Friday, December 7, 2007

Kansas guard Rush arrested

Junior failed to appear at court date for traffic violations

Rush arrested

KU basketball player Brandon Rush was arrested today on two warrants for failure to appear in court.

'Big fellas' star against EWU

It was a big night for the big fellas Wednesday at Allen Fieldhouse against Eastern Washington. The Jayhawks whipped the Big Sky Eagles, 85-47.

photo

KU basketball player Brandon Rush, left, with Michael Lee, graduate student manager for the KU men's basketball team, leaves the Douglas County Jail Thursday after Rush was arrested on two outstanding warrants for failure to appear in court for traffic violations. Rush was released from jail after posting $500 bond.

Kansas University junior basketball guard Brandon Rush was arrested on Thursday afternoon on two outstanding warrants for failure to appear in court for traffic violations.

The 6-foot-6 Rush was handcuffed and transported from Lawrence Municipal Court to Douglas County Jail where he was released after posting $500 bond.

Rush, who had come to court to take care of at least one of his traffic matters when he was arrested about 3 p.m., headed to Horejsi Center about 4 p.m., where he practiced with KU's team.

"We are disappointed because our players need to be more responsible when handling situations in dealing with the law. Brandon did not appear in court, therefore, this happened," said KU coach Bill Self, who indicated "any team punishment would be handled internally."

Self said Rush would not be suspended from the team and would be eligible to play in Saturday's 1 p.m. home game against DePaul.

"This is a costly lesson for him and a great lesson for the rest of our players," Self added.

Rush was charged in one case with driving with a suspended license and speeding on Oct. 19. He also faces charges from a December 2006 case for driving on the left of a roadway and having no proof of insurance.

He failed to make an appearance in the '06 case, and a warrant was issued. He failed to appear again on Nov. 28, date of the KU-Florida International game. His next court date has been set for Dec. 12.

"I'm not going to make excuses for him at all, but this isn't the first time something like this has happened (to individuals in society)," Self said. "Certainly you have to be more responsible. It's not an excuse. We've got to handle our business more responsibly."

Self said he was not taken by surprise Thursday.

"We knew that he needed to take care of a responsibility because we were told that," Self said. "When we were told that, we notified him, and he went to take care of it. Unfortunately it was too late.

"Traffic violations should be handled. All fines should be handled," Self added. "But it's made out to be a bigger deal than what it could have originally been if he'd been responsible from the outset (and appeared in court). Certainly he understands that."

As far as what internal team penalties Rush will face, Self said: "My dealings with Brandon and our team ... under these situations, I'm not going to make it public what we talk about or what we do."

¢

Injury report: KU freshman Tyrel Reed, who sprained his left ankle with 8:12 to play in Wednesday's win over Eastern Washington, did not practice on Thursday. A right ankle sprain had kept him out of the Jayhawks' previous two games.

"It is very very tender," Self said of the left ankle. "It's sore. He is questionable (for Saturday's game)."

Senior Sasha Kaun, who sprained his left ankle five minutes into Wednesday's game, practiced on Thursday. "He looked fine," Self said.

Both Kaun and Reed returned to the game after suffering the sprains on Wednesday.

¢

Early look at DePaul: The Blue Demons, who erased a 14-point second-half deficit to beat KU, 64-57, last December in Rosemont, Ill., have defeated Northwestern (54-53) and Texas A&M;/Corpus Christi (85-70) and lost to Creighton (74-62) and North Carolina A&T; (96-93). Senior guard Draelon Burns has scored 32 points in each of the last two games.

¢

Clinics: The KU men's basketball team's annual holiday clinic for boys and girls grades 3 through 8 will be held 9:30 a.m. until noon on Thursday, Dec. 27. Cost is $65. KU's women's team will host its holiday clinic for boys and girls kindergarten through 8th grade, from noon until 2 p.m., on Tuesday, Jan. 1. Cost is $15 per child and $5 per participating parent. Information on both clinics is available at kuathletics.com

Comments

yates33333 12 years, 9 months ago

Why handcuffs? Apparently, Douglas County or Lawrence needs publicity. It's a hick town with a first rate school and sports program. Always has been, always will be.

Jonathan Andrews 12 years, 9 months ago

I did the same exact thing in college. Some people forget about how much we have all grown since our days on the Hill.

Rush, pay better attention for the future, so you can lead us to a glorious April!

tis4tim 12 years, 9 months ago

I hate to say it, but I agree with jayhawkinatl on this one. How he doesn't get at least a one game suspension for this is amazing.

fansincewilt 12 years, 9 months ago

Rush failed to appear in a municipal court for some traffice related issues. That was a bad decision, but it is not a serious issue. He will learn from this and we need to be supportive. I doubt if this situation would deter one pro team. Self will handle this and teach Rush to be more responsible. Self is great for these guys. No big deal. Let's go out and beat DePaul on Saturday and not allow this to become a distraction. It's dumb to act like Rush has done some serious crime. Let's focus on DePaul.

cobweb 12 years, 9 months ago

Exactly why a lot of pro teams won't touch Rush in the draft. Too many good players out there to risk a first pick on an immature knucklehead.

Robert Brock 12 years, 9 months ago

Uh, cobweb, do you not remember how "immature" Jason Kidd behaved prior to his being taken in the NBA draft?

Brock

Hawklin 12 years, 9 months ago

cobweb is hilarious. The NBA is not going to "touch" Rush because he had a traffic ticket. Hahaha.

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 9 months ago

Unless Brandon is suspended, at least for one game, exactly how is this a "costly lesson for him"??? Give me a friggin' break, Coach Self!!!!! Quit coddling the kid!!!!

Nutflush21 12 years, 9 months ago

Yates- when someone has a warrant for their arrest signed by a judge, the police will serve said warrant if they come into contact with that person. That means placing them under arrest (even for a warrant for failure to appear, like Rush's). Its standard procedure. To suggest that DCSO or the LPD arrested Rush because they need publicity is just preposterous.

The bottomline is Rush was being irresponsible and hopefully he learns from this experience.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 9 months ago

I agree. I think he absolutely needs to be suspended for 1 game. Not because I think what he did was very serious, but Coach Self needs to make an example out of him. This isn't a bad time for it to happen either - sit him against Ohio next weekend.

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 9 months ago

I just think that no-games-lost just looks really, really bad from a discipline standpoint.

jayhawkinATL 12 years, 9 months ago

I agree, guys, it's not like the next few games are THAT critical.

KrazyKracker 12 years, 9 months ago

Shoot, I have atleast 3 unpaid parking tickets in Emporia. This is no big deal. And Emporia can kiss my ass too.

husbus 12 years, 9 months ago

cobweb ... i realize the "comments" section allows anyone to express their views. But, seriously dude, that was dumb.

okjhok 12 years, 9 months ago

Don't make comments on here about what Coach Self should do to reprimand Rush. You, like myself, are not in the picture, and not in a position question him. You want to know how Rush will pay? He'll pay out of his wallet, like the rest of society does. What does a basketball game have to do with it?

justanotherfan 12 years, 9 months ago

When I first saw the headline I was worried. I thought something serious had happened. But then I saw it was for a failure to appear and dismissed it completely. Why? You can get into law school with a failure to appear. It shows some poor judgment, irresponsibility and disorganization, but it's not like he got into a bar fight or stole something. He got a ticket and didn't pay his fine. No big deal. I do think that Self should probably either suspend him for a half or make him run for like an hour to send a message, but this isn't that big a deal.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 9 months ago

okjhok - A basketball game has nothing to do with it. The two are mutually exclusive. If this happened to you or me, no one would care. But since it happened to Brandon Rush of the University of Kansas Jayhawk Basketball team, Self probably needs to do something to help with the public perception of the incident.

The headline could be written a little differently. I about had a heart attack when I logged on today!

Studogg 12 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, not to be "that guy" but...Bedore, we played Florida ATLANTIC, not Florida International on 11/28. Not that big a deal, but still, come on, who's editing this stuff. A former Jayhawk even coaches the team. Seriously, guys.

okjhok 12 years, 9 months ago

Chicago...I respectfully disagree. If the public needs something from Self to change their perception of him or his program, that's their problem. I like coaches, like Self, who handle their business behind closed doors, because it's none of ours. He doesn't care what the masses think. He knows his players and how to handle them. Rush screwed up and got thrown in jail for it because that's what the law says. He had to pay to get out, and he'll have to pay more for the fines. That's how the system works. End of story.

JayCeph 12 years, 9 months ago

Here is an example of why the 'justice' system baffles me...

Rush went into the courthouse on his own volition to pay his fine and address the fact that he had made mistakes. Upon seeing him, running his profile through the computer and realizing a bench warrant had been issued for his arrest, the PD cuff him and incarcerate him. For failure to show at a court appearance... ?

It isn't like Rush is hard to find. If they (the PD) really needed to lock him up, then they should've done so when the warrant was issued.

The kid was at the courthouse to pay his fine and own up to mismanaging his time. An arrest wasn't necessary but it happened because a bunch of guys were 'just doing their jobs.' Yeah, right. Use a little discretion.

If they courts and our justice system want the general masses to use a little discretion and take responsibility for their actions, then the PD should follow their own advice and just call the judge or magistrate and clear the issue up right there while he (Rush) is already at the courthouse. Levy a heftier fine to pay for the original infraction, the bench warrant, administrative costs, etc. and be done with it... right there, right then.

There was no need to incarcerate him, hand cuff him, parade him around like he was Dillinger. This is just stupid and ludicrous. I won't accept the line that they 'were just doing their jobs.' If that were the case, then you wouldn't see cops speeding, not using their turn signal at least 100 feet before the turn, etc.

I don't really see why Self has to get involved at all. The damage (and penance) has been done and accounted for. In fact, too much has been made of this already and I'm afraid the majority of the ruckus was started by the PD. Can we focus on something more productive?

ps- Congratulations Mangino.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 9 months ago

ok - I see your point. I did like how Self came right out and said that any discipline will be handled behind privately. A nice way of saying "Don't ask me about this again". Obviously, a suspension would become public knowledge, and maybe we'll see it happen yet. It just seems that in these cases, often times a 1 game suspension for even the smallest infraction helps the situation go away. I want to read about the team on the court this season, not off of it, and any scrutiny brought on by a perception of "not doing enough" may shadow the team, escpecially through the media.

ku98 12 years, 9 months ago

This is no big deal, guys! I tought I was about to read about Brandon getting in a fight at a bar (Giddens) or hitting his girlfriend (Giles), or some other sort of crap that Lester Earl pulled back in the days... but no. I just read about a young guy with a couple of traffic violations... No big deal... and I am sure he did not pull a Chenowith by telling the cops "do you know who I am?"... So, let's not make this a bigger deal than it really is.
And unlike a lot of you here, I actually applaud Self for dealing with all this "internally". I am sure Brandon will learn his lesson.
You guys need to chill out!

Charles Shirley 12 years, 9 months ago

I also don't believe that what Rush did was that big of a deal. Who doesn't get a traffic ticket once in a while? He will pay for it monetarily, just like any of us would. However, I don't think the cops were grandstanding. Rush could have taken care of this by simply having a local attorney make an appearance on his behalf for all of the outstanding traffic issues at once. In this matter, the cop would not have had easy access to Rush when the outstanding warrants came to the judge's attention. Now, having said that Rush learned a tough lesson. He seems to be a good kid that made a small mistake of judgment.

My wife and I are traveling up to Lawrence from Houston for the Dec 29 game and I hope that all of the Hawks are completely healthy by then: Collins, Rush, Kaun, and Reed.

Go Hawks!

bmcmich1 12 years, 9 months ago

He had a bench warrant out on him. When a bench warrant is issued, they don't go find the person and arrest them on the spot. They wait until another violation occurs, or until they show up, which is what happened here.

Don't go branding Larry as a 'hick town with a good school,' DG county law enforcement just just did their job. They didn't call all area media outlets and say 'hey, we just arrested Brandon Rush!' It wasn't a publicity stunt, and Rush was treated just like every other citizen. The media got a hold of it and then it got blown out of proportion by fans.

How many people, just on these boards, have we seen who said 'that happened to me, too.' It was a stupid mistake, but a harmless and common one too. Let's not as fans let this thing spin out of control. I'll wager that the same people who are vilifying the Lawrence authorities are the same people who would whine that basketball players get special treatment had Brandon gotten off scot free.

It's up to us to not let this little incident get out of hand. It's easy for people to sit back and call for some form of discipline, but bottom line it's Coach Self's team and he will handle things the way he sees fit. If he doesn't suspend or punish B-Rush, fine, it's his choice. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill here.

JayCeph 12 years, 9 months ago

bmcmich1, you'd lose that bet with me... any day.

People 'just doing their jobs' are people who need to be replaced with machines. That excuse reminds me of the type of mediocrity that is plaguing our very existence.

"It was the least I could do... and never let it be said that I don't do the least I can do." -Anonymous

John Strayer 12 years, 9 months ago

Besides Brandon's slip up....

Anyone else concerned with all the sprained ankles? Don't they were ankle braces and/or receive tape jobs before each game/practice? If so, maybe KU ought to looking improving the process...this is getting ridiculous. I know it happens ocassionally, but to have 4 or 5 players with one at the same time seems odd.

eastTXjayhawk 12 years, 9 months ago

I suspect the worst that will come out of this is that we'll certainly see a larger version of the photo shown above (thanks for being there Richard Gwin, did you have a black and gold sweatshirt on too?) at most of the out of town games...but hey, it gets Michael Lee some free pub.

David Friend 12 years, 9 months ago

People People People. It is a few parking tickets! Give a guy a break. Hope none of you had a drink before you were legal to drink. By the way, when I was at KU and right after I graduated I was pulled over for speeding and yes there was a warrant out for me as I had a few unpaid paid parking tickets. I was given a ticket for speeding, driven down to the court house ( I got to drive my own car) and I paid the fines. No handcuffs. But I was not on the team so the cop had no M.O. Just common sense.

JayCeph 12 years, 9 months ago

jerseyhawk~ Ah, "common sense"... A misnomer if ever there was one.

I believe that so few people actually exhibit this trait that we should rename it to 'uncommon sense' and give it the respect it deserves.

A quality that is so fundamentally necessary for successful social interaction and proper functioning yet is so dreadfully absent and misunderstood.

I wish this trait would've been dusted off and exercised yesterday instead of certain people 'just doing their jobs.' Pity...

areyouserious 12 years, 9 months ago

Even if the next game was a big one, he should be punished.........it might teach him a good lesson to sit and watch while he lets his team down......what better life lesson than that?????

KUGrad04 12 years, 9 months ago

I can't believe some of the comments I am reading ! This is not a big deal at all ! Brandon Rush is a great Kid, this is simply a bit of irresponsibility. The guy has an insane schedule and made an unfortunate mistake. I'm embarrased to be associated with some of you "so called" Kansas Fans. Give the kid a break, he has done nothing but bust his butt for this university and don't forget the kid could have gone to any school he wanted. He chose kansas for a reason. Why don't some of you show him some support.

kunomu 12 years, 9 months ago

KUGrad04 - Well said. When this kid came here many of you thought this was going to be a regular thing for Brandon. The kid has done nothing but represent Kansas to the best of his ability. He is allowed one screw up, get off his back. This isn't anything major at all. Quit being stupid about this and realize the kid screwed up. If I followed you around all day I could probably find things that you screw up with worse than getting a traffic ticket and not appearing in court.

As for the LPD they saw an opportunity to make a public spectrum out of a good kid. I think Barney Fife is running the office.

Dale Kroening 12 years, 9 months ago

Totally blown out of proportion.Its not a big deal,just irresponsible on Brandons part and he put some bad pub on KU,for which hopefully he learns his lesson.Remember he is still just a kid.Sit him for 1 game and let it go.There are other more important things to be worrying about.GO JAYHAWKS!

PS: Congrats to Mangino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soapboxstew 12 years, 9 months ago

All of you white bread and mayo people drive me crazy. You never did anything wrong in your life? This is an innocent mistake. I did much, much worse things in college. I have spent some time in that jail for a similar situation. That was all they caught me doing (traffic violations). I also drank underage, smoked pot, had sex in in the dorms, drove drunk, got in one fight, skipped many classes, pissed in public, had open containers on campus, experimented with several other drugs, was drunk in public (and showing it) on more than 50 occasions, I'm sure there is some sort of vandalizing in my fraternity days, and that is just the short list of $hit I did in college. So Brandon is a bad guy? You know what, I think that you people need guys like Brandon to mess up, that way you can point your fingers at him and say, "That's the bad guy." (thank you Scarface)
In all seriousness, stop putting your higher morals all over a kid that had a traffic mishap. That is exactly why people around the country think that Kansans are bible belt wearin', white bread eatin', God fearin' rednecks. I know that you are not, I was there, I saw you, I love you. So stop proving those ignorant NYCers right. Get off of your high moral horse and try to remember what it was like when you were in college. Were you so much a saint that you can cast stones at this kid? Take a good look at your mistake ridden youth and give the kid a break. What, do you no longer want him around for the rest of the season?

soapboxstew 12 years, 9 months ago

Here, at KANSAS, we have our player's back.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 9 months ago

KUGrad- Don't paint me with that "so called" broad brush. He did not commit a serious crime, it probably was a simple oversight on his part with the dates. Doesn't make him a bad guy.

Unfortunately, in higher profile matters like this, if something is not done as discipline, then it tends to steal the focus from the team for the weeks and months to come. That's the only reason I say he should probably be sat for one game, even though I don't think he deserves to. It'll go away quicker that way.

bmcmich1 12 years, 9 months ago

If he gets suspended for one game, is this story magically going to go away? I don't see how suspending him for a game is going to make one iota of difference, except maybe shed more light on the deal. It's NOT a big deal, why treat it as such?

cobweb 12 years, 9 months ago

Laugh if you like but I spoke with a scout recently who told me that they pay a lot more attention to character than they used to. For a guy on the cusp, Rush better grow up. He's already viewed as an underachiever. There is a fine line between the NBA and going nowhere. Personally, I wouldn't want this guy in the foxhole with me.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 9 months ago

Maybe you're right - maybe a suspension doesn't make it go away. I'm just thinking about the program getting a bad rap as being "soft" on discipline. Regardless of the severity of the incident (even something almost meaningless like this), the program's detractors will jump all over it. It seems that a suspension during a cvakewalk game doesn't harm the team. Doesn't mean I don't have B Rush's "back", or am a "so called" fan. Just trying for the best possible outcome.

Chicago_JHawk 12 years, 9 months ago

On second thought, I guess a suspension could make it appear like the coaches/administrators themselves think of it as a serious incident. By doing nothing publicly and not discussing it further, it does indicate to the public that the team considers this a minor issue.

David Friend 12 years, 9 months ago

People, People, People. It is a parking ticket!!!

By the way NBA and Morality? That is an oxymoron. Just follow around the Jimmy Dolan and Isiah Thomas for a day.

cscher 12 years, 9 months ago

So, where was the coaching staff through all this? Didn't any of them know about ONE of the TWO court dates? Come on. Of course Brandon is a grown man and needs to be responsible, but he is a representative of a pretty prestigious basketball program. The behavior of players is reflective of the coaching staff. Maybe they should be a little more aware of what is going on off the court, especially COURT DATES.

David Friend 12 years, 9 months ago

cscher: arrest the coaching staff. Lets not stop there. Lets get Dr Hemmenway, the board of regents and the governor.

Its a parking ticket!!!!!!!!

Nutflush21 12 years, 9 months ago

bmcmich1- Its nice to see that finally someone post a comment who understands what happened. Jayceph read my first post and re-read bmc and maybe youll get a clue dude.

yates33333 12 years, 9 months ago

I think some of these posts are from graduates of the school in Columbia, Missouri. Forget it, this arrest is nothing. I doubt a single person who posted could deny receiving a traffic ticket. Likewise, I doubt a single person has not forgotten something important at some time. If this arrest is SOP then law enforcement in Lawrence, Douglas County, or Kansas needs to change its procedures to be reasonable. I don't believe this would have happened as it did to an ordinary Joe. I was wrong to call them "hicks." The "hicks" running Kansas when I was there had more "uncommon sense."

JayCeph 12 years, 9 months ago

Nutflush~

I'm not sure how your first post elucidates the 'practicality' of that procedure. I am aware that it is SOP and they were just doing their jobs so, perhaps you should re-read my posts and try to understand where I am coming from.

To sum up, they are lazy-law tactics that do nothing to further a sense of "justice."

If you feel like Rush needs to be punished (more than the fine, etc.), then you have lost your scope of the infraction.

I couldn't agree more with bmcmich.

So, what's your point?

rewood 12 years, 9 months ago

Who did Rush run into at Lawrence police, Barney Fife?

rousseau108 12 years, 9 months ago

Actually, the lawrence police had no say in the matter. they were called to municipal court because the JUDGE would not let rush pay the warrant and ORDERED that he be booked into the jail. i'm sure the cops would have preferred not to waste their time taking someone to jail when he was there to pay the warrants, but if the judge gives that order, the police have to carry it out. but it's just so much easier to spout uninformed comments about the police and blame them for every little problem you've ever had in your life. No news stories on the guy they caught with a stolen gun and drugs outside of Last Call, or the guy they arrested who tried to car-jack a girl near Club Axis with a gun. the news wouldn't want to write any stories about all the good stuff the cops do.

cscher 12 years, 9 months ago

jerseyhawk...There's no reason to blow it out of proportion. You're right, it is a parking ticket, but the court thought it was important enough to issue an arrest warrant for not following through. If you got one, I'm sure you would follow through and pay it, or do whatever you had to in order to resolve the manner. Or, the next time you get any kind of ticket, just go ahead and throw it away and see what happens. It's just a ticket, right?