Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Talib named to watch list

Kansas University football cornerback Aqib Talib was named to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy preseason watch list by the Football Writers Association of America on Tuesday.

Talib, who already was named a preseason All-American by Playboy magazine, had a national-best 28 passes defended in 2006, including six interceptions.

Talib is the first Jayhawk to be put on the Nagurski watch list since Charles Gordon in 2005. The Nagurski Trophy is given after the season to the best defensive player in college football.

Comments

bmcmich1 10 years, 3 months ago

No clue...I'd like to find out though

JayCeph 10 years, 3 months ago

Why is there a basketball icon by this story on the homepage?

TrueBlue92 10 years, 3 months ago

I wonder how Charles Gordon is doing with rehab? Anyone know if he participated in the Vikings OTAs this offseason?

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 3 months ago

Man, having your name published in playboy magazine is an honor in itself, but this kid is a serious playmaker. Lets hope he makes the right decision after this season and continues to get better and stay at Kansas. I dont want to see another Charles Gordon thing here, because Aqib has a serious, legit shot at being drafted in the higher rounds.

justanotherfan 10 years, 3 months ago

If I remember correctly Gordon was undone at the combine when he ran a 40 in the 4.6 range. That's the kiss of death for a corner that isn't overly physical. That said, I think Aqib does have a great shot at the NFL if he has another good year, particularly if he does well at the combine.

Another thing to consider... If he does leave early and do well, that will help KU recruit more elite players. After all, the best player on the team last year is playing in the CFL. Not many American kids dream of that, and unless they have more talent than I am aware of north of the border, that's not going to cut it here, either.

Guys jumping to the NFL will help recruiting. Aqib has done his part already by getting all of this good press in the offseason. I hope he has a huge year and wins a couple of awards.

Jeremy Bolinger 10 years, 3 months ago

yes, but it also hurts your team when your guys that go early dont even get drafted. There is no player on this team that should even entertain the thought of jumping to the pros. Case Closed!

bmcmich1 10 years, 3 months ago

I see what you're getting at notabandwagon, but Aqib's case is a little different from that of C Gordon's. Unless something drastically terrible happens, he is going to be drafted. Don't know if you've seen this, but check it out if you haven't:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if he stayed, but I think he'd be stupid NOT to at least entertain the thought of jumping...and if it all goes to plan and he has an awesome year, then a top 10 pick in the '08 draft would do WONDERS for recruiting and overall image of 'Hawk Football

Alan Halvorsen 10 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the article bmc...that's really exciting!

bmcmich1 10 years, 3 months ago

You bet Jimmy Dean--that pic, I'm proud to say, is now my screensaver!