Friday, November 16, 2007

Governors make wager on KU-Missouri game

Governors place bets on Border Showdown

Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt place a friendly wager on the Border Showdown. They have agreed to wear the colors of the opposing team if their team is defeated on Saturday.

Football coaches at Kansas and Missouri have warned their teams not to look past their opponents Saturday to the later match-up between the border rivals.

But that hasn't stopped the governors.

Kathleen Sebelius, governor of the state that includes the No. 4 Kansas Jayhawks, and Matt Blunt, governor of the state that includes the No. 6 Missouri Tigers, have made a wager on the Nov. 24 game between the two teams.

The governor of the losing squad will have to wear the opponent's colors during the Governor's Regional Economic Development Summit in February.

"While I commend Gov. Blunt's optimism, the Jayhawks have demonstrated incredible talent both in the classroom and on the field, and I look forward to Gov. Blunt sporting crimson and blue when we gather next year in Kansas City," Sebelius said.

But before the KU-Missouri game, Kansas takes a 10-0 record against Iowa State on Saturday, while Missouri, 9-1, plays Kansas State.

Comments

Kevin Long 13 years, 11 months ago

That's awesome! That would be cool to see!

JBurtin 13 years, 11 months ago

I suppose Casper the friendly power plant proponent would rather be sucking coal ash than voting democrat.

Casper, save the planet, kill yourself.

Drew Alan 13 years, 11 months ago

yellow and gold is flattering on no-one. go hawks. they should have made the wager include that the winning governor gets to pick the outfit the other wears, in which case I would pick a royal blue suit, and nice Crimson Power Tie.

meggie23 13 years, 11 months ago

I think Gov. Sebelius should annex KU's side of Arrowhead in to Kansas for the day. I think that would be pretty cool.

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 11 months ago

Looks like the fans have penciled in the game tomorrow. I don't think there has been one article from the LJW this week about the Iowa State game.

KUAlum2000 13 years, 11 months ago

I agree seattlehawk, I'd been on the same lookout this week. If I'm up in Ames on the other side, this is all they need for motivation. Stranger things have happened this year.

Can't somebody at the LJW kick-up something on how ISU has won against KSU or CU, or how they played OU really close?

13 years, 11 months ago

...or about how Todd Blythe used to torch us as an underclassman.

CasperCorps 13 years, 11 months ago

The only thing this governor has done right since she's been here.

scootja32 13 years, 11 months ago

or how every game that was mentioned above was played in their own stadium. This is a different team on the road.

51 - 7 Hawks.

MitchumMan 13 years, 11 months ago

This is awesome but I'm looking forward to tomorrow. The game is sold out and I'll be there bright and early with my tailgate/game face on. I'm hoping to blow them out early so we can put Todd on the bench and give Kerry so extra snaps. This late in the season you want to make sure that your backup is fully prepared just in case. Go Hawks!!