Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mangino named AP National Coach of the Year

Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino brought in another lunker of an award.

The Associated Press today named Mangino the national coach of the year, after the Jayhawks shocked college football by going 11-1 and earning an invitation to the Orange Bowl.

It's another big honor for what's becoming a big pile in the trophy room. Mangino already this month was named national coach of the year by ESPN and The Sporting News, and has won the Walter Camp Award and Woody Hayes National Coach of the Year award.

"Head coaches get far too much credit for winning, and far too much blame for losing," Mangino said last week of all the national attention he's received. "I'm taking it all in stride. I appreciate it, I'm thankful for it, but it really reflects the entire program. I couldn't do it alone, and I don't have the ability or talent to do it alone."

Mangino is in his sixth year as KU's head coach, with a career mark of 36-36. After signing a new contract in the summer of 2006 that paid him $1.5 million annually, the Jayhawks had a disappointing 6-6 season, raising questions about Mangino's job security.

Well, it's secure now. He's believed to be the first KU coach ever to win AP national coach-of-the-year honors, and will collect a $50,000 bonus - written into his contract - for winning the award.

"To be quite honest with you, I appreciate the awards that have been given to me. I'm humbled by it," Mangino said. "I'm not a smart guy � but I'm smart enough to figure out that it has to do with the players. I'm coaching the same way in 2007 that I did in 2002. We were 2-10 (in '02).

"You get the right kids, you get good assistant coaches that care about the kids, that care about winning, that are good teachers? Then you're going to win."

For more on Mangino winning the AP national coach of the year award, stay logged on to KUSports.com or pick up a copy of Thursday's Journal-World.

Comments

thejhawk93 6 years, 10 months ago

WAY TO GO COACH!!!! WE LOVE YOU! See you in Miami....

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 10 months ago

ohhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Good work coach...

"Rock Chalk JayHawk." - Wilt Chamberlain.

seattlehawk_78 6 years, 10 months ago

No shortage of worthy candidates but in my mind Mark is the most deserving and the clear choice for this award.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 10 months ago

He gets 50 grand for this award but a few weeks it was discussed he was to receive 100 grand to that date.

Nice added spending money.

Kevin Long 6 years, 10 months ago

That's a nice Christmas bonus! Congrats coach, you deserve it!

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 10 months ago

Great job, Coach!!!!

Now don't go leavin' us.

KU 6 years, 10 months ago

He says he's not a smart guy......Come on, Coach. You are brilliant. Well deserved.

But I guarantee you Mangino would rather go 10-2 or 11-2 again next year than will all the awards in the world.

Any updates on recruiting? This recognition can't hurt!

Carter Patterson 6 years, 10 months ago

Coach! Thanks for making football fun again in Lawrence...for the players and the alumni.

Now...go beat Va Tech!

speedy 6 years, 10 months ago

nice award coach!!! last year alums would have reverted to firing him and KU would have to start over--again. just gos to show what sticking to him and what it means to have a team of fellow coaches to bring the players along. good mix of players helps too. RESPECT!!

hawk_bred20 6 years, 10 months ago

Congrats Coach!

This is huge for recruiting. Every kid out there is going to know who won coach of the year! That is such a great accolade to tell a kid when he's visiting recruits. Go Hawks!

LAJayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk. Congrats coach. Much deserved and rather unsurprising to me. Hell of a year, now get those kids ready for Miami.

seattlehawk_78 6 years, 10 months ago

I agree KU but this is a nice feather in his cap. No matter what happens from this point on he will always have that award. Next year the expectations will be higher and as a consequence, winning the COY will be more difficult. A lot of fans wanted him gone after last season. I'm glad that those people who's opinion matters showed enough patience in him.

Next year will be tough, not because of who we play but I believe the conference overall will be better. For the first time in my memory, a conference title is within the realm of reasonable possibilities. It will be fun to start the season next year knowing that we can compete with anyone. But first, let's conquer Miami.

Toto_the_great 6 years, 10 months ago

"He's believed to be the first KU coach ever to win AP national coach-of-the-year honors"

Didn't Williams win an AP COY award? Yes, '92

see http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2391450

Toto_the_great 6 years, 10 months ago

But that is still awesome. Congrats coach! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

HawksWinAgain 6 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations Coach Mangino!!

Thank you for your hard work in leading KU Football to new heights!

Mangino_Maniac 6 years, 10 months ago

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! Congrats Coach!!!!

NH_JHawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Great job Coach Mangino! Congratulations!

lance1jhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Great job coach!!!!! All around team effort to garner another wonderful award. Beak 'Em in Miami!!!!!!!!

scootja32 6 years, 10 months ago

This is the "REAL" COY award. This is the one that counts and he won it.

William James 6 years, 10 months ago

The combination of Mangino and Self is light years better than the combination of Allen and Williams. Looking back, Bouls had to make a tough decision and he made the right one.
In effect, firing Allen meant that he would eventually lose Roy too, since Roy was such good buddies with Allen. Allen being fired caused Roy to get upset and made him decide he didnt like the new AD and the rest is history. I also should recognize Perkins for seeing that the right pieces had already been put in place and to trust in Self and Mangino. Now we have one of the best football coaches in the country. One of the best basketball coaches in the country. And an athletic director and basketball coach that supports the football program and wants and expects it to succeed. Dont get me wrong, Im sure they are nice guys. Ive never seen anything to contradict that, but good riddence the trio of Roy Williams, Terry Allen, and Bob Frederick are gone. A new age has begun at KU and the future couldnt be brighter.

seattlehawk_78 6 years, 10 months ago

jhwkfan1625,

I believe Mark's father was known as Bear. Hence the nickname Little Bear.