Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Kansas basketball notebook

Arthur shines against Tigers

In the absence of Brandon Rush, the Hawks made the most of their floor time tonight. Darrell Arthur had a game-high 20 points.

Audio clips

2007-08 Nov. 6 KU-FHSU Basketball

Reesing lauded: Kansas University football quarterback Todd Reesing sat in the first row of the west bleachers near KU's bench.

He received a thunderous ovation, with fans in the end-zone student section standing for him, as he left the building with 4:05 to play.

¢Better than the 'Cats: Comparison lovers will note KU beat Fort Hays State by 37 points three days after Kansas State stopped the Tigers by 36 points. The Wildcats won, 95-59; KU prevailed, 93-56.

¢Big payday: Fort Hays State, like Pittsburg State, received $20,000 guarantee money.

¢Big men flip flop: Sasha Kaun started the first half, Darnell Jackson the second at the center spot. The other starters in both halves: Sherron Collins, Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson, Darrell Arthur.

¢Red uniforms: KU wore red jerseys Tuesday night. Don't look for the Jayhawks in red many more times this year.

"I don't like wearing the red very much," KU coach Bill Self said. "Coach (Danny) Manning talked me into getting one of the appearances out of the way tonight. There's no reason we wore red other than we've got to wear them once or twice (for Adidas)."

¢Notables: KU is now 46-7 all-time in exhibition games, including a 42-4 mark in games played in Allen Fieldhouse. KU is now 14-0 in exhibition games under Self, including a 10-0 mark in games played at home. : This was the third year KU has played Fort Hays State in an exhibition game, and the Jayhawks improved to 3-0 against the Tigers in those contests (won 95-41 in 2003-04 and 96-62 in 2005-06). : KU opened the game on a 14-2 run and then had a 22-3 run to take the game from 16-6 to 38-9 in the first half. : Both teams opened the game shooting 1-for-8 before KU made four straight field-goal attempts. : Arthur had 20 points. Last year, he had two 20-point games, with 22 vs. Oral Roberts and 26 vs. Towson State in games two and three. : Robinson had 10 assists. His career high is nine vs. Baylor in 2006. The last Jayhawk to record 10 assists in a game was Jeff Hawkins who had 10 vs. Arkansas in the 2005-06 season. : Robinson also had six rebounds (all in the first half). His career high is eight at Missouri in 2006. : Chalmers had six steals. His career high is six, which he has accomplished seven times.

¢Little producing big-time: Future KU player Mario Little, a 6-5 small forward from Chipola (Fla.) Community College, has scored 18, 27 and 16 points in his squad's first three games of the season.

"The areas that I'm working on the most right now are my jump-shot and my defense," Little told Rivals.com.

"Those are the two areas of my game that I will continue to focus on. I would say my biggest strength is that I can score any type of way. I just have the ability to score points."

He recently was deemed the top juco player in the country by Juco Junction Web site.

Comments

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

Good to hear that Little is putting up big numbers, of course he may be the best player in the NJCAA but that won't ease his transition into the Big XII.

Way to go Hawks, anyone know when they'll be on national TV for me?

6 years, 11 months ago

plastic, the 11/25 Arizona game is on ESPN.

I wonder if some fans were chanting, "Game's not over" to Reesing...doesn't he realize this is a basketball school? :^)

Chicago_JHawk 6 years, 11 months ago

If Self doesn't like the red uniforms (neither do I), then why did he agree to it as part of the Adidas contract? I realize the Athletic Department negotiates and has the final say on apparell contracts, but I'm sure Self could have gotten his way on this one...

justanotherfan 6 years, 11 months ago

I think the red unis are a marketing tool (buying alternate color jerseys gives the manufacturers another thing to sell and KU gets paid again). Jersey sales are just another revenue stream and that is probably why they did the red for both football and basketball (though I haven't seen any red football jerseys in stores). The contract probably dictated that three uniforms for football and men's basketball would be marketed, meaning that three uniforms had to be worn during the season (since tv exposure will help sell the alternates). I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing that's why they have to wear the red at least a couple of times.

JayCeph 6 years, 11 months ago

The red uniforms are awful! They make KU look like they are trying to be Iowa State or Texas Tech or something. Just awful...

Gary McCullough 6 years, 11 months ago

OPJayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

"I know Oregon's contract is with Nike, but damn, those football jerseys look good. Wish we had something like those. Definately not traditional, and it would tweak some of the old school traditionalist, and the only reason Oregon gets that design is because the Nike HQ is practically next door. But damn, they look good."

Surely that whole paragraph is sarcasm. If not, I truly do feel sorry for you.

Chicago_JHawk 6 years, 11 months ago

I always preferred when teams had two uniforms - home and road. Now everyone had at least three versions. Football teams can mix it up even more with jersey/pants combinations.

As for Oregon, I don't mind the black and green, but the shoulder pattern that looks like a metal truck box or something has to go. The jerseys from a couple years ago that were black with one green and one urine colored sleeve were vomit inducing. However, Oregon will do whatever Phil Knight wants them to do!

bmcmich1 6 years, 11 months ago

Who's talkin' noise on the fighting hi-liters??!!

ChenoWho 6 years, 11 months ago

I could care less about the color of our jerseys, but to get rid of the traditional Kansas lettering font (and numbers) to match this university-wide-standard-&*%! is unforgivable. Might as well change the jayhawks feathers to green and yellow.

rockchalkAZ 6 years, 11 months ago

what's wrong with you guys? the red kits are awesome. it's cool to have an alternate kit, mix it up a little. but we do need to keep the traditional lettering font

JayCeph 6 years, 11 months ago

Mix it up? Okay, give me a mostly black uni with hints of our signature colors to accent the arm openings, neck, numbers, names of school and player, etc.

The red ones look like Oklahoma/Nebraska/Ia State/TxTech... and that is just plain wrong.

Yes,they ARE 'crimson' and blue but the crimson is the key (read primary) accent. Anything more and you have messed with a perfectly balanced element within the gestalt theory of aesthetics.

John Percival 6 years, 11 months ago

black uniforms s**k unless they're your school color- nothing but a shameless marketing ploy and glad our coaches haven't sold their soul on that one. Oregon's uni's are disgusting (cool helmet, though). I agree, our color is Crimson (think our alma mater has that word in it) not Nebraska red. if you want black, buy it (along with the pink and other crap they sell), but keep it off the uniforms.

John Percival 6 years, 11 months ago

forgot - glad we don't wear all blue in football either - prefer to not look like a high school team.

rockchalkAZ 6 years, 11 months ago

black kits would be straight baller. and 909603, i think it's ok to type "suck" on the message boards