is interested, if he flat out says he is not a candidate or not interested (which he has to) then he's called a liar if he leaves. I think all coaches across the board, should take the stance of not commenting on jobs until their season is over, then we wouldn't have to hear reporters ask it over and over (Bonnie Bitchstein).The KU fans that are still bitching and hating Roy for leaving makes all KU fans look somewhat pathetic..... Why would we want anyone here that wanted to be at another school, and why do we need to get so upset about a coach leaving regardless of how bad they handle it."You must not have been around for the whole Roy era. The problem was not that he denied during the Final Four and then left. The problem was that he had the chance for the job once and refused it. In the press conference he said he was going to "Die or be fired as a Jayhawk" and then when the job opened again he took it. If he truly wanted it and didnt want to be here he could have taken it the first time with only a little anger for him. But that didnt happen and thats why we are bitter.The truth is that Bill is a million time better of a person and a coach than Roy and I am happy that Roy left so we could get Bill. But I am still mad at Roy and I will always hate him.

halvhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

i dont think the strongest statement he made was the one about not being a candidate, but when he said if they were to contact him, he would strongly urge them to look in another direction...to me thats the end of the story, that there is basically saying even if they do call, im saying no. when roy said he didn't give a sh** about UNC, remember he was 5 minutes removed from losing the NC, a game in which all reality wouldnt have been a game had KU made 1/2 their FTs...anyways...of course he didnt care about UNC at that point.......and even if he were to leave, this is kansas BB, we can go handpick 95% of any other coaches in the nation...no worries..maybe even someone like Isiah Thomas?...ok bad joke...oh well, coach said he wouldnt take it if they did offer him, to me thats the end of the story...and lets not fool ourselves, sure OSU can offer him lots of money, but there is no shortage of money at KU either, not to mention Lew said he would do "everything possible" to keep him...to me, this is a non story

halvhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

also, i just found the full quote on rivals.com, so anyone who was nitpicking the "im not a candidate..." here is the whole thing...."I am not even a candidate for the job," Self said of Oklahoma State. "I will be back I am not going anywhere."

jahawkdave 12 years, 3 months ago

I was there for years 1-10 of the Roy era and met him several times when I worked at KUAC. I'm not saying the way he left was the best way, but people change their minds and the circumstances with the AD at the time were not good, (I was not there for that). So the job came open unexpectedly and gave him a second chance to take it and his current situation with his boss at the time was not good so he left. Big deal it's over with been over with 5 years can't we just say thanks or nothing at all and move on. Just as I'm not a Roy hater I'm not a Roy booster I appreciate what he did at KU and think he's a damn good coach, he's at NC now so I really don't pay attention, other than reading peoples constant negative comments about him, which I beleive makes us look silly. KU is above Roy Williams and any other coach. I think it would be classless if he were booed by KU fans on Saturday, and fine if they didn't clap for him either. I personally would clap.

Ed Fox 12 years, 3 months ago

He's not going anywhere.But if he were....go get Larry Brown for 3-4 years to train up Danny and then hand over the reigns...

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 3 months ago

Regardless, I lost what respect I had for OSU. You don't pull this sh*t the week of the Final Four when one of your fellow conference schools (who happens to have what is routinely rumored to be your first-choice coach) is playing for a national championship. Totally class-less in my book!!!!

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 3 months ago

I don't think Roy ever uttered anything close to what Bill said. I think Roy said something to the effect of "no comment."

Ed Fox 12 years, 3 months ago

Just watched the video on ESPN. When asked if he'd been contacted, he said no, and then said that they shouldn't contact him because of his situation and how much he likes being here. He also said that he spoke with Lew once he heard to news to let Lew know what was going to be talked about a lot. He's here, he's happy here (why wouldn't he be) and he's going to stay here.

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 3 months ago

If Self were to leave, it would be ALL about the $$$.OSU, other than T. Boone Pickens' deep pockets, has NOTHING on KU!!!!

actorman 12 years, 3 months ago

"Doug Gottleib on ESPN: 'A less than 5% chance Self would go there at this point in his career.'"That means even more than it would otherwise, given that Gottleib played for OSU."I will be back I am not going anywhere."Thanks, halvhawk, for posting that. If that's not definitive, I don't know what is.

RonBurgandy 12 years, 3 months ago

This would be like leaving a CEO job at one company and taking a receptionist job at another company. That said, it still worries me. I can't shake the feeling entirely. Self is one of the best coaches in basketball. Anyone who would be happy about him leaving knows jack about basketball.Coach Self - stay here, stay at the most tradition rich basketball school in the country. There is no job higher/better, especially at OSU. Lew - spend the money.

William Cormode 12 years, 3 months ago

Bring back Eddie the drunk? I dont know what sense that makes. I think K-State should have fired Delonte Hill after he got a DUI after the KU game. There should be no tolerance for drunk driving in this country, especially when the person is an educator.

CherryCreekHawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Let him go. What's he done for KU? One of the greatest programs in America and he's deliver what...one Final Four by the skin of his teeth. And the timing of this is just great. Maybe he'll be in Stillwater by week's end.No big loss. KU doesn't have a prayer against Roy anyway.

greg robinson 12 years, 3 months ago

I think this is a lot different than 2003. Williams never definitively answered the question as to whether he was interested in the NC job. He was evasive and deferred his response until after the final four was over. I've always thought the media "frenzy" surrounding that and its effect on the players was a big part of the loss in the championship game. This feels a lot better and I hope the team gets the message (and some private reassurance from him).

rtjayhawk 12 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone wonder if the "I don't give a sh!t about OSU" quote is coming up next? Self has done so much for us since Ol' faithful Roy ditched us...it would be a shame for him to leave such a tradition-rich school as KU. I agree, it would be a step down (or 4), but Alma Maters have a way of tugging on hearts. I just hope it doesn't pull him in.

William Cormode 12 years, 3 months ago

Hey CherryCreekHawk. You should remove the "Hawk" from your name. You obviously are not a KU fan nor do you have any concept of what makes a good coach. To say that Ku doesn't have a prayer is idiotic. Go back to the Mizzery or KSU boards from whence you came.

Dan Harris 12 years, 3 months ago

sooballs- I hope the friggen door DOES hit you where the good lord split you and and makes you spill your purple blood all over your black and gold sneakers!

jaw7621 12 years, 3 months ago

Way off topic here, but did any of you catch the opening of PTI on ESPN? It had me going for a second.

William Cormode 12 years, 3 months ago

Yeah I saw PTI but people had been trying to trick me about things all day so I was not trusting anything. I laughed all the way through the segment.

William Cormode 12 years, 3 months ago

rockchalk - Name a time when Self was out coached and why?

jhox 12 years, 3 months ago

I give Bill credit for making a definitive statement whether he lives by it or not. At least he didn't in effect say no comment by refusing to address the questions, which is what Williams did in 2003 during final 4 week. It was unquestionably a big distraction and I believe our underclassmen, especially, were distracted by the possibility of Roy leaving for Carolina. That very easily could have helped contribute to the 3 point margin of victory for Syracuse. I'll never forget how Roy seemed to be seperating himself emotionally from the underclassmen that week. Everything was Nick this and Kirk that...those guys deserved the love, but hardly a word was said about Wayne, Aaron and Keith. I had a strong suspicion at the time that Roy had already decided to leave by final 4 week. I've always said I can forgive Roy for going back to his alma mater. What I'll never forgive is that he allowed the Carolina opening to be a big distraction during one of the biggest weeks of his and his player's careers. I would have been much happier with him if he had said in no uncertain terms "I have no interest in that job and I plan to stay at Kansas." Then, after the championship game he could have said, "I'm sorry, but I felt I had to lie to keep it from being a distraction to my players and to the fans of KU basketball. I lied to protect our chances of winning a national championship." At least if T. Boone throws $50 million at Self, and he changes his mind, he can have a clean conscience that his actions didn't affect the team during final 4 week. I personally wouldn't trade Bill Self for 1000 Roy Williams and assuming he lives up to his word, I hope KU fans finally fully embrace him and give him the unwaivering love he deserves from us. I believe someone else commented on this as well...If I'm Bill Self I would be really pis*ed at OSU's timing (of Sutton's firing) during final 4 week, and the last thing I would do is reward them by accepting the job.

kujaydoc 12 years, 3 months ago

Wait, I know, Coach Self has been outcoached over the last 5 years by taking teams all the way to 2 Elite Eights and now a Final Four appearance, 4 Big XII regular season and 3 Big XII Conference titles, the all time highest winning percentage in the University of Kansas basketball history....For those dissatisfied with our current coach, who do you propose to replace him? Watch out for what you wish for because your unrealistic and illogical expectations may drive him away. And it is assured that we would be unable to replace him with a top 5 coach in the country, and thus we would be downgrading. No thanks.

Ed Fox 12 years, 3 months ago

Those saying Bill gets out coached - he's lost 3 games this year - out of 38. That's doing pretty good for a guy getting out coached "all the time." Stupid idiots.

jaybate 12 years, 3 months ago

Dear Coach Self,I've been wondering why you've looked a little more wrung out than usual lately. I suspect it is because T. Boone has made clear that you and your family can have tens of millions of dollars in a hurry if you will come to Stillwater and coach OSU. I am going to take another tack than many of the other posters above.I am going to say: do your best coaching the team through the next two games. Notice I said two games which means you will succeed in beating Roy's Heels. I do not know if you can beat Memphis, or UCLA, but I believe you and your team can beat UNC. I believe our two 5s--Arthur and Kaun--are going to put a lot of heat and muscle inside and out on Hansbrough and Psycho T is going to wind up looking like he is on the proper meds for a change. He'll get 22 pts and 7 reebs. Our post combo will get 22 points and 11 reebs. KU EVEN.Next, I believe Sherron is going to play the game of his life against Ty Lawson. If ever there were an ideal match up for Sherron, it is Lawson. Two fire plugs going at it for a game. They each score about 15 points. KU EVEN.Chalmers and Russell will have to struggle with all of UNC's true twos and will likely be out scored by 8. KU -7.Brandon locks down on UNC's 3 and hits his treys. KU +8.I believe Darnell Jackson will play the game of his life against Roy. KU +7KU beats UNC by 8.Next, I have no idea what will happen against Memphis.Next, you go interview with OSU and here is where it gets dicey.I want you to stay, but I believe you have to go Stillwater for the beau coup bucks in order to ice your children's futures. And you'll have James Anderson to build around; the guy you wanted for KU before the stupid recruiting violations scared him away.And we'll have Danny Manning.And that's the way it will go down.And I am okay with it, though my heart will break when you do what has to be done.You are a good man, Coach Self. I don't want you to feel bad about doing what you have to do. Roy did what he had to do. You must too. The unexpected happens. Who knew T. Boone would want to make your children independently wealthy? I'm for doing right by your own kids first. Your picture will go up in the field house as one of our great ones who's career at KU was cut short by a quirk of fate.Who knows?Phog Allen left KU and he came back a few years later.If you can fill the bank for your kids, we'll leave a light on in the window for you.If Danny struggles, you can come back in three years and resume your winning ways.I don't want you to feel like you will be treated like Roy has been. His was a different deal. He left us with violations and with a lot of excuses.If you go, you will leave us with the knowledge that you were icing your kids future.I am down with that, Coach Self.You will always be a Jayhawk in my book no matter what you do.Best regards,jaybate

Dan Harris 12 years, 3 months ago

God jabate that sounds way to believable, I hope your wrong.

Ed Fox 12 years, 3 months ago

Sorry, if Bill leaves because of money - and if that's the choice he makes so be it (though I don't believe it will be) - he will not have a light left on for him. KU doesn't take backseat for any person. KU is bigger than one man - even one I want as sincerely as I want Bill Self as coach. If he leaves, then the Self era will be permanently over.That all being said - Coach made his intentions clear. I'm taking him at his word. How about some basketball talk? Like Brandon being named to the Wooden All-American team. Or Brandon, Mario, and Darrell being named AP Honorable Mention All-American? Those are great honors for those guys and well deserved. Coach will have a chance to coach many more like them here at KU in the future.

Marcia Parsons 12 years, 3 months ago

Good heavens, jaybate. Did I just read that?

jayloco 12 years, 3 months ago

Fellow Jayhawk Fans,I think BS is as honest as he can be right now. I think we are being naive if we don't think he could change his mind in the week after the Final Four. I would love to take him at his word, but fool me once shame on me, fool me twice...I am not saying he is leaving, I am just saying that we would be foolish to think there is no way he would leave. I agree with others that it is bull that OSU would do this at this time. There is no reason for them to hurry their situation and it shows a lack of respect for coach Self. To put him in this position is BS. F' Boone Pickens and all his cash. You stay classy OSU!!!

KURUSH1530 12 years, 3 months ago

Hmm, I just saw some footage from his press conference on ESPN and he sure didn't say "no, he wasn't interested". He said, "It could happen,but i'd be telling them right now it shouldn't"...then he said "if you love where you grew up, it would definitely be a draw"..atleast he's honest, but i still don't think that guy would leave KU to stay in conference..

actorman 12 years, 3 months ago

KURush, did you read any of the comments above????? This has already been dealt with. It's not so much what he said during the press conference but AFTER the press conference: ""I will be back I am not going anywhere." You can't get any more definitive than that.I'm not 100% convinced he couldn't change his mind, but at least have your facts straight when you make a comment.

William Cormode 12 years, 3 months ago

How surprising, no one can describe a time Bill Self was out coached. Now everyone shut up and understand that Self is the best possible coach that we could have.

rockchalk80 12 years, 3 months ago

I won't worry about Mr. Self leaving until next Tuesday... but I have been laughing at all the folks who can't seem to spell "candidate"...hehehehehecadidatecanidate