Originally published December 19, 2007 at 08:34p.m., updated December 19, 2007 at 09:07p.m.

Mangino to West Virginia rumors a hoax

A back-and-forth conversation between the Journal-World and a man claiming to be Neil Cornrich, the agent for KU football coach Mark Mangino, was a hoax.

The Journal-World had several conversations with a man claiming to be Cornrich, the final of which was a statement the agent said he wanted to release to the Kansas media. The Journal-World posted it on its Web site while continuing the pursue the story.

A KU football spokesperson said the statement was not true. The Journal-World apologizes for misleading any readers.

Comments

BFerr54 11 years, 11 months ago

would expect nothing less from the paper that employs Ryan Wood

Maurice Wooten 11 years, 11 months ago

I can understand a coach...taking a better job....or taking more money...but to do this before the schools first ever BCS bowl game.......its a pretty crappy thing for mangino to do.....I guess he was tired of the basketball program getting all the attention

Jim Sanders 11 years, 11 months ago

I don't blame Mangino after all the crap he took last year. Just wish he would have waited until after the Orange Bowl.

Carter Patterson 11 years, 11 months ago

I hope he stays, but if he does not, at least he did a phenomenal job here. Sweet Lou will get the right man if he leaves.

Kent Kossoy 11 years, 11 months ago

No different than any other good coach that we get. They get the program started then leave. And to think the money spent on the athletic center to attract more talent. Sorry but in the end he is not much better than Roy.

FinalFinal 11 years, 11 months ago

Thank the Lord. I want someone fired over this.

Losing Mango would have ruined my Christmas.

sdoyel 11 years, 11 months ago

I'm suing KUsports.com for my near heart attack.... How about some better research before you post this on your website for MILLIONS TO SEE!?

patton6 11 years, 11 months ago

Kik1958 - nice to see your true colors

Kent Kossoy 11 years, 11 months ago

I would like to retract my comments. He is much better than Roy. And I agree that someone should be fired over this if it indeed is a hoax. We have been down this road before.

LittleRockHawk 11 years, 11 months ago

This takes the cake as far as irresponsible journalism. Could you at least confirm the souce before reporting something like this as fact?

Somebody screwed up big time.

jayharchitect 11 years, 11 months ago

I hate you KUSports!!! First a really long delay between spodcasters and now this?!?!?! My poor heart!

Patrick Leiker 11 years, 11 months ago

Sweet baby Jesus...you sure know how to scare a guy...

wavethewheat 11 years, 11 months ago

Ryan,

Seriously. Did you not confirm this with one other source? How did you run this story?

Some Missouri fan in their double wide is cackling after prank calling you with his fancy new Swatch phone he picked up at a local swap meet.

That was some bad journalism man.

skearney4 11 years, 11 months ago

I can't say I'm surprised by anything this rag does anymore. When your basketball beat writer does all of his research on a message board and your football writer gets duped by a teenager, you've got some major re-tooling to do.

Eric Dawson 11 years, 11 months ago

No phone call to the real Cornich to confirm? No phone call to Mangino to confirm? No phone call to the KU AD to confirm? No phone call to WVU to confirm? NO secondary source checked at ALL for confirmation before running with the initial story?

Gee, this rag's standards are slipping almost as low as ESPN's.

Joe Shaw 11 years, 11 months ago

This just in......

Bill Self has resigned to take a job at McDonald's and my great aunt is taking for the rest of the year.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Wow, unbelievable. Now coach has to explain the mix up to his kids ala Les Miles. I would say something angry toward the LJW, but most of you already did that for me. Honestly, I'm really not surprised, and I question why I spend so much time reading this mess of an online newspaper. If I didn't love my jayhawks so much......

Any other sites that will keep an out-of-towner up to date with KU news?? If the Kansan didn't go on break, I'd might even consider that. At least the KU students probably do some research.....

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

For those of you who don't stray to the other side of the house ...

Kyle Cornish 11 years, 11 months ago

<p>kusports.com is still the best and most reliable place to get the most up-to-date stuff. They kill the other outlets and give everyone way more than anyone else... We are actually spoiled by them and don't realize how good we have it. Don't get me wrong, they fouled up and made a big mistake, but my bet is this never happens again. I will still go here for all of my updates and I think once everyone cools down and stops trying to act all tough and macho, they will realize that they will do the same.

walkdog262 11 years, 11 months ago

You people have no concept of what it's like to be a reporter. None. What a disgrace. How would you like to work long hours for beyond crappy pay for a bunch of morons who criticize you at every turn? And, of course, none of you ever make mistakes at your job, either, right?

maxonoodle 11 years, 11 months ago

It's funny, Walkdog, to read all the comments outraged that the LJW posted the story. All these people that were at home. Off work. Surfing the Internet. Meanwhile, Ryan was busting his tail breaking a story on what I'm sure was a rare night off after a hectic football season.

Like it or not, newspaper reporters oftentimes have to rely on one source. If Todd Reesing says he's 95 percent, Ryan doesn't have to go to Mangino to "confirm" it. One source oftentimes has to be enough (especially with a coach with the lockdown on the media like Mangino).

No doubt Ryan made a mistake. Sounds like he was tricked by a pretty elaborate plan. But the same people that are criticizing him are the same ones so fanatical that they are pushing breaking sports stories quicker and quicker because they're checking the Web site every 5 minutes to look for updates.

My advice to everyone complaining: Don't read Kusports.com any more. Give it up. Teach them a lesson.

You'll come crawling back within a week when you realize just how spoiled you are with the coverage they give you for free.

Jclarkson 11 years, 11 months ago

I caught the tail end of the hoax.....

I feel bad for the guys like Ryan Wood in this situation. It's easy to jump down his throat and ask for his head. Sure, he probably made a mistake, but it's one he'll learn from. I usually enjoy reading his articles, so I hope that no action happens that so many of you are wanting.

Ed Fox 11 years, 11 months ago

walkdog and maxonoodle

You're right, there probably are too high of expectations placed on sports reporters to break big stories and to do it quickly. In general I think your comments are correct.

However, in this case, you're wrong. If there was a single source for this - someone who was purporting to be someone that the LJW evidently hadn't previously had contact with (otherwise they would have known it wasn't him, right? - or they could have called the number they had for him, right? there's got to be a way he got past them, right?), then it was a huge mistake. When it comes to a story about the coach leaving, you have to have more than one source, especially when that one sources is someone that either you hadn't worked with before or someone claiming to be a person you didn't know existed, or whatever the case is here. If you don't know definitively that this person is the agent, then call Coach or the athletic dept. or someone to verify. This just isn't the sort of thing that you can mess up.

That being said. It's ludicrous to imagine that someone would be fired if this is the first significant mistake they've made, which only the bosses will know. However, people do have a right to be annoyed that someone could be misled or be the subject of a hoax on a topic that is this big around here.

As a sidenote - anyone else hear Herbstreit pick KU as the most likely team to get a BCS game upset?

eastTXjayhawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Hello, this is Neil Cornrich, and I've logged on to tell everyone that Coach Mangino has resigned and will become the new head coach of the White Oak Roughnecks, a Class 3A school in East Texas. Since the Christmas break has started, White Oak has been gracious enough to allow Coach to lead the Jayhawks in the Orange Bowl, but they do want the free stereo he'll receive in his gift basket.

In other news, ETX Jayhawk is heading to Pittsburg tomorrow, and will be at AFH for the thrashing of MOH Saturday afternoon.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!!

hobrauer 11 years, 11 months ago

This is absolutely unacceptable. Ryan, isn't checking your sources journalism 101? Or do facts no longer matter? I don't think this would even fly in Columbia. Step down, please.

hypersocial 11 years, 11 months ago

While I'm not disagreeing that sports reporters have to work hard at low pay and break stories when they can, you are always taught to get two sources (3 preferred) before breaking any story. Now, based on the size of this story and how often there are rumors and hoaxes, you would need to make that 2nd source officially related or you don't go with it. This story was presented as fact, not possibility, and for that he should at least receive censure (which he's kind of getting here.) Instead of breaking a huge story, he broke a story that tells people (whether true or not) that LJW reporters don't know how to do their job properly.

kelloellot 11 years, 11 months ago

I agree that everyone is entitled to a mistake (granted it is a huge one) but does no one see that in no way does he take any blame for himself in the retraction that he wrote?

The worst part for you is that other newspapers were also contacted yet they decided to check it out first. Looks like LJW will have to approve posts before their highschool level journalists upload anything. This has to make you feel really good about your reporting:

Seth Peattie 11 years, 11 months ago

Shut up, walkdog262. Clown. Making mistakes? Common. Also, common, unfortunately for you and the LJW, checking sources before going with a story of that magnitude. Ridiculous to post that last night. Inexcusable. Don't let accuracy get in your way, guys. As long as your the first one to "break the story," who cares if it comes at the expense of validity, right?

Unforgivable mistake last night and you people know it.

This kind of journalism can ... SUCK IT!!!!!!

Seth Peattie 11 years, 11 months ago

Completely agree with kelloellot.

From that article...

"The Capital-Journal then placed calls, including two to numbers left by the caller, attempting to verify the caller's identity. "

Jackasses.