Monday, October 15, 2007

Ryan Wood’s football notebook

Reader poll

Who would you classify as KU's most exciting player so far this year?

• QB Todd Reesing 37% 789 votes
  • CB/WR Aqib Talib 43% 903 votes
  • RB Jake Sharp 12% 256 votes
  • Do-it-all Kerry Meier 3% 76 votes
  • LB Joe Mortensen 1% 39 votes
  • Someone else 1% 29 votes

2092 total votes.

KU cracks BCS standings after Baylor beatdown

One day after demolishing the Baylor Bears 58-10 at Memorial Stadium, the Kansas Jayhawk football team debuted in the 13th slot of the BCS standings.

Kansas on ESPN

The Kansas-Colorado game in Boulder, Colo., on Saturday will kick off at 4:45 p.m. and be televised by ESPN, it was announced Sunday.

It marks KU's first appearance on the cable-sports giant since the Fort Worth Bowl in 2005. Kansas did play on the network's sibling station last year, losing to Toledo on ESPN2.

The Big 12 Conference does not have a television agreement with ESPN for football. However, Fox Sports sublicensed games to ESPN in 2007 after a similar agreement with TBS ended last year.

So far, three games in the Big 12 television package - Florida State at Colorado, Nebraska at Missouri and Colorado at Kansas State - have been shown on ESPN this season.

The Jayhawks likely will learn if their Oct. 27 game at Texas A&M; will be televised sometime today.

Last of the unbeatens

The Big 12 Conference has done a good job of beating itself up so far this conference season. Through three weekends of conference games, only the Jayhawks have escaped without a shiner.

Kansas (6-0 overall, 2-0 Big 12) is the last unbeaten team in the league, both overall and in conference play. Kansas State's 47-20 victory over Colorado on Saturday put the Jayhawks all alone atop the Big 12 North standings. Six teams in the conference - Coorado, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas A&M; and Oklahoma State - have 2-1 league records.

Kansas, in fact, is one of six undefeated teams in the 120-team Bowl Subdivision. The others are Ohio State (7-0), South Florida (6-0), Boston College (7-0), Arizona State (7-0) and Hawaii (7-0).

Up next

The Buffaloes are just 4-3 overall, but probably have played the Big 12's toughest overall schedule to date.

Colorado's nonconference slate included losses to Arizona State and Florida State, and Saturday's setback to Kansas State broke a two-game league winning streak. That included a 27-24 victory over No. 3 Oklahoma on Sept. 29.

Kansas opened as a 41â2-point favorite in Vegas on Sunday night.

Comments

okjhok 12 years, 4 months ago

I would say 4 1/2 is a little weak at this point, but I'm not a vegas expert, either. Looks to me to be a little generous on the CU side. They didn't look to good to me Sat night.

kuelguapo 12 years, 4 months ago

yah but they didn't look too bad at home against OU a couple weeks ago... this is going to be a tough game. 4.5 seems about right...

okjhok 12 years, 4 months ago

I guess 4 1/2 is about right, but I've watched CU three times this year. This is not a good football team. Yes, they have a decent defense and are scrappy, for what it's worth. They will be good at some point over the next two years. OU had that game won and got complacent. I don't see KU getting complacent at any point this year. Our O-line and D-line are superior. That has made the difference up to this point, and should on Sat as well. I know Boulder can be a tough place to play. Aside from the altitude change, it won't be tougher than Manhattan. I could be eating crow next week, but the Jayhawks will have to make numerous mistakes to lose this game. If they keep up the consistency, this is a win by two touchdowns.

nrebne 12 years, 4 months ago

When was the last time we won 2 straight road games period, let alone in the big xii. I would say we have our hands full.

okjhok 12 years, 4 months ago

That's what I was saying before the KSU game. Obviously, this team has a different mentality, not to mention much improved personnel. I would say when compared with the KSU game, this one is the easier win, and I think KSU backed that statement up on Sat.

troutsee 12 years, 4 months ago

I'm worried about this game. I think CU will try to out tough us on the line of scrimmage and run the ball right at us. Yes, I know we have a good run defense. Charles is a very good back. I just hope Bill Young has us ready to defend the run against these guys so that we don't have a day like Boise State had last night against Nevada. In case you missed that game, Boise State had a highly ranked run defense that was shredded by Nevada. I hope Mangino has the whole team ready to play smash mouth football because that is what we are going to get from CU.

bmcmich1 12 years, 4 months ago

The only weaknesses these players have right now are their own minds.

In years past, we were strong in one category, awful in another. Teams always found a way to expose the weaknesses. This year, The Genie in Manhattan even acknowledged that we have NO weaknesses. Why was the game even close at K-suck? Turnovers, dropped passes, etc...

We eliminate mental errors and we are on par with the best in the nation this year. There is no area you can point out and see an inherent advantage Colorado has against us except a mental one, what with them being at home and KU knowing that OU got knocked off there earlier this yr.

The good thing is that the mental aspect of the game is completely within our players' control. In the past, our team couldn't help that they had less talent. Not the case this year, and that is what makes me so excited. We are in the position to control our own destiny, and the players know that.

OmahaKUAlum 12 years, 4 months ago

Just FYI: Steve Pederson, the Nebraska AD, has just been fired. Things are getting crazy up here in Husker Land!

I agree with a lot of you, Colorado did not look good at all on Saturday. But obviously, if they beat Oklahoma, they can be dangerous. As long as KU is focused, we should win! Keep up the great work Jayhawks!! Rock Chalk!

bmcmich1 12 years, 4 months ago

Somewhere, Frank Solich is cackling with an evil look on his face. Is he still at Ohio U?

troutsee 12 years, 4 months ago

Solich is still at Ohio U.

NU stinks, which is wonderful to us KU fans who have endured many murderous Saturdays putting up with their obnoxious fans celebrating yet another 55-7 shellacking of our team at Memorial statium. They came down by the hordes to see the slaughter and then celebrated with glee as though they owned Lawrence. Here's hoping they are in for a long dry spell.

bmcmich1 12 years, 4 months ago

I agree troutsee,

It seems like the state of Neb. kicks out all their degenerates to travel to away games. I went up to stinkin Lincoln for a KU-NU game 6 yrs. ago and we (of course) got slaughtered but their fans were as humble and nice as can be.

seattlehawk_78 12 years, 4 months ago

If the AD who fired Solich is out then Callahan is next in line. Talk about putting the writing on the wall.

bmcmich1 12 years, 4 months ago

The dominoes have started to fall in Lincoln

seattlehawk_78 12 years, 4 months ago

Oh how I'd love to put a 55-3 whooping on the huskers.

I'll settle for a win though.