Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Rush court hearing is delayed

A case in Lawrence Municipal Court against Kansas University basketball player Brandon Rush has been continued to April 11 - after the basketball season is over.

Rush, a junior, was supposed to appear in court this morning on charges of failing to appear in court on two other occasions for traffic violations.

Instead, Rush's appearance in court this morning was entered by his attorney David Brown, according to the city prosecutor's office. His case was rescheduled before Judge Randy McGrath for 7 a.m., April 11.

The NCAA men's basketball championship will be played April 7 in San Antonio.

Rush was arrested last week on two warrants for failure to appear. McGrath ordered him to be transported to the Douglas County Jail where he posted $500 bond and was released.

Rush had been cited on Oct. 19 for speeding and in December 2006 for driving on the left of a roadway and not having proof of insurance.

Comments

JNgohawks 11 years, 10 months ago

That should be the last we ever hear of that situation. Saturday sure is a long way away.

Rock Klein 11 years, 10 months ago

Would that be the Friday following the national championship game? Hope Rush is busy playing basketball until then.

jman18562 11 years, 10 months ago

Are you kidding me? Why let something so small yet so distracting linger? Just take responsibility and get it over with! Why hire an attorney when you could spend less $$$ just paying the damn fines!

Jayhawk_Jerry 11 years, 10 months ago

It's pretty much over with for now. Brandon isn't going to think or worry about it for the next 4 months anyways. They wanted to postpone it so that it wouldn't be any further of a distraction during the season. Him going to a trial on this deal would cause a lot of attention.

This is the longest week of the year. Finals week and no games, sucks

Joe Ross 11 years, 10 months ago

Brandon, make the following mental memo please:

"Note to self (lower case "S"): Court date April 11th, 2008."

cscher 11 years, 10 months ago

Yep. He needs to pay his fines, get it over with, and work on his ballhandling. Hopefully he'll be wearing a national championship t-shirt to court.

Man, this IS a long week with no bball!

tis4tim 11 years, 10 months ago

Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News wrote a nice little column about Allen Field House. I'm not good w/ the hyperlinks, so you may have to copy and paste the link below...

Joe Ross 11 years, 10 months ago

My ADD is acting up again and my thoughts are running rampant. Does anyone remember the great over-the-head pass Christian Moody made to JR Giddens, when he (JR) made the three pointer? I wish I could find that on youtube.

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 10 months ago

ah, those were the days. that team should have been a Final Four team. that was a great, great play.

bulldawgs 11 years, 10 months ago

Perhaps he will have the $$$$ from the agent and be able to afford the fine...I am sure that JaRon and Kareem have no money to give him...

Joe Ross 11 years, 10 months ago

Chicago,

While I would like to take credit for the article posted, unfortunately I can not. Recognition for the genius of that discovery belongs to tis4tim.

Joe Ross 11 years, 10 months ago

Im not abreast of the latest legalese, but I dont think this is a trial, per se. I think he just has to show up for court and appear before a judge. Just guessing but he will probably be sentenced to so much time in jail, but be granted a diversion at the same appearance where he'll be placed on probation and have to pay his fines. Someone with more legal knowledge can straighten me out but Im absolutely certain he'll spend no jail time whatsoever.

seattlehawk_78 11 years, 10 months ago

I know someone who got his license suspended in another county in Kansas for almost the exact same thing and I believe his suspension was for two years. It's not a crime against another person and it doesn't carry any moral or ethical baggage but the courts take this kind of stuff pretty seriously.

I got tossed in the Douglass County holding tank for an expired drivers license and expired tags. I would have carved my name in the wooden bench but the screws confiscated my shank during the strip search.