Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Ex-Jayhawk Giles begins class at Oregon St.

There was serious talk in C.J. Giles' hometown of Seattle that the former Kansas University basketball player would choose to play for pay after being kicked off the Jayhawk team.

Published reports indicated the junior center was close to signing a contract with the Yakama (Wash.) Sun Kings of the Continental Basketball Association and also considering bolting to one of Europe's many pro leagues.

Turns out the reports were wrong, wrong, oh so wrong.

The 6-foot-11, 240-pound Giles, who left KU's program on Nov. 6 following a variety of transgressions, on Monday began classes at Oregon State University in Corvallis, Ore.

He may practice with coach Jay John's Beavers immediately, but won't be eligible to play until Dec. 8, 2007. He'll have a year and a half of eligibility remaining.

"He still wants to be a college student and enjoy the college experience," said KU junior Rodrick Stewart, Giles' roommate at KU. Stewart has spoken with his former high school teammate four times since he was shown the door by KU coach Bill Self.

"I don't think he's looking to the NBA right now."

That was the story Monday as Giles indicated in a news conference that "graduating from Oregon State" was now his main goal.

"The second thing I want to do is help change the program and get it winning like the old days," Giles said.

That would be fine with John, who recruited Giles his senior year at Rainier Beach High and again just recently as a transfer.

"When I first talked to C.J., he told me he really wanted to have a second chance to do things the right way. I asked if he wanted to graduate college. He said yes, and we moved on from there,'' said John, who referred to Giles as a "humble, engaging and motivated young man."

He's also a troubled young man.

Self dismissed Giles for disciplinary reasons (academic issues as well as being late for practice) to go with the player's escalating legal problems.

He faces a Jan. 25 court date on battery charges against a woman he admitted to dragging out of bed and out of his apartment as well as failing to pay child support for his baby son.

"We're happy C.J. has found a home. We wish C.J. the best," said Self, who credited Giles for completing his first semester coursework and leaving "in good academic standing."

"We are certainly disappointed how it ended here. We need to move forward. He needs to move forward. I think this could be potentially a good fit for him," Self added.

Giles addressed his problems Monday.

"I was young and immature at Kansas," he said. "Now I'm here, and I'm going to grow up. People grow from their mistakes. The things that got me in trouble in Lawrence, I've learned from that, and I know what I need to change. I've admitted my mistakes. I'm here to start fresh."

Giles chose the Beavers over Eastern Washington and New Mexico State.

"We feel like we know him very well. He understands that he has been given a second chance, and I am confident he will make the most of it," John said. "He wouldn't be here if I didn't believe that he will become a model student-athlete and a solid citizen for us."

Self had nothing negative to say about Giles on Monday.

"I haven't really followed it (recruitment) close enough to know. Neither scenario would have surprised me, if he'd gone to play professionally or go to school, because he is leaving in good academic standing," said Self, who did not speak to Oregon State officials during the recruiting process.

¢ Rumor denied: Daily Oklahoman sports writer Mike Baldwin said in a kusports.com chat Monday that there was a "well-substantiated rumor that Oklahoma State's biggest booster, Boone Pickens, wanted to offer KU's Self "a 'can't-refuse' deal of $4 million or more a season to come to OSU a year ago.

"Sean Sutton, though, had an ironclad contract and Self said he would never have returned even if offered out of respect for the Sutton family AND THE FACT he has one of the nation's best jobs right now."

Self had a simple statement when informed of the rumor Monday. "Everything about that is false," Self said. "The reason it was an unreported story is it never happened."

¢ Sutton ceremony: KU will honor former Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton at halftime of Wednesday's KU-OSU game (8 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse). Sutton, a native of Bucklin, went 798-315 in 36 seasons as a college head coach.

Self credited KU's administration for coming up with the idea to honor the man who led OSU to the 1995 and 2004 Final Fours.

"He means so much to the game of college basketball," Self said. "He'll certainly pull for his Cowboys all the way, but he's always respected everything that has gone on at the University of Kansas. He was certainly one of my mentors. He has great respect for Kansas. I think it will be a halftime that he enjoys very much."

¢ New name: Marcus Thornton, a 6-3, 190-pound guard from Kilgore (Texas) Community College, attended the KU-Boston College game on an unofficial recruiting visit. Thornton, who also has visited Kansas State, tells rivals.com he's considering KU, KSU, Texas A&M;, Maryland, Louisville, Miami and Oklahoma. A native of Louisiana, Thornton is averaging 30.0 points off 58 percent shooting and 7.5 boards a game.

¢ Bowman joins Cowboys: Adarius Bowman, who caught 13 passes for 300 yards and four touchdowns in Oklahoma State's football victory over KU on Oct. 14, has joined the Cowboy hoops team. The 6-4 Bowman was a high school standout in Chattanooga, Tenn.

¢ Pride of Humboldt: Humboldt High's basketball players and coaches attended KU's practice on Monday. KU walk-on Brad Witherspoon is one of the school's all-time greats. He visited with the players and coaches before practice.

¢ KU's No. 1: Brandon Rush was asked if preseason pick KU remained the favorite in the Big 12 race: "I think we are still league favorites despite our first couple losses. People are saying we are like the second or third best team in our conference. I think we are the best team in our conference. We've got big competition in the league in Oklahoma State Wednesday, and then we go to Iowa State who beat Missouri."

Comments

esubrett 14 years, 9 months ago

So you were young and immature three months ago and all of the sudden you are grown up. A real man faces his problems, he doesn't run from them.

lawrence_citizen 14 years, 9 months ago

True - but sometimes you have to go to drastic measures to get yourself out of bad situations, get a different perspective and build from that. I applaud his intentions to get straight and graduate. That is the best thing he can do for his young child right now. Good Luck, C.J,

JayCeph 14 years, 9 months ago

Sutton was a class act! I remember when he got up off the bench and walked over to Collison after his final home game as a senior (and after putting up BIG numbers against OkSt in the KU win) and hugged him while whispering words of wisdom into Nick's ear.

I'm glad that KU is honoring this coaching legend. A real work of art for all involved.

quigley 14 years, 9 months ago

ESUbrett: That was excactly what I was going to post! I was young and immature.....two months ago! Great minds think alike I guess.

Gendeng 14 years, 9 months ago

JayCeph, I second that. Don't forget Kirk. Sutton congratulated both of them

cklarock 14 years, 9 months ago

It's good to see KU honoring rival coaches at their retirements. Sutton is a great coach, and did a lot for my basketball fun quotient over the years with his OSU teams.

EvanstonReader 14 years, 9 months ago

If you read the quote he doesn't use the past tense grown-up to explain where he currently is at in his life's journey, he spoke in the future tense "going to grow-up" as I know I did and most of you did over the course of your college education. I certainly wasn't the same person leaving campus as a senior that arrived as a freshman.

Yes great minds.

Furthermore, I certainly wouldn't have had as much fun in college if I wasn't young and immature, granted I didn't make the same choices CJ made, but I also wasn't asked to make them either. Maybe all you guys/gals who are sooo judgmental of 18 and 19 year olds should try to understand what they are going through. I do not want to make any excuses or lessen his poor choices or negate his responsibilities, but if you showed up to a new community being treated like a god with women throwing themselves at you wherever you go, what would you do? I'm just saying that while he did make bad decision after bad decision, get off his back now. I would much prefer him to become a productive citizen, then to have him stay stagnate in his growing because someone constantly reminds him of who he was when he was a teenager.

dbgjayhawk 14 years, 9 months ago

good comment evanston. i totally agree with you. everyone makes mistakes, it's just that some people's mistakes are more public.

97jhawk 14 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if Sutton will hit up the Wheel before the ceremony.

97jhawk 14 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, they were weren't they? The mad irony of it all...LOL!

84Hawk 14 years, 9 months ago

All I know is I'm glad Giles is gone. Good luck in the future at Oregon State (quite the hoops school I hear---NOT). I hope for his kid's sake he is able to graduate and support him. I laughed at the idea of him going to the NBA right now. And congratulations to Eddie Sutton. A true class act. Go Hawks!

frompekka2sasha 14 years, 9 months ago

The states of Washington and Oklahoma have not been treating us very well lately. Let's stick with Alaska, California, Illinois, Texas and a few others. Illinois seems to be my favorite lately and, thankfully, Bruce Weber doesn't offer much competition in that area.

Jclarkson 14 years, 9 months ago

I still want to know what OSU's coach did in order to probe the character of Giles. He didnt talk to Self......so how he knows Giles is mature and will be a model citizen is baffling to me.

Either way, Good luck with this moron, Oregon State. He'll make you look stupid before its all over. Good riddance, CJ.

Joe Ross 14 years, 9 months ago

I really hope the best for CJ. No he didn't represent the Jayhawks well, but let me editorialize for a minute if you will. We all know CJ screwed up here...bigtime. But the best of humanity (and the best of the Kansas spirit) would wish for CJ to go on and make something of himself. There are a few posts here to that effect and that is encouraging; it's these uncompassionate posts that baffle me. We may all not have made mistakes on the order of what CJ has, but we have all made mistakes and have done things we regret. How easy is it to point the finger when it is not one's self who's under the microscope! I personally wish him well...

actorman 14 years, 9 months ago

Well said, jross. I also wish CJ well, although I have some doubts. I believe he's sincere in saying that he wants to grow up, but it's one thing to say it and another thing to do it. As they say, actions speak louder than words. I hope he has the strength and character to follow through with his plans.

Lars Larson 14 years, 9 months ago

check out the video on the right hand side. is he listening to some hiphop during the conference? he keeps bobbing his head.

anyway, good riddence to bad rubbish.

Joe Ross 14 years, 9 months ago

mapmaker...

I watched the video you posted. In it I see no failure in Giles' acceptance of responsibility for his actions here at Kansas. On the contrary I see the opposite. Both he and his new coaching staff have scrutinized Giles' opportunity to be successful at Oregon: personally, academically, and athletically. Since no one can see the future, obviously they must make judgements as best they can even while there looms the reality that CJ may fall on his face yet again. That is a possibility. It is also a possibility that there, unlike here, he may actually get his act together (and no one is burying his head in the sand about that having to occur). But your threshold for error is plainly very low, however; even bobbing one's head is evidently an offensive act, so I doubt that your good opinion of anyone, once lost, is lost forever. Even so, there is nothing merciful in such a stance and so I wonder if those who make even flagrant errors are so worthless to you that they should be exiled forever ("good riddance to bad rubbish", as you say) into ridicule and scorn. Since you must possess those high-dollar shoes that allow you to walk on water, you must be the only soul without sin and that would indeed entitle you to cast the stones. Otherwise, you are guilty of a hypocrisy you can not escape. The fact of the matter is CJ mucked his best chances for a pro career by not living up to personal standards at Kansas. As one who believes in punishment fitting crimes, I believe that is payment enough along with whatever restitution be made through legal channels. After that, CJ should have every confidence that if he changes his ways that society can embrace him as a productive member. For all your hatemongering I would boldly say to your face that you are no better for your actions than CJ was in his last days and weeks here at Kansas.

Larry Smith 14 years, 9 months ago

A wise man once said "Good judgement is the result of experience, experience is the result of bad judgment."

I know that in my lifetime I have not always been perfect, and have made numerous mistakes. And because of that, I try not to cast stones on those people who are trying to learn from their mistakes. Good Luck CJ.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

ralsterKUMed95 14 years, 9 months ago

All I can say is from what I heard and read, is that it wasn't working out for CJ @ KU in the 3 main areas: academic ineligibility looming, personal/legal issues, and in bball, I read he had trouble remembering the plays, thus limiting his PT along with the tardiness... That being said, I wish him well in his new start elsewhere. Sometimes you just need to make a big change, for as we have read even on this site, some people's opinion of you may become fixed and they may never give you another chance. CJ was the only KU player my then 6yr old son could recognize last year, and then he happenned to meet CJ at the Lawrence Target store. He was very polite and cordial to both of us, and gave a big grin to a little boy in a "super K" tee shirt. Interestingly, and too late, I realized he was waiting at a deserted customer service and NO ONE helped him (in Lawrence, KS...) as I saw him walk out of the store in disgust after no one saw or helped him. And we wonder why some players get homesick. I only wish him well and hope, for his sake, he can turn things around. Nothing that he is facing is insurmountable. Good luck, CJ.

97jhawk 14 years, 9 months ago

CJ mentions in the video that he wanted to be closer to his family. Uhhh, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't his father living in Lawrence? Can't get much closer to family than that. He sounds foolish. Have fun Beavertown and hopefully it will be a lesson learned although I find it hard for a tiger to change its stripes.

Eddie Sutton a class act? Are people kidding me? Sure he's got plenty of basketball accolades, but what about the off-court antics? He could've killed that woman in the drunk driving incident. Unreal. I wonder why such things are overlooked for those that supposedly are held on some pedestal. For the lay person, we would never receive any award or recognition if we were to commit such acts. Some peoples kids I tell ya.