Tuesday, October 23, 2007

New Jersey PF Quintrell Thomas commits to KU

Quintrell Thomas commits

Quintrell Thomas, a 6-foot-8, 225-pound senior forward from St. Patrick High in Elizabeth, N.J., on Tuesday orally committed to play basketball at Kansas University.

Quintrell Thomas says he's both happy and relieved to be a Kansas Jayhawk.

"I'm going to one of the best programs in the country. I'm really excited," said Thomas, a a 6-foor-8, 235-pound forward from St. Patrick High in Elizabeth, N.J.

On Tuesday he announced his decision to attend KU, choosing Bill Self's Jayhawk program over Rutgers and UNLV. He also seriously considered Maryland.

"There's an opportunity for a lot of playing time. I like the players and coaches. Pretty much it's quiet there, but you can also have fun when you want to," he said, noting it was a difficult decision. "I'm glad it's over with. It was getting ridiculous," he said of the pressure to pick a school. "I know pretty much everyone on Rutgers' team. It was kind of emotional (in turning Rutgers down)."

He is known as an athletic player who is a rugged rebounder with shooting range out to 17 feet.

His high school coach, Kevin Boyle, indicated he averaged about nine points and 7.5 rebounds his junior year for one of the top prep teams in the country. He had a productive summer playing for Derrick Bobbitt's New Jersey Elite AAU program, in fact averaging over 20 points a game.

"Over the weekend he decided to attend Kansas," Boyle said. "He went to the Rutgers football game last Thursday and really liked their program. They're trying to do in basketball what Kansas is doing in football, but when you get one of the top programs in college basketball history offering you a scholarship, it's kind of a no-brainer."

KU has now received oral commitments from three players: Thomas, as well as Travis Releford, 6-4 from Roeland Park Miege and Mario Little, 6-5 from Chipola Junior College in Florida.

Read more in Wednesday's Journal-World and on KUSports.com.

Original Breaking News

The commitment was confirmed by his high school coach, Kevin Boyle. Thomas chose KU over Rutgers and UNLV. He also seriously considered Maryland.

Thomas, who visited KU Sept. 28-30, made his last recruiting trip to UNLV on Oct. 12-13. He also seriously considered Maryland.

Thomas is known as an athletic player who is a rugged rebounder with shooting range out to 17-feet.

His high schol coach, Kevin Boyle, indicated he averaged about nine points and 7.5 rebounds his junior year for one of the top prep teams in the country. He had a productive summer playing for Derrick Bobbitt's New Jersey Elite AAU program.

Comments

Robert Brock 14 years ago

Great. Now we need to get Bobo on board.

Brock

tis4tim 14 years ago

Say hello to the mighty Quin. Welcome aboard, Mr. Thomas!

14 years ago

Believe it! Welcome to the team, Mr. Thomas.

argentinehawk 14 years ago

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got the kid, and if coach Self wanted him, then he must really be good, but, now what's going to happen with the Morris twins? Didn't they decommit from Memphis because they got a guy that also played their position? I hope they commit too, but I hope Quintrells commitment doesn't make us loose 2 really good players!!

killabees 14 years ago

Love to have you Q. Go Jayhawks.

chaggs 14 years ago

Welcome to the Phog Q. Enjoy your stay!

hobrauer 14 years ago

Oh yeah! Big Willie has done it again!

100 14 years ago

Great job Coach Self. However, it's football season. Forget about basketball for a few months, KU hoops fans. We gotta get keep our heads on this weekend's KU football game -- let's go down to College Station and pump the team up! They're working their tails off this week to try to get another win this weekend. This is a really good, hard hitting team we are playing, with a great crowd -- the least we could do is travel down there, meet some nice people in Texas and fire up the Hawks IN PERSON!!! Go Jayhawks!

jayhawkinATL 14 years ago

Just asking...how good is this kid? Rivals doesn't have him listed and Scout has him as the 28th-best PF.

frompekka2sasha 14 years ago

Okay people. Calm down. Quintrell Thomas is one of those players who wasn't ranked highly. Who cares? Self thinks he is a great addition and rumors are that his rankings are going to dramatically improve.

We are talking about PEOPLE for gosh sakes. Does a 5-star player who is lazy automatically trump a 3-star guy who is ready to bust his a** for playing time?

rgreene 14 years ago

Exactly, Pekka. People should trust a college coach's evaluation over that of a 'recruiting expert' any day.

JayCeph 14 years ago

So, was he also seriously considering Maryland?

Brian Skelly 14 years ago

Its up to Self to get players, and he seems to be doing that.

I agree about the issue with the Twin Tower prospects. The way College Basketball is now, you almost have to OVER recruit to keep spaces covered. Especially a place like KU where every year or other year, some underclassman is going pro.

Self's perfect rotation of 4 Bigs and 4 Littles seems to be intact.

Jonathan Allison 14 years ago

do you really think we should be trying to sign 8 McDonald's All-Americans? I think an athletic player, a rugged rebounder, and shooting range out to 17 ft sounds like a player who could develop into the kind of solid reserve player that could replace Darnell for the next 4 years. Way to go coaches, and welcome to the family Quintrell

David Reed 14 years ago

How does this effect the situation with the Morris twins?

Welcome to KU Q

lumpegravy 14 years ago

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything but as I was watching that clip, I noticed that a lot of the times he got a block, he also got whistled for a foul. Also, a lot of those shots he only got because his teammates were able to create open shots for him. It didn't really show him creating his own shots. And then some of the times he shot, it almost seemed kind of awkward. However, he looks like a prolific rebounder and someone who can step out and hit the mid-range jumper every once in awhile (as well as shoot free throws). Anyways, this is just what I think and I trust that Coach Self knows what he is doing and I am glad Quintrell is coming to KU.

rgreene 14 years ago

My guess would be that this has no effect on the twins, wouldn't you think? Think about it, KU loses Darnell, Sasha and probably Darrell to graduation/the NBA after this season. Playing time is still not at a premium, even with Quintrell lined up.

Jayhawker35 14 years ago

He sounds like the perfect replacement for Darnell. Tough, hard-nosed, and willing to work for everything he gets.

kuguy08 14 years ago

the same year we brought in Darnell we also brought in Sasha and C.J. Giles, so it shouldn't be an issue for the Twins. If I were the twins I wouldnt be to worried about getting playing time taken away by Q. But if we get J'Mison that might be a different story

justanotherfan 14 years ago

From the outset, I was a fan of Q Thomas. I'm glad that he committed to the Hawks. The dream class is coming together.

So far - Q. Thomas - F T. Releford - G M. Little - G/F

Still hoping to get - M. Morris - F M. Morris - F J. Morgan - F/C T. Taylor - G W. Warren - G

I'll say again that I think Self is putting together an excellent group here. I have not wavered from that opinion throughout the process. Self knows what he is doing and proves day in and day out that he has this under control. Rock Chalk all day.

Welcome to the Phog, Q.

Mr_Sandman 14 years ago

Good to see that the commitments keep coming in. I like the way this recruiting class is shaping up, not a ton of star power, just solid players that will hopefully fit KU well. Reminds me a lot of the class of seniors we have now.

bmkjayhawk 14 years ago

All day, I like it.

And if that is your dream class, then I am in complete agreement with you.

KEITHMILES05 14 years ago

It's almost impossible now days to have every player who signs to be Mickey D's.

This year Self has whiffed on several top notch guys. Hence, you have to go to plan B and C and D.

Thomas is a nice get. Getting the twins and BoBo would be tremendous. Will it happen? Who knows.

Just look at the Warren recruitment. Nothing but a total basket case and now has decided to wait until spring. His recruitment shows alot what is wrong with guys who think they are the only thing living. I applaud Self for moving on and looking at other guys.

Nobody associated with Kansas can say Self doesn't scour the entire WORLD for talent. This is something the former coach was remiss in doing and in fact refused to do. Whether Self gets more recruits or not he will never, ever be accused of being a slacker.

Welcome QUINTRELL THOMAS! You will be part of a beloved and loyal following. BTW, tell your buddies about the Jayhawks and help recruit them to Kansas.

kc_wildfire 14 years ago

How can you bag on Warren for waiting until spring to make his decision?

This could very well be the hardest / biggest decision outside of marriage / having kids that he will have to make in life. Let him take his time and be comfortable with his decision.

JayCeph 14 years ago

Doesn't the Ukraine have a guy that is closing in on 9 feet (or something ludicrous like that)? I know he's getting older (early 30s) but he's never even come close to exhausting any NCAA eligibility. He still has all four years ready for him to grab and go!

Let's Rock & Chalk in the Crimean Peninsula! http://www.stevequayle.com/Giants/pics/Leonid.Stadnik.html

kcmostwanted 14 years ago

I think we definitely still have a good shot at the twins... w/ the 5 seniors leaving... and Rush + Arthur probably gone....that leaves 7 schollies... so The twins and Morgan should be a able to help out right away... as for the Guard position... It'll be either Warren or Taylor...and I think Self would take Warren/ trying to recruit him harder at this point because he's a Combo Guard type of guy.... who knows.. maybe the Canadian Guard might end up committing... Steve Nash?

If we get BoBo.. he and Aldrich would control the Center.. in 08

The taller Morris twin + Q. Thomas would play the PF

Mario Little+Marcus Morris + Travis Releford (if needed) would play the wing

Chalmers/Warren (if he commits)/Releford/Reed could play SG

Chalmers (if still around) / Sherron Collins (if still around) / Reed / Warren / Taylor (if he commits) could play PG

What i'm saying is: We need to land the twins and Bobo.. The addition of Guards is just a Bill Self Luxury... and a "just in case" mindset....

NOV 2nd is the Big Day for Bobo...Hope he chooses wisely....

Robert Brock 14 years ago

So if Arthur has a decent year and leaves and we strike out on the Morris twins, could Thomas end up possibly starting at the 4 next year? He'd be the lone power forward. Or maybe we'd start 4 guards?

jayharchitect 14 years ago

What about Self's trip to Spain? Would any recruit be for next year's class?

KEITHMILES05 14 years ago

I am very pleased Self is not buying into the Warren crap of being led on by him.

Self has to look out after the program and he has shown huge balls by going all over the world to search out possible recruits. Warren is a great athlete but his incessant penchant for playing games and not keeping his nose clean is very public. I'm glad Self is looking at other viable alternatives.

It could possibly (not probably, IMO) work out that one of the guards of Mario and/or Sherron bolt. This would or should be a happy thing for Warren and since he is waiting till spring (I'll believe it when I see it!) will be a perfect opportunity for him to jump on board.

Alot of "what ifs".

hawker00 14 years ago

I like how Self isn't afraid to go east and get players. Another commitment from a NY/NJ area player!

Michael Pannacciulli 14 years ago

as a jersey jayhawk I couldn't be more thrilled...this is great news. great work on recruiting in an area that doesn't often consider the midwest...a bigger testament to bill and the great hoops legacy at ku.

CasperCorps 14 years ago

Bill Self is a recruiter through and through, watch and wait folks its just gonna get better.

yovoy 14 years ago

we're kansas, if you want to be on t.v. on a team that wins lots of games, you come here. if you're a superstar, that doesn't want to work, you go somewhere else. ourSelf knows what kind of product he has. if he's "whiffed" on some kids, the kids didn't really want to come here. there are enough skilled kids that are willing to come here, and we've got a decent enough coach that we should be pretty good - we're kansas.

Teapot9 14 years ago

I wish CJ Giles was here to help out with the recruiting the young brothas seemed to really take a shine to him.

KU 14 years ago

Nice addition. We still need to get that big banger, Morgan, because I'm not sold on Aldrich being the next dominant center.

The Morris twins seem a little flaky to me. ......Sorta like Willie Warren.

OklahomaJayhawk5 14 years ago

CJ Giles was and probably still is a joke

kcmostwanted 14 years ago

Watch these Highlight Videos of Quintrell... Better than the one on this website..~5-10 min long (link below.. his name is about 3/4 way down the list on that page).

My thoughts of him after the highlight video...... -He's very athletic (known already) -A good Rebounder (known) -Watching the video he has terrific timing on Blocks -He's very strong for his size @ 6-8 225lb... -And has played against great competition..(you see him playing against Lincoln (Lance Stephenson's school) and also Sarmardo Samuels (#2 PF in 2008)) etc...

To tell you guys the truth IMO he kind of reminds me of a mixture of a smaller Tyler Hansborough (spelling) and D Jackson... Not the most polished or skilled but can definately finish around the rim and is great at using his body to shield off opponents.. I think Self might have gotten a steal....He seems like the type of player that will only get better as his career roles along...

Check out the clip and see what you guys think... And you can thank me later

Muska 14 years ago

To be honest mostwanted, I was pretty impressed. A remember a few years back watching Julian's high school highlights and not being overwhelmed by any means, but Quintrell looks a bit more impressive in high school at least. I realize they are completely different players, but just a thought.

kltbadboyz 14 years ago

Yea this class isn't complete without Morgan and/or the Morris twins. I think that there is one scholorship for Taylor, Warren, and Joseph. If one of those guys commit the others won't be in Lawrence. With Willie Warren waiting for the late signing period, it looks as if our chances are growing slimmer. I look for our interest in Taylor to cool down and for some reason I have feeling Joseph will commit to us. too bad the 09 class isn't 08 because the 09 class is loaded with talent interested in KU. Hopefully we have 1 or 2 scholorships to offer in the class of 09