Friday, September 14, 2007

Big-time recruit Morgan visits KU

Robinson on Cousy list

Kansas University senior Russell Robinson has been named a candidate for the 2008 Bob Cousy Award, which goes to college basketball's top point guard. Other Big 12 players on the 40-person list: Curtis Jerrells, Baylor; D.J. Augustin, Texas and Stefhon Hannah, Missouri.

One of the best - and definitely one of the biggest - high school basketball players in the country will be on Kansas University's campus this weekend.

J'Mison Morgan, a 6-foot-10, 270-pound shot-blocking and rebounding machine out of Dallas South Oak Cliff High, makes his official recruiting visit to KU this afternoon through Sunday morning.

He'll be easy to spot at Saturday night's KU-Toledo football game, sitting next to his former high school and Urban DFW AAU teammate - 6-foot-9 KU sophomore Darrell Arthur.

"He is a giant among men - well, boys," writes Aggrey Sam of SLAM Magazine. "He has great hands, improving post moves and footwork, nice passing ability. He finishes, blocks shots and rebounds with a lot of power."

Morgan visited LSU last weekend and also has Alabama, Kentucky Cincinnati and UCLA on his list.

He's definitely somebody KU coach Bill Self would like to come in to make up for the departure of senior big men Sasha Kaun and Darnell Jackson.

"J'Mison Morgan is powerful, definitely one of the best players in his class," Shay Wildeboor of Rivals.com said of his company's No. 23-ranked player.

"He has the ability to come in and be a force on the defensive end. He's done a great job re-committing himself to basketball. He's lost a tremendous amount of weight. He started the summer ranked in the 80s. He's now ranked 23. That's the jump he's made and the improvement he's made in people's eyes."

Morgan is more of a true inside threat than Arthur, who can drift inside and out.

"J'Mison is a completely different player than Darrell," South Oak Cliff coach James Mays said. "He's an old-school center that's big and takes up a lot of space in the middle.

Morgan does have something in common with Arthur - a colorful nickname. Whereas Arthur is known as "Slim Shady," Morgan goes by the monicker "Bobo."

"His hair was kind of like Bozo, but his older brother couldn't say 'Bozo.' He said, 'Bobo,' so we carried it over from when he was little to now," Morgan's mom, Bianca, said in an interview this summer with the Journal-World at the Honda Classic AAU event in Shawnee.

'"Bobo' - that's what everybody calls him," she added.

Morgan, who has a near-perfect grade-point average and is ranked No. 4 in his senior class, also answers to a second nickname given him by his AAU teammates.

That's "Coach" for his leadership qualities on the foor.

"He tries to take my spot at times," DFW Elite coach Jazzy Hartwell said. "In practice, we'll be in a debate, and I'll be like, 'OK, 'Coach,' I'm the coach.' But he really understands the game. For a guy to be 6-10 and have a 3.8 GPA : he really understands a lot about the game. He knows not to force it. He's the best passing big guy I've ever had. He's unselfish."

As to where he'll go to college : that's a good question. Morgan will let everybody know on his birthday, which is Nov. 2, a week before the start of the early signing period.

"Darrell Arthur is my friend. He talks a lot about, is pretty heavy about Kansas. They are pretty high on my list," Morgan said recently. "I've got to have a good living environment, good relationship with the coaches and teammates and probably playing time."

Of coach Self, Morgan noted: "He's a good coach. He jokes around a lot. When it's time to get serious, he's serious."

Comments

jayhwkroks 12 years, 8 months ago

A good student and athlete! A perfect match KU if you ask me. Come on Coach self, don' t let this one get away. ROCKCHAWK JAYHAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy LeMaster 12 years, 8 months ago

He would be great pairing with Cole underneath and Darrell if he is still here next year. Come to KU! You would be great in the Crimson and Blue!

KEITHMILES05 12 years, 8 months ago

Bobo is much better name than Bozo. Yikes.

okjhok 12 years, 8 months ago

ROCKCHAWK??? I agree, Bobo looks legit. I mentioned yesterday that I was concerned with his weight and motor, but apparently he's lost weight, which might imply a little dedication...which is nice.

Christopher Johnson 12 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like the kind of quality guy we need. Bring in these classy kids, Self!

justanotherfan 12 years, 8 months ago

6-10, 270 is huge at any level. That's like Al Horford size, and we all see what he did at Florida. If Morgan can come in and do those types of things for KU then he can become a great back line defender to protect the rim, allowing Mario and Sherron and others to really get after people on the perimeter with a shotblocker behind him.

JayCeph 12 years, 8 months ago

My birthday is on November 2 as well. I think the signs are all there... Boo'Mison Morgan needs to go to KU. It's destiny.

Andrew Kong 12 years, 8 months ago

"For a guy to be 6-10 and have a 3.8 GPA : he really understands a lot about the game."

The correlation seems a little off-base.

JayCeph 12 years, 8 months ago

I think they are saying that, according to size, knowledge is inversely proportionate.

Look at a Brontosaurus... huge animal but after the information finally filtered all the way to the top of the brain-stem, there wasn't a lot of cognitive retention. Sort of like a giant moving plant. Also, take the purchase of a large car... real dumb now that gas prices are so high and now that there is such an eco-(green)friendly emphasis on the auto industry. Conversely, look at the Smart Car... small. (There is a lot of logic to this argument, don't you think?)

That is why they are so surprised by this development. This guy is big and smart. Just unheard of in today's climate...

(*disclaimer: there is no way in hell these points should be taken seriously)

quigley 12 years, 8 months ago

Fans at tomorrows football game......WE WANT BOBO..WE WANT BOBO Chant!!!!!

DocBean 12 years, 8 months ago

A coach on the Court, this is what we need. I love coaches kids coming in because the understand the game, it sounds like although he's not a coaches kid he understands the game, and that's huge.

And speaking of huge sounds like Mangino should talk to this kid too, 6'10" 270??? dang! Makes me mad at my short parents for my short genes.

I can't wait to hear what the Allen Fieldhouse faithful will come up with for chearing on BoBo!!!!

kubb 12 years, 8 months ago

It sounds like this kid has more than one talent. I hope he comes to KU to play basketball. I hope he leaves with a degree! That way, neither of his talents would go to waste.

Ray March 12 years, 8 months ago

Next, he needs to "visit his mom", and smack her in the mouth for giving him that name.

Morgansraider 12 years, 8 months ago

We need to put the push on this weekend for this kid. Give the kid a taste of the celebrity that goes with being a basketball star at Kansas.

wi_jayhawk 12 years, 8 months ago

I really hope we get this guy! That would be a good start in filling the major holes left by our soon-to-be graduates! Shady, keep on this guy, so that Bobo wears the Crimson and Blue next year!

justanotherfan 12 years, 8 months ago

I know its probably a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be nice to see Darrell and J'Mison in the front court together. I have a feeling they would compliment each other quite nicely. Like I said, that's probably a pipe dream, but its a nice dream to have.

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 12 years, 8 months ago

I watched J'mison play at Oken Field house in Kansas City. I wasn't to impressed with how he played. He kind of looked like a really lazy player. He also picked up a lot stupid fouls early in the game. I am sure he has the potential to be a great player.

hometownhawk 12 years, 8 months ago

I'm with ya on the "We want Bobo" chant, quigley.

DSommersby 12 years, 8 months ago

Hope BoBo has a great time! Lawrence is a great place to go to school and play ball.

BigTamale 12 years, 8 months ago

Docbean,

Sounds like Herm Edwards could use him at O-Tackle and give Damon Huard some time to throw! You're right, this guy is big.

ralsterKUMed95 12 years, 8 months ago

Also, this kid is 17 or 18?-- There is a 20-40% chance he may add another inch or two in final height(!) (ie; 20-40% of males will finalize their height by the age of 19-20...) From the GPA and the understanding of the game, seems this guy could be an all around winner for KU. What a nice fit, if we can get him.

Kirk 12 years, 8 months ago

Our team is one "old school center" away from finally making the final four.