Monday, October 29, 2007

Nebraska quarterback Sam Keller out for season

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan confirmed Monday that quarterback Sam Keller will miss the rest of the season with a shoulder injury, starting with Saturday's game against Kansas University.

Keller hurt his shoulder late in the Huskers' 28-25 loss to Texas. Backup Joe Ganz will start Saturday against the Jayhawks.

Keller, who has started all nine games this season for Nebraska, finished by going 205-of-325 for 2,422 yards and 14 TDs with 10 INTs.

Comments

okjhok 13 years, 11 months ago

Actually it just gives the naysayers one more reason to doubt KU...beating a shorthanded NU...but, alas, it doesn't matter, 'cause it's all gonna come down to Arrowhead, my friends.

Jaminrawk 13 years, 11 months ago

This worries me. It sounds like one of those "Nebraska is Back" setups because the new QB will throw for like 5 touchdowns. I hope not.

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 11 months ago

I'd rather face Keller. We know nothing about the backup and it would be easier to prepare for a known quantity.

Huskerhawk 13 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't worry about who is at center. They will run th e same offense anyway. I'd say that Ganz is almost as good as Keller he just doesn't have the game experience that Keller does. Just stop the run and we'll be fine.

Huskerhawk 13 years, 11 months ago

Sorry, that obviously should have been don't worry about who is at QB.

Dirk Medema 13 years, 11 months ago

It is always good to gain a bit of retribution for the years past, but the Huskers that I know had conceded the game (season?) a few weeks ago. This week is rather anti-climatic. To bad for Keller to finish his career that way.

34_5_20_nbaTitle 13 years, 11 months ago

Yeah i'd much rather see Keller than Ganz. Ganz, unlike Keller can actually get out of the pocket. With that said i still believe we will handle business!

CasperCorps 13 years, 11 months ago

Good... more interceptions for Talib and Company... In my proffesional opinion of course... 56-6

actorman 13 years, 11 months ago

That was a much different NU team and an even more different (differenter?) KU team. Times have changed, and it's time to make the 40-15 stomping of a few years ago look like a close game. I can't wait for the destruction to begin.

JBurtin 13 years, 11 months ago

Funny stuff,

I work with a guy that grew up in western Kansas, but his dad is a big husker fan so he roots for them despite the fact that he goes to KU.

At the start of the year I told him that this would be Callahan's last year at Nebraska. The west coast offense is just too complex to run in a college environment. It depends on precise timing between QB and receiver that has to be practiced many many times to get right. There simply aren't enough practices at the college level to get this timing down. So every time you have to start over with a new Quarterback, it's like implementing a whole new offense and you concede an entire year's worth of football. (come to think of it, that's also very good news for us as we're now playing a backup that will have had very few snaps)

Before the Texas game he had completely conceded this game to KU and wanted Nebraska to lose out so that NU would definitely get a different coach. So in an attempt to be friendly to a fan that hasn't had much to cheer about this year, I made some polite conversation that NU almost pulled it out at Texas.

All of a sudden he changes demeanor completely and starts beating the war drum thinking that his team is good. In truth, Nebraska hung around with a mediocre Texas squad before eventually collapsing spectacularly in the fourth.

I tried to explain to him that there's a very good reason that a team like NU would be able to hang around against Texas. Colt McCoy has been exposed as a QB that simply has no answer for defensive pressure. Even the mediocre non-cons were able to hang around and force Texas to beat them with the running game. So of course an athletic defensive line like Nebraska's was going to be able to get pressure and keep the game close.

He wasn't hearing any of it. He actually started talking like all of the other ignorant Nebraska fans that think that having Tom Osbourne as an AD was somehow making the team play well. The aggressive style of defense that they played put stars in his eyes as he pondered the possibility of winning at KU.

I was eventually able to convince him that KU would win, but he still brashly bet me $10 that NU would keep it within two touchdowns.

I'm actually kind of mad that Keller is out now because if KU blows them out it gives him another ridiculous excuse as to why it happened. I was already anticipating his anger when he watched the game and saw that NU will not bring pressure the way they did against Texas as it's exactly the wrong way to play against KU. Reesing, Fine, and the running backs will eat you alive if you bring pressure.

Oh well, it should be the easiest ten bucks I'll ever make.

Alan Halvorsen 13 years, 11 months ago

In my opinion you all seem way too confident! I hope you're all right, but how can you guys--after taking it one week at a time all year--start getting cocky now. I know they have looked terrible, but NU has played good teams all year. We haven't yet played a team that isn't one dimentional. Our offense has looked worse and worse as the season has gone (It's like we are afraid to go down field now).

Now is not the time to get cocky....if we loose this game, we loose all the respect we have tried so hard to gain!

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 11 months ago

Your're right JD, they could beat us. After 3 road wins against tough opponents and watching the wheels fall off at Nebraska I suppose it would be easy to overlook this team but I think Mangino will keep them grounded. After all, MM has only beaten the Huskers once. Hopefully last years OT loss will provide adequate motivation.

Cue the App State - Michigan highlights.

troutsee 13 years, 11 months ago

We ain't agonna lose this game, fellas. KU big!

CasperCorps 13 years, 11 months ago

Texas isn't that great a team and showed it when they played a terrible Nebraska team close. This isn't Ball State...

vmwskywalk 13 years, 11 months ago

We can be as cocky as we want on the board. It's the guys on our team that count. Somehow, I don't think that our guys will get cocky.

yovoy 13 years, 11 months ago

i've been saying that if you put colt mccoy in any other helmet, behind any other line that wasn't the one he has, he'd just be a regular qb, and the media would be forced to immediately vacate his johnson. it's not that he's not that good; he's nothing special - at all.

as for keller: the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

JBurtin 13 years, 11 months ago

I would seriously question Jimmy_Dean's assertion that the offense has looked worse and worse all year.

The last two teams that we've played have just done something different from the first six. Instead of trying to bring pressure and leaving gaping holes in the zone for Reesing to throw to, they have dropped everyone back in coverage.

The strategy almost worked for Colorado as their defensive backs are very good and their linebackers are even better. They slowed us down enough to keep it very close. As for A&M, 227 rushing yards speaks for itself.

Running the ball is never going to put up as many points or yards as a quick strike passing attack, so the final scores may appear as if the offense didn't play well. In reality we simply had to grind it out and win these games the old fashioned way because that's what the defense was giving us.

I find it extraordinarily positive that the A&M game showed that this team can run with the best of 'em if we so desire. After that performance it will be hard for a coach to decide which to cover more, the run or the pass. After all, we're now ranked #31 in passing offense, while we're ranked #14 in rushing.

The reason that I'm so confident in the Nebraska game is that they have shown that when they emphasize stopping the pass, they give up huge runs, and whenver they emphasize stopping the run, teams pass all over them. They simply don't have all the little cogs working together the way they need to to have a successful defense vs. a two-dimensional offense.

I don't see this as over-confidence. I just think our boys will smell blood and go crazy against a struggling defense in front of the most insanely pumped up KU crowd ever to set foot in Memorial Stadium. Memorial will rival A&M's atmosphere next week.

Jayhawk1116 13 years, 11 months ago

I know KU isn't getting much respect yet because of their cupcake schedule, but what can they do? Teams like Central Michigan and Nebraska are on their shedule so they have to play them! Heyyohh! Man, that dig at Nebraska sure felt good.

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 11 months ago

I don't think we've seen the best of this team yet. In spite of our record there are things in each game that if improved only slightly could have a significant impact. Last week it was missed field goals and a couple of dropped passes. Make just one of those field goals and catch just one of those passes and the 4th quarter is a moot point. Mangino is pretty good at improving his team as the season progresses. If he can put everything together, look out. Road games tend to cause more problems for most teams. Maybe some home cooking will eliminate those mistakes.

MitchumMan 13 years, 11 months ago

Even though NU has been horrible this year, you can't look past them or anybody else. We are starting to get a lot more media exposure and because of that we now have a bigger target on our heads. Nebraska has athletes on their team and on any given Saturday they could rise up and play to their potential. I don't think we will overlook NU but I'm afraid some of our boys might. All it takes is a few individuals to really hurt a team sometimes. I have confidence in our boys though. I've been talking these boys up before the season started and I'm not going to stop now. Our boys have a chance to do something special this year and I'm going to be there every step of the way. Go Hawks!!

Alan Halvorsen 13 years, 11 months ago

JBurtin, you must have missed all the blitz's A&M sent. They sent several corner blitz's. Red Zone opportunities sucked. We didn't go down field once. 19 points the last two games. Look what Tech did to A&M's offense, they aren't that good. I think the coaching staff is afraid to go deep on the road.